Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#218336 - 04/03/08 12:29 AM Must have (used) grand
Singingteacher Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Hello all,

I'm a singing teacher who uses my piano primarily for scales and some accompanying. I've developed neck problems from craning around at my upright to see what my students are doing with their jaws, heads, breathing, etc. while I play ... so I really need a grand piano. Of course, I'm on a tight budget. I've learned some about pianos over the years, have read this forum, and have been scouring Craigslist for a few months. I'm interested in your opinions about these pianos:

1) 1987 Zimmermann in pretty much perfect shape. Plays a little stiff, but no mechanical problems.
2) 1925 George Steck, 5'4" or so, used to be a player piano. Needs pitch raise, all else good.
3) 1930s-ish Kranich and Bach, small soundboard crack, keeps tune, recent repair work.

I've visited/played five different pianos. Lots of soundboard cracks in the frozen north where I live!

Thanks for your input...

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#218337 - 04/03/08 12:32 AM Re: Must have (used) grand
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Keep looking.

#218338 - 04/03/08 12:40 AM Re: Must have (used) grand
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Following up on BDB's post, when buying used, you're substituting time for money.

Work Craigslist, of course, but don't exclude dealers from your search. Jim Laabs in Stevens Point is a multi-line dealer who's posted some fine deals on eBay. You might want to check with him re trade-ins.

In general, a three- to five-year-old instrument is a good choice, because the original buyer will have taken the initial depreciation hit and - assuming that the piano is not being sold by a music school - no substantial repairs will be required.

Patience and persistence.

#218339 - 04/03/08 05:18 AM Re: Must have (used) grand
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
Pickings must be slim in your part of town in that it would be tough to recommend any of the three options in good conscience. As BDB said "keep looking" Post some other options and the pros will steer you to the right choice. ;\)
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#218340 - 04/03/08 09:25 AM Re: Must have (used) grand
MJinMN Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Jim Laabs also posts their used inventory online if you want to check it out to see if there are any good prospects before making any drive.

-Matt

#218341 - 04/03/08 09:52 AM Re: Must have (used) grand
Singingteacher Offline

I also visited a few local dealers, but didn't find anything in my price range. After increasing my price point (today), I can add:

1) Kimball 5'2"
2) Chickering baby grand
3) Cable 5'2" baby grand
4) Young Chang/Ridgewood, 2000
5) Howard baby grand

People are not posting the year of their pianos, so I'm assuming those pianos are more than 10-15 years old (otherwise, they'd post a year).

May I also ask: Why "no" on the Zimmermann? It has been rarely played, very well maintained.

#218342 - 04/03/08 10:22 AM Re: Must have (used) grand
hotkeys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massapequa, NY
Welcome to the forums, SingingTeacher! \:\)

I started searching for a piano myself and I set strict budgets at the beginning. Before you do some serious shopping, get a copy of Larry Fine's The Piano Book. You will save yourself some time and heartache by reading this book and the yearly supplement that comes with it.

If you are serious about buying one of the pianos you listed in your post, bring a piano technician with you to check out the instrument before you commit payment to the seller. You also want to consider if you may have to get the instrument restored later.

- Mark

#218343 - 04/03/08 10:29 AM Re: Must have (used) grand
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hi Singingteacher, welcome to the PW forum.

I’m no expert, and I’m sure others will respond to your question about the Zimmermann; however, it is my understanding that the Zimmermann brand is an East German manufactured piano and does not have a good reputation in terms of quality. But, I would imagine that there are exceptions to every rule (or maybe not).

Of course, just about every brand of piano made (even Steinway & Sons) has been criticized in one way or another on this forum.

Buy the one that you like the best and can afford.

Best regards,

Rickster

#218344 - 04/03/08 10:32 AM Re: Must have (used) grand
Singingteacher Offline

Thanks, Mark! I did have a piano tech along when I visited two pianos. He only recommended one of them -- the Zimmermann, which although it's a 1987, plays like it's brand new. I think it was basically a furniture piece. It had the following work last July:

Tightened screws, reshaped hammers, removed friction from keys, cleaned, lubricated. Nothing else needed/recommended.

Tuned regularly in past three years. Before that, not so much. Holds tune very well.

I'm really leaning toward this piano, although I'm used to a much lighter action, which I find more common on the older pianos. Eventually, I think I would get used to the action. My daughter will start playing next year, and I think it would be better for her to learn on a piano with a stronger action.

I welcome your thoughts.

#218345 - 04/03/08 11:52 AM Re: Must have (used) grand
Singingteacher Offline

Thank you, Rickster, for the info about Zimmermann. I've done some reading, and understand they were acquired by Beckstein (after my piano was made, however).

Would you, or anyone else, elaborate on the quality issues with a Zimmermann? Does this mean that it's going to start needing lots of work? If yes, what kind would you see on a lower-quality piano vs. higher-quality? Also, at what point time-wise might one expect to start seeing issues with pianos, of any quality? What about a lower-quality piano that's been very well maintained?

Hopefully, these are interesting questions for everyone. Thanks also to Matt, pianobroker, FogvilleLad, and BDB for your posts.

#218346 - 04/03/08 12:45 PM Re: Must have (used) grand
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hi Singingteacher.

It sounds like you like the Zimmermann. Keep in mind that I do not have any direct experience with the Zimmermann brand, other than the fact that I did look at an older Zimmermann upright that I liked the cabinet on; a piano dealer had it and they wanted too much for it. That is what spurred me to do some research on the brand and I read some negative reviews (many of them on this forum). Do a search of the Zimmermann brand in the archives here and see what you come up with.

If you like the piano and the technician gave it a good bill of health (and the price is right), I see no reason for you not to buy it. Like I said, you will get negative reviews on just about every brand under the sun on the PW forums.

Best of luck with your search for a nice pre-owned grand.

Rickster

#218347 - 04/03/08 04:50 PM Re: Must have (used) grand
Singingteacher Offline

Well, after reading the Zimmermann posts, I'm worried that I'm going to have damper problems with the Zimmermann. However, it is VERY inexpensive (although one online post did say he wouldn't even take one if it were given to him).

Any opinions about these pianos? I might be able to swing them:

1) 2000 Young Chang/Ridgewood
2) 1992 Howard, 5'8"
3) 1910 Chickering

Thanks again to all who've posted!

#218348 - 04/03/08 05:41 PM Re: Must have (used) grand
Barbara G Offline

Loc: N. Texas
Please remember that pianos are very complex machines. There are nearly 10,000 parts in a piano. Each of the 88 keys has about 40 different adjustment points. Even after a manafacturer does a good or very good job of making and adjusting, it is shipped and allowed to settle. Then a good store will spend many hours readjusting and prepping the piano again. After several years the piano will need the $1,000 of tech time readjusting and voicing the piano again. So really plan on spending this money on any piano you buy. The 1910 Chickering may have been rebuild a few years ago and be a wonderful piano which just needs some perfecting. Or again it may be a disaster needing thousands of $s rebuilding. So a 1910 Chickering may be worth $500 or $25,000. Condition is very important.

#218349 - 04/04/08 11:37 PM Re: Must have (used) grand
Singingteacher Offline

Thanks, Jordang. I do understand. I was hoping to avoid the long drive to check out a piano in person ... but I think there's really no way to avoid it, because people selling a piano are biased in favor of their piano. So while someone says "it's in great condition," I won't know until I get there. I understand now why people buy from dealers ... you can see so many more pianos at once!

#218350 - 04/08/08 07:02 PM Re: Must have (used) grand
skyblanche Offline

Loc: Canada
I support BDB,

Keep looking.

You are a person who uses a piano daily and for some hours...you need a reliable instrument. Especially for singers.

I would suggest at least tier three piano...if not two.

I understand that cost is a factor...but it is less of an issue over time, considering what you will spend to keep the tier fives/fours/threes in basic good shape for your studio.

Don't forget a good instrument inpires and attracts students.

Good luck.

skyblanche

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
75 registered (bennevis, AndrewJCW, barbaram, allakart, 15 invisible), 1224 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75843 Members
42 Forums
156798 Topics
2303915 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 02:00 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 01:33 AM
My Steinway M birth information.
by ciftwood
08/19/14 08:30 PM
Breathy tone
by JoelW
08/19/14 07:59 PM
HELLO!!
by Synner
08/19/14 07:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission