Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2187613 - 11/24/13 06:10 AM Best web hosting/building tools
Classical Piano Offline

My wife is about to start teaching again (out of the home) after a long hiatus. Back in Taiwan, she was in demand, but she never had to advertise. Today, advertising seems to be a necessity. We're building a web site through simplesite.com (it's not finished yet), but simplesite's fees seem to be high ($24.95 for 3 months) once the free trial period has ended.

I read the recent thread about "how to advertise for studio", but what do you all use to build a website? Do you use Simplesite? If not, which one of the numerous web hosting services do you use? Which is the best? (If it's against the rules to say here, feel free to send me a private message.) The information I've read on them is confusing. Also, to start, would you recommend going with Wordpress, writing my own HTML (sounds hard - not really?), or something else? (I think it would be a good idea to start blogging as time goes by.) Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2187622 - 11/24/13 07:29 AM Re: Best web hosting/building tools [Re: Classical Piano]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
If you check out my website, www.valeoconservatory.com, it was done it Wordpress from one of their many templates. You can customize it from there. It takes a lot of looking around to do it on your own. Also, don't forget there are probably tutorials and answers to your questions if you google them as you encounter stumbling blocks.

I highly recommend doing something like Worpress and not html. There are people who get paid lots of money who know html and other programming languages much better than someone whose never done it. For a simple information site, Wordpress is probably the easiest route. You can add a blog to the WP site as an option.

My husband is a web developer, and so he designed it for me and since we have servers for his clients I can host for free. We charge our clients usually $10 or $20/month for hosting on non-e-commerce sites (no shopping cart), so $25 for 3 months seems reasonable, but it depends on what you get for that. I bet if you Googled you could find a comparison for different hosting companies and what you get for your money.

Don't forget you will have to buy your domain name too and renew that every year. You can go through Godaddy.com and pay roughly $12/year for the domain, and I highly recommend you have it automatically renew every year. If you forget to renew it, there are companies that will snatch up the domain from under you and you have to pay them a lot more money to get it back. Or, some hosting companies will handle this for you, for a fee.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2188149 - 11/25/13 03:58 PM Re: Best web hosting/building tools [Re: Classical Piano]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
https://sites.google.com/

This is free. Period. Works like word document. If you know how to use Microsoft Word, you will know how to use google site.

Then go to http://www.1and1.com/ to buy a domain, it is only $10 per year.

Good Luck!!
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2188162 - 11/25/13 04:22 PM Re: Best web hosting/building tools [Re: ezpiano.org]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: ezpiano.org
https://sites.google.com/

This is free. Period. Works like word document. If you know how to use Microsoft Word, you will know how to use google site.

Then go to http://www.1and1.com/ to buy a domain, it is only $10 per year.

Good Luck!!

I've used the google sites before and it's pretty good. I often hear Wix.com recommended and I have a little bit of experience with that one. It is sort of free (you must display their ads) and you can pay to remove ads and get a better experience (including to connect a domain).

The website builder and price options are what make Wix attractive. If you are going to do all of the design on your own and you don't have a lot of technical expertise, you'll probably do okay with Wix. A link to pricing: http://www.wix.com/upgrade/website

With both Google sites and Wix you can try them out for free and see if it will work for you. Good luck!

Edited by Pathbreaker (11/25/13 04:22 PM)

#2190419 - 11/30/13 06:04 AM Re: Best web hosting/building tools [Re: Classical Piano]
Classical Piano Offline

Thanks, Moro, ezpiano, and Pathbreaker, for your input. I'm still digesting what you all have said. I don't plan to convert to a paid subscription for SimpleSite when my free trial period expires (in about 8 or so days). It's more expensive than any other option, although it is really easy to use, and I can actually get a free domain name (with Google Sites or Webs, with their extension), to practice on until I'm ready to buy a domain (which I'll probably do). I'm debating right now between Google Sites and Webs for "practice" purposes. I've read how Webs.com apparently decreased the functionality of their free service around 2012, so I'm leaning right now more toward Google. I've read how Google has a limited number of templates, but I've seen other reviews that said by doing an extra step (I can't remember what that this), you can get a lot more templates. There are other free services like this too, though.

If you use Wordpress, though, I think there is a way (have to check my old info) that you can get a free (with extension) website for practice purposes. I just want to have my website like I like it before I start paying for web hosting.

Or, do I really need paid web hosting? QUESTION: Does anyone have any experience with free web hosting?

Also, how much sense does it make to not have a website at all; to instead just post your info on Facebook (free), advertise on Craigslist (free), and put up flyers? I want people in my local area (preferably within a mile or so) to know about me, but I don't want to run into trouble with the HOA (we just bought this house, and the HOA has rules saying technically that piano teaching isn't allowed, but every HOA says that, and it seems to be a "don't ask don't tell" situation.)

Any other suggestions are always welcome - I try to check this thread every day. You can also send me a private message, if it's something you don't feel PianoWorld will allow.

Thanks for reading this long, rambling post.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
166 registered (ajames, 89grand, 36251, 50 invisible), 1410 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75963 Members
42 Forums
157090 Topics
2306968 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Could you please help my son choose a composition?
by christineka
11 minutes 50 seconds ago
New old Vose and Sons Upright Piano
by RT White
Today at 11:01 AM
Kawai ES100 vs Kawai MP7
by gbitw
Today at 08:28 AM
Better Practice, Hands Together or Separate etc.
by Sionos
Today at 08:04 AM
Timing of the trill Invention no 1
by DreamOfSleeping
Today at 03:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission