2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2182756 11/15/13 12:26 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
"Pleyel, the storied French piano manufacturer whose instruments were once favored by Chopin and Ravel, will close its workshop after two centuries of production,"

Link to the NY Times article: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/14/storied-french-piano-manufacturer-to-close/

One of the revelations of my life as a pianist was playing on a mid-19th century Pleyel. The sound was marvelous, unlike anything available today. It is difficult to describe, but it was a more compact, mellow, personal sound, rich with personality, and not like the big brassy sounds we routinely hear today. I hope this factory can survive, and that the aesthetic of firm does not die, whether or not this particular firm survives.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sad sad news! Everyone is feeling the pinch.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks Jonathan,

I always hate to see any piano manufacturers close down.
According to the article on The Telegraph (UK) they were the world's oldest continuously operating piano company.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...no-maker-Pleyel-shuts-last-workshop.html

World's oldest piano maker Pleyel shuts last workshop
Pleyel, the French piano maker and world's oldest still in activity, to shut last workshop in Saint-Denis in symbolic blow for France's struggling industry

Pleyel, the world's oldest piano makers still in operation and the favourite of Frédéric Chopin, are to shut their last workshop in a symbolic blow for the once mighty flagship of French artistic savoir-faire and industry.

Since Ignaz Pleyel, an accomplished composer-musician and friend of Joseph Haydn, launched his first French manufacturing plant in 1807, the brand has continuously produced pianos for more than 200 years.

It was Pleyel who introduced the upright piano to France, who first used a metallic frame in his pianos and invented the sound known as "sustained".

His pianos' rich, velvety tones charmed Chopin, for whom Pleyel was the official piano supplier, but also a host of illustrious names including Liszt, Debussy, Grieg, Ravel and Stravinksy.

Many of the 250,000 Pleyels built in the past two centuries still furnish countless French homes, while the Salle Pleyel, designed to showcase them, is Paris' most prestigious concert hall.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

H
H
Yesterday I posted something similar in the Piano Tuners-Technicians Forum. Eighty views and counting as I write this, still not even a symphathy card of sorts. shocked

I guess they(piano techs)don't really love pianos as they pretend to.

HW

"Respond intelligently, even to unintelligent treatment."
-Lao Tzu

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss
I guess they (piano techs) don't really love pianos as they pretend to.

[Linked Image]

You have found the truth!

They don't like pianists much, either.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss
Yesterday I posted something similar in the Piano Tuners-Technicians Forum. Eighty views and counting as I write this, still not even a symphathy card of sorts. shocked

I guess they(piano techs)don't really love pianos as they pretend to.
Maybe partly due to the fact that they have been mostly closed down for quite a few years if I remember correctly, so this is not really news. They are not listed in the latest issue of PB. I think they were only making a handful of piano per year for some time now.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I wonder if this could have come about because they had a mediocre product, no marketing and terrible management?

Nah, probably not.

Probably just the demise of Western culture.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
A
A
Very sad news.

I have always wanted to play a Pleyel ever since I first read about them in "The Piano Shop on the Left Banke" by Thad Carhart. This is a wonderful book, btw, about an American ex-pat, living in Paris, who discovers the beauty and magic of a secretive, little piano shop in the Left Banke. Definitely worth the read by anyone who loves pianos and a great story.

J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by analogguy
Very sad news.I have always wanted to play a Pleyel ever since I first read about them in "The Piano Shop on the Left Banke" by Thad Carhart. This is a wonderful book, btw, about an American ex-pat, living in Paris, who discovers the beauty and magic of a secretive, little piano shop in the Left Banke. Definitely worth the read by anyone who loves pianos and a great story.

The Pleyel I played was at its best as a salon instrument - suited to the acoustics of a living room. Every major piano maker I know voices their instruments quite LOUD and too often pianists are forced to practice at all times with the lid entirely shut, with the music rack sitting on top of the lid.

But the Pleyel was voiced perfectly for a living room with a non-violent attack and not the garish over-kill of sound. Unlike so many modern pianos, the Pleyels were never intended to be placed in nightclubs where they would have to compete with the ice-grinder at the bar for auditory domination, nor were they intended to accompany 30 rowdy children in a school choir.

I feel about the Pleyel the way I feel about certain vintage sports cars: can't they just rebuild these again? They were great as originally designed.

S
S
Sad indeed.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
As some of you know, I was involved with Pleyel,twice.First while with Geneva. Secondly when I retired, I worked with them trying to get them restarted in the U.S.
I knew they had an impossable task ahead when the Pres. told me their plan of attack was to raise the price of pianos and make less of them. That would make them more profit.
Add to the problem the fact that not one American Finance company would touch them. (Floor Plan).
As someone said above, they really were out of business for a few years. They closed the factory in Ales quite a while ago. Have been "working' in a small shop outside of Paris.

I got a free trip to Paris and to Provance out of it.

I will say though, it was one heck of a piano.

H
H
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty

They don't like pianists much, either.

Very sad to hear that MM.

I've spent enough time in the Piano-Tuner-Tech Forum to know that they also don't like each other very much. There is sometimes, constant, endless quibbling about nothing.

HW

-Lao Tzu

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
True, HW. They're not a very well tempered group.

Marty in Minnesota

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
I came across a story about this a couple days ago. The description made it sound more like they had been a service/repair shop in recent years. Sad nonetheless, when the longest operating [anything] shuts down.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Someone will probably buy the name and start putting it on imported pianos (or does that only work with German names?).

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

H
H
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
True, HW. They're not a very well tempered group.
thumb

LOL - That was a good one!!

May I add, full of inharmonicity, just like my spinet!!

Cheers, HW

-Lao Tzu
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Mine is a very nice guy. Haven't seen him posting much on Tuner/Tech lately, though.

A shame about Pleyel. They did so much for the development of the modern piano. And, as J. Baker very truly observed, they were voiced for playing in the home--- an aspect badly neglected by many more recent makers. Maybe it was because the hearing aid had not been invented in their day, and they did not wish to deafen their customer base. Of course, that is just a guess.

Clef

Online Content
Those posting on the Technicians Forum are no more inclined to disagree/argue than those posting on any other forum. In fact, I'd say they are far less inclined to argue. For a long time the forum did not even require a moderator(not sure if it has one now).

I've known a large number of piano techs, and I found them all extremely interested in pianos and also in their customers (pianists).

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Actually, Pianist Corner is worse.

(But, they gleefully enjoy the rancor.)

Marty in Minnesota

H
H
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Those posting on the Technicians Forum are no more inclined to disagree/argue than those posting on any other forum. In fact, I'd say they are far less inclined to argue. For a long time the forum did not even require a moderator(not sure if it has one now).

I've known a large number of piano techs, and I found them all extremely interested in pianos and also in their customers (pianists).

Please, don't get me wrong.
As an aspiring piano tuner, I am very grateful to all who make the Piano-Tuner-Tech Forum an encyclopedic source of information. But, there is no denying that there is a pervasive "I am better than you" mentality, hand in hand, of course, with a lot of camaraderie.

Well, time to stop burning bridges and just say a final farewell to Pleyel, for sure, one of the most beautiful sounding pianos I ever had the pleasure to play.

HW

-Lao Tzu
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission