Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#218538 - 01/13/08 12:49 PM Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet
mongrel Offline

Loc: Western Mass
Hey all--

I've been reading these forums (fora?) for a couple of days while waiting to be approved. I can tell this is an awesome community.

My wife and I just called the seller of a Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet to tell her that, yes, we will buy her piano for $250. It's from the '50s, but I can't be sure exactly when. Based on pics I've found on the Internet, it seems like mebbe a '55. Serial number (the number embossed on the oval plate inside, anyway) is 661738, if anyone would be kind enough to shed some light on that for me.

We made the decision to buy this based on the affection people in this community have for this little workhorse. For the price, how much could we really go wrong, ya know? But some of you have expressed complaints about the Acrosonic and I wonder if anyone can shed any light on:

1) The issue of "full-blow" action; is this a bad thing?

2) The plate also says "Acrosonic Action," "Akros Supreme," "SonusTone," and "Supreme Tone." Do these phrases mean anything to anyone? Or is it just marketing?

3) What types of knowledge/jargon should I know so that I can understand what the tech says when I get one in to tune/inspect the piano?

4) Any other advice people can think of for someone who has already taken the plunge and is just waiting for a guy with a truck to call me back to let me know when he's available?

My wife played for a while years ago. As a kid, I took lessons from an ancient woman whose house smelled perpetually of onions and celery and who whacked my fingers with a ruler when I didn't keep them curved. Primarily, the piano will be for our daughter, now 16 months, who is showing some kind of spooky musical inclinations.

Thanks all, and have a great weekend!

mongrel

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#218539 - 01/13/08 01:58 PM Re: Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
It was made in 1959.Actually a good year for acrosonics, better than their later years as for quality. If it appears to be in good shape both cosmetically and playability, how can you go wrong for $250. Probably cost that much to move,pitchraise,tune and address some incidental issues Good luck !
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#218540 - 01/14/08 09:06 AM Re: Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet
westarm Offline

Loc: Indiana, USA
i have an Acrosonic spinet built in 1956 or 1957. "little workhorse" is a good description, and the sound is quite large. i bought mine used a dozen or so years ago and when i had it first tuned, the tech remarked that it had held its tuning suprisingly well and that Acrosonics from this time period were well made.

enjoy!

#218541 - 01/14/08 11:25 AM Re: Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
It was an okay piano, but it is 50 years old and a spinet. Your daughter is too young to really use it. Why not wait and see if you can find a nice studio for her? The price should not be that much different if you can find the right seller. If the Acrosonic should need some work before your daughter starts using it, it will cost a lot more to repair it, much more than the difference in price between it and a much better piano.

#218542 - 01/14/08 04:15 PM Re: Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet
mongrel Offline

Hey, thanks for the replies, folks!

BDB: Yes, my daughter is too young to really use it. But I tell you, the hairs on the back of your neck would stand up if you saw her at the keyboard. Finding the same note in every octave she can reach on the first try, making perfect thirds, creepy stuff.

The type of piano that I WANT to get is a Baldwin Studio like this one:

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/msg/536225880.html ,

but at the moment, I've got a couple/few hundred bucks to spend on a piano and just enough more to get a tech in to service it. The $250 Acrosonic seems like a good way to get my daughter's hands on some keys while she's asking for a piano all day every day.

There IS a free upright available near me, but I can't get any information about it until I actually go look at it. The woman who owns it says that the manufacturer's name is simply Odessa, Ukraine. The piano was imported from Russia some time ago, but she doesn't know by whom or when. From what I gather, unless it is one of a very few rare examples of Russian quality, the piano is likely Soviet-era rubbish. Of course, it would be free rubbish, so maybe it's worth a shot.

Also, my wife used to play, as did I (poorly) years ago, so any piano we get would be okay for now. We are renting now, and if we are in a better position after we own our own place, an upgrade will definitely make sense.

#218543 - 01/14/08 04:29 PM Re: Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet
BDB Offline

There are cheap studios out there. It is simply a matter of looking for a few more months or buying an inferior piano now.

#218544 - 01/14/08 04:48 PM Re: Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet
mongrel Offline

Well, let's assume that I'm not going to be able to afford more than, say, $2K for a piano over the next six months. What names in studios would you be on the lookout for if that was your budget?

I do want to keep an open mind, but, well, I'm poor.

#218545 - 01/14/08 05:06 PM Re: Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet
BDB Offline

Hamiltons (big brothers of Acrosonics) and Everetts are good names in 45" studio pianos and regularly show up for $500-$1000 around here. There was a topic last month where we found an Everett for someone in that price range.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
100 registered (anotherscott, bennevis, angelsong, 36251, 26 invisible), 1353 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153540 Topics
2250150 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
04/18/14 08:19 AM
Requests?
by kent2012
04/18/14 08:06 AM
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
04/18/14 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
04/17/14 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
04/17/14 11:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission