Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
57 registered (AnimistFvR, beet31425, 19 invisible), 1131 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2183761 - 11/17/13 05:16 AM My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle
kalee21 Offline

Loc: London
Ladies and Gentlemen,
A few months ago I started a search for a concert grand to replace my Steinway B. In my work I have access to a number of such instruments though always in rooms considerably larger than a domestic living room. Those that particularly impressed me as absolutely superb were a Bosendorfer Imperial, several Fazioli concert grands and a restored Steinway D. Of course, I wanted the search to include all possibilities and this included what was a new piano to me, the Steingraeber E-272. I decided to purchase a new piano.

After various adventures, the three outstanding instruments turned out to be the Imperial, a Fazioli F278 and the Steingraeber E-272, the latter from Hurstwood Farm Pianos here in the UK. Honestly, they are all at the same level as outstanding musical instruments and equally superb.

My final selection was in fact the E-272. For myself, the choice was a traditional Steingraeber E-272 with spruce sound board without the Phoenix system. Direct comparison of tradition vs Phoenix is of course available at Hurstwood Farm Pianos - the pianos stand beside each other.

This was purchased for myself and my companion, Boris Poodle. Boris is a very demanding poodle and seems to get just about anything he wants. He does return enormous amounts of love however.

The instrument has the advantage of two complete actions. Changing these on a grand is of course a simple matter and this permits a change in voicing with one instrument. This option is used here in London by the Royal Festival Hall for a number of their pianos (already here on Pianoworld):

[url=http://www.pianostreet.com/blog/articles/more-is-more-and-the-art-of-perfection-master-piano-technician-peter-salisbury-turns-a-steinway-into-two-6004]

Here you can just see the second action box stored under the piano:

One of the factors helping me select the Steingraeber has been the excellent support from Richard Dain of Hurstwood Farm Pianos. The facilities there for selecting and comparing pianos of this manufacturer are absolutely superb. Richard of course has his own design innovations, the Phoenix. I would urge anyone in search of a top grade piano here in the UK to include Hurstwood Farm in their search. For example, using Richards design based on the Steingraeber supplied piano body, a full Concert Grand may be acquired for the price of other manufacturers 7 ft. instruments. Richard is a man of exceptional knowledge, the complete opposite of the usual "piano salesperson", an outstanding Gentleman.

One of the strengths I find with the Steingraeber is the perfection of the action in comparison to older designs. Playing is instinctive and I adapted to this very new instrument practically instantly. Never has there been any hint of something being "not quite right" with this piano. The other outstanding action encountered was the Fazioli. The dynamics of the E-272 are a revelation, colours are their in abundance yet the piano never descends into mush or distortion no matter what my exertions. It does have the warmth and is simply completely musical. I find I have total control.

The piano will now acclimatise to my environment until the new year. Hurstwood Farm will then perform a precision tuning and voicing of both actions. All I can say to far is that the experience with Steingraeber and Hurstwood Farm has been what purchasing a new piano should be!. During my final deliberations I contacted Steingraeber with some technical questions, again total professionalism and enthusiasm.

A factor supporting the Imperial, Fazioli and Steingraeber as equals really at the highest level is the non compromised quality of their manufacture (this will apply to other makers also of course). Very much used to be the case with another well known candidate.

It turns out that I should not have worried about the concert grand in my room, it is a delight and privilege to experience.

My concern is Boris. Have I spoilt him?

Edited by kalee21 (11/17/13 05:18 AM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2183781 - 11/17/13 07:24 AM Re: My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle [Re: kalee21]
Annitenth Offline

Loc: Texas
I like the piano. I love the poodle.

#2183792 - 11/17/13 08:07 AM Re: My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle [Re: Annitenth]
PhilipInChina Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: China
Standard poodles are wonderful dogs.

I know nothing about pianos but I do know my dogs.

#2183793 - 11/17/13 08:08 AM Re: My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle [Re: kalee21]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
congrats kalee21! very very nice to see the 272 has arrived!

#2183812 - 11/17/13 09:06 AM Re: My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle [Re: kalee21]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Wow! Congratulations on a magnificant piano!

And a handsome dog too! smile

Rick

#2183817 - 11/17/13 09:18 AM Re: My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle [Re: kalee21]
joe80 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You will have a lifetime of pleasure from that piano! It looks gorgeous. I tried a Steingraeber concert grand at Hurstwood farm about 8 years ago and thought it was outstanding. I remember it was really clear, wide dynamic range and very precise. And you are right, the price is excellent!

#2183857 - 11/17/13 11:05 AM Re: My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle [Re: kalee21]
PattyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Wow! Congrats, Kalee! It's a beautiful piano and Boris looks fabulous sitting at it.

I, like PhilipinChina, know much more about dogs than pianos, and I would say that you have not spoiled Boris too much. Poodles are intelligent dogs and certainly require mental stimulation regularly. I believe you new piano will lend itself to that.

What I would like to know is, does Boris sing while you play?
grin

All kidding aside, congrats.

A tired dog is a good dog.

#2183859 - 11/17/13 11:12 AM Re: My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle [Re: kalee21]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Great Piano - Congratulations!

Does Boris play?

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2183882 - 11/17/13 12:02 PM Re: My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle [Re: kalee21]
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Thanks for sharing Kalee, beautiful piano and beautiful dog.

We had the pleasure of touring the Steingraeber facilities a couple of years ago, Udo was our guide.
There is no doubt about the pride and care they take in building fine instruments.

Enjoy!
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit)
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#2183884 - 11/17/13 12:05 PM Re: My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle [Re: kalee21]
kalee21 Offline

Boris is very interested in pianos. On occasions he will place a paw on the keyboard and sound a note. Mainly however, he uses my playing as a reason for an additional treat: "why are you spending so much time over there when you could be with me". He always gets around me one way or another. He seems to like 16th century polyphony and also Chopin. Sometimes I take him into work. He will sit for me by a piano as he knows I will always come back there. He is finding the action box under the piano something of a puzzle right now. Boris is receiving extra walkies now to ensure him he remains number 1!

I hope to visit Bayreuth next summer. Love Germany. Perhaps some Wagner plus pianos!

Edited by kalee21 (11/17/13 12:23 PM)

#2183885 - 11/17/13 12:08 PM Re: My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle [Re: kalee21]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Beautiful new piano! Nice dog too

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2184026 - 11/17/13 04:30 PM Re: My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle [Re: kalee21]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
My standard poodle, Moose, is also a Steingraeber fan.

Smart dogs!

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2184143 - 11/17/13 07:59 PM Re: My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle [Re: kalee21]
Swarth Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area Ca.
What a wonderful piano! Two actions, that seems like overkill but what an option to have. What I was wondering is that on the Steingraeber website they mention "The Steingraeber E-272 Concert Grand Piano was newly constructed between 1997-2002. Since then, many pianists rate it as one of the most outstanding, distinctive instruments available." So does this mean your new piano is 11 years old already or have they resumed production of this beast?

#2184149 - 11/17/13 08:09 PM Re: My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle [Re: kalee21]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I'm just wondering if you get a storage cabinet for the spare action when you buy such a Steingraeber? A piano action is a very large and unwieldy thing, but also delicate. You'd want to have a secure place for it.

#2184275 - 11/18/13 12:52 AM Re: My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle [Re: ando]
kalee21 Offline

Yes indeed, the action box is itself an example of woodworking. The space under this piano is of course large so I keep it there. It does take two people to carry the spare action in its very heavy box, my piano mover gave me a large cloth so it slides in and out without damaging the floor. When you are taught the correct way, the actions themselves are manageable.

The manufacture of the E-272 started in 2002 I believe and Steingraeber informed me they now make about 7 to 8 a year. 1997 to 2002 was the development period. They will of course custom build for you a special piano exactly as you want it.

Edited by kalee21 (11/18/13 12:53 AM)

#2184288 - 11/18/13 01:30 AM Re: My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle [Re: kalee21]
Swarth Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area Ca.
Originally Posted By: kalee21
Yes indeed, the action box is itself an example of woodworking. The space under this piano is of course large so I keep it there. It does take two people to carry the spare action in its very heavy box, my piano mover gave me a large cloth so it slides in and out without damaging the floor. When you are taught the correct way, the actions themselves are manageable.

The manufacture of the E-272 started in 2002 I believe and Steingraeber informed me they now make about 7 to 8 a year. 1997 to 2002 was the development period. They will of course custom build for you a special piano exactly as you want it.

Ahhh now I understand. That would have been my next question, that when you get into this realm that they might produce them to order. 7 - 8 a year is not bad at all. Thanks.

#2185206 - 11/19/13 03:25 PM Re: My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle [Re: kalee21]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Congratulations! Interesting

What's the difference between the actions, is it a big difference? What are you using nr1 for, and what for nr2?

how often do you swap?

Swapping is not so easy becuuse you have to take out a number of parts, such as a few slots around the keyboard and the fall board, and also the action is pretty heavy?

Do you have now extra maintenance costs for regulating two actions?

#2185253 - 11/19/13 04:31 PM Re: My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle [Re: kalee21]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Kalee, it is a wonderful thing to hear such a completely happy piano story, all the way around. It is a comparatively rare experience here. Congratulations!

I see you ordered a piano finish to match Boris, that handsome fellow. As they say, accessories make the ensemble.

#2185280 - 11/19/13 05:01 PM Re: My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle [Re: kalee21]
Norbert Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
Kalee, it is a wonderful thing to hear such a completely happy piano story, all the way around. It is a comparatively rare experience here. Congratulations!

Not really.

But it happens more in much lower price ranges... wink

Congrats to one dynamite piano!!

Norbert thumb

#2185509 - 11/20/13 05:41 AM Re: My new Steingraeber E-272 and Boris Poodle [Re: kalee21]
kalee21 Offline

Hello Wouter79
A good approach is to sit down with a really good technican / voicer and discuss the possibilities of the piano with respect to the types of literature you prefer. You will be surprised at what is possible. You cannot of course turn one piano make into another, but you can obtain variety and more than one great sound. I know how to do this for a pipe organ, but a master piano technician will understand the piano and you can show and explain your technique and desires.

Changing the action is not at all difficult, once you are shown how. I do not plan to do this that often or voice radically different. Just be sure to keep the spare action in its protective case. It must be stored properly or the frame will distort and the action will be ruined.
I think the cost will not be very much more : you are in effect reducing the use of both actions and prolonging their lives.

Hello Jeff Clef
Dealing with Steingraeber has been a revelation and absolute delight. I can really say no more. This piano has opened my eyes and mind to what a great piano should be. A relief for me, my previous rebuilding experience here in London with another very very well known brand was the opposite. I have put that behind me and now anticipate a great relationship with this fantastic new instrument. Boris is handsome too, he is my fourth poodle. The Steingraeber is my third piano.

Hello Norbert
What you say is so very very true. Everyone should explore this wonderful world of pianos without prejudice. Just keep an open mind and your ears and fingers will tell you the truth. Forget what the fall board says. I have found many super instruments this way.
Do note that a great name on a new piano should not be taken as an automatic guarantee of quality. That I think is obvious. I always recommend anyone who may not perhaps have the years of experience to judge to take someone along who really can - get that piano into top gear and into some tight corners! Find out its true musical possibilities.

Edited by kalee21 (11/20/13 06:47 AM)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Are there any upright owners who leave the front open?
by harpon
11/29/14 01:00 AM
They don't call him the 'Poet of the Piano' for nothing!
by JoelW
11/28/14 11:53 PM
Steinway rebuild question
by schlaigs
11/28/14 10:00 PM
Baldwin Hamilton Hammer Butt and Back Stop Leather
by Ryan Hassell
11/28/14 09:55 PM
Please help me to find out the pattern of this Cdim7
by SZ54
11/28/14 08:12 PM
Forum Stats
77083 Members
42 Forums
159435 Topics
2342062 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission