2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
Having spent some time learning much of Brahms's Variations on a Theme by Schumann, Op. 9, I thought I'd share some of the simple research I did on the piece by putting together a blog. It's not high-level stuff, but it collects a lot of background material and a little bit of commentary on each of the variations. Maybe it will be of interest to somebody else.

http://brahms-schumann.blogspot.ca/

The project is under way now with the background material plus the theme and first four variations completed. I plan to continue working on it fairly steadily in coming days and weeks.

I would be happy to have your suggestions or reports of errors.

Last edited by de_schreiber; 11/21/13 04:00 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This is really great, thanks! This is one of those Brahms pieces I never really listened to. I didn't realize what theme it was based on nor did I understand much about the background of the Bunte Blatter.

However that Op. 99 Schumann set is among my favorites by that composer so now I see the Brahms Op. 9 in a new light. Listening to it right now.

D
OP Offline
D
That's great to hear. I don't understand why this piece is so badly overlooked. Its overall quietness may put it in the shadow of the Handel and Paganini Variations, but even though Brahms wrote it at the young age of twenty, it's a very interesting, complex piece with beautiful melodies and lots of interest. A friend told me he has a 40-CD set of works by Brahms and Beethoven, and this piece does not appear on any of them. Maybe people feel it's too much like Schumann and not enough like "typical" Brahms?

Isn't the Op. 99 Bunte Blätter by Schumann wonderful? It's next on my list to play (some of it, at least). Tiny gems, each so exquisite. It's amazing he could composer such beautiful things one after the other like that.

Last edited by de_schreiber; 11/21/13 08:53 PM.
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I love this set of variations and I'm glad that it found another, even more passionate admirer. Your blog posts revealed many things about the piece I didn't know and I truly thank you for it.

D
OP Offline
D
For Variation 10 I have notes taken from Jan Swafford's biography of Brahms, but I can't quite see everything he describes. He says:
(1)- begins with a melody taken from the bass line of the main theme
(2) - that melody appears in the treble while its mirror image (called inversion) forms the bass
(3) - the lilting voices in between are a speeded-up rendering of Schumann's theme (called diminution of the theme, in contapuntal technique)
(4) - then the opening soprano and bass become a canon by inversion at the distance of a measure

I'm OK with (1) and (2), I think, although the inversion in the left hand does not follow the Schumann theme exactly note by note, and maybe (3) with the same reservation. But I seem to have a blind spot for (4). Is it obvious to everybody but me?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by de_schreiber
For Variation 10 I have notes taken from Jan Swafford's biography of Brahms, but I can't quite see everything he describes. He says:
(1)- begins with a melody taken from the bass line of the main theme
(2) - that melody appears in the treble while its mirror image (called inversion) forms the bass
(3) - the lilting voices in between are a speeded-up rendering of Schumann's theme (called diminution of the theme, in contapuntal technique)
(4) - then the opening soprano and bass become a canon by inversion at the distance of a measure

I'm OK with (1) and (2), I think, although the inversion in the left hand does not follow the Schumann theme exactly note by note, and maybe (3) with the same reservation. But I seem to have a blind spot for (4). Is it obvious to everybody but me?

It starts at bar 9, but read "opening soprano and TENOR".

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by de_schreiber
But I seem to have a blind spot for (4). Is it obvious to everybody but me?

It starts at measure 9.

Regards,

Polyphonist

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission