2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Louis Podesta
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I have listened to this Bach recording many times, and I still come away with the same impression. And, that impression has to do with my familiarity with the music of other composers.

My philosophy is that J.S. Bach should sound like J.S. Bach. His son J.C. Bach has a totally different sound, as did his brother Emmanuel.

So, Claude Debussy, as well as his contemporary Ravel, used to go nuts when pianists would try to "romanticize" their music. And, I am a pianist/philosopher whose entire life, at the piano, has been and is a spiritual experience.

This recording ain't it. It is someone, who is currently, or formerly attended The Glenn Gould School, trying to sound like Andras Schiff.

Paraphrasing what I said to Carey recently, it is very precise and beautiful playing, but it ain't J.S. Bach, in my opinion.

Parenthetically, I do not pedal Bach or Mozart because with the proper type of legato I do not find it to be necessary.
Would you like to explain to Angelina "what is Bach" in your opinion, WITHOUT posting any videos, or mentioning the name of none other but yourself?

You see your claims are as valid as your playing is right now: None existent! Where's YOUR personality, YOUR opinion and YOUR performance to speak for YOU?

Don't you realize that what you've just told Angelina is that she's not playing a work by a composer who's been dead for 270 years, as she should be. Like the score can transfer enough information about that precise feeling that Bach is. As if Bach had the same instruments and the same mindset that Angelina and any performer today has. It's as if the Internet doesn't exist, mobile phones don't exist, TV doesn't exist and we can go back to the pure mindset that Bach might've had when composing and performing his works.

Once again, her name is not Angelina, and I will post her true website link at the end of this discourse.
Hem... who cares? I know her name but in internet forums everyone goes by their nickname, rather than their full name. Some of us chose to have our real names on, others didn't. BIG deal!

Secondly, Phil and I have lived in the world of Donald Willing, who, not only encouraged his students to think "outside the box," in regards the music of the Baroque Period, he mandated it!
Oooohhhh goody! you know yet more people! How fascinating!

This is not Bach!
Apart from "says who" (because you're voicing someone else's words, rather than your own if you want to talk about it), the whole part about what is Bach went unanswered by you! Bravo!

Please read the tea leaves for yourselves. It goes against everything I said about Donald Wiling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9OrXSVFnXQ
Hmmm...

Oh well,

Enough polluting of this thread I think!

Angelina,

I really enjoyed your Bach. It has absolutely nothing that I did not enjoy. It was how I was taught Bach and how I enjoy listening to it. I didn't mind one bit the pedal and it's a choice that I also made in my own exams years ago. There's a very strict control of tone and the tempo remains rather rigid throughout.

AS you may know from these forums, I'm probably an advocate for freedom of thought on performances. The "This is not Bach" comment makes me angry exactly for that. Bach's been dead for so long...

Your Mozetich was right to the point *I Think*, but I have very limited knowledge of his works thus I'll limit my comments to the impression your performance made to me.

But I'd like to comment, if you want, to the choice of work. And this is as personal as it can get. I found the Mozetich prelude a bit... uninspiring. I don't know if it's a well known one, or something else, but I felt that you were given limited chances to do something much more interesting... :-/

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
AS you may know from these forums, I'm probably an advocate for freedom of thought on performances. The "This is not Bach" comment makes me angry exactly for that. Bach's been dead for so long...

I'm similarly minded, and since I've always wondered this, now might be the best time to ask -- what will you do in 200 years when someone says, "This is not Nikolas!"

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
My only complaint about the Bach P&F would not be about Pogo's wonderful interpretation but about the piano itself.

It is probably not tuned in "Well Temperament".
Therefore, not producing a choral like sound Bach would have probably thought of.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wow. Pogo, all I can say is wow! They are both wonderful.

While one post above criticizes because "it ain't it", I say nonsense. Some people read music with their eyes. Others read music with their hearts. What I hear seems to come from your heart. If we simply "type it out", we would only need one recording.

BRAVO!

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Derulux

I'm similarly minded, and since I've always wondered this, now might be the best time to ask -- what will you do in 200 years when someone says, "This is not Nikolas!"
I'll probably teleport to his place and tell him: "Louis! This IS Nikolas. Get off my lawn"... or something along those lines... grin

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Absolutely gorgeous, Pogo. Both performances were a delight to listen to. Very inspiring!

Carl

Thanks for posting this Pogo. Ignore the buzz kill LP. Your performance was excellent and you also introduced me to the music of Mozetich.

Bad spellers of the world untie!
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Very nice, Pogorelich. Well thought out, played with feeling and pudeur as they say in French, hard to translate, modesty perhaps. Thanks!

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
I listened to this last Thursday for the first time at work, and quite a few times since.

If the purpose of performance is to touch someone and transport them to a different, dare I say 'spiritual' place, then you've succeeded. That day it was an oasis in a difficult day filled with difficult people.

The music is so beautiful, and I've shared your recording with many at this point.

thank you for sharing this.

Forrest

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
As usual Pogo, like everyone else has already said, your performance is astounding. I love how you bring out the voices in the Bach - the way I'd like to play it if I had the ability. I haven't listened to the other one yet, but I will do someday soon.

The real question here is when are we gonna get the Beethoven 111??

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thank you all.

beethoven 111, hmmm... That may be for my teacher's ears only, for a long long time...

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
S
S
I thought these were well played but I don't care for the piano tone. Everything feels washy, like looking at a painting through a glass of water. Obviously you have developed a great sense of dynamic control and it is very impressive (particularly the mozetich). On the other hand, I did not respond as many of the other posters have to the effect that I am not awe-inspired. It is still good. Just didn't move me to that extent.

Also I think it is okay for people to offer their criticisms even of they seem silly. I'm sure mr podesta is willing to elaborate on his criticism (he has to some extent). Just because the majority likes something doesn't mean the one person who is critical deserves to be attacked. This is part of the reason so many subjective evaluations of certain artists and performers become ingrained as some kind of "fact" of art. Everyone should feel encouraged to offer their true, heartfelt opinion without fear of being attacked for going against the norm.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Very beautiful, intelligent and inspiring playing!
I enjoyed both very much.

Is there somewhere we can enjoy more of your playing in a better-quality format than youtube video?

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I agree. Which is why I said I was okay with the comments. Art is very subjective, and I'll say it again - my aim is not to please everyone.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
S
S
Right the last half of my post was addressed actually to the responders who have basically been attacking LP for offering his opinion. You did not go on the offensive and addressed his criticisms, which I find admirable.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by stalefleas
I thought these were well played but I don't care for the piano tone. Everything feels washy, like looking at a painting through a glass of water. On the other hand, I did not respond as many of the other posters have to the effect that I am not awe-inspired. It is still good. Just didn't move me to that extent.

I'm sure mr podesta is willing to elaborate on his criticism (he has to some extent). Just because the majority likes something doesn't mean the one person who is critical deserves to be attacked. This is part of the reason so many subjective evaluations of certain artists and performers become ingrained as some kind of "fact" of art. Everyone should feel encouraged to offer their true, heartfelt opinion without fear of being attacked for going against the norm.

My only criticism of this post is that you should change your moniker. I use my real name, which is in the telephone book, because aesthetic criticism is one of my philosophical subsets.

As part that particular philosophy, is that any culture is equal to its level of aesthetic criticism. Proof being the norm on this website, a pianist recently posted a Mendelssohn and a major Debussy work, and there was not one single reply.

The term is called "Herd mentality." That means if there are no glowing and great replies, then, we do nothing because we would not want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Good job "stalefleas," however, I once again urge your to select a name more befitting your level of criticism.

Finally, Pogorelich has stated that she refuses to repost this recording without the OVERPEDALING.

Hey, I am the one who says that Bach should be played in a Bel Canto style. That does not mean to put your foot down on the pedal and then lift it up when you are finished.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Right the last half of my post was addressed actually to the responders who have basically been attacking LP for offering his opinion. You did not go on the offensive and addressed his criticisms, which I find admirable.

The problem with LP's opinion is that it's always the same: if your not playing the way he would play it then your playing it wrong.
People tend to find that sort of thing offensive. And I find it pretty boring since his entire post count is made up of the same post re-worded.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[...] Finally, Pogorelich has stated that she refuses to repost this recording without the OVERPEDALING. [...]

Oh, for cry eye! For someone who wishes that everyone follows their HEART when they play, too, Louis... Jeeze. Give us a break!

Stalefleas--I am curious. What in the world are you listening through (equipment-wise)? This is the clearest, most true and professional recording Angelina has given us to date. (Do a search and assess, I challenge you.) If you don't like the piano's tone, it is not Angelina's fault...

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
BTW, Angelina,

With the Mozetich, I felt that I was standing in the mountains, close to a cataract (of the Wordsworthian variety), and I could practically smell the pines and sense the up-thrust and down-thrust of the geography. I am still in awe of the impression that you evoke with this piece.

Just so ya know.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I thought these were well played but I don't care for the piano tone. Everything feels washy, like looking at a painting through a glass of water. On the other hand, I did not respond as many of the other posters have to the effect that I am not awe-inspired. It is still good. Just didn't move me to that extent.

I'm sure mr podesta is willing to elaborate on his criticism (he has to some extent). Just because the majority likes something doesn't mean the one person who is critical deserves to be attacked. This is part of the reason so many subjective evaluations of certain artists and performers become ingrained as some kind of "fact" of art. Everyone should feel encouraged to offer their true, heartfelt opinion without fear of being attacked for going against the norm.

My only criticism of this post is that you should change your moniker. I use my real name, which is in the telephone book, because aesthetic criticism is one of my philosophical subsets.

As part that particular philosophy, is that any culture is equal to its level of aesthetic criticism. Proof being the norm on this website, a pianist recently posted a Mendelssohn and a major Debussy work, and there was not one single reply.

The term is called "Herd mentality." That means if there are no glowing and great replies, then, we do nothing because we would not want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Good job "stalefleas," however, I once again urge your to select a name more befitting your level of criticism.

Finally, Pogorelich has stated that she refuses to repost this recording without the OVERPEDALING.

Hey, I am the one who says that Bach should be played in a Bel Canto style. That does not mean to put your foot down on the pedal and then lift it up when you are finished.

Learn to play the piano, Podesta. Until then, shut-up.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission