2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
OP Offline
I
Okay, so I know that his Prelude in C Sharp minor is one of the most hackneyed piece in classical music. However, when you really put things into perspective, 99.7% of the population does not even know he exists.

I made an interesting connection between an awful rap song (Double platinum with over 50 million views) called "Rack City." Rack City has greatly influenced the youth with lyrics like: Rack city bi*** rack city bi***, ten ten twenties on your ti**ies bi*** (and thats just the chorus). The versus are even worse. Anyways the instrumental uses the same introductory motif that Rach wrote over a hundred years ago. I doubt it was intentional, however the connection stands.

I'd like to open up some discussion on the lack of change from the classical music industry in regards to these "Masterpieces," which we as pianist should not touch. I decided to shorten Rach's prelude and connected it to this rap song so when young people search for "Rack City" - some will find "Rack City vs. Rachmaninoff." Somewhat of a red herring, I am hoping that my project opens up the door for other (much better) musicians to adopt a similar marketing technique which enables people who most likely will never get the chance to experience classical music - to experience classical music via mainstream connections. Now I shortened it because the attention spans of the youth are abysmal - from experience I doubt any young kid is going to listen through a 4-5 minute prelude. Which is a shame because that agitato section is remarkably inspiring - regardless how many times I hear it.

It was actually that section of music which inspired me to start playing piano 3 years ago, when I was losing my mind in undergrad as a biology major. Anyways, I am really looking for your feedback - I know my voicing, phrasing, and overall playing needs much work - but I hope you can find some sympathy in regards to how long I have been playing - and rather focus on the concept and how we can bring this idea to more classical musicians.

Another quick example is just doing covers of popular music on your channel which consists of classical music. We need to start adapting to the current times or I believe all hope will be lost.

Rack City vs. Rachmaninoff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLWrjNEaz3E

P.S Rachmaninoff already had a certain distaste for this piece because of its unusual popularity - however, I believe that if he heard Rack City and this other crap that is on the radio - he would be glad that at least somewhere out there his music is still being heard...

Thoughts, comments, criticisms are much appreciated as your time is.

Thank you,
Daniel
www.Danielinnovate.com

Last edited by innov8music; 11/20/13 01:56 AM.
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Did you seriously dump your swag on that beautiful piano? frown I must admit, I laughed when you took off the d**che-chain. Still, um, you're not bad for three years; not bad *at all*. A good choice of font, by the way, for the video I mean; a classic font that's been rather adopted by the wannabe gangsters, for some reason...God, let's not get into that laugh Um...it's just...oh, I mean no offence, but surely when you try to bridge two worlds you can't help but diminish the value of both? As The Hitcher from The Boosh put it: "combining elements of the past and future to make something not quite as good as either". I can far from condemn what you're trying to do, really, but, um, I'm not so sure that *that* many people don't get a chance to listen to classical music. Certainly, the majority of people I know do. I don't know...follow wherever your passions take you and don't let the opinions of anyone stop you...I mean, um, I would never do what you are doing and I make no pretence otherwise; but that's just what I'd do. Do what you want. I see no value in it for *me*, but that's because I'm already on the side to which you're trying to transport people. Maybe if you keep practicing you could play, and I say this in the least elitist way possible wink , properly and I'll really love what you have to offer. As it is, I recognise that there *is* value in what you're doing and I respect your decision to pursue it. By the way, I think someone used Debussy's first Arabesque (?)in one of their hip-hop (?) pieces. Frankly, I don't listen to either so I couldn't pinpoint it any further, but I'm sure it's the first Arabesque...like, um, Beyonce or someone...I...I wouldn't be so sure the influence wasn't intentional in your example ("Rack city"?), though of course I'd never dare suggest it is...anyway! Um...I'll let you get on; good work, nice idea, keep at it, welcome, have fun, I hope you're well and enjoy your night and day!
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That's a nice idea and even if Sergei's bones are rattling down there... who cares... laugh

I would admit that I, as a knowledgeable classical lover, would expect more... not "just" a Rachmaninoff performance (butchered, but I don't mind, personally).

That last bit is "stolen" from WANTED perhaps? wink

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I think you would be surprised how well-versed professional musicians (of every background, and across most genres) actually are.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Excuse me while I hurl.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
Excuse me while I hurl.

I didn't want to be the one to say it.

Originally Posted by innov8music
Okay, so I know that his Prelude in C Sharp minor is one of the most hackneyed piece in classical music.

No.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Every time we talk about the purists in classical music and elitism I will be hot linking this thread! wink

Originally Posted by Nikolas
Every time we talk about the purists in classical music and elitism I will be hot linking this thread! wink

+1 I lol'd.

Cool concept, could be developed further but that's just my opinion. For the most part well executed too, some details here and there but that might just be personal taste.

Bad spellers of the world untie!
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...I doubt any young kid is going to listen through a 4-5 minute prelude. Which is a shame because that agitato section is remarkably inspiring...

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. It's my experience that the young enjoy agitato sections--- and even manufacture them on their own. God knows, Rachmaninoff has been pilfered plenty for the popular music market.

The real question is not, "is Rachmaninoff killing you," but, "are you killing Rachmaninoff?" Even if you were, I can't see him reaching up from the grave to drag you off the piano bench, just because you're giving it a shot. If you're bold enough to post it on the web, you're probably not that worried about it yourself.

Clef

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by innov8music

Another quick example is just doing covers of popular music on your channel which consists of classical music. We need to start adapting to the current times or I believe all hope will be lost.

Rack City vs. Rachmaninoff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLWrjNEaz3E

Thank you,
Daniel
www.Danielinnovate.com

Cool, man! grin

BTW, old Rach never hesitated to cut bits out of his music to suit his audience (or himself). And Horowitz never played Rach 3 uncut - even in his so-called 'complete' performances from the 1970s onwards, he lopped off a 'superfluous' climax (or two) from the cadenza......

Now, I'll go put my flak jacket on wink .

If music be the food of love, play on!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FSO
By the way, I think someone used Debussy's first Arabesque (?)in one of their hip-hop (?) pieces. Frankly, I don't listen to either so I couldn't pinpoint it any further, but I'm sure it's the first Arabesque...like, um, Beyonce or someone[?]

That was Alicia Keys in Like the Sea. She had previously used Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata in the intro to her first studio album Songs in A minor although that particular piece has probably been used in everything.

But 'pianist' is one of the many hats that Keys wears.

I
OP Offline
I
I laughed SO hard while I read your first sentence. LOL! Thank you so much for the kind words, as well as the other feelings in there.

I promise you that I am working tirelessly on my technique, as well as just my understanding of music and the instrument. I'm looking forward to someday soon recording and filming the Chopin Nocturne in e minor (Op 72 no 1) in a more untouched way. So perhaps that will be something more towards your taste.

Just wanted to thank you again for your time and consideration. Hope you enjoy your night and day as well!

I
OP Offline
I
Yes maybe he twitched a bit if he noticed my project. But I can only imagine his reaction knowing that the Kardashians are the influencers of the current times - with all that "talent" and "hard work" they have to offer this world.

Sorry for the butchering, I spent literally my last 400$ producing the video and renting the studio out. And I only had a couple hours to direct, record, and film everything. With so much on my plate that day, perfect voicing was unfortunately not my priority.

Actually I didn't consciously steal that from the movie Wanted! But now that I think about it, thats a cool connection. Honestly I released this project 6 months ago with a really stupid ending where I presented a graph of keyword "Rachmaninoff vs "Tyga," (the rapper of Rack city). No one really understood the graph but it illustrated that less and less people around the world are searching for him and more and more are focused on "pop" stars.

Anyways thanks for your thoughts. Appreciate your lack of hostility as a knowledgable classical music lover. smile

I
OP Offline
I
I'm not quite sure I understand where you are going with your statement.

Thank you for your response though and your time. Feel free to clarify if you choose so.

I
OP Offline
I
Thank you for your insight! I hurl a bit too when I hear my awful chord voicing in the opening phrase (throughout actually). As well as the little hesitations in-between most of my phrases. Especially as the agitato section develops.

I've only been playing for 3 years though and if you watch my first video on youtube my piano skills are quite pathetic. Anyways, thank again for watching. Best to you.

I
OP Offline
I
Haha! Hey thank you so much for keeping this project in mind for all the purists! I've already have a few send me death threats via email!

I must be doing something right. Just wait till you hear my Chopin!! :p

Thanks for your time, sincerely!

I
OP Offline
I
Nikolas, thanks so much for your time. I agree with you about the undeveloped-ness. Like I mentioned in a previous reply. I did this all on a really small (personal) budget on a tight time constraint.

Also only have been playing for a short while, which I'm actually thankful for in a weird way because I have not become so prejudice and purist towards classical music.

Much appreciated that you took your time to watch and you entertain the idea of sharing it with those purists!

Thank you.

I
OP Offline
I
Yes Jeff, you are correct, I do not worry much about what people think of me personally. Classical music fortunately dragged me out of a dark and despairing abyss. I understand now the value of my potential and creativity.

I can only hope that my projects allow others to find such solace via this music.

I've noticed kids enjoy agitato sections as well. Most pieces do not begin with agitato so this was my way to speed up the process a bit and give them a chance to find it.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

I
OP Offline
I
Thanks so much for the words of encouragement.

I'm actually on my second book about Rach and have just read the bit about how he played improvisations and variations for his grandmothers guests during summer vacation. He figured that they didn't know the difference between Mozart and Liszt anyways so he just had fun and created his own riffs and abbreviations.

Thank you again for your time watching my project.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission