Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2182756 - 11/15/13 11:26 AM Pleyel closed down.
Jonathan Baker Offline

Loc: New York City!
"Pleyel, the storied French piano manufacturer whose instruments were once favored by Chopin and Ravel, will close its workshop after two centuries of production,"

Link to the NY Times article: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/14/storied-french-piano-manufacturer-to-close/

One of the revelations of my life as a pianist was playing on a mid-19th century Pleyel. The sound was marvelous, unlike anything available today. It is difficult to describe, but it was a more compact, mellow, personal sound, rich with personality, and not like the big brassy sounds we routinely hear today. I hope this factory can survive, and that the aesthetic of firm does not die, whether or not this particular firm survives.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2182770 - 11/15/13 11:42 AM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Jonathan Baker]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Sad sad news! Everyone is feeling the pinch.

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2182795 - 11/15/13 12:17 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Jonathan Baker]
Piano World Online   blank

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (originally N...
Thanks Jonathan,

I always hate to see any piano manufacturers close down.
According to the article on The Telegraph (UK) they were the world's oldest continuously operating piano company.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...t-workshop.html

World's oldest piano maker Pleyel shuts last workshop
Pleyel, the French piano maker and world's oldest still in activity, to shut last workshop in Saint-Denis in symbolic blow for France's struggling industry

Pleyel, the world's oldest piano makers still in operation and the favourite of Frédéric Chopin, are to shut their last workshop in a symbolic blow for the once mighty flagship of French artistic savoir-faire and industry.

Since Ignaz Pleyel, an accomplished composer-musician and friend of Joseph Haydn, launched his first French manufacturing plant in 1807, the brand has continuously produced pianos for more than 200 years.

It was Pleyel who introduced the upright piano to France, who first used a metallic frame in his pianos and invented the sound known as "sustained".

His pianos' rich, velvety tones charmed Chopin, for whom Pleyel was the official piano supplier, but also a host of illustrious names including Liszt, Debussy, Grieg, Ravel and Stravinksy.

Many of the 250,000 Pleyels built in the past two centuries still furnish countless French homes, while the Salle Pleyel, designed to showcase them, is Paris' most prestigious concert hall.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#2182876 - 11/15/13 02:45 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Jonathan Baker]
Herr Weiss Offline

Loc: New York, N.Y.
Yesterday I posted something similar in the Piano Tuners-Technicians Forum. Eighty views and counting as I write this, still not even a symphathy card of sorts. shocked

I guess they(piano techs)don't really love pianos as they pretend to.

HW

#2182897 - 11/15/13 03:18 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Herr Weiss]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Originally Posted By: Herr Weiss
I guess they (piano techs) don't really love pianos as they pretend to.

You have found the truth!

They don't like pianists much, either.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2182902 - 11/15/13 03:36 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Herr Weiss]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Herr Weiss
Yesterday I posted something similar in the Piano Tuners-Technicians Forum. Eighty views and counting as I write this, still not even a symphathy card of sorts. shocked

I guess they(piano techs)don't really love pianos as they pretend to.
Maybe partly due to the fact that they have been mostly closed down for quite a few years if I remember correctly, so this is not really news. They are not listed in the latest issue of PB. I think they were only making a handful of piano per year for some time now.

#2182908 - 11/15/13 03:52 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Jonathan Baker]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
I wonder if this could have come about because they had a mediocre product, no marketing and terrible management?

Nah, probably not.

Probably just the demise of Western culture.

#2182918 - 11/15/13 04:07 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Jonathan Baker]
analogguy Offline

Loc: Redmond, WA
Very sad news.

I have always wanted to play a Pleyel ever since I first read about them in "The Piano Shop on the Left Banke" by Thad Carhart. This is a wonderful book, btw, about an American ex-pat, living in Paris, who discovers the beauty and magic of a secretive, little piano shop in the Left Banke. Definitely worth the read by anyone who loves pianos and a great story.

#2182922 - 11/15/13 04:13 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: analogguy]
Jonathan Baker Offline

Originally Posted By: analogguy
Very sad news.I have always wanted to play a Pleyel ever since I first read about them in "The Piano Shop on the Left Banke" by Thad Carhart. This is a wonderful book, btw, about an American ex-pat, living in Paris, who discovers the beauty and magic of a secretive, little piano shop in the Left Banke. Definitely worth the read by anyone who loves pianos and a great story.

The Pleyel I played was at its best as a salon instrument - suited to the acoustics of a living room. Every major piano maker I know voices their instruments quite LOUD and too often pianists are forced to practice at all times with the lid entirely shut, with the music rack sitting on top of the lid.

But the Pleyel was voiced perfectly for a living room with a non-violent attack and not the garish over-kill of sound. Unlike so many modern pianos, the Pleyels were never intended to be placed in nightclubs where they would have to compete with the ice-grinder at the bar for auditory domination, nor were they intended to accompany 30 rowdy children in a school choir.

I feel about the Pleyel the way I feel about certain vintage sports cars: can't they just rebuild these again? They were great as originally designed.

#2182927 - 11/15/13 04:26 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Jonathan Baker]
Steve Cohen Online   content

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Sad indeed.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2182937 - 11/15/13 04:39 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Jonathan Baker]
VGrantano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
As some of you know, I was involved with Pleyel,twice.First while with Geneva. Secondly when I retired, I worked with them trying to get them restarted in the U.S.
I knew they had an impossable task ahead when the Pres. told me their plan of attack was to raise the price of pianos and make less of them. That would make them more profit.
Add to the problem the fact that not one American Finance company would touch them. (Floor Plan).
As someone said above, they really were out of business for a few years. They closed the factory in Ales quite a while ago. Have been "working' in a small shop outside of Paris.

I got a free trip to Paris and to Provance out of it.

I will say though, it was one heck of a piano.

#2182945 - 11/15/13 04:49 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Herr Weiss Offline

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty

They don't like pianists much, either.

Very sad to hear that MM.

I've spent enough time in the Piano-Tuner-Tech Forum to know that they also don't like each other very much. There is sometimes, constant, endless quibbling about nothing.

HW

#2182974 - 11/15/13 05:33 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Jonathan Baker]

True, HW. They're not a very well tempered group.

#2182989 - 11/15/13 05:51 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Jonathan Baker]
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

Loc: Northern Virgina
I came across a story about this a couple days ago. The description made it sound more like they had been a service/repair shop in recent years. Sad nonetheless, when the longest operating [anything] shuts down.

#2182992 - 11/15/13 05:53 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Jonathan Baker]
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

Loc: Northern Virgina
Someone will probably buy the name and start putting it on imported pianos (or does that only work with German names?).

#2182993 - 11/15/13 05:54 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Herr Weiss Offline

True, HW. They're not a very well tempered group.
thumb

LOL - That was a good one!!

May I add, full of inharmonicity, just like my spinet!!

Cheers, HW

#2182998 - 11/15/13 06:01 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Jonathan Baker]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Mine is a very nice guy. Haven't seen him posting much on Tuner/Tech lately, though.

A shame about Pleyel. They did so much for the development of the modern piano. And, as J. Baker very truly observed, they were voiced for playing in the home--- an aspect badly neglected by many more recent makers. Maybe it was because the hearing aid had not been invented in their day, and they did not wish to deafen their customer base. Of course, that is just a guess.

#2183020 - 11/15/13 06:42 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Jonathan Baker]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Those posting on the Technicians Forum are no more inclined to disagree/argue than those posting on any other forum. In fact, I'd say they are far less inclined to argue. For a long time the forum did not even require a moderator(not sure if it has one now).

I've known a large number of piano techs, and I found them all extremely interested in pianos and also in their customers (pianists).

#2183022 - 11/15/13 06:48 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Jonathan Baker]

Actually, Pianist Corner is worse.

(But, they gleefully enjoy the rancor.)

#2183040 - 11/15/13 07:29 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: pianoloverus]
Herr Weiss Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Those posting on the Technicians Forum are no more inclined to disagree/argue than those posting on any other forum. In fact, I'd say they are far less inclined to argue. For a long time the forum did not even require a moderator(not sure if it has one now).

I've known a large number of piano techs, and I found them all extremely interested in pianos and also in their customers (pianists).

Please, don't get me wrong.
As an aspiring piano tuner, I am very grateful to all who make the Piano-Tuner-Tech Forum an encyclopedic source of information. But, there is no denying that there is a pervasive "I am better than you" mentality, hand in hand, of course, with a lot of camaraderie.

Well, time to stop burning bridges and just say a final farewell to Pleyel, for sure, one of the most beautiful sounding pianos I ever had the pleasure to play.

HW

#2183069 - 11/15/13 08:51 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: analogguy]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
Originally Posted By: analogguy
Very sad news.

I have always wanted to play a Pleyel ever since I first read about them in "The Piano Shop on the Left Banke" by Thad Carhart. This is a wonderful book, btw, about an American ex-pat, living in Paris, who discovers the beauty and magic of a secretive, little piano shop in the Left Banke. Definitely worth the read by anyone who loves pianos and a great story.

I disagree about the book. I found it pedestrian and slight. Then again I seem to hate everything that everyone else likes.

#2183074 - 11/15/13 09:06 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: KurtZ]

Originally Posted By: KurtZ
Then again I seem to hate everything that everyone else likes.

Does that tell you anything?

#2183087 - 11/15/13 09:34 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Jonathan Baker]
Lluís Offline

Loc: Barcelona,Spain, European Unio...
Absolute bad news, I have to say but, that Pleyel lasts pianos were very far away from their original filosofy (Ofcourse times changes). Anyway, they have always tried to give a particular delicate sound (Very french), wich in fact is nothing more than a contradiction with the actual design of modern pianos.

About Pleyels from mid XIXth century , I have to say that this is in my opinion the filosofy that this brand had to archieve to reach the popularity they deserve instead of doing high quality furniture designs with a very disappointing sonority in most of XXth century.

I've been seen someone who asked that they had to rebuild this , I'm completly agree , but ofcourse that would be very high-priced instruments and also they would gave money, but at this high level point of artistic expresion, in my opinion, the conception of the industrialized world had killed any remain of craftmanship , special dedication , and filosofy in the sonority of instruments, getting all an "standard", there's nothing more interesting than taking a look at 1820-1830 period Pleyels wich there were many experimental and rares models, where the "industry" were in full contact with artists who were giving great feedback.

Actually, there's an american who is specialized in reproducing copies of XIXth century fortepianos, the very well known Paul McNulty, so the answer is yes, there are people who builds it, anyway the price of a brand new Pleyel fortepiano is 120.000 € (Most basic model) , wich in my opinion is not really high priced for such a high quality instrument. Also restored fortepianos from same period are about 50.000 € to 70.000 € if restored by good people. This high prices for the nowayads market are completly out of time and if the porpose of making this kind of instruments again is to get money I don't think is the way, first must come a new conception of music and art in general.

1855 Pleyel Pianino (Restoring -> www.pleyelrestoration.blogspot.com )

#2183156 - 11/16/13 12:42 AM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Minnesota Marty]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA

O we do Marty, we do...

...(Madame duFarge cackles with her knitting needles clacking... <<le guillotine! le guillotine!>>)

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2183158 - 11/16/13 12:50 AM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Jonathan Baker]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
hi Jon,

The last modern Pleyel I played was a 6 feet-4 instrument built in the late 80s, owned by a friend of mine who lived in a wonderful 2nd Empire apartment in the 7th arrondisement in Paris, complete with Napoleonic ceiling frescoes, gilt cornices, and monumental draperies. It was not exceptionally responsive, had a rather limited palette, and a somewhat uninteresting timbre despite excellent regulation and voicing by a very good tech there, who I knew personally.

If this is what they have become lately, despite what happened in the 19th century, I'm not surprised they've closed their doors.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2183405 - 11/16/13 02:10 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Jonathan Baker]
Lluís Offline

Loc: Barcelona,Spain, European Unio...
Imposible to compare a 1830's period Pleyel with a 1980 Pleyel, different manufacturers,era, artistic conception, industry, technologies and country (Schimmel were in charge of Pleyel in 1980's). The only thing in common is the name Pleyel. Thats why I'm not sad with this news. For me Pleyel closed in late 1860's , ten years after Camile died.

1855 Pleyel Pianino (Restoring -> www.pleyelrestoration.blogspot.com )

#2183455 - 11/16/13 03:53 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: laguna_greg]
Jonathan Baker Offline

Hello Greg - you have a good point about the contemporary Pleyels being lackluster, something verified by Lluis in the following post as well.

Pleyel or no Pleyel, what I would like to see on the market place is a parlor grand - let's say 6 feet, that does not pretend to sound like a brass band, but is a true parlor grand without apology, specifically designed for serious pianists practicing and teaching in their living rooms.

Some may point out that Bluthner and Bosendorfer do this quite well already, and I would point out that most working musicians do not make the kind of money that hedge fund managers do in order to purchase one. But first the aesthetic goal must be there, and I do not always get the impression that quality of sound is as valued as it once was, either by piano manufacturers or by pianists.

#2183500 - 11/16/13 05:56 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Jonathan Baker]

I would suggest that you try a Charles Walter W-175 or W-190.

#2183524 - 11/16/13 06:31 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: laguna_greg]
Jean Claude Offline

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: laguna_greg

O we do Marty, we do...

...(Madame duFarge cackles with her knitting needles clacking... <<le guillotine! le guillotine!>>)

Not that I wish to be rancourous but guillotine is a feminine noun in French so unless the lady is an imposter (The Scarlet Pimpernel perhaps) she would indupitably have cackled 'la guillotine, la guillotine'.

#2183572 - 11/16/13 07:56 PM Re: Pleyel closed down. [Re: Jonathan Baker]
BerndAB Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
The old Pleyel Comp. (together with the brands Gaveau and Erard) stopped their piano production in the North of Paris (St. Denis) yet 1970.

Schimmel, Braunschweig, Germany, bought the brands rights and built grands labelled Pleyel and Gaveau (don’t know if also Erard..) with Schimmel technique inside and some nicier decorum outside, until 1994.

The brands rights were then bought back from Schimmel by a group of frenchmen who established newly under the name of "Manufacture Française de Pianos". They established a manufacture in Ales, southern France, near the Pyrenees. This factory seems to have been closed after 10 or 12 years. They went – with a smaller group of piano techs - to some rooms in the old sites of Paris-St.Denis.

There shall be end of production at end of this year. The group seemes not to be bancrupt, they will yet sell stocked pianos. But they no longer want to loose so much money, Some days ago I’ve seen (IIRC) figures that related to a turnover (“revenues”, i.e. pianos sold) of around 650.000 Euros (in 2012?) they had losses of 1.7 mio. Euro which means that for every grand of maybe 100.000 Euros they had gone into costs of 400.000 Euros… Nobody can stand these figures for a long time… (maybe only a rich hobbyist like Mr Paulson…)

I estimate that another piano manufacturer might be interested in the brands rights again.

= = = =

Sme internet / Wikipedia sources:

Wikipedia article about Pleyel

The french article is a little bit more detailled. There you’ll find some names of the persons and bank involved.

article about Sebastien Erard

article about Gaveau

Also the name of the musician Rameau (18th century) was found in some key covers – without having seen any factory or company named Rameau which built Rameau pianos solely (i.e. "badge engineering" like w. automobiles, Morris Mini, Austin Mini, Wolseley Hornet etc.).

= = =

A trial for a short “history of decline”..

It is clear that the old Pleyel corp. commercially slightly died with the success of the "système americaine" (i.e. overstringing and one-piece cast iron frame) yet in the 1860ies, like Luis had said. 1867 there was the World Exposition in Paris… Where after a first success of the american paino manufacturers Steinway and Chickering in London 1862 nobody else than the french any longer had thoght that the french pianos were still the best in the World.

Starting in the 1880ies they (Erard, Pleyel, Gaveau, maybe Boisselot of Marseille also) no longer sold many pianos to Australia - the Germans had taken over the Australian region wholly. Around 1900 the french piano manufacturers then "converted" to overstringing... 41 years after Henry Steinway's grand-overstringing patent..!!..

Remember: the Two Big French (Pleyel and Erard) over decennies hated the one-piece cast iron frame and thought it responsible for damaging the "fine tone"...which Frederic Chopin had liked so much. "Stiff upper lip" et cetera, french hypertrophy?

The very "fine and nice tone" of the french grands, the best pianos in the world around 1850, were based on the old steel wire (before Bessemer invented his new type of steel in 1856) plus hammers acc. to patents of Henri Hertz which were made of up to nine!! handcrafted !!! layers of wood, leather, felt, rabbit felt, wool felt et cetera, starting on the mahogany inside with the harder layers, to the outside with consistence to feather materials (often to refurbish..) which could only be produced by hand, strip by strip…, and by extremely experienced craftsmen.

Alfred Dolge did other… U remember..

A set of Hertz hammers alone might have caused higher production costs than a whole Steinway D concert grand around 1890?

The french pianos died a commercial death – yet 120 years before. They could (and wanted?) no longer to compete. First they thought that they had the better arguments, and when this was no longer valid, they had lost so much market share that they were unable to manage a 180° turnaround.

Rest in peace, mes cheres Monsieurs Ignace and Camille Pleyel. You had given the musical world so much.. We pianists will be forever thankful because you handed out your wonderful pianos to Monsieur Chopin.

You once built the best pianos of the whole world.

But this was 170 years ago.

D 1877 satin black plain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (accordeur, ajames, 36251, 40 invisible), 1954 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156065 Topics
2291766 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Where is the new blood?
by Markarian
07/22/14 03:53 PM
Please Help!!
by OliviaWalter
07/22/14 01:39 PM
Performing Chopin's preludes
by JoelW
07/22/14 01:31 PM
Stephen Hough - Advice for talented piano students
by fnork
07/22/14 12:58 PM
Getting started with MIDI: One question.
by 90SITA
07/22/14 12:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission