2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
nyke Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Can you relate to any of these "Lies" ? If you are trying to grow your private music studio n my latest blog post I discuss some pitfalls to avoid-
http://musicacademyadvantage.com/lies-music-teachers-believe/

Lies Music Teachers Believe

Building a music lesson business can be very challenging. When students continuously quit and you constantly need to enforce your studio policy you may find that building your studio is next to impossible. The first thing you have to do is rid yourself of negative thoughts and here are some constant hang ups that keep us from moving forward to building a successful studio.

1. I just need to be good at what I do and my business will be successful

Being the best studio is not good enough. I have seen numerous music teachers who are really great at teaching and are also superb musicians and still are unable to attract enough students and clientele to rely on music lessons as a full-time steady income. If you focus on learning real business strategies, implementing marketing systems and goals in your business structure you will become the success you have always dreamed of!

2. Music teaching can only be a hobby business or a labor of love

The amount of money that is available to you if you apply the right structure and technique towards building your studio as a business is right in front of your eyes and many music teachers don’t even realize it. Researchers have already done the work for us and the word is out about the benefit of enrolling in music lessons and how imperative it is if you want your child to have the slightest chance at being competitive in life! Once you put your business techniques into motion potential customers will be knocking down your door to ask you to teach their child all of the knowledge you have within you!

3. It’s a business, it’s supposed to be hard work and long hours, it’ll get better

Working extended hours and double shifts is the number one way to achieve burnout as an entrepreneur. Instead you want to be able to stay fresh and positive towards your music lesson business so that you can be focused and provide a quality learning environment. Divide the income you need by the number of hours you have to work and average the result with the standard rate in your area. When I first began teaching my rate was very low, when I needed to decrease the number of students I was teaching I raised my hourly rate and therefore was still able to make the same amount of money I was making prior to downsizing.

4. We just need to get our name out there

Getting your name out there is great however you want to focus on branding your business. What makes you different from the teacher next door or down the street? What can you offer or guarantee? Some of the ways I have branded my studio have been through mentioning in my advertisements the family atmosphere and how we care about all of the students. In addition to that we mention our flexibility in time slots, affordability of lessons, and most of all mentioning the convenience of our location. Think of branding as letting your customers know what you do well and what your company is known for. When the clients come in for a consultation I inform them of the major benefits of studying in my studio. For instance, we specialize in helping students to progress at a faster rate, and our students participate in state level grading programs as well as receive trophies for their hard work. Clients already believe that you can do the job (that’s why you are in business) so no need to teach them during a trial lesson – instead spend time informing them of why your studio is the best above all the others.

5. If only I could get more clients in the door my business would be successful

More clients just any kind of way is a fast tracked path towards stress and failure as well. Focusing on attracting the right kind of students will ensure that you have success. If you only want to teach beginners and that’s what you are best at don’t market and advertise for all levels when that’s not what you specialize in-it will only leave you frustrated. I recently encountered the same experience when I was working with a lot of in-home clients and I wanted to transition to only offering lessons at my studio I found that in the middle of the transition I was losing more students than gaining students at my set location. Although, I was tempted to going back to offering in home lessons in the mean time to carry me over, I didn’t because I knew I would’ve lost focus. Instead I focused on getting more students to come to my set location and by doing so I was able to fill that void.

6. I have to lower my prices to beat out my competition

Why do we always feel as the service provider cheaper rate equal more clients?? When if were the recipient of the service our first question would be…what’s wrong with this product? As the owner of your business realize that lowering rates will not help you to build a quality clientele. Charge rates based on the average rate in your area. For instance if the average rate in your area is $25 per 30 minute lesson, charge $23 or $26 however charging extremely below the rate such as $16 will only make it that much more challenging for you to attract quality clients who respect what you have to offer. If you are a well trained music instructor and are able to provide a professional service for your business then there’s no reason why you can’t charge the standard rate. My experience with charging a lower rate is that you will attract clients that don’t appreciate what you have to offer.

7. I could do this on my own

Although it may seem very easy, running a music school is a challenging profession. It takes organizational skills, communication skills and just like any other business it takes money and time to grow into being a substantial business. Sometimes seeing an instructor at an awesome recital as an end results can get you beaming and dreaming of ways to start your own studio full of talented musicians. If that’s what you desire to do then make sure you have full understanding of the work that happens behind the scenes too!

8. This is the way it’s always been done, so I will continue this way!

Adopting new techniques and new methods will always keep you ahead of your competition. So take time and attend workshops and music events in your area at least once a year to stay abreast of new methods. Also subscribe to blogs such as this (www.musicacademyadvantage.com) and other magazines that will help you stay up to date with new techniques.

If you have identified at least one of these “Lies” within yourself its okay because we all have been there. It’s wonderful that you are educating yourself so that you can develop quality skills of being a successful entrepreneur and apply that to running the business of your dreams.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I see a problem with #2 in that there are too many piano teachers out there who ARE teaching as a hobby and not as a business. They don't charge as much since they're not teaching to earn a living (and most likely have a spouse who is the breadwinner, with health insurance and benefits).

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
N
nyke Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Well that's up to the individual, some teachers choose to focus on having a small quality bunch of students while others chose to have a large variety of students. However for the ones that want to be able to subsidies there income they need to stop thinking of the business as a hobby.

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
"how imperative it is if you want your child to have the slightest chance at being competitive in life!"

Hyperbole much?

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by nyke
If you focus on learning real business strategies, implementing marketing systems and goals in your business structure you will become the success you have always dreamed of!

Ha. Right. whistle

My experience with charging a lower rate is that you will attract clients that don’t appreciate what you have to offer.

Funny. When I charged 1/3 of what I'm charging now, I got lots of great students who practiced, worked hard, and won a bunch of competitions. Now I'm teaching a bunch of rich kids who never practice, don't know the definition of work, and will fall on their faces if they entered competitions.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

Funny. When I charged 1/3 of what I'm charging now, I got lots of great students who practiced, worked hard, and won a bunch of competitions. Now I'm teaching a bunch of rich kids who never practice, don't know the definition of work, and will fall on their faces if they entered competitions.

You mean charging more doesn't necessarily mean better students? Money isn't everything? laugh

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gary D.

You mean charging more doesn't necessarily mean better students? Money isn't everything? laugh

Well, by charging more, at least I can afford to kick out unwanted students. I'm on the brink of doing just that.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G

Well, by charging more, at least I can afford to kick out unwanted students. I'm on the brink of doing just that.

I think it's all about getting the pricing right, no easy matter.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
It's too dramatic to call these "lies". Aren't you just saying that you need a marketing plan to succeed at piano teaching, and that you have to price your lessons carefully?

S
S
This reads like an advertisement.

Not interested.

N
nyke Offline OP
OP Offline
N
An advertisement of what? It's just an article, I enjoy writing articles on my blog to reach out to music teachers and share my experience as well as other teacher's experience in the music lesson business.

N
nyke Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Basically that is my point however I decided to call it Lies because a lot of times those points are things we sometimes start to tell ourselves over the years of doing lessons to excuse why we cannot grow our studios. Just like a lie, is basically an excuse as to why someone doesn't want to realize the truth.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
An advertisement of what? It's just an article, I enjoy writing articles on my blog to reach out to music teachers and share my experience as well as other teacher's experience in the music lesson business.

Exactly that. It is an advertisement for your blog, your twitter feed and your facebook.

Learner
N
nyke Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I appreciate you taking the time to read my article and commenting. As always I post the articles on all discussion forums to provoke thought or conversation to build awareness and also seek others opinions on topics. These articles are not just for people to come to MY blog (which by the way doesn't benefit me a
in any way other than it does by posting a question or a comment here on the discussion forum). & by the way what is wrong with getting people to come to MY blog if the article benefits them? ?
Many of the readers have found it to be beneficial... Because they have chosen to subscribe.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm interested in what the teachers in this forum think. Are you subject to the misperceptions that have been listed? Do you ascribe to the same solutions (insofar as there are concrete solutions)?

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by malkin

Exactly that. It is an advertisement for your blog, your twitter feed and your facebook.

It certainly seems that way to me...

N
nyke Offline OP
OP Offline
N

Ok if you also don't find the articles beneficial no one is making you read them.
However it must've moved you in order for you to leave a comment.

N
nyke Offline OP
OP Offline
N
@keystring
Exactly I feel the same way its just an article of suggestions if it benefits someone then great if not so what
lol I also copied this blog post from my blog site so I forgot the last paragraph asked people to subscribe.... I would have removed that- had I known it would stir up so much drama.....o well life goes on. whome

Nyke, I started to respond to your post where you were telling me you are a teacher who.... but you've edited it since then, so I'm scrapping that part. smile

I asked how the other teachers here relate both to the proposed misperceptions, and the solutions, because forums are for dialogues. With so many teachers, there will also be different ideas.

In regards to the other issue: In this modern age, one way of getting one's business known is to do what you did. That is: create a blog, write articles that will bring searches by people interested in the business to that blog, and also letting discussion groups know about the blog via those articles. After all, you are writing about the business end of things, and you are also practising it by doing this. If the blogs are also informative, they might also have benefit for some people. But that purpose is still there.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G

Ok if you also don't find the articles beneficial no one is making you read them.
However it must've moved you in order for you to leave a comment.

No. It annoyed me. You copied everything from your blog, so I wasted my time going there just to find out the same text is there.

If you want to suggest that I read your articles, I can decide to do so. I come here to talk to other teachers, to share ideas, so when you copy your ideas from your site I figure you are talking down to us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission