2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, 10 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 242 of 540 1 2 240 241 242 243 244 539 540
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
my achievement of the week or i should say...my lifetime....i'm pregnant with my first baby.

ElleC how nice for you. You know you'll always have and audience now and the experts say it's good to expose the unborn to music. BIG Congradulations laugh

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Congratulations ElleC!!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wooooohooooo, the AOTW thread is gonna have its first baby....
[Linked Image]

Well, I mean ElleC is.... congratulations!

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
E
Originally Posted by Ragdoll
my achievement of the week or i should say...my lifetime....i'm pregnant with my first baby.

ElleC how nice for you. You know you'll always have and audience now and the experts say it's good to expose the unborn to music. BIG Congradulations laugh

Oh I plan to! And I already told my husband, our kid's gonna learn to play the piano as soon as possible!

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
congratulations ElleC, what a big year this is for you

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Congrats ElleC.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations ElleC! That is very special news!

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Congrats ElleC!! But don't force your kid to learn piano, or he/she will hate it. You can lead a horse to water, but it's still a horse. (isn't that how the saying goes? wink )

I sometimes wish I had had lessons as a kid, but I know that if I had, I would have been forced to practice and I would have hated it, so I'm grateful that I started on my own. So yea, lessons are great, but don't apply too much pressure. And here we are discussing piano lessons for your unborn child. I think we may be jumping the gun somewhat laugh

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
ElleC that is such exciting news. Congratulations.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Great news ElleC! Congratulations!!!!!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
A baby!!! What wonderful news ElleC. The baby will absorb your beautiful music as she listens.

I'm leaving for a conference in Grand Rapids Michigan tomorrow and have asked the hotel about pianos. They did email back and say nothing available in the hotel (what they mean is they don't let anyone touch theirs) but they'll look. We'll see.

Peter...I'm impressed that the Grieg came easily for you. Haven't heard yours yet but looking forward to it. Mine is one of the easier ones but the fingering is challenging me...building new neuronal pathways is taking its time.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Wisebuff - I hope you do get to play a piano while you are away.

I had my last lesson of the school year today . sniff. I really wish the summer break wasn't so long here, it is nuts. I won't have lessons again til mid September.

I played my 2 Schumann pieces in "performance mode" though we acknowledged that I am not yet up to the right tempo. I did better than I have, though I did have a little flub in the Sicilienne. He gave me a few pointers for things to work on in both pieces (the other being First Loss). I hope to play both at the EPP in July!

I also played the duet with my young friend - we played the whole march this time (Radetsky) and we are getting better at listening to each other and getting over flubs. Our teacher suggested that we continue working on duets next year if our schedules permit back to back lessons as we have now. (We use the last 10 min of my lesson and the first 10 of his for duet work).

It was a good lesson, I just wish I were going back next week!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I also played the duet with my young friend - we played the whole march this time (Radetsky) and we are getting better at listening to each other and getting over flubs. Our teacher suggested that we continue working on duets next year if our schedules permit back to back lessons as we have now. (We use the last 10 min of my lesson and the first 10 of his for duet work).

Here's a thought Cheryl,
Maybe he would be open to a weekly or bi-monthly get together at either of your places or a public venue over summer break. It's worth asking anyway. smile

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I had a very good lesson today and came away from it inspired by the two new pieces teacher recommended. I am already working on two others + the normal scales, arps and dynamics so she said to pick one of her suggestions from the Gershwin book. "Somebody loves Me" and "Someone to Watch Over Me" My limit is definitely 3 pieces to study at once. I don't know HOW you guys study 4-6 at once and difficult ones at that.

I'll take a day or two to noodle around with them and then decide which. SLM is probably going to be easiest to do a bit of improv with but I love the sound of STWOM. I'm hyped! cool

Last edited by Ragdoll; 06/18/13 07:51 PM.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I am always at a complete loss when I have to choose what to play next. Once I finally choose something, I want to unchoose it because it is too hard. Of course after I get some instruction I feel like Winnie the Pooh in this excerpt:

"Can you read, Pooh?" Owl asked a little anxiously. "There's a notice about knocking and ringing outside my door, which Christopher Robin wrote. Could you read it?"
"Christopher Robin told me what it said, and then I could."

Only for me it would be "Matthew told me how to play it, and then (after 50 million repetitions) I could."

A break from lessons until mid-September would be awful! Next week, my teacher and I will both be out of town, so no lesson that day, and that's probably the only break this summer!

Learner
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Wisebuff - I hope you do get to play a piano while you are away.

I had my last lesson of the school year today . sniff. I really wish the summer break wasn't so long here, it is nuts. I won't have lessons again til mid September.

I played my 2 Schumann pieces in "performance mode" though we acknowledged that I am not yet up to the right tempo. I did better than I have, though I did have a little flub in the Sicilienne. He gave me a few pointers for things to work on in both pieces (the other being First Loss). I hope to play both at the EPP in July!

It was a good lesson, I just wish I were going back next week!

Great!

T
T
Malkin, your Winnie the Pooh quote is hilarious, and so true. I am getting a little better at decoding the ones I'm doing currently all by myself, but that only lasts a little while and then I am back to needing Christopher Robin to show me it all again before I can play it.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
I love to read this thread but I can't give an individual comment to every achievement... Sorry about that and congratulations everyone.

Just to say that I was in the audition for the contest that my company is organizing.

Well, the ambiance was like "America got talent" or similar, and I wasn't expecting something so "serious". There was a small stage and 3 judges: the HR director of my company - he's pianist -, the administrator of the largest concert hall in Lisbon - he's who organizes the largest and the best music concerts in Portugal -, and the last winner of the Portuguese "America got talent" - yes, we have a contest like this, too. They are who will decide the 3 finalists. And, I saw some staff guys beyond a sound table and a cameraman surrounding the stage and some other people in the audience.

After presenting myself I asked If I could play something before starting playing "Indaco". I explained that It's not easy to play an acoustic piano at 11AM without doing a warming up... They accepted and I play 2 or 3 minutes of "Life" - the piece I'm working on -, and I felt it was my day. The piano had a celestial sound, perfect for "Indaco". I was relaxing.
Then, I play the version I did of "Indaco". I made two or three imperceptible errors, but I was concentrated and I was really enjoying my playing. The cameraman was surrounding me which was a little bit annoying, but I was doing my job. At the end I ear enthusiastic applauses. I wasn't expecting that...

Now, among various, the most interesting comments:
- The administrator of concerts was the first to speak: "How many years did you studied in the Conservatory?" Note: The Conservatory of Lisbon is the most important high school of arts in the country. I said: "None. I'm a self learner since December 2009.". He wasn't believing. He said that I had born with "natural talent".

- The HR director asked: "Why did you entered in this contest?... Because I can fell you play for your own enjoyment; it's like an intimidated playing.". I said: "Just because I love to play and I wouldn't miss the opportunity to have a professional video of me playing."

- The portuguese "America got talent" star: he was amazed... He asked again what was the theme and the composer and how could I play with such dynamics without having a teacher and only with 3 years of work... He was interested about the steps I do in order to achieve such level. Well, frankly I explained that I just like to play and that it's all about work and dedication. He was impressed.

So, I think I was fine. It was not my best interpretation because I'm not use to play in acoustics and the atmosphere was more serious than I could guess. I don't know If I will pass to finals - I don't know the other 11 competitors -, but, at least, I won a beautiful BIC pen with the logo of the company. Let's wait for the results.

Ok, guys, I'm in the finals. smile

For passing to finals, I earned a voucher to spend in travel agencies and, most important, the opportunity to do a professional video with my participation. So far so good!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Carlos - that is fantastic!!

How very very VERY exciting!

Bravo!!!!!!!!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
CarloCC what a success to make the finals! That is awesome.
Casinitaly: duets are such fun and really teach you to keep the tempo and listen to each other. My teacher used to be our duet partner which was kind of like playing with a human metronome (she's so good at time). Now she has us (the adults) doing duets and sometimes trios. We did a quartet one time...ended up together and about rolled on the floor laughing with relief.
Ragdoll: sometimes I can only work on two...sometimes ten. It kind of depends on where I'm at with the music...whether it's all new stuff (more taxing) or whether I'm close to knowing it.
Farmgirl: I have a piano in Grand Rapids just a few blocks from the hotel thanks to the staff at the hotel. I'm gone until Sunday and then leave again on Tuesday for Maine. Summerkeys here I come.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Page 242 of 540 1 2 240 241 242 243 244 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission