Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2186031 - 11/21/13 12:25 AM Bach and Mozetich
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Hi gang

here's two selections I recently recorded.. Bach prelude and fugue in c#- and Mozetich "Prelude":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9OrXSVFnXQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqY7KFa1pu8

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2186158 - 11/21/13 08:09 AM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Exquisite. Sublime. Awe-inspiring.

#2186326 - 11/21/13 01:03 PM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

sorry, i was hoping to edit those but it won't let me.. here is an easier way:

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2186350 - 11/21/13 01:34 PM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Bravossimo!!

You have such a high skill of analyzing, absorbing and then conveying music that, it is always a refreshing and unique experience to listen to your performances.

I really enjoyed listening, thanks for sharing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2186371 - 11/21/13 02:04 PM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Thank you! The Mozetich was a very interesting experience for me. I had one coaching on it with someone (not my teacher), and recorded it after studying it for two weeks. Still a long way to go, but it was a very good experience for me.

#2186529 - 11/21/13 07:33 PM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
It's playing like this that separates the real pianists from so many of the rest of us who just try to play the piano!

Wonderful!

Thank you.

Regards,

#2186541 - 11/21/13 08:02 PM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
What Bruce said.

I really enjoyed your Bach. Obviously you are not just playing the notes but have a great sense of the whole architecture.

Brilliant! Post more Bach!

#2186547 - 11/21/13 08:14 PM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I love listening to you play. Your dynamic control in the Mozetich was exquisite. If I could make one suggestion, it would be to play more. smile

#2186570 - 11/21/13 09:07 PM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Excellent!!! You continue to improve every single time I hear you.
Your Bach has come a long way, since I last heard you play it. I think the prelude is very, very good and there is little I'd do to change it. With the fugue (the greatest of the 48) I would take a broader tempo and work on creating one, long continuous line in the last section which is full of drama. I'll talk to you about it and give you details. I wish you would play more Bach!

The Mozetich, I must admit, I'm not familiar with, but you make me want to investigate. I love the piece. Beautiful color in your playing here.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2186685 - 11/22/13 02:55 AM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Pogo - you are awesome. That was the best Bach I ever heard. I don't know how to say this but it's totally beyond textbook. Not just independence of voices, I hear real intimate conversation is going on between them and among them. They relate to each other. And what an effective use of pedal. It was so clean and resonant at the same time. I know I'm not good enough to comment but could not help it. It moved me.

Loved the other piece too. I have never heard of the composer. I have to google it. Thank you for sharing the performance. I wish you come to Arizona!
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2187120 - 11/22/13 11:49 PM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

You are all too kind.. thank you for listening and for your comments! It really means a lot to me that someone takes the time to listen..

#2187469 - 11/23/13 06:34 PM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
Louis Podesta Online   content
500 Post Club Member

I have listened to this Bach recording many times, and I still come away with the same impression. And, that impression has to do with my familiarity with the music of other composers.

My philosophy is that J.S. Bach should sound like J.S. Bach. His son J.C. Bach has a totally different sound, as did his brother Emmanuel.

So, Claude Debussy, as well as his contemporary Ravel, used to go nuts when pianists would try to "romanticize" their music. And, I am a pianist/philosopher whose entire life, at the piano, has been and is a spiritual experience.

This recording ain't it.

Paraphrasing what I said to Carey recently, it is very precise and beautiful playing, but it ain't J.S. Bach, in my opinion.

Parenthetically, I do not pedal Bach or Mozart because with the proper type of legato I do not find it to be necessary.

Edited by Ken Knapp (11/24/13 07:14 AM)
Edit Reason: Removed school reference.

#2187477 - 11/23/13 06:43 PM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Louis Podesta]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: Louis Podesta
I have listened to this Bach recording many times, and I still come away with the same impression. And, that impression has to do with my familiarity with the music of other composers.

My philosophy is that J.S. Bach should sound like J.S. Bach. His son J.C. Bach has a totally different sound, as did his brother Emmanuel.

So, Claude Debussy, as well as his contemporary Ravel, used to go nuts when pianists would try to "romanticize" their music. And, I am a pianist/philosopher whose entire life, at the piano, has been and is a spiritual experience.

This recording ain't it. It is someone, who is currently, or formerly attended The Glenn Gould School, trying to sound like Andras Schiff.

Paraphrasing what I said to Carey recently, it is very precise and beautiful playing, but it ain't J.S. Bach, in my opinion.

Parenthetically, I do not pedal Bach or Mozart because with the proper type of legato I do not find it to be necessary.
Would you like to explain to Angelina "what is Bach" in your opinion, WITHOUT posting any videos, or mentioning the name of none other but yourself?

You see your claims are as valid as your playing is right now: None existent! Where's YOUR personality, YOUR opinion and YOUR performance to speak for YOU?

Don't you realize that what you've just told Angelina is that she's not playing a work by a composer who's been dead for 270 years, as she should be. Like the score can transfer enough information about that precise feeling that Bach is. As if Bach had the same instruments and the same mindset that Angelina and any performer today has. It's as if the Internet doesn't exist, mobile phones don't exist, TV doesn't exist and we can go back to the pure mindset that Bach might've had when composing and performing his works.

#2187493 - 11/23/13 07:08 PM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Louis Podesta]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Actually Angelina's playing in general is infinitely more competent than my own - and I believe she has a wonderful career ahead of her. smile

#2187516 - 11/23/13 08:01 PM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Two things: 1. I played this for P. Lewis recently, and we talked about pedal in Bach - after saying he liked my pedal very much, he agreed that we use pedal in Bach not for legato, but for sound. Did I blur anything? In that case, I failed. But I dont think I did... smile

2. I'm curious to see why this is considered romantic playing? I didnt screw around with the rhythm, or add exsessive rubatos? I just tried to shape things. Maybe I didnt do a good enough job, after all I'm not a great scholar like yourself. Maybe it isnt dry and midi-like, as many other interpretations, but that is how I view the music and I'm not going to apologize for it.

But thank you for... listening.

Edited by Pogorelich. (11/23/13 08:22 PM)

#2187520 - 11/23/13 08:12 PM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Nikolas]
Louis Podesta Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas

This recording ain't it. It is someone, who is currently, or formerly attended The Glenn Gould School, trying to sound like Andras Schiff.

Would you like to explain to Angelina "what is Bach" in your opinion, WITHOUT posting any videos, or mentioning the name of none other but yourself?

You see your claims are as valid as your playing is right now: None existent! Where's YOUR personality, YOUR opinion and YOUR performance to speak for YOU?

Don't you realize that what you've just told Angelina is that she's not playing a work by a composer who's been dead for 270 years, as she should be. Like the score can transfer enough information about that precise feeling that Bach is. As if Bach had the same instruments and the same mindset that Angelina and any performer today has. It's as if the Internet doesn't exist, mobile phones don't exist, TV doesn't exist and we can go back to the pure mindset that Bach might've had when composing and performing his works.

Once again, her name is not Angelina, and I will post her true website link at the end of this discourse.

Secondly, Phil and I have lived in the world of Donald Willing, who, not only encouraged his students to think "outside the box," in regards the music of the Baroque Period, he mandated it!

This is not Bach!

Please read the tea leaves for yourselves. It goes against everything I said about Donald Wiling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9OrXSVFnXQ

#2187523 - 11/23/13 08:18 PM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Once again, my aim is not to please everyone as that is impossible. So I'm fine with what you say. I just dont agree and I will not play another way.

#2187527 - 11/23/13 08:29 PM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
jazzyprof Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Bach himself would be delighted to hear his music so wonderfully played in the cantabile style that he advocated. Bravo, fair lady!

#2187540 - 11/23/13 08:55 PM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Louis Podesta]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there

Once again, her name is not Angelina, and I will post her true website link at the end of this discourse.

Secondly, Phil and I have lived in the world of Donald Willing, who, not only encouraged his students to think "outside the box," in regards the music of the Baroque Period, he mandated it!

This is not Bach!

Please read the tea leaves for yourselves. It goes against everything I said about Donald Wiling.

Who cares, if her name is Angelina, or not? What's your point? You should change YOUR name after making such an idiot out of yourself on this forum.

This IS Bach, but you wouldn't realise that, because your head is stuck too far up your assumption that you, and only you, are aware of the "correct" way to play anything.

I'd like to add that I, moments ago, deleted another post directed your way that may very well have gotten me permanently banned. It is very difficult for me to hold my tongue at times and with you even more so.

Edited by stores (11/23/13 09:10 PM)

#2187547 - 11/23/13 09:22 PM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Pogo,

I really enjoyed both recordings very much! I'm actually listening to other Mozetich pieces now and I'm really enjoying his works. Is the prelude very difficult? I might want to take a look later, because it sounds very good.

The Bach is of course, very musical and incredible. I wish I could play like that.

Your playing remains very inspirational...I love how you take care of the inner lines and small details while retaining the long line and the underlying drama. One day I hope to play just as well as you!
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2187577 - 11/24/13 12:31 AM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Louis Podesta]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Hem... who cares? I know her name but in internet forums everyone goes by their nickname, rather than their full name. Some of us chose to have our real names on, others didn't. BIG deal!

Quote:
Oooohhhh goody! you know yet more people! How fascinating!

Quote:
This is not Bach!
Apart from "says who" (because you're voicing someone else's words, rather than your own if you want to talk about it), the whole part about what is Bach went unanswered by you! Bravo!

Quote:

Hmmm...

Oh well,

Enough polluting of this thread I think!

Angelina,

I really enjoyed your Bach. It has absolutely nothing that I did not enjoy. It was how I was taught Bach and how I enjoy listening to it. I didn't mind one bit the pedal and it's a choice that I also made in my own exams years ago. There's a very strict control of tone and the tempo remains rather rigid throughout.

AS you may know from these forums, I'm probably an advocate for freedom of thought on performances. The "This is not Bach" comment makes me angry exactly for that. Bach's been dead for so long...

Your Mozetich was right to the point *I Think*, but I have very limited knowledge of his works thus I'll limit my comments to the impression your performance made to me.

But I'd like to comment, if you want, to the choice of work. And this is as personal as it can get. I found the Mozetich prelude a bit... uninspiring. I don't know if it's a well known one, or something else, but I felt that you were given limited chances to do something much more interesting... :-/

#2187596 - 11/24/13 03:48 AM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
AS you may know from these forums, I'm probably an advocate for freedom of thought on performances. The "This is not Bach" comment makes me angry exactly for that. Bach's been dead for so long...

I'm similarly minded, and since I've always wondered this, now might be the best time to ask -- what will you do in 200 years when someone says, "This is not Nikolas!"

#2187611 - 11/24/13 06:08 AM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

My only complaint about the Bach P&F would not be about Pogo's wonderful interpretation but about the piano itself.

It is probably not tuned in "Well Temperament".
Therefore, not producing a choral like sound Bach would have probably thought of.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2187618 - 11/24/13 07:12 AM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
Ken Knapp Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Wow. Pogo, all I can say is wow! They are both wonderful.

While one post above criticizes because "it ain't it", I say nonsense. Some people read music with their eyes. Others read music with their hearts. What I hear seems to come from your heart. If we simply "type it out", we would only need one recording.

BRAVO!

Piano Organ Depot
http://www.pianoorgandepot.com
Hammond Organ Technician
http://www.tonewheeltech.com
Vice President - MITA, International
http://www.mitatechs.org
http://www.facebook.com/MITATechs

#2187641 - 11/24/13 08:45 AM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Derulux]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Derulux

I'm similarly minded, and since I've always wondered this, now might be the best time to ask -- what will you do in 200 years when someone says, "This is not Nikolas!"
I'll probably teleport to his place and tell him: "Louis! This IS Nikolas. Get off my lawn"... or something along those lines... grin

#2187687 - 11/24/13 11:11 AM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Absolutely gorgeous, Pogo. Both performances were a delight to listen to. Very inspiring!

#2187689 - 11/24/13 11:21 AM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
wower Online   blank

Loc: Calgary
Thanks for posting this Pogo. Ignore the buzz kill LP. Your performance was excellent and you also introduced me to the music of Mozetich.

#2187821 - 11/24/13 04:57 PM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Very nice, Pogorelich. Well thought out, played with feeling and pudeur as they say in French, hard to translate, modesty perhaps. Thanks!

#2188040 - 11/25/13 11:41 AM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
woodog Offline

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
I listened to this last Thursday for the first time at work, and quite a few times since.

If the purpose of performance is to touch someone and transport them to a different, dare I say 'spiritual' place, then you've succeeded. That day it was an oasis in a difficult day filled with difficult people.

The music is so beautiful, and I've shared your recording with many at this point.

thank you for sharing this.

Forrest

--------------------
current studies:
Debussy: Suite Bergamasque
Beethoven Op. 78
Bach WTC 1, C# Major (#3)

#2188845 - 11/26/13 06:18 PM Re: Bach and Mozetich [Re: Pogorelich.]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
As usual Pogo, like everyone else has already said, your performance is astounding. I love how you bring out the voices in the Bach - the way I'd like to play it if I had the ability. I haven't listened to the other one yet, but I will do someday soon.

The real question here is when are we gonna get the Beethoven 111??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
157 registered (*windowlicker*, Abby Pianoman, ajames, accordeur, anamnesis, 36251, 47 invisible), 1507 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75959 Members
42 Forums
157088 Topics
2306929 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New old Vose and Sons Upright Piano
by RT White
23 minutes 6 seconds ago
Kawai ES100 vs Kawai MP7
by gbitw
Today at 08:28 AM
Better Practice, Hands Together or Separate etc.
by Sionos
Today at 08:04 AM
Timing of the trill Invention no 1
by DreamOfSleeping
Today at 03:55 AM
Consolation 3 played by Paul Barton question
by briandang
Today at 01:37 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission