Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2183503 - 11/16/13 05:58 PM In search of some help
christineka Offline

Loc: Utah
Hi! I haven't been around for awhile. I've been looking to buy a piano for years, but the money part never seems to work out. This spring, we finally had saved up enough money to buy a piano, but my husband felt we should have room for a piano before buying one. (Our next piano will be a grand.) Therefore, we spent all that money, finishing the basement. It's all finished- well sufficiently finished anyway, and now we have room for that piano, but now we have no money. So, a popularity contest popped up on facebook, with the 3 top prizes being pianos, so I entered a video of my son. We are 16 days into the contest with 11 more after today. My son's video has been hanging out in prize range, but soon we will be overtaken. I wonder if any of you would be willing to vote for him?

Let me tell you about my son. He is 10.5 years old and started playing piano at 7 years. I was his first teacher, but after a year, he had learned all I could teach him, so he went on to another teacher. He practices at least 90 minutes a day. His great love, however is composition and so he takes lessons in that as well. (Now, you may start to understand why money for a better piano is an issue!) This afternoon, I drove my son to the nearest music store (an hour away) to play the 1st movement of Haydn's piano concerto in D Major in front of judges and he was triumphant, receiving a "superior" rating for the second year in a row. Last month, I took him to the Utah Music Teacher Association's awards' luncheon, where he was awarded 1st place in the composition competition, for the second year in a row. He's also the state representative for the national contest, for the second time in a row. My son is not only talented, but he is hard working as well. We have a piano at our house. We now own half of it. It's 101 years old and not in the greatest shape. The working player is really neat, but the piano is not very good for human hands to play. My son really needs a decent instrument to practice on. We will keep saving up money. A relative has also said he'd pitch in to help pay for a piano, but it would be really nice to win one. If you'd be willing to help out, we'd really appreciate it.

Please go to:
*link deleted*
"like" the page

Click "See contest here"

accept the app

click: "videos/vote", "most votes", "Bach Fughetta", "vote", "get second vote here", then click something else to get the second vote, and "vote" again. Come pack and vote twice every day through the 28th. (Thanksgiving) If you could possibly entice other people to vote, it would be much appreciated. We are not popular people, though I have some dedicated friends voting and have been on the vote exchange groups in attempt to keep the numbers up. Last I checked, he was still at 3rd place, but 4th is coming up. Thank you!

Edited by Ken Knapp (11/17/13 07:42 AM)
Edit Reason: Removed link

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2183729 - 11/17/13 02:31 AM Re: In search of some help [Re: christineka]
michaelha Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Smells fishy. Seems like this guy is just trying to get people to like his Facebook page. Tons of people have these contests on FB and never give out the prizes.

And why do I have to like his page to vote? I don't even know his company, definitely don't like them, and most definitely don't want them spamming my wall.

Someone on this forum just landed a pretty good shape 1902 Sheidmeyer baby grand for something like $700.

#2183786 - 11/17/13 07:52 AM Re: In search of some help [Re: christineka]
Ken Knapp Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I just looked the whole thing over...

In order to enter or view, he wants to install an app. You also share with him some private info. So you are actually (knowingly or unknowingly) asking the people here to give this guy marketing information.

This guy is in New York, you are in Utah. I imagine it will cost a thousand dollars to get the piano to you.

I just looked through your past posts. You have had some interesting adventures trying to find a piano over the last two years.

Piano Organ Depot
http://www.pianoorgandepot.com
Hammond Organ Technician
http://www.tonewheeltech.com
Vice President - MITA, International
http://www.mitatechs.org
http://www.facebook.com/MITATechs

#2183788 - 11/17/13 07:56 AM Re: In search of some help [Re: christineka]
Ken Knapp Offline

P.S. My advice is to keep saving up money and just buy a decent piano. You will save money in the long run.

Piano Organ Depot
Hammond Organ Technician

#2183791 - 11/17/13 08:06 AM Re: In search of some help [Re: christineka]
The Wind Offline

Hmm, interesting. You seem real keen on trying to win a grand piano! The only contests I know with a piano as the prize are top level piano competitions where the winner is expected to go professional. Not sure how these contests can afford to give one away with no entry fee.

I can imagine 6 kids is a big financial commitment. Why not be realistic and get a good used upright for under $5k.

I played on a small upright my entire childhood and didn't find it lacking.

#2184194 - 11/17/13 09:36 PM Re: In search of some help [Re: christineka]
Ken Knapp Offline

In order to enter or to vote in the contest, you need to install an app through Facebook onto your computer (or Facebook account. It gives the guy running the contest access to personal information, which he can use for marketing, whatever.

My 6th sense tells me that while he might be giving away a Steinway grand, it might need work.. Picture this.. I buy a Steinway in need of rebuilding. I offer it as a prize in a contest in which I harvest lots of contact information. When somebody wins the Steinway, I try my best to get the job of rebuilding/repairing that piano. For my price, which might or might not give me a profit on the work PLUS the purchase price back.

That is, unless I have a shill entry and friends voting, and thus maybe I get to keep the piano. I know, I'm being cynical, but who knows?

Piano Organ Depot
Hammond Organ Technician

#2184222 - 11/17/13 10:45 PM Re: In search of some help [Re: christineka]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Well, I hate to say it, but I don't have a Facebook account... Yea, I know I'm behind the times.

Piano World keeps me plenty busy though. smile

Rick

#2184236 - 11/17/13 11:25 PM Re: In search of some help [Re: christineka]
Caowner2013 Offline

My old Silicon Valley software engineering instinct is ringing the PHISHY bell.

1. Download an App just to vote?
2. The App asks for "personal information" from the Voter?

Sounds like an elaborate scheme to PHISH for usable personal information. Worse, if that App is a malware, your machine will be compromised.

Risking the wrath of FB users here, I also do not have a FB account. I do not trust FB. It was not created by someone who understands internet security and retrofitting security is always difficult. We design security right into our software products. It is an integral part of our software architecture, design and DB. Without such care, security-conscious institutions won't even work with us. Facebook did not start with that clear vision.

Speaking only for myself, I won't install the App and won't vote.

Edited by Caowner2013 (11/17/13 11:27 PM)

#2184240 - 11/17/13 11:33 PM Re: In search of some help [Re: christineka]
PhilipInChina Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: China
I don't have Facebook. Stuff like that is all blocked here of course.

#2184249 - 11/17/13 11:51 PM Re: In search of some help [Re: christineka]
christineka Offline

I know, I know. I'm saving money- or starting to again. As I said, we spent the money to make room for the eventual piano and now we have to start over again.

I know all about the annoying app thing, too. Yep, the guy gets all of your personal information, blah, blah, blah. I've tried those vote exchange sites, where you vote for someone else and they vote back. I've "liked" tons of pages and accepted lots of those apps. I haven't yet been hacked. (This is the second time I entered my son into this contest, so there's been plenty of time to be hacked.) I go into my facebook and "un-like" the pages and block the apps later on.

I am also aware that the prize pianos are old and not top notch, plus, if we win, we have to pay tax. I'll take the chance on it, though. If we win something, it can later be sold for cash to buy some other piano.

Thanks for continuing to bump up this post! (In case anyone was inclined to vote.) You don't have to. I just thought I'd ask in case you were willing.

#2184296 - 11/18/13 01:57 AM Re: In search of some help [Re: christineka]
michaelha Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Maybe put your story on a wanted ad on Craigslist. Perhaps there's someone out there that has a piano they're trying to unload and will give you a break.

#2184368 - 11/18/13 07:58 AM Re: In search of some help [Re: christineka]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"...Yep, the guy gets all of your personal information, blah, blah, blah..."

So keep saving up, blah, blah, blah. Or get a job, blah, blah, blah.

#2184860 - 11/18/13 11:18 PM Re: In search of some help [Re: michaelha]
christineka Offline

Last contest, I was offered several local pianos. They were junk! I can't afford to pay $100 to move a junky piano into my house. I checked the contest rules and prizes. Delivery is free. I don't see what's so horribly wrong about getting a free piano, delivered free to my house. I've won a few things before (I love facebook.) and have sold a couple of the items. I obviously didn't need the items, but it was nice to have the money to go buy something needed.

Edited by christineka (11/19/13 12:44 AM)

#2184862 - 11/18/13 11:21 PM Re: In search of some help [Re: Jeff Clef]
christineka Offline

Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef
"...Yep, the guy gets all of your personal information, blah, blah, blah..."

So keep saving up, blah, blah, blah. Or get a job, blah, blah, blah.

I will keep saving up! I told you that! I am not going to get a job, though. Not only do I have 6 kids, but I homeschool them as well and with the state of education in America, I am not sending them to institutionalized school. Besides, my kids would have no lives with all the practicing they do and I would have no time, having to take them to lessons after school. My son isn't the only musically talented child. The other one plays viola. And, I'm saving up for the bigger and better viola, too. (I also have 3 kids, who don't get any music, sports, or anything lessons because I can't afford any more.)

Edited by christineka (11/18/13 11:22 PM)

#2184911 - 11/19/13 02:42 AM Re: In search of some help [Re: christineka]
The Wind Offline

Originally Posted By: christineka

(I also have 3 kids, who don't get any music, sports, or anything lessons because I can't afford any more.)

Hmm, I think your priorities need to be with those other kids and forget about upgrading the piano.

First, why bother with those contests if you know the piano you win is junk and most likely the salesman is trying to put on tons of extras. He's not giving it away for "free". I checked out that guy's site. If that's not a snake oil saleman I don't know what is.

Or try the electric guitar! Heck of a lot cheaper. $1000 can get you a good starter Fender and amp.

There's also singing, that's free!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sight reading problems
by pianosNpreschooler
09/18/14 03:23 PM
Hello! I have a question about playing for cocktail parties.
by albumblatter
09/18/14 03:10 PM
Piano Concerto in F, Op. 2 Arensky, Anton
by antony
09/18/14 02:33 PM
How Much Are Piano Lessons Usually
by Korsario
09/18/14 01:56 PM
temperament setting in Casio PX-850
by Doritos Flavoured
09/18/14 01:33 PM
Who's Online
129 registered (accordeur, ajames, 3times2, AEMontoya, 39 invisible), 1513 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157606 Topics
2315027 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission