Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#2227360 - 02/07/14 09:07 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Rough Diamond]
tm3 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Dave Ferris: I saw a detailed post of yours on another forum re comparisons. Two questions

1) which stage DP keyboard comes closest to emulating that of an AP?

2) would your top choices for a home (non-gigging) DP be the avant grand and the CP4?

Thanks

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2227495 - 02/07/14 02:51 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: tm3]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: tm3
which stage DP keyboard comes closest to emulating that of an AP?

In part, that depends on which AP you are comparing it to. The Kawai MP10 feels more like a Kawai grand than any other board I've played (VPC1 should be about the same). But it feels nothing like a Yamaha grand. APs themselves vary so much. I think the goal should simply be to find the action that you most enjoy playing.

#2227823 - 02/08/14 08:35 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: anotherscott]
BarryDMD Offline

Loc: Warwick, RI
I am considering buying either the S90XS or the CP4 Stage Piano. I especially like the

71Rd I and 73 Rd II voices in the CP4. Is there any way to duplicate them on the S70XS ? Obviously the AP's on the CP4 are very good, but there is more
to play around with on the S90 such as Arp's and Performances.

barrydmd

#2228980 - 02/10/14 12:24 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: anotherscott]
tm3 Offline

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
which stage DP keyboard comes closest to emulating that of an AP?

In part, that depends on which AP you are comparing it to. The Kawai MP10 feels more like a Kawai grand than any other board I've played (VPC1 should be about the same). But it feels nothing like a Yamaha grand. APs themselves vary so much. I think the goal should simply be to find the action that you most enjoy playing.

good point, thanks. someday i hope to transition to an AP, and am probably overly concerned about recurring claims that playing a DP "ruins" ones technique as far as playing an AP thus my interest in "close emulation." i also thought that the technology may have advanced significantly beyond my Roland FP4.

auditions are great but given the local selection unfortunately not really possible.

#2229122 - 02/10/14 05:17 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: tm3]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

i also thought that the technology may have advanced significantly beyond my Roland FP4.

Interestingly, a number of people seem to prefer the feel of the FP4 over the later versions (FP-4F and FP50).

Do you specifically want something with speakers built in, or doesn't it matter?

#2229269 - 02/10/14 10:18 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: anotherscott]
tm3 Offline

i also thought that the technology may have advanced significantly beyond my Roland FP4.

Interestingly, a number of people seem to prefer the feel of the FP4 over the later versions (FP-4F and FP50).

Do you specifically want something with speakers built in, or doesn't it matter?

Does not matter, really. If I become convinced of a significant upgrade over the FP4 I could pull the trigger. For now headphones are fine.

#2229330 - 02/11/14 12:40 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Rough Diamond]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Well, these have different feels from each other, but I think they are all closer to, well SOME acoustic than the FP4 would be. So I would check out: Roland FP80, Kawai MP10, Yamaha CP4. (Only the Roland has speakers.) I think those would be considered current state of the art in stage piano actions, though the MP10 at 70 lbs is a bit of a beast to move around. The Yamaha is not much heavier than your FP4. The FP80 is in between.

#2229464 - 02/11/14 09:22 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: anotherscott]
tm3 Offline

Well, these have different feels from each other, but I think they are all closer to, well SOME acoustic than the FP4 would be. So I would check out: Roland FP80, Kawai MP10, Yamaha CP4. (Only the Roland has speakers.) I think those would be considered current state of the art in stage piano actions, though the MP10 at 70 lbs is a bit of a beast to move around. The Yamaha is not much heavier than your FP4. The FP80 is in between.

That is very helpful, thanks. Weight is not an issue.

You would not put the Roland 800 on the list?

#2229494 - 02/11/14 10:27 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: tm3]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You would not put the Roland 800 on the list?

Another good choice. I haven't played one yet, but it is supposed to have essentially an enhanced version of the action that is on the FP80.

Also, there are some people who prefer the feel of the Yamaha CP4's predecessors over the CP4 itself, those models would be the CP1 and CP5, which you may find at reduced pricing if places still have them.

#2255619 - 04/01/14 08:36 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Rainman]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Dave Ferris: you said "the Nord Piano 2, with improved D/A converters from the original NP88". Can you elaborate on that? This is the first time I hear/read about that. I thought the sound is 100% the same.

How did you percieve the difference between the sound of the two NPs? And where did you find that info?

Thanks for any info!

Ah... I'm one never to try and leave a direct question unanswered., if I can answer it. wink I was scanning this thread and noticed I had.

I don't always have time to check in at PW and return to threads I've posted in. I was looking for some more CP4 video youtube demos on Google and this came up.

Perfectly legit question. Two years ago in May of '12 I took delivery of the NP2. At the time I had not sold my NP88 yet so I had the advantage of A/B ing them through the same speakers (RCF TT08As) in my studio.

THe difference in the overall sound was immediately obvious. The NP88 sounded like it had a blanket over the speakers in comparison to the NP2. This was before the Fazioli sample was released, so I was most likely using the Yamaha Bright Grand and Bosendorfer , both in XL size, to test with.

The NP2's sound sparkled and was more vibrant on every sound I tried on the APs & EPs.

On a gig, in a noisy environment, playing in a louder rockish context, through less then at least half way decent quality speakers and out front in the audience - I'd be certain you'd be hard pressed to hear the difference between the two though.

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP4, CP5 (home use) , RCF TT08A, TT22A speakers

#2255846 - 04/02/14 09:31 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Rough Diamond]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Anyone care to explain what Nord says about the Triple Pedal for the NP2, quoted below the dotted line?
Dynamic Sustain Pedal seems to be related to pedal noise as you actuate the pedal, but:
What exactly is half-pedaling? merely 3 points (on, off, mid)? Or is it partial-pedaling with more points?
What is “release and catch” techniques? Is that merely a fancy name for conventional pedaling or is there more to it?
-------------------------------------------------
The Nord Triple Pedal
Has Soft and Sustenuto Pedals in addition to a unique Dynamic Sustain Pedal enabling the use of half-pedaling and "release and catch" techniques.

#2255863 - 04/02/14 10:44 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Rough Diamond]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Isn't release and catch when, on an acoustic piano, you release your finger but you simultaneously put down the sustain pedal. The damper is thus repositioned but almost immediately pulled back again.

If you do that, the note will be sustained, to varying degrees, depending on the precise interval the damper is allowed to deaden the strings. Digital pianos (apart maybe from old or very low budget ones) will copy this behaviour.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2256052 - 04/02/14 05:06 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: toddy]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I don't really know what to think about Nord's sparse words, toddy, there isn't anymore info on the Nord website that I could find. Hoping for an actual user of the Nord Triple Pedal to chime in...

Or, if there is a user of the Nord Piano 2 HP (the 73 key unit, with the default single pedal) on here, what are they missing out on with regard to pedalling? From what I could gather from the Nord website, apart from the obvious difference (soft and sostenuto) they would miss out on pedal noise (big deal, to be sarcastic) not sure about the other features...

#2256061 - 04/02/14 05:30 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 Review First Impressions [Re: Rough Diamond]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Well, if I'm right (and I'm just guessing from the term itself that you quoted: "release and catch") then this is only an effect with the sustain pedal and the keys. In other words, it should work with just the one sustain pedal, and is dependent on your playing style and pedalling technique.

Certainly it works like that on my piano, and I imagine, most other DPs these days. The other two/three pedals would be irrelevant to this effect.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ambitious Jazz beginner
by Ruan
Today at 01:10 AM
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
Yesterday at 07:31 PM
Who's Online
71 registered (alfredo capurso, 21 invisible), 1098 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158406 Topics
2326249 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission