2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
Hello,

I am 35 years old musician. I've been playing in bands since I was 14. I play drums and keyboards in my band. I took piano very briefly when I was younger but am not classically trained by any stretch. I'd like to start piano again and learn properly. Of all the various methods out there, which would you suggest I start with?

My goal is not to be a maestro or anything. I simply would like to get better so as to have another tool to improve my songwriting skills, and to be more fluid at the piano.

Suggestions welcomed, thanks!!

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Did you rely on sight reading those 35 years?

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
The Alfred All In One series is worth a look, there are three levels/books and this forum has a thread for each of them. Ideal if you're not going to use a teacher but I suggest a teacher is a great benefit.

I also like, but do not use, Piano Marvel. An online interactive course there is a 30 day free trial before committing to an inexpensive monthly subscription.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by johnbarnesiii
I'd like to start piano again and learn properly.

Using the word "properly" leaves only one choice ... get a teacher.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by dmd

And as soon as possible, I might add.

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Originally Posted by dmd

And as soon as possible, I might add.
It certainly can be done, but presumably you recognize that you've learned some bad habits over the years that are preventing you from progressing further. They are inevitable for everyone, and that is why having a teacher is necessary, because you need to be told what to undo that your'e doing wrong, and re-learn a better way to do it. It's not about notes and rhythms and things like that - although that's part of it - it's how you are playing that either helps or hinders your expressiveness.

As I always say: What makes you think you know enough about piano that you can teach yourself? And if you could, why haven't you already? Sure there's information on websites and books and youtube videos, but none of them can respond to what you're doing.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks guys for the suggestions!

I forgot to mention that yes I will be studying with a teacher for sure. But of course different teachers teach different methods so I'm merely trying to figure out which method to go with.

So Alfred is good? How does it compare to John Thompson?

Thanks again.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I been working through Faber Adult Piano Adventures book 1 and have been having fun with that. I pretty much worked through Alfred All-in-one Books 1 and 2

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
M
M
Thanks guys for the suggestions!

I forgot to mention that yes I will be studying with a teacher for sure. But of course different teachers teach different methods so I'm merely trying to figure out which method to go with.

So Alfred is good? How does it compare to John Thompson?

Thanks again.
John Thompson is very old and outdated. Alfred is better, but there are other good adult methods like Hal Leonard, and Faber. Better to pick a good teacher and just go with their recommendation.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks, yea I guess if the teacher is great and can get you there then the method is secondary. I will look into the Alfred books, actually I think I may have the first one from years ago still.

J
OP Offline
J
Update: I have started with a great piano teacher. He actually teaches the John Thompson method. I'm around 15 pages in, learning to sight read and finding it very fun. I'm practicing steadily 15-30 minutes per day everyday. I'll most likely practice more as I get further in.

Short term goal is in 6 months to a year from now have established a solid foundation on the piano using the JT books as well as my teachers great instruction.

Cheers for the comments, much appreciated!

Last edited by johnbarnesiii; 11/19/13 01:55 PM.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
that's great news, finding a good teacher is simply the best

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
A
I agree about finding the right teacher, but I have also experienced that you can
really progress if you also find the right piano method book. Switching from the
adult series to the regular children series has made a world of difference for my
learning. The development requirements are so incremental in the kids' books that
I hardly feel I am forced to stretch in my knowledge from one page to another, and
yet I am progressing continuously.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just wondering if children's books feel a bit patronizing for adults? Are those Alfred's books for kids interesting enough for you?

I wouldn't mind a slow pace that actually makes it easier to progress rather than big jumps where I'm totally lost in between the lesson, the exercise and the practice.

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
A lot of teachers these days seem to be recommending the Alfred's Premier series over their Basic course -- they say the music is much better. But there are also many non-Alfred non-adult method series.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
J
OP Offline
J
I actually have the first Alfred book from when I took piano a few years ago. However, my teacher at the time was not as 'by the book' as the one I have now. We seemed to start learning random songs right away, without first getting 'solid' with note reading.

I find the more methodical approach way better. Starting from book 1 (doing JT books now) and first getting the notes down solid. I guess there's a reason the books progress in the exact way they do.

Maybe I'll revisit Alfred's course down the line to compare with JT books, but for now I'm going to stick with my teacher's curriculum.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tangleweeds
A lot of teachers these days seem to be recommending the Alfred's Premier series over their Basic course -- they say the music is much better. But there are also many non-Alfred non-adult method series.

When I returned to piano in Jan 2011, I used the Alfred's Premier levels 4-6 to get back up to speed. They were excellent, and the pieces were actually quite enjoyable. I still play some of them for fun. I didn't find the fact that they were "children's" method books a problem at all. I think the music is better than the standard Alfred's or the Adult Alfred's. Just my opinion.

J
J
@john - just wondering, when your teacher teaches you the JT book, does he use do re mi or C D E in teaching? Thanks

J
OP Offline
J
Hi Joms, if I understand your question right, he uses C D E. Right now I'm just learning & getting used to which notes are which. I start by clapping the notes without playing, then play the piece while reciting the notes, then finally play the piece while counting the rhythm. That way you're getting used to both reciting, playing & rhythm of all pieces.

I'm almost through the intro section which is about note familiarity in both clefs. The next section introduces playing with both hands at the same time.

I'm not too familiar with the do re mi approach. What I've been exposed to so far in piano instruction has all been C D E I think.

Hope that answers you smile Thanks!

J
J
Thanks. What is counting the rhythm ? Is it reciting if it is a quarter / half / etc note?

Last edited by joms; 11/22/13 05:09 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission