Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2183478 - 11/16/13 05:00 PM A question about (unequal) temperaments on recent DPs
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

The 'out of tune'-thread reminded me of an old problem I have when experimenting and playing with unequal temperaments/microtonality.

With my old (and extremely flexible) Kurzweil K2500R I could set up things such that a part of the keyboard (say the lowest or highest octave) was reserved for quick changes of the base key of an unequal temperament (hitting a G, say, changed the base key to G, etc.). This enabled me to play along with these temperaments even in pieces that required heavy modulation (and thus base key changes). Does any of the recent DP's (or workstations, for that matter) allow to be set up in this way?

I know it's an odd question, but still... if anyone knows an answer I would be interested.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2187178 - 11/23/13 05:09 AM Re: A question about (unequal) temperaments on recent DPs [Re: maurus]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Apparently no one here knows... ?

That could either mean that the feature exists but is unknown, or the feature has disappeared from the market (even from more recent Kurzweil workstations?). Which would be a pity since microtonality/variation of tuning and temperament is one of the few features where digital instruments can easily and definitely surpass their traditional analogs.

#2187191 - 11/23/13 07:14 AM Re: A question about (unequal) temperaments on recent DPs [Re: maurus]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I suppose you could invent a facility for giving perfect harmony on all chords played, whatever the key . . .every note you play would trigger this harmonically amended and perfect sound . . . polyphony of about a million would surely suffice.

Another o` my money making schemes destined to fail . . .Hydraulic golf clubs, spinning washing lines (somebody got there first) . . .

Edited by peterws (11/23/13 07:17 AM)

""

#2187365 - 11/23/13 02:12 PM Re: A question about (unequal) temperaments on recent DPs [Re: maurus]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
maurus,

This is an interesting idea. It's a pity that the temperment on my RD700NX is a global system setting, otherwise I could set up a series of user presets that I could cycle through.

I wonder if this could be approached via external MIDI control?

#2187376 - 11/23/13 02:31 PM Re: A question about (unequal) temperaments on recent DPs [Re: maurus]
David Farley Online   content

Loc: Illinois
I haven't messed with this, but it looks like microtonality is something that can be set in the part editor on the Yamaha CP4/CP40. Pure Major and Pure Minor are two options (among others). It also mentions having to set a base note for some temperaments and that's certainly one of them. I suspect you can't change the base by pressing a key, but you might be able to do it on the fly by keeping that particular menu open on the screen. Oddly enough temperament doesn't seem to be a global setting.

#2187385 - 11/23/13 02:45 PM Re: A question about (unequal) temperaments on recent DPs [Re: maurus]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Of course on many boards you can select various temperaments and change the base key. However I am looking for a straightforward solution where the latter can be changed 'on the fly' as you play along in a piece of music. Hitting a key seems, to me, an adequate form, and is very intuitive at that. Cycling through a number of menu options definitely isn't.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
143 registered (ajames, accordeur, 36251, 43 invisible), 1747 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75579 Members
42 Forums
156267 Topics
2294936 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
M-Audio Oxygen 88 vs. StudioLogic Numa Compact
by snapdragon
07/29/14 07:02 PM
Sheet Music Retainers
by MargaretUK
07/29/14 05:20 PM
piano contest
by wkurashima
07/29/14 04:47 PM
piano contest Clavinova
by wkurashima
07/29/14 04:39 PM
Proper chunking method
by Edtek
07/29/14 03:10 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission