Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2188235 - 11/25/13 06:45 PM Re: Lies Music Teachers Believe [Re: laguna_greg]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
Originally Posted By: laguna_greg
And if you think that's what it takes to make a successful studio, or have good career as a teacher, you don't know 1- much about this business, or 2- anything about teaching.

Agreed. Shameless self promotion usually is counterproductive in this business. Teaching piano often involves working with the same client(s) (our students) for over ten years. Why would there be a need for pushy "used-car-salesman" behavior? Visibility within the community and perhaps some tasteful advertising can be beneficial at times.

I hope the OP is listening. These can be hard learning points, but worthwhile. There have been several advertising, self serving posts in the past. Forum members seem to have gracefully ignored them. I think this one was past the tipping point.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2188313 - 11/25/13 10:04 PM Re: Lies Music Teachers Believe [Re: musicpassion]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Originally Posted By: musicpassion
And if you think that's what it takes to make a successful studio, or have good career as a teacher, you don't know 1- much about this business, or 2- anything about teaching.

Agreed. Shameless self promotion usually is counterproductive in this business. Teaching piano often involves working with the same client(s) (our students) for over ten years. Why would there be a need for pushy "used-car-salesman" behavior? Visibility within the community and perhaps some tasteful advertising can be beneficial at times.

I hope the OP is listening. These can be hard learning points, but worthwhile. There have been several advertising, self serving posts in the past. Forum members seem to have gracefully ignored them. I think this one was past the tipping point.

Hi Passion,

In this day and age of Skype lessons, and digital this-and-that, sometimes these hard-sell strategies work...to make money.

But it doesn't make great musicians, and it doesn't produce Great Art. And it also doesn't make for a very nice life, in the long run, nor does it lead to the success people think it will. Nothing easy ever does.

But today, instant gratification takes too long! God help these people if they ever have to learn how to play a trill.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2188431 - 11/26/13 02:21 AM Re: Lies Music Teachers Believe [Re: laguna_greg]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
it also doesn't make for a very nice life, in the long run, nor does it lead to the success people think it will. Nothing easy ever does.

+1

#2188435 - 11/26/13 02:46 AM Re: Lies Music Teachers Believe [Re: laguna_greg]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: musicpassion

Hi Passion,

In this day and age of Skype lessons, and digital this-and-that, sometimes these hard-sell strategies work...to make money.

But it doesn't make great musicians, and it doesn't produce Great Art. And it also doesn't make for a very nice life, in the long run, nor does it lead to the success people think it will. Nothing easy ever does.

But today, instant gratification takes too long! God help these people if they ever have to learn how to play a trill.

LG, I agree with you about Skype when people truly have the chance to study with teachers in real time.

(There are special circumstances when that is not possible.)

For me the biggest drawback is the quality of sound. Even when both people - teacher and student - have good cameras, Skype does not always provide great connections, and even when it does the sound at best is not too good.

Also, even when cameras are working well, it's not the same as being able to move around and see things from all distances and angles.

#2188537 - 11/26/13 09:29 AM Re: Lies Music Teachers Believe [Re: nyke]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I think that if nyke were really interested in being a part of this community, she would be posting on other topics and contributing and learning like the rest of us. Oh, and not poaching.

RE: Skype. I must say that it has allowed me to teach several students that I would not otherwise be able to teach. One was a voice student had to leave the US and return to Haiti to live with her family, and she has still progressed quite well in spite of the issues. I hope that someday she will be able to return to the US so I can work with her in person, but this is better than nothing. Same goes for my voice student who is a pop singer and often on tour all over the world. Then there are the voice and piano students who just didn't want to part ways when I moved from WI.

Apart from the woman in Haiti, however, I do get to see all of my students in person 2-3 times per year. This helps. And I would not take a voice student on Skype whom I had never worked with in person before - although piano I probably would. That hasn't come up yet. Still, nothing beats regular, in-person lessons.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2188892 - 11/26/13 07:38 PM Re: Lies Music Teachers Believe [Re: Gary D.]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Hi Moro and Gary,

I shouldn't be running down Skype so very much as I use it myself, and not just for lessons. However, I'm not in the volume piano lesson business.

I agree about its limitations. You end up intuiting a lot of things that you can't see or hear, which sometimes works.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, ajames, 36251, 39 invisible), 1313 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157139 Topics
2307780 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chopin experts: this is driving me nuts
by riley80
21 minutes 59 seconds ago
At Last - My VPC1 is Ordered!
by EmptySpace
29 minutes 58 seconds ago
Pin block not contacting plate flange
by Bob
Today at 08:33 AM
? 4 CA95/CS10 owners - soundboard vs external speakers
by markmarz
Today at 05:55 AM
Might play in hotel lounges/bars!!
by Pover
Today at 04:18 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission