Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2185767 - 11/20/13 02:36 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: bfb]
Psychonaut Offline

Originally Posted By: bfb
i am in nashville on business and had a couple hours to kill last night so went to the local GC, which had a CP4 on the floor. Now, typical for GC- they stuck in 5 feet in the air on a rack and didn't have a sustain pedal hooked up to it, but it at least gave me a chance to tinker around.

i thought the action was unbelievably good- and i realized after going from that to the casio pianos just how important that was to me. the keys just felt great- from the tactile sensation of the fake ivory to the responsiveness of the light but still firm weighted action. was better than anything else in there, even the RD700 which has the same action as my V-dog.

i thought the AP's and EPs sounded really good, but that was probably influenced by my excitement at getting to play one. the reverb effect with the AP's really helped create a pleasing sound. on the website demos i think the CFIII sounds best but in the store the CFX sounded nicer. i also love the S6 for the way i play.

its not much to look at. just a dark gray plastic slab. i appreciated the comment earlier about the nord's weight being similar but still being housed in metal. i would be concerned about the CP4's ability to be banged around. i would accept 5 lbs more weight for a sturdier feel, although the board did NOT look cheap.

i am beginning to wonder if stage pianos and studio pianos are becoming two different animals. i'd tote the cp4 around in a minute- i think it would be a nice piano for road work, but would take great care to get a padded case for it. the commentary about the shortcomings of the sample set are disturbing to me, even though i liked what i heard. I know how our perceptions change as the newness of a keyboard purchase wears off and we begin to deal with reality.

they had a cp40 right below it and it just didn't feel close. i wouldn't opt to save the 500 bucks to go that route.

i would love to compare the ES7 side by side if i could ever find one.

Nice review. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to type this out.

Thus far limited to virtual window shopping, I too have been comparing specs and listening to demos specifically of the ES7 and the CP4, which my wish list is focusing on right now. In terms of specs, there are some major differences, and I'm sort of a "tweener" regarding pitch and mod wheels, etc, and do have work-arounds for the limitations of both models. For instance I have no use for onboard rhythm patterns of the ES7, but while I don't need onboard speakers, I think they would be nice to have... But ultimately, I want to play both of them, and am pretty sure at least one if not both will be "just right" in terms of the key action and response, as the CP4 seems to have been for you. The action is pretty much everything for me, as I'll mainly use VSTi pianos anyway, so the sounds merely have to be "good enough" to get by in isolated situations.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2185964 - 11/20/13 09:48 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: carey]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
A request for a test:

. . . Could somebody with a CP4 (or access to one)
. . . test it for "string resonance" ?

Two tests:

. . . Hold down (and do not release) C/E/G one
. . . octave above middle C,
. . . and wait for any sound to die away;

. . . Strike C below middle C, FF, staccato;

. . . Listen for the higher C/E/G chord.

It'll be there, or not.

Second test:

. . . Hold down C below middle C, do not release,

. . . Strike C/E/G above middle C, FF, staccato;

. . . Listen for a continued "ring" of the C/E/G
. . . after the dampers come down (after the staccato strike)

You can do these tests on an acoustic piano, and see how it _should_ sound. Most DP's are deficient.

Thanks --

. Charles

PS -- a CP-4 will eventually come to Canada, but not yet . . .

Edited by Charles Cohen (11/20/13 09:49 PM)

#2186011 - 11/20/13 11:31 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Charles Cohen]
Rhodie73 Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Charles Cohen
A request for a test:

Two tests:

It'll be there, or not.

Second test:

You can do these tests on an acoustic piano, and see how it _should_ sound. Most DP's are deficient.

Thanks --

. Charles

I've checked this on the CP4 and sadly there is no harmonic string resonance. I even checked the damper resonance and damper resonance 2 insert effect hoping for some implementation of harmonic string resonance (as a multi effect algorithm type) but nope....the CP4 does not have it.

I really hope the Kawai MP7 comes soon!

#2186012 - 11/20/13 11:35 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Rough Diamond]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
I'm seriously tempted to post an audio clip...

But I'll hold off. wink

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2186046 - 11/21/13 01:19 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Rough Diamond]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
How about a sneaky preview pic?

#2186049 - 11/21/13 01:30 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Rhodie73]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rhodie73
Originally Posted By: Charles Cohen
A request for a test:

Two tests:

It'll be there, or not.

Second test:

Thanks --

. Charles

I've checked this on the CP4 and sadly there is no harmonic string resonance. I even checked the damper resonance and damper resonance 2 insert effect hoping for some implementation of harmonic string resonance (as a multi effect algorithm type) but nope....the CP4 does not have it.

Yes, that was one of the first things I tested for (closely followed by looping and stretching). It was when I put all the small deficiencies together that I realized I couldn't live with it, despite its great action and overall pleasant tone.

I've just purchased the Bluthner (sorry, can't find the umlaut) add-on for Pianoteq, and am looking for a small, but powerful tablet to sit on the PX-5S's battery cover. Am wondering if there's enough oomph in the new Bay Trail Atoms to run it, or if I'll have to spring for the Surface Pro. The Bluthner is Pianoteq's current crowning achievement, IMO.

I'll be very interested to try the MP7 when it comes out, but I'm getting tired of waiting for a really fine emulation in a lightweight DP.

#2186055 - 11/21/13 02:01 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: voxpops]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: voxpops

It wouldn't be right to hijack the thread. wink

James
x

#2186105 - 11/21/13 04:18 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Rough Diamond]
Hookxs Online   content

Loc: Czech Republic
About pedal resonance - does that mean that pressing the pedal down and hitting a key sounds excatly the same like merely hitting (a holding) the key with pedal up?

Also I must have missed some "announcement" of MP7 - is this a confirmed thing? Any specs known? What about MP10's successor, anything?;-)

#2186134 - 11/21/13 07:16 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: voxpops]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

am looking for a small, but powerful tablet to sit on the PX-5S's battery cover. Am wondering if there's enough oomph in the new Bay Trail Atoms

Thanks for the pointer, I hadn't known about these. Looks promising...

http://www.zdnet.com/dells-8-inch-windows-tablet-makes-a-big-impression-7000023453/

though of course, the one glitch the reviewer found in that model is a deal-killer:

"The only hardware glitch I’ve encountered is an annoying tendency of the audio to distort when the screen shuts down while running on battery power."

Now you know something to specifically check for on these things! He adds "That issue will no doubt be fixed with a driver update sometime soon." We'll see...

#2186138 - 11/21/13 07:21 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Rough Diamond]
Aidan Offline

Loc: UK
DPs are all about compromise. And stats don't always mean a lot in the playing experience. In theory, the Kronos pianos should blast all other DPs out of the water - multi-sampled, no loops whatsoever. In practice, I found them less than inspiring to play.

In the heat of a noisy gig, over a less than ideal PA (which probably describes 90% of my gigs and, I suspect, those of any live musician here as well), how often are you really going to notice a bit of looping in the sample? I suspect the answer is 'not often' and I'm damn sure your audience aren't going to either.

I suspect that the odd corner has been cut in the CP4 to keep the price under a certain point, but for many it will hit a 'sweet spot' of sounding good enough, having a nice responsive keybed (really half the battle) and coming in at the right weight.

For recording, it's another story. But for that purpose, I don't think anyone would choose ANY native DP's output over a high-end software instrument or, in a pro environment, a properly tuned and regulated acoustic.

#2186140 - 11/21/13 07:24 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Kawai James]
Rhodie73 Offline

Originally Posted By: Kawai James

James
x

I could start a new thread and you can hijack that one James.....I wouldn't mind, lol!

#2186169 - 11/21/13 08:32 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Aidan]
Rhodie73 Offline

Originally Posted By: Aidan
DPs are all about compromise. And stats don't always mean a lot in the playing experience. In theory, the Kronos pianos should blast all other DPs out of the water - multi-sampled, no loops whatsoever. In practice, I found them less than inspiring to play.

In the heat of a noisy gig, over a less than ideal PA (which probably describes 90% of my gigs and, I suspect, those of any live musician here as well), how often are you really going to notice a bit of looping in the sample? I suspect the answer is 'not often' and I'm damn sure your audience aren't going to either.

I suspect that the odd corner has been cut in the CP4 to keep the price under a certain point, but for many it will hit a 'sweet spot' of sounding good enough, having a nice responsive keybed (really half the battle) and coming in at the right weight.

For recording, it's another story. But for that purpose, I don't think anyone would choose ANY native DP's output over a high-end software instrument or, in a pro environment, a properly tuned and regulated acoustic.

I totally agree with everything here, but in this day of technology, there should a DP that can fit both the stage and studio recording environments. I think that even though Kawai still has looping they are certainly getting closer and I applaud their efforts. Roland with its SuperNatural piano engine (especially the Studio Grand from the RD700NX) probably is the best example of covering both situations. The V-piano can't realistically be brought by one person to the stage so I have ommitted it....plus I'm still not 100% in love with the tone even though you can customize it.
All I'm saying is that I really had high hopes for the CP4 but was let down by the fact that they took away certain customizing parameters and never implemented the many of acoustical effects of the piano like Yamaha's competitors do. I'm not here to shoot down the CP4 or insult anyone that is enjoying it. It truly has a nice tone and action, but I feel that Yamaha didn't really go forward with this product, more lateral. Just my own opinion of course.

#2186219 - 11/21/13 09:53 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Rough Diamond]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

I'm not on the market for a new DP, but if I was, it would have to have sympathetic voices. It's obviously not that important in a loud band, but I think it adds to the experience for trio, etc.

It's also about these big companies cutting corners at the expense of musicians. I know these are specialty items but our community should send a message with our pocketbooks.

Sidebar - I own a FP4 and when Roland updated to FP4f they removed most of the effects. I think if anything they should of given us more. Their logic might of been to force us to get more expensive model but IMO, that's a flawed concept, since the people buying the 4 wants a lighter piano, but still just as many features (or at least not less than previous version.)

#2186220 - 11/21/13 09:53 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Rough Diamond]
Aidan Offline

Loc: UK
Yeah, I hear you. Personally, I'm waiting for Nord to (hopefully) release a new version of the Stage OS which has the softer velocity curve of the new NP2 OS before making judgment. If that could help me play a little more subtly and easily in the lower end of the dynamic range, I'll probably stick with my NS2 rather than jump ship for the CP4, despite the more subtle keybed.

#2186237 - 11/21/13 10:22 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: anotherscott]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
I hadn't known about these. Looks promising...

http://www.zdnet.com/dells-8-inch-windows-tablet-makes-a-big-impression-7000023453/

though of course, the one glitch the reviewer found in that model is a deal-killer:

"The only hardware glitch I’ve encountered is an annoying tendency of the audio to distort when the screen shuts down while running on battery power."

Now you know something to specifically check for on these things! He adds "That issue will no doubt be fixed with a driver update sometime soon." We'll see...

Thanks for that link, Scott. Unfortunately, the 8" models use the slower processor, and that may be too restrictive for Pianoteq. I was thinking it would have to be one with the 3770 quad-core (that turboboosts to 2.4 Ghz). There are very few models out there at the moment - this seems to be the best contender, currently:
HP Omni 10
The 10.1" size is a little cumbersome, and it has only a micro-USB port, which would require an adapter, so it's not ideal, but it might be made to work.

Apologies for the OT post.

As for Aidan's comment on the CP4, I agree - if we're talking $1k-1.5k - but at $2k+ I expect the small refinements that allow a DP to be used in all circumstances: on stage, in the recording studio, in chamber recitals etc., and without the player being conscious of cost-reduction "tricks."

#2186242 - 11/21/13 10:35 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Rough Diamond]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The other issue with the Windows tablets is that, as far as I'm seeing, they charge through the USB port which is also how you would connect MIDI... which means, I think, there's no way to charge them while using them. Better make sure you're well charged before the gig starts! If you happen to have run it down inadvertently, you may be SOL.

#2186251 - 11/21/13 10:48 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: anotherscott]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The other issue with the Windows tablets is that, as far as I'm seeing, they charge through the USB port which is also how you would connect MIDI... which means, I think, there's no way to charge them while using them. Better make sure you're well charged before the gig starts! If you happen to have run it down inadvertently, you may be SOL.

That's a good point! From what I can tell from the very limited info/pics on the Omni, there is a dedicated charging port next to the micro-USB socket.

#2186365 - 11/21/13 01:47 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Rough Diamond]
sydnal Offline

In the age of GHZ speed arm processors cheaper than a McDonald's meal, someone has to really try hard to convince me omitting some of those features (like sympathetic resonance) is a cost concern.

#2186378 - 11/21/13 02:13 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Rough Diamond]
David Farley Offline

Loc: Illinois
So some of the higher end Yamaha models apparently do have string resonance. Is the sound engine on those pianos different than what's in the CP4?

I didn't quite understand what Yamaha was really trying to do with the CP4 until I stumbled onto this page in another forum. Is there anything about this scheme that makes including string resonance awkward?

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/cp4_stage

(I have a CP40, which I like. It was a huge step up from what I had.)

#2186422 - 11/21/13 03:37 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: voxpops]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
(sorry, can't find the umlaut)

Have you checked the couch cushions?

Count yourself among the exceedingly lucky if you are able to get decent damper resonance from your Yamaha DP, much less string resonance. I'm not a mind reader, but given an inspection of their products they don't seem to think it's very important - though I would list it at or near the top of what makes the AP sound so rich and beautiful.

It truly has a nice tone and action, but I feel that Yamaha didn't really go forward with this product, more lateral.

We get baby steps forward once in a while, and the multitude of lateral moves often have a huge portion of taketh away included along with the whole givething thing.

I know I'm super weird, but my ears start to bleed whenever they hear a crap DP just about anywhere and under just about any circumstances.

Such a sad, sad state of affairs we find ourselves in. What year is it again? (checks DP) looks like 1993, oh wait (checks calendar) 2013, my bad.

Originally Posted By: sydnal
In the age of GHZ speed arm processors cheaper than a McDonald's meal, someone has to really try hard to convince me omitting some of those features (like sympathetic resonance) is a cost concern.

The DP industry doesn't need to show you any stinkin' GHz ARM processors!

Originally Posted By: David Farley
I didn't quite understand what Yamaha was really trying to do with the CP4 until I stumbled onto this page in another forum. Is there anything about this scheme that makes including string resonance awkward?

From that link: "You are basically provided complete multi-samples of three very expensive Yamaha acoustic pianos: the CFX, the CFIIIS and the S6." I'd really hate to encounter whatever Yamaha describes as an incomplete multi-sample.

#2186443 - 11/21/13 04:15 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: dewster]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dewster
I'd really hate to encounter whatever Yamaha describes as an incomplete multi-sample.

It reminds me of when another vendor said that the sounds included in their new low end keyboard were "hand picked" from their flagship model. As opposed to selected via a random number generator?

#2186479 - 11/21/13 05:18 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: dewster]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

From that link: "You are basically provided complete multi-samples of three very expensive Yamaha acoustic pianos: the CFX, the CFIIIS and the S6." I'd really hate to encounter whatever Yamaha describes as an incomplete multi-sample.
The out word "basically."

#2186501 - 11/21/13 06:22 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: anotherscott]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

It reminds me of when another vendor said that the sounds included in their new low end keyboard were "hand picked" from their flagship model. As opposed to selected via a random number generator?

I hope that wasn't me...

#2186504 - 11/21/13 06:30 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Kawai James]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I hope that wasn't me...

LOL, nope, not you, James!

#2186511 - 11/21/13 06:56 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: anotherscott]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

LOL, nope, not you, James!

Phew.

So I'm okay to use that line in future marketing materials? wink

#2186526 - 11/21/13 07:23 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Kawai James]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
So I'm okay to use that line in future marketing materials? wink

Maybe you could work "fresh squeezed" in there somehow as well.

#2186538 - 11/21/13 07:52 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: dewster]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Maybe you could work "fresh squeezed" in there somehow as well.

I believe "freshly squeezed" is the term used by the man from Del Monte...

#2186751 - 11/22/13 07:34 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Kawai James]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)

James
x

Of course it would be ...its called ambush marketing

#2186761 - 11/22/13 07:51 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Kawai James]
Psychonaut Offline

I'm seriously tempted to post an audio clip...

But I'll hold off. wink

You're no longer a hijacker, by definition, once you've been formally invited into the cockpit. I would like to hear this audio clip...

... One of these days I'm going to learn that no matter how much I virtually window shop and read forum posts, I'm going to know little more than I know now about upgrading my DP until I get to a music store where I can actually try them.

#2186818 - 11/22/13 10:35 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Rough Diamond]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
I too, KJ, would like to know what you've got in your Kawai bag of tricks. As i scrutinize products for a more portable, good sounding board with a grand-like action, I really would like to consider Kawai's offerings. I wish i could try some of them- know any retailers in the Atlanta GA USA MSA that carry the ES7 or MP6? I've had no luck locating any... and if the MP6 is getting ready for a refresh (or a similar product in that tier of the market), I'm all ears.

Edited by bfb (11/22/13 10:36 AM)

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anything better than the Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
10/24/14 04:49 AM
Is A443 banned definitively?
by Olek
10/24/14 04:01 AM
Ritmuller Grand Pianos - Help!
by Mike RSA
10/24/14 03:56 AM
J.D.Grandt Bass Strings Opinions Please
by chernobieff
10/23/14 11:48 PM
Which Electronic Sounds & Feels Most Like Real?
by MinstrelandMuse
10/23/14 11:47 PM
Who's Online
71 registered (arX, angga888, 36251, Adypiano, AZNpiano, 13 invisible), 1076 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76633 Members
42 Forums
158463 Topics
2327039 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission