Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2187538 - 11/23/13 08:53 PM Any advice for a newcomer?
Weinz Offline

Loc: UK, Manchester
Hi all,

I'm new to both piano and this forum. I've been playing piano for just over a week now but have been playing guitar for a good 4 years or so.

Currently I've just been practicing my major scales, chords, I brushed up on my music theory and have learnt Moonlight Sonata.
Can anyone offer some sound on advice on how I can advance from here? (techniques to warm up, other good beginner pieces etc)

Thanks,
Weinz.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2187548 - 11/23/13 09:32 PM Re: Any advice for a newcomer? [Re: Weinz]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Welcome to the forum Weinz this is a great resource for information both current and past. The search panel up on the top left can take you to postings on just about any subject you might wish to research.

Your question on advancement is one that crops up almost weekly here and there are some standard answers but first you need to set some goals and chose a path...eg classical or electronic. No matter what you do in life you want to give it your best shot and do it properly. To this end a teacher is the best investment you can make (I believe around 25 pounds per hour is an average in the UK). Many people have pre-conceptions about getting a teacher and I was no different, (they will force me to take exams, be in recitals, be really strict etc etc). However you have to leave those all behind as there is an ideal teacher for everyone, just a matter of finding them. Learning the piano is a highly complex endeavour, even just learning scales properly should be supervised, so it makes sense if you can afford a teacher.

The alternative is self teaching which no matter what you chose you will always feel you are not making average progress or progress in a linear fashion or worse again you will be concerned you are making poor progress and doing it wrong (picking up bad habits).

For those self teaching a method book is an excellent choice and I and many others here started with the Alfred Adult All In One Piano Course. There are three books and each one of the books has a thread in this forum worth taking a look at.

Edited by earlofmar (11/23/13 09:41 PM)

#2187550 - 11/23/13 09:35 PM Re: Any advice for a newcomer? [Re: Weinz]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Three words.

Click to reveal..
Get a teacher. grin

Polyphonist

#2187664 - 11/24/13 09:46 AM Re: Any advice for a newcomer? [Re: Weinz]
Silver Keys Offline

Loc: Western N.Y.
Yes, definitely get a teacher. A good teacher will tailor your instruction to your individual progress and goals. A good teacher will correct mistakes you are making (whether you realize it or not). A good teacher will make you a better player sooner.

Clay
Yamaha P155

#2187718 - 11/24/13 12:59 PM Re: Any advice for a newcomer? [Re: Weinz]
Weinz Offline

Loc: UK, Manchester
Thanks for the replies,

I have been looking into getting a teacher as I was aware I may pick up bad habits - a problem that I especially had with guitar. Lesson pricing is an issue for me as I'm not in full time employment (currently studying at University), I did however come across £15 per hour at one of the nearby Universities.

This pricing seems low, is it worth taking a bargain like this or should I spare the extra £10 and hour and go for the typical rates?

#2187773 - 11/24/13 03:16 PM Re: Any advice for a newcomer? [Re: Weinz]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Weinz
Thanks for the replies,

I have been looking into getting a teacher as I was aware I may pick up bad habits - a problem that I especially had with guitar. Lesson pricing is an issue for me as I'm not in full time employment (currently studying at University), I did however come across £15 per hour at one of the nearby Universities.

This pricing seems low, is it worth taking a bargain like this or should I spare the extra £10 and hour and go for the typical rates?

As in everything, you get what you pay for.

Someone charging very little is likely some blok who knows a little about piano and just looking to make a few bucks telling you what he/she knows. Probably not much different than a video lesson in value. Lessons are not worth anything unless they are taught by those that have been playing for many years and have acquired a high level of skill and can pass that on to you. I would decline.

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#2187826 - 11/24/13 05:12 PM Re: Any advice for a newcomer? [Re: Weinz]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I would agree with dmd that you get what you pay for but there are other things to consider. As an example my brother in Glasgow was having 1 hour lessons in a music store for 9 pound an hour (it was small group lessons and electronic keyboard based rather than piano). This is what suited him. expensive lessons would have been wasted and probably would have put him off. My own teacher is pretty cheap and I don't think she may be the best but we really get along and that is important.

Finding the right teacher is difficult and requires research before jumping in. It may also involve interviews or trial lessons with teachers where you can discuss your goals and needs. A teacher you like may actually reject you as not being someone they want to teach - I had this experience and was quite taken aback.

You can also have half hour lessons once a week or once a fortnight if money is tight and still benefit.

#2187949 - 11/25/13 08:20 AM Re: Any advice for a newcomer? [Re: Weinz]
angelsong Offline

Loc: NW England
Hi Weinz and welcome. I'm new to piano and have just started having lessons at a local 'Music Centre' in Lancaster - I pay £15/half hour and as I've never had music lessons before am unable make comparisons. However, I feel very comfortable with my teacher - feel that, for me, she has just the right touch - it feels relaxed as well as disciplined. I have no interest in exams, though she prepares her other students for exams. I think we are the best judges, ultimately, and it may be a case of trial and error. The teacher from the university may be excellent for you - it's worth a try. Best wishes.

#2188236 - 11/25/13 06:48 PM Re: Any advice for a newcomer? [Re: Weinz]
Bamburg Offline

I don't think you can judge solely based on price. My first teacher cost around $35/hour and didn't really teach me anything. He just sort of wrote note letters and finger numbers all over sheet music that was too difficult for me to play and that was it. My current teacher isn't much more expensive at $47/hour and she's an amazing teacher.

If I were you I wouldn't write cheap lessons off just because they're cheap. I have to wonder if the lessons you found at the university nearby are cheap because it's a group class or something though.

There's a lot of interesting reading in the teacher's forum here that can help clue you in on wether or not you're getting lessons from a good teacher, and that was a lot of help for me since I'm a complete beginner as well.

#2188241 - 11/25/13 06:54 PM Re: Any advice for a newcomer? [Re: Weinz]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Weinz, welcome to the forum! my advice is if you really want to progress and learn the proper way...hire a teacher. I initially wanted to self-learn but decided to go ahead and take lessons first. So glad I did! It's been a good investment and a great experience so far =)

#2188470 - 11/26/13 06:38 AM Re: Any advice for a newcomer? [Re: Weinz]
Wouter D'hoye Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hi,

+1 on getting a teacher here too. it's also a good motivation to practice. you usually don't want to come back to a teacher without making any progress. At least that's the case with me. I'm very fortunate though that in Belgium very affordable music academies exist. Essentily this system makes learning music accessible to everybody. Though it is quite a time commitment: 2.5hrs (spread over two days) of music theory (group class solfège and (mandatory) singing) and 1hr (3 students) with a piano teacher.

For me it's working out really well. Does something like a music academy exist in the UK?

Wouter.

#2188625 - 11/26/13 12:15 PM Re: Any advice for a newcomer? [Re: Weinz]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
If you cannot find a teacher for one-on-one lessons (the best option), you might find group lessons through a piano store or a "continuing education" program, if something like that is available in your area. Alternately, I have seen posts here in the PW forums from teachers who offer low-cost lesson packages through Skype. The "Search" function is awful, but you could google "skype lessons site:pianoworld.com/forum" or something like that and get results only from PW.

Hope this is helpful. smile

#2188848 - 11/26/13 06:22 PM Re: Any advice for a newcomer? [Re: Weinz]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes. Teacher and lessons. If I could go back, I would do it this way and not the route i took; my way.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
108 registered (AndresD, anotherscott, 36251, Al LaPorte, aesop, 33 invisible), 1444 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156278 Topics
2295109 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
07/30/14 03:53 AM
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
07/30/14 02:35 AM
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
07/30/14 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
07/30/14 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
07/30/14 12:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission