Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2186245 - 11/21/13 10:42 AM What to do When Your Voice is Too Low?
aTallGuyNH Offline

I have an ongoing struggle with the fact that my vocal range (roughly from G3 to D5) is much lower than the typical pop song, not to mention being pretty narrow.

I'm working on Phil Collins' "Against All Odds" (sheet here), which is in Db and has a range from Gb4 to Bb5.

I could drop the whole thing (meaning including the piano) down by an octave, but it sounds terribly muddy. If I drop down just my vocal, I have two issues: one is that the vocal gets lost in the middle of the piano, and the other is that I really can't hold a tune -- I need to sing along with the melody being played.

I noticed that in the 1st few chords simply singing the top note of the chords (which are a 4th below the sung melody) sounds pretty good. From there, there are some chords where this doesn't work, but they can be inverted to fix that.

So, here's my question, before I invest a lot of time figuring this out (I'm a beginner, I can't just rip through doing a bunch of inversions on the fly, and my music theory knowledge is fairly basic):

1) Is this just dumb luck that it appears to work for the 1st few chords? There are a lot of sus & add4's in the song in general, so it does make sense for those chords in particular.

2) Is there a general principal here that I can leverage. Basically, what I'm trying to do is keep the chords "the same" (of course inversions are OK) and move the melody lower, while maintaining the overall character/feel of the song.

3) Any other advice on this "my voice is too low" conundrum in general?

Even if the above works, at Db the top notes will still be above my range... so I'd probably drop it down to B in order to get a bit closer. I believe that is the original recording key as well.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

Piano & Music Accessories
#2186286 - 11/21/13 12:00 PM Re: What to do When Your Voice is Too Low? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
Farmerjones Offline

Loc: USA
I went to chordie.com and selected Against All Odds.
Over on the left is a transpose tool. Mind you, it's just guitar chords and lyrics. This may be all you need.

Indeed, one's range is what it is. Jump to the lower harmony note or phrase in a logical fashion is what I try to do. Best of Luck

Edited by Farmerjones (11/21/13 12:01 PM)

#2186332 - 11/21/13 01:11 PM Re: What to do When Your Voice is Too Low? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
aTallGuyNH Offline

Thanks... that's the thing though: I know I can (and how to) transpose down, but I don't like the way that sounds. And singing the harmony of each chord would leave me without a melody (unless it's consistently a certain number of steps below the melody).

So I'm trying to figure out how to have my cake and eat it too. smile

XXIX-XXXII

#2186354 - 11/21/13 01:39 PM Re: What to do When Your Voice is Too Low? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
dire tonic Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
That high Bb is pretty much at the top of his range. You'd need to be at the top of yours to give the chorus enough power. That would put you in the key of E or F max - but an octave lower. Have you tried singing the chorus in that key? Best to tackle that first for feasibility.

#2186406 - 11/21/13 03:13 PM Re: What to do When Your Voice is Too Low? [Re: dire tonic]
aTallGuyNH Offline

Originally Posted By: dire tonic
That high Bb is pretty much at the top of his range. You'd need to be at the top of yours to give the chorus enough power. That would put you in the key of E or F max - but an octave lower. Have you tried singing the chorus in that key? Best to tackle that first for feasibility.

Good point...

One point though, the top note is a 6th above the key, which I'm noting as much for my own benefit as anything (I keep getting confused re: how to determine that note in any given key).

I just checked, and yes, it's feasible. I'm sick at the moment so it sounds pretty rough, but when healthy I can hit the neighborhood of D5 & E5 with enough of a stretch to make it sound interesting, but without it sounding awful -- to the degree I can sing at all, but that's another story. smile

Using my wacky idea of having the melody a 4th below the melody as written (without dropping the key for the piano as well), transposing down a whole step from Db to B would put the top note at D#.

Not using my wacky idea, then I'd need to transpose all the way down to F# in order to have D# as the top note. That low I think it is just too muddy (I mean the piano, my voice would be the same in either of these two scenarios).

XXIX-XXXII

#2186620 - 11/21/13 11:29 PM Re: What to do When Your Voice is Too Low? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2186633 - 11/22/13 12:00 AM Re: What to do When Your Voice is Too Low? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
How Great Thou Art was my mother's favorite hymn. Wetherington uses his "morning voice" doesn't he laugh You know, the one you have when you first get up.

These are great examples of how the piano can be higher than the voice -

Cathy

#2186712 - 11/22/13 04:07 AM Re: What to do When Your Voice is Too Low? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
dire tonic Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
(On a lighter note, one possible remedy for a voice too low would be to inhale from a bag of helium immediately prior to each public performance. That should give you a half-octave edge, while bringing tears to the eyes of your audience.)

I was thinking of the Righteous Brothers (Lost that Lovin' Feeling) who were definitely in the low vocal range but were still able to vent the frustration and regret of lost love. It's probably more about putting in a 'performance' than relying on a high key. Also, Phil Spector's productions were always muddy. So lots of low LH octaves (try very low) while inverting the RH chords for your key in order to keep them hovering round the middle C range should do the trick.

This is where a digital piano scores for vocalists, being able to quickly audition keys and/or harmony by simply using the transpose button. OTOH, when you talk about investing a lot of time, I do think it's time well spent when the end result will be increased familiarity with transpositions and getting used to the shape of chords on the piano. Every little helps.

Quote:
the top note is a 6th above the key, which I'm noting as much for my own benefit as anything (I keep getting confused re: how to determine that note in any given key).

No magic formula, just practise based on familiarity with the scale. Visualise the scale or look directly at the keyboard, see the 6th and name it. After a while A = the 6th of C becomes second nature and the visualising falls away as an unnecessary intermediate step. That'll happen in no time if you've been hopping between two or three alternative keys and you're memorising specifically the 6th.

I'm not convinced that using a harmony instead of the original melody is going to work for an audience. As you're singing you might well be 'hearing' or 'filling in' the main melodic line in your mind's ear but I don't think the listener will get it.

Best to wait until you're well before trying anything serious.

#2186736 - 11/22/13 07:08 AM Re: What to do When Your Voice is Too Low? [Re: jotur]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur
How Great Thou Art was my mother's favorite hymn. Wetherington uses his "morning voice" doesn't he laugh You know, the one you have when you first get up.

These are great examples of how the piano can be higher than the voice -

Cathy

It's one of my favorites too ... yep, those gospel singers must record even earlier than I get up in the am.

I'd tried to find a Trace Adkins tape with a piano only but didn't have much luck.

#2186738 - 11/22/13 07:11 AM Re: What to do When Your Voice is Too Low? [Re: Rerun]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
.... inhale from a bag of helium immediately prior to each public performance.

Heh, heh, heh ... good one! grin

#2191543 - 12/02/13 05:50 PM Re: What to do When Your Voice is Too Low? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
lolatu Offline

Loc: UK
1) It may sound OK to you, but it's not the "right" notes, as composed. It's something else.

2) No - singing at a 4th below will just sound out of key, because it literally is!

3) Don't worry, you're not alone. Bb4 is near the top of the tenor range, and since most men are in the baritone range, they won't be able to reach that high. Phil Collins has a pretty high voice.

BTW I think your voice really goes to D4, not D5. Although it's written in the treble cleff, a male voice would sing the melody an octave lower, so what's written as Bb5 is sung by Phil as Bb4.

I have the same problem since I'm a bass, and a lot of songs are in the tenor range. Maybe because it cuts through the piano better.

I guess the conventional answer would be to find a different song to sing, or get someone else to do the singing.

Another thing you could do is to sing falsetto if there's the odd note you need to hit. This is what I'd do for this song, as I can just about reach a G and can get to most of the notes save a few. It's a challenge to blend it in with the rest of the singing and to add enough grit, and it'd sound silly if you were doing this for most of the song, but it can work for the odd note.

Otherwise, you'll have to change the key. This is a really good exercise. You could transpose down a 4th if you want to keep most of the black notes, or 6 semitones like white notes. You can change the chord voicings around if you want as well, if it sounds muddy. Maybe start by writing down the chords in universal key.

#2191852 - 12/03/13 11:25 AM Re: What to do When Your Voice is Too Low? [Re: dire tonic]
de cajon Offline

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: dire tonic
... inhale from a bag of helium immediately prior to each public performance...

At long last this news item might now be explained. Perhaps they were frustrated Art Garfunkel tribute artists.

#2196228 - 12/11/13 06:33 PM Re: What to do When Your Voice is Too Low? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
Just play it in the key that works for your range

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
128 registered (Atrys, antony, accordeur, Arizona Sage, Almaviva, 36 invisible), 1401 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153514 Topics
2249592 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
6 minutes 38 seconds ago
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
Cristina Perri - HUMAN piano cover
by SAO
Yesterday at 11:12 PM
Valentina Lisitsa plays Michael Nyman!!
by ShiroKuro
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission