Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2183671 - 11/16/13 10:56 PM old question , best way to record a digital piano?
piano_primo_1 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA
I have :
A old dell inspirion laptop,
Good microphone.
Good jacks from casio digital to laptop.
A digital vivitar cam , (which recorded sound is less than poor)

I downloaded Audacity and have a old cakewalk software .
Any Suggeations?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2183719 - 11/17/13 01:07 AM Re: old question , best way to record a digital piano? [Re: piano_primo_1]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Looks like the only thing you're missing is an interface. The mic won't necessarily give you the best quality. Best bet is to go direct into the computer with a USB interface. Something like this one, which will also pass MIDI information.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB

If you use Cakewalk, you can record the MIDI info, edit it until pleased and then record the audio. It's the way I work, especially under tight deadlines. Plus, you can add great piano sample plugins down the road.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#2183802 - 11/17/13 08:45 AM Re: old question , best way to record a digital piano? [Re: piano_primo_1]
Johan B Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
Some time ago I used audacity at a laptop. Now, I mostly take simply an iPad...

Best regards,
Johan B

Currently working on:Sonaten of Haydn/Mozart, Suites Bach/Händel, Sonate pathetique Beethoven
'Nil volentibus arduum'
https://m.youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic

#2183870 - 11/17/13 11:28 AM Re: old question , best way to record a digital piano? [Re: piano_primo_1]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Plug an audio cable (jack on both ends) into your digital piano and into your computer. If your computer has a single port that works both as audio out (headphones) and audio in, you'll have to configure that somewhere in the audio settings. Then you'll need an application that will record the input from your piano, I think most people use Audacity on PC's.

Of course you'll have to use your piano with headphones or you won't hear anything while it's connected to the computer.

Otherwise you can do the same thing using a USB cable, as Brian suggested. That way you can record MIDI data, which means that you won't hear the actual Casio sound on your computer, but whatever samples you select in your audio recording program.

#2183879 - 11/17/13 11:52 AM Re: old question , best way to record a digital piano? [Re: Brian Lucas]
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cape Cod
Originally Posted By: Brian Lucas
Looks like the only thing you're missing is If you use Cakewalk, you can record the MIDI info, edit it until pleased and then record the audio. It's the way I work, especially under tight deadlines. Plus, you can add great piano sample plugins down the road.

I second that. It's enabled me to recreate and re-record dp performances I recorded in the late 80's not only with better sample sets, but also on the real-deal: midi equipped grand pianos.

Howard

#2183890 - 11/17/13 12:12 PM Re: old question , best way to record a digital piano? [Re: piano_primo_1]
piano_primo_1 Offline

I htink that is the way I'm going,I have a pretty good receiver (marantz) to use as a amplifier , so I will be able to hear and record.
Do memebers still post videos of what they practice on this forum?

Edited by pianonewbie1 (11/17/13 12:14 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#2183895 - 11/17/13 12:16 PM Re: old question , best way to record a digital piano? [Re: piano_primo_1]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Apart from other suggestions, may I mention it`s better to keep up the volume on your piano. That is, high enough to render any hum negligeable. I had mine set low, to fit in/balance with other instruments and it`s not as clear because of this..

""

#2183923 - 11/17/13 01:21 PM Re: old question , best way to record a digital piano? [Re: peterws]
piano_primo_1 Offline

Specifically..... keep the paino volume up but recording level down?
It would seem if both were up the sound would blare and be distorted .

#2183979 - 11/17/13 03:21 PM Re: old question , best way to record a digital piano? [Re: piano_primo_1]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
I go directly from the digital to the Zoom using line level inputs. This is very clean, but as peterws mentioned, the levels may need to be adjusted.

The 'volume' on the Zoom is not equivalent to the 'volume' level on the digital piano. When recording, I must turn the playback volume way up to equal a lower volume level on the Zoom.

Make sense? I didn't think so. But this will:

80% volume setting on digital piano = 40% volume setting on Zoom.

Another way to look at it is that a loud/high volume output setting (level) on the digital will equal a soft/low input level on the Zoom. If you are wondering how to get a higher/louder volume setting on the Zoom,... the answer (in my case) is to increase the gain settings positively (and proportionally) in Audacity. [The gain setting on my Zoom is already set at high].

When recording, you always want to leave a certain minimum amount of headroom (3db) as not to clip the recording [chop highs and lows exceeding the limit off].

Your ultimate goal, no matter what device you are using is to get a clean (first generation) recording at the proper levels. Everything else can be adjusted after that using programs like Audacity, Soundforge etc.

#2183998 - 11/17/13 03:51 PM Re: old question , best way to record a digital piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
piano_primo_1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky

Your ultimate goal, no matter what device you are using is to get a clean (first generation) recording at the proper levels. Everything else can be adjusted after that using programs like Audacity, Soundforge etc.

Well I don't have a zoom ,
I have a vivitar cam that has bad osund and audacity and casbles form my digital piano .
But I do have Cakewalk but a very dated version

#2184124 - 11/17/13 07:18 PM Re: old question , best way to record a digital piano? [Re: piano_primo_1]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
To follow "keep it simple, stupid!" (KISS):

Put the microphone away.

If the Casio has stereo outputs, and you want to record in stereo:

. . . If your computer doesn't have a stereo "Line In" jack,
. . . you'll have to buy a soundcard that _does_ have a
. . . stereo "Line In" jack. [Note 1]

If you want to record in mono, set the Casio up to _deliver_ mono (for some models, that means

. . . . "plug a cable into _only_ the "Left Line-Out /
. . . . Mono" jack"

If in stereo:

. . . Plug "left" and "right" cables into "Line Out" jacks
. . . . . (if you have them), or
. . . Plug into the "Headphone" output.

Plug the other end of that cable (cables) into the computer's "Line In" jack(s), or the soundcard's "Line In" jack(s).

Start "Audacity".

Point Audacity's "Record" input to the "Line In" jack(s).

Start recording in Audacity;

Start playing the Casio.

If you're using the headphone output on the Casio, you'll need some way to monitor your playing. Either:

. . . If there's a second "Phone Out" jack, use it;

. . . Use a stereo "Y-cable" to let you run your headphones,
. . . and Audacity, from the same "Phone Out" jack on the Casio.

You'll have to get your levels set correctly -- the higher the "volume" setting on the Casio, the lower the "record volume" will be set in Audacity.

. Charles

Note 1: You do _not_ need a soundcard with high-quality microphone preamps. Behringer (and others) make reasonably-priced USB soundcards (USB on one side, analog audio on the other side) with 24-bit resolution and 48 kHz sampling. For a solo piano, that should be plenty good enough.

#2184155 - 11/17/13 08:14 PM Re: old question , best way to record a digital piano? [Re: piano_primo_1]
piano_primo_1 Offline

you guys are super for the inforamtion . thanks I'm going to try tonight to work this .

#2184326 - 11/18/13 05:39 AM Re: old question , best way to record a digital piano? [Re: piano_primo_1]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianonewbie1
Specifically..... keep the paino volume up but recording level down?
It would seem if both were up the sound would blare and be distorted .
Yeah, usually setting the keyboard to 75% volume is ideal if you're using its sounds. Then adjust the inputs on your computer so it doesn't distort. If you're getting any noise, you can boost the keyboard up to 80-90% and turn the computer inputs down, but I rarely ever send MAX volume out of my board, live or recording. You can use your sound card for audio input, but usually they are not designed to capture the best sound, especially on older computers. The age of the software won't matter as much as the age of your computer processor and how much RAM you have in your machine.

OT, I'm originally from the Pittsburgh area. Yinz getn snow der yet?
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help with chords
by Shirz
10/25/14 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
10/24/14 10:23 PM
Who's Online
113 registered (ando, anamnesis, 36251, anotherscott, angga888, 32 invisible), 1347 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76651 Members
42 Forums
158487 Topics
2327498 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission