2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 220 of 540 1 2 218 219 220 221 222 539 540
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
I am happy this morning. I don't have back to back business meetings starting at 7:00 am today for the first time this week. I can eat breakfast, practice a bit and go to work late (9:00 am). What a beautiful morning.

Or look at your watch at 9.30 and say, "Crap!" wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ragdoll
I have found the practice suggestions of a few here ( I think it's referred to as "chunking" with limited repeats) very helpful lately...

Can you explain how that works? I don't follow most threads, so I've missed that suggestion.

I think my "chunks" are probably much too large, so the repeats are not close enough together. I also often repeat a tricky short phrase (a few notes) many times in a row in rapid succession to get the feel of it.

I think I'm missing a middle ground... so "limited repeats" sounds like the opposite of what I need. Hence, I'm intrigued!

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I was playing Desbussy this morning and went into some sort of complete focus and it was very pleasant, I felt in control and I played this part to the end of the piece: http://youtu.be/wZIGLHae_P8?t=1m52s

It was a bit faster than that in the recording and I felt like I wasn't playing at all, my body felt light and my hands had no tension, I wasn't thinking about anything else, somehow the sound was coming through me and I there was a complete match between my inner hearing of the piece and what came out of the piano! It was amazing! I've never experienced anything like this before. Someone walked in on me and I didn't even hesitate, I kept going and only when I finished the piece I turned and said Hi, to them grinning as if I just won the lottery or something, I was that happy smile

I felt completely disconnected from my reality, and there was only the music even after I stopped playing it, I needed 2-3 minutes just to come back to my normal state. This is better than anything I've felt before. It was like being intoxicated but not from drinking but from the music!

Last edited by Teodor; 04/26/13 12:58 PM.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Can you explain how that works? I don't follow most threads, so I've missed that suggestion.

OK I'll try; when I have problems with a certain phrase or measure, MaryBee suggested that I place post-its around that measure/phrase and just concentrate on that until I get it under fingers. I love the metaphor she used of "surgery drapes" to isolate it. Also JimF suggested to only play it for a limited number of times at one sitting (5-6), to let the brain have time to work on it and not keep doing it until I get frustrated.

This helps me because I have a tendency to stumble into these troublesome parts by beginning at the start of the piece. The post-its remind me to start there and stop there until I play it right despite how many sittings it takes. I hope this clarifies it a bit. smile

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
[quote]C Also JimF suggested to only play it for a limited number of times at one sitting (5-6), to let the brain have time to work on it and not keep doing it until I get frustrated.

I'm always reminded of the quotation about Mozart and his father. His father would have ten marbles in one hand. When Mozart practiced a phrase correctly, one marble would move to the other hand. After ten times, done ... but one mistake and they all moved back.

Now, personally that would give me immense frustration; but the writer's point was that instead it forced Mozart to slow down so he wouldn't make a mistake ... tada!

There is a good school of thought that, how ever many times you get it wrong, the last time has to be right otherwise all your brain remembers is how to do it wrong and you start over the next day. I think we all know it isn't that simple.

Kawai K3
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I was curios about it so last week I took five beans and tried it. It was effective but it also distracted me a bit because I kept thinking about the beans instead of the music.

Last edited by Teodor; 04/26/13 01:21 PM. Reason: spelling errors

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Teodor
I was playing Desbussy this morning and went into some sort of complete focus and it was very pleasant, I felt in control and I played this part to the end of the piece: http://youtu.be/wZIGLHae_P8?t=1m52s

It was a bit faster than that in the recording and I felt like I wasn't playing at all, my body felt light and my hands had no tension, I wasn't thinking about anything else, somehow the sound was coming through me and I there was a complete match between my inner hearing of the piece and what came out of the piano! It was amazing! I've never experienced anything like this before. Someone walked in on me and I didn't even hesitate, I kept going and only when I finished the piece I turned and said Hi, to them grinning as if I just won the lottery or something, I was that happy smile

I felt completely disconnected from my reality, and there was only the music even after I stopped playing it, I needed 2-3 minutes just to come back to my normal state. This is better than anything I've felt before. It was like being intoxicated but not from drinking but from the music!

That's magical Teodor! I had similar noodling about last year- that elated feeling...the connection between one's self, the music and piano is what it's about! Wish I could play Debussy- I love his music.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You can start with some of the easier pieces from him. The elephant from the children's corner is approachable (Jimbo's lullaby). This one is also but technique acquisition for it if you are as inexperienced as me, takes months. It took me a long long time and it will take longer till that technique becomes a natural part of my ability.

I'm looking forward to more such moments in the future. It was a great feeling. Makes all the effort you put into it worth it.

Last edited by Teodor; 04/26/13 04:36 PM.

[Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
... this morning and went into some sort of complete focus...

I felt completely disconnected from my reality... I needed 2-3 minutes just to come back to my normal state... It was like being intoxicated but not from drinking but from the music!

May I ask what you had for breakfast? smile

Seriously...congratulations...That's the way it should be.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You can start with some of the easier pieces from him. The elephant from the children's corner is approachable (Jimbo's lullaby). This one is also but technique acquisition for it if you are as inexperienced as me, takes months. It took me a long long time and it will take longer till that technique becomes a natural part of my ability.

I'm looking forward to more such moments in the future. It was a great feeling. Makes all the effort you put into it worth it.

I have an "easy" version of Claire de Lune from 8 notes. Too hard for me yet, but maybe in a few months' time I can try it. I haven't heard of Jimbo- will check it out on you tube.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rnaple
... this morning and went into some sort of complete focus...

I felt completely disconnected from my reality... I needed 2-3 minutes just to come back to my normal state... It was like being intoxicated but not from drinking but from the music!

May I ask what you had for breakfast? smile

Seriously...congratulations...That's the way it should be.

Strangely I had nothing at all before I played. I woke up, did light stretching for 3-4 minutes to wake me up, did some push ups and used my school bag for biceps curls (it's not heavy, but it's good workout for me since I am not extremely strong either) and did some other lighter exercises. Maybe 15 minutes of exercise. It cleared my mind completely and when I sat at the piano 30 minutes later I felt really good.

Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano

I have an "easy" version of Claire de Lune from 8 notes. Too hard for me yet, but maybe in a few months' time I can try it. I haven't heard of Jimbo- will check it out on you tube.

Then it's not yet a good idea. It's not a good idea for me either by the sound of it. The easiness of the sheet music has nothing to do with whether or not you can play the particular music good. Jumbo's Lullaby presents other difficulties in touch and dynamics control, also pedaling.

Last edited by Teodor; 04/27/13 01:34 AM.

[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by casinitaly

What are you pleased with this week?

I had a win this week, I started to practice a piece that required a lot of stretching for broken chords. I enjoyed the work out so much I used it as just practice for both hands and within a few days my fingers were feeling like they belonged at the piano. I didn't go on to finish the original piece but it gave me the right technique to go back to a more difficult piece I had to shelve six weeks ago.
Last week was a bit miserable - this week is just great

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
There is a good school of thought that, how ever many times you get it wrong, the last time has to be right otherwise all your brain remembers is how to do it wrong and you start over the next day. I think we all know it isn't that simple.

I appreciate that opinion Andy for those students for which this works, it simply doesn't work for me. If I start to become frustrated it only goes downhill if I persist in trying to get it right "the last time". I must quit striving and go back to it later in the day. I don't feel this makes me start all over the next time. But of course we all learn differently and what works for one's self is what's important.

A broad brush statement of approach to practice methods or anything for that matter is misleading to people for whom it doesn't result in improvement. I was only recounting for aTallGuy what had worked for me; I didn't say it was the way to practice for the masses. To be sure, I would have flunked out of that school of thought . grin

Of course I'm not implying you hold to that school either, I can't tell. I do hope I haven't misunderstood your post.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ragdoll - you might try this the next time you are trying to get clean repetitions on a chunk and they just aren't coming to you.

Break your chunk into much smaller subchunks, even if it is just a single measure or less. Then try to get your five clean reps on just the first subchunk. When you get it, stop.

Now you have finished with something positive and correct for your brain to process,just as Andy suggested. Later you can come back to proceed with the next bits.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
S
I had my 1940 Mason & Hamlin Model B tuned yesterday. Another technician tuned the piano a few months ago when I got it, though it never sounded quite right. The gentleman who just tuned it said several notes were badly out of tune. What a difference! Practice has become much more enjoyable.

E
E
Songwire - glad you got a better technician to look at your baby. My Johann is getting tuned for the first time in about 2 weeks. I'm hoping I get a good tech.

Earlofmar - the workout is paying off! Kinda like hitting the gym and thinking you're not losing weight but a month later, you already shed 5 lbs. you must be doing a very good job with practicing your technique. Now when are we gonna hear that piece you shelved 6 weeks ago?

As for my atow...major improvement on measures 17&18 (especially that triplet) on Chopin's Prelude in Em. I've been practicing it over and over with little to no improvement on this particular section. Was getting so frustrated. But today, i think it finally clicked. I'm more than overjoyed.

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Week 59: A better week. I ditched some pieces, and picked up My Favorite Things from The Sound of Music. I am using a lead sheet and it is significantly easier than the pieces I ditched. I am trying different things with the lead sheet, such as playing one note harmony, or one note arpeggiated harmony. Of the old list I kept Canon in D, the others I may return to after I learn more, but are too much for me at the moment.

So a better week for me after last week's carp, but not as good as Teodor's floating experience.

Cheers.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
AOTW's:

1) I actually played through my current Burgmüller piece sort of decently at my lesson on Friday. I'd been doing that at home for at least a week, but for some reason, I was unable to do it with my teacher listening. Now, it seems I've jumped that hurdle. It still wasn't as good as I usually play it at home (many dynamics were missing, and the rhythm was a little uneven in places), but at least I played it without any wrong notes and without stopping to let the shaking in my hands calm down. Minor, but still, worthy of AOTW status, I think.

2) I had my piano tuned yesterday, which is already having a noticeably positive effect on my practice routine (because playing on a well-tuned piano, as many of you know, is *so* much more enjoyable than playing on a badly-tuned one!). I'm hoping faster progress than I'd been making in the past few months will follow from this.

3) I told my teacher that I wanted to drop the second movement of the Moonlight Sonata for now, but it won't let go of me. So I'm still practicing it, and now that I don't *have* to do it anymore, I seem to actually be making some progress again. I think I'll be bringing it back to my lesson either this week or next. Because giving up is for sissies.

4) I made a new recording for the upcoming Recital, after I had my piano tuned yesterday. It has one really audible flub in it, but I think I'm just going to decide I'm satisfied with that as-is. It was already not that easy for me to play the piece again just once. I don't know that I can do that once more and get a significantly better result.

Also: ugh. This is day nine after my last post on this thread. It seems I've been neglecting you all. Sorry! But anyway, here goes ...

Originally Posted by CarlosCC
I'm not a competitive guy by nature, but I decide to enter in the contest, even knowing that my chances are low.

I think it is fabulous, Carlos, that you did not think high of your own chances, but you decided to enter the contest anyway. I believe that many of us often miss great opportunities in life not because we are not qualified to take advantage of them, but because we don't *believe* we can do it. So in my book, what you did was great! Good luck with the contest.

I also love that she is so easy to play for. Some people are so distracting. But not her. She knows.

Seems like you've really hit the jackpot with this teacher of yours! So that can count as your AOTW for the second time in a row, as far as I'm concerned. A good teacher with whom things 'click' is so tremendously important!

Originally Posted by Toastie
I now have two new pieces, as I think the book I'm working from is getting a bit easy now.

It's great to make noticeable progress like that, isn't it? Congratulations on 'conquering' your present method book! laugh

Originally Posted by earlofmar
Meant I started piano on a wet cool (for these parts) Saturday morning and played for the remainder of the day.

I've had 'binge days' like this. I mostly spent them goofing around (read: trying to improvise and, to my own ears, failing badly at it) and playing pieces I'd already mastered. I think it's fabulous that you managed to actually *learn* stuff in-between laugh.

Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
Week 58: It feels like a one step back, kind of week. [...]Week 59: A better week. I ditched some pieces, and picked up My Favorite Things from The Sound of Music.

One step back, two steps forward. Good for you!

Originally Posted by WiseBuff
The Mendelssohn is submitted and that's a big achievement.

Indeed it is! I haven't heard your submission yet, but will go look for it shortly. I'm sure it's ten times better than you think.

Originally Posted by ElleC
I may have been successful at convincing the husband on letting me keep my digital piano.

For someone living in a condo, that is indeed a sizeable achievement, which will enable many more achievements in the future. After all, it at least doubles the 'range' you have within which to practice every day. I sold my DP before I moved here. It's not a problem yet, because so far I'm the only person living in my building. But that won't be true forever, and I now kind of wish I'd kept the DP. It was a good one. But oh, well. I guess I'll have to buy a new DP when other tenants move here.

Originally Posted by FarmGirl
This spring has been incredibly busy for work and music. I have three hours of choir practice every week and two concert in addition to Sunday service. Then my studio class.

Wow. You are one busy lady, FarmGirl! And I'll just bet you've been doing brilliantly in all of the above, even if you yourself don't think so (because that's the nature of perfectionists, of which, yes, I am one). So, thumbs up for you! Definitely!

Originally Posted by torquenale
Saranoya: a few days ago you had no AOTW - now you are organizing a piano party in Europe: this is a very big achievement!

It will be once it's over! Assuming, of course, that it is as much of a success as I hope it will be. So hold your horses. No need to congratulate me yet. wink.

Originally Posted by casinitaly
I find I’m getting better at just relaxing and playing for my teacher, which means less flubbing. This is a major big deal.

Oh yeah, it is! Go celebrate!

This tells me my ear is improving and to not always second guess it.

Which is a major achievement indeed. You'll be transcribing your own YouTube videos before you know it! wink

Originally Posted by keystring
I learned to put some "give" in the wrists for chords some time ago, and thought by "uncurling" the fingers I'd solved a habit there too. But apparently I'd simply substituted curled unmoving fingers for straightish unmoving fingers.

I think it is indeed very important that you've realised this. The biggest achievements, I think, are those that are not specific to one particular piece of music, but are useful across the board, whatever we want to play. And this is definitely one of those. So be ecstatic!

I love reading all your AOTW's here, I have to resist putting one in every second day when something good happens.

If you are discerning and optimistic enough that you can find an AOTW in your piano playing progress every two days, then I admire your attitude. I really do! I wish I could have some of that.

Originally Posted by JimF
f I just let my hand weight fall into the three notes they fell right into line at full speed. Bada bing. [insert headslap icon here] Sometimes this stuff is so much easier than I make it.

Sounds like a real 'Eureka' moment, which must have felt wonderful. Congratulations!

Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Maybe my AOTW is not stressing too much over the whole thing while maintaining a study schedule. LOL. It's reaching, I know.

I don't think that's reaching. I think that's looking at the bright side, which, as I said above in response to earlofmar, is something I really admire and wish I had more of, myself. I guess I'll need to work on that. Meanwhile, congratulations on not letting the exam anxiety paralyse you into not practicing the way you should. Because I know, there *is* a real risk of that happening!

Originally Posted by SwissMS
Well my AOTW was making a Youtube video of the Chopin Nocturne in F Minor and sending it my teacher for evaluation. As a result, we had a very productive lesson pinpointing where improvement was needed. She gave me an honest critique and I learned a lot. It was very energizing to get this kind of feedback to focus my efforts.

I think it's fabulous that your teacher would be willing to do this -- critique a video of you, even though it doesn't seem to have been your scheduled lesson time. If I ever can't have lessons with my current teacher anymore, I think I might just move to Switzerland and sign up with yours!

Just kidding, of course. But I do find myself smiling a lot whenever you write about your teacher. She seems absolutely wonderful! And I'm happy for you that you learned so much from this.

Well...I bought it. These keys are definitely high quality. No entry level stuff here. Much higher quality mechanics of the movement of the keys. All kinds of adjustments on velocity, sensitivity, aftertouch and all. It does have weighted keys. So I'm happy as can be with my new keyboard.

Well ... a fabulous teacher *and* a better keyboard. Seems to me you have all your ducks pretty much lined up in a very neat row, now! I'll be looking forward to your future progress reports and, of course, shared music! wink

Originally Posted by dynamobt
My grand AOTW is my first recording on PW!!!!

Which is indeed a grand AOTW, especially considering the quality of what you ended up posting. Way to go!

I have found the practice suggestions of a few here ( I think it's referred to as "chunking" with limited repeats) very helpful lately in that the new piece I received at my lesson Tuesday I already have under my fingers and have started to polish it.

I am super happy for you that this seems to be working! I don't think it does, for me, but then again, maybe it's because I don't stick with the 'chunking' long enough before I insist on wanting to play through the entire piece over and over again. One of these days, one of you is going to have to tell me where you get the discipline to actually practice this way long-term wink.

That sounds heavenly. Have you been able to replicate it since? If so, I'd be interested in knowing how you do it, because it definitely seems like a feeling I might want to chase, too! laugh

I didn't go on to finish the original piece but it gave me the right technique to go back to a more difficult piece I had to shelve six weeks ago.

It's great that you now feel confident enough to return to your more difficult piece. Giving up is for sissies, anyway! wink

Originally Posted by songwire
I had my 1940 Mason & Hamlin Model B tuned yesterday.

Ah ... to be able to play a freshly-tuned piano. Heavenly, isn't it? I had mine tuned yesterday, and since then, I've just *had* to play every time I passed it. I sense this is going to do great things for the amount of practice you get in in the near future, which is virtually guaranteed to get you a great crop of AOTW's by this time next week wink.

Originally Posted by ElleC
Was getting so frustrated. But today, i think it finally clicked. I'm more than overjoyed.

As well you should be! Congratulations on having the discipline to stick to those two measures until they finally clicked, even through your frustration!

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Saranoya

That sounds heavenly. Have you been able to replicate it since? If so, I'd be interested in knowing how you do it, because it definitely seems like a feeling I might want to chase, too! laugh

Yes with Gnossiene 1 and 2 by Erik Satie. I had one moment like this when I was at home. It was dark outside. I sat and played and forgot myself. Gnossiene no.2 I played in a recital at the conservatory and I was not myself, I was one with the piece and it just came out of me naturally into the piano keyboard. When I finished I was slightly dazed and needed time to return to reality. Strangely enough I played Gnossiene 1 before that in the same recital but I could put no expression into it even though I practiced it much much more and played it in another 2 concerts months ago one in front of the mayor of some village. He looked like a very mean person at first but later after the concert came to shake my hand and tell me how much he enjoyed my playing smile

[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I performed (the Chopin Nocturne Eb) at a retirement home today - it was very well attended. A little shaky (mostly in my leg this time) but I perfomed it pretty well.

I've been trying to do something suggested in "The Musician's Way" and "hear" in my head the phrases coming up as I'm playing. Once you've got a piece well memorized that's not as hard as it sounds and I think it's helping with phrasing.

The piano was a teeny bit clunky and out of tune in spots but the action was nice and simple for the trills and ornamentation that went well.

Kawai K3
Page 220 of 540 1 2 218 219 220 221 222 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission