Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2179894 - 11/10/13 12:14 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: Polyphonist]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano
Quote:
[quote=EdwardianPiano]I love opus 111 also- has what sounds like jazz in it! However I do think the Hammerklavier is his best in its depth...

I would nominate the Diabelli Variations for that position, or Opus 111 if we're only allowing sonatas.

The Diabelli Variations are excellent of course but I don't hear the emotional depth in them that the later sonatas have esp Hammerklavier.

Are you joking? Variation 24, 31, 33? And the variations as a whole are such a wonderful journey. It's the greatest work ever written for the piano, edging out Bach's similar masterpiece, the Goldbergs, by an appreciable amount.

Will put them on you tube tomorrow....but no not joking..Hammerklavier is the one that affects me the most as an entire work but the variations in sonata no. 30 give me shivers of delight. smile

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/10/13 12:17 AM)

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2179897 - 11/10/13 12:18 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Quote:
[quote=EdwardianPiano]I love opus 111 also- has what sounds like jazz in it! However I do think the Hammerklavier is his best in its depth...

I would nominate the Diabelli Variations for that position, or Opus 111 if we're only allowing sonatas.

The Diabelli Variations are excellent of course but I don't hear the emotional depth in them that the later sonatas have esp Hammerklavier.

Are you joking? Variation 24, 31, 33? And the variations as a whole are such a wonderful journey. It's the greatest work ever written for the piano, edging out Bach's similar masterpiece, the Goldbergs, by an appreciable amount.

Will put them on you tube tomorrow....but no not joking..Hammerklavier is the one that affects me the most as an entire work but the variations in sonata no. 30 give me shivers of delight. smile

Yes, I agree about the last movement of 109 - absolutely ethereal. But the "as a whole" prize, again, goes to Diabelli for me. The Hammerklavier is pretty high up there though, and at least we both love late Beethoven. smile You'd be surprised how many people out there don't get it. (Too deep for them? wink )

Polyphonist

#2180062 - 11/10/13 11:45 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Yes, I agree about the last movement of 109 - absolutely ethereal. But the "as a whole" prize, again, goes to Diabelli for me. The Hammerklavier is pretty high up there though, and at least we both love late Beethoven. smile You'd be surprised how many people out there don't get it. (Too deep for them? wink )

They don't?!
Well onto the Diabelli variations you mentioned then Chopin's C minor sonata.
By the way here's a Beethoven radio station:

http://streamdb2web.securenetsystems.net/v5/BEETIR

They had Missa Solemnis on as I got up so achieved my aim to listen to that today- no need to put the CD on now.

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2180071 - 11/10/13 12:10 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Those variations are of course briliant. I blew my nose during variation 32 (got a cold) and my ears popped really loud and the music leapt out at me! 24 is beautifully gentle and tender. I will have to listen to them again in one go when I am not tired and full of cold. I am still going with the Hammerklavier as the most profound though.
Now onto poor Chopin....

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2180291 - 11/10/13 07:57 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Triple J Offline

[/quote]
It's always good to fall under Beethoven's spell! smile
When you meant the BBC prgramme- did you mean the documentary-drama one with Paul Rhys?
If you really want Beethoven fresh and full of life then Ronald Brautigam on fortepiano is it! [/quote]

Thanks EP, Yes the Rhys one.
I just listened to Brautigam play Pathetique m1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqtob5343e8

Crisp and vivacious! His tremolo is sublime. It is unfortunate the modern piano action adds so much extra work to getting to the music of at least the earlier LvB works.
Early in my musical awakening I came across LP vinyl of ( was not available 8-track evidently laugh ) Fritz Neumyer playing Haydn sonatas on a hammerflügel. Beautiful little gems.

Edited by Triple J (11/10/13 08:04 PM)

#2180316 - 11/10/13 08:27 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: Triple J]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Thanks EP, Yes the Rhys one.
I just listened to Brautigam play Pathetique m1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqtob5343e8

Crisp and vivacious! His tremolo is sublime. It is unfortunate the modern piano action adds so much extra work to getting to the music of at least the earlier LvB works.
Early in my musical awakening I came across LP vinyl of ( was not available 8-track evidently laugh ) Fritz Neumyer playing Haydn sonatas on a hammerflügel. Beautiful little gems.

I like to rewatch the scenes in the Paul Rhys docu drama- my favourites are when he beats Daniel Stiebert in the piano contest and when Julie is struggling with the 3rd movement of the C sharp sonata and he is standing there watching, then he comes up to her he and says "Can I help?" And when he sits down to play it her mouth falls open in amazement. Did you know the pianist for this drama was Ronald Brautigam?

Oh I haven't heard the Brautigam Pathetique yet- thanks for the link! Ronald's playing on the fortepiano is stunning- I think B would approve.
There are some more of his vids on you tube- check out the Hammerklavier sonata- astonishing!!

Is a hammerflugel a period keyboard? Ronald also has recorded Haydn on fortepiano- what a revelation! All the subtleties can be heard.

Here is the c sharp sonata, first mvt on a late 1800s piano with well temperament ( B was using something similar not equal temperament we have today):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fqQikzKIjs

PS Ronald was not using equal temperament either.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/11/13 09:52 AM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2180332 - 11/10/13 08:43 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I like to rewatch the scenes in the Paul Rhys docu drama- my favourites are when he beats Daniel Stiebert in the piano contest...

Is it this scene? I love it. grin

(By the way, it's Steibelt, not Steibert.)

Polyphonist

#2180387 - 11/10/13 10:12 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Jessiebear Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Just popping in to give Mr B. a bit of love! I enjoyed playing Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata 1st mvt as a teen, plus a couple of others. His music is so stormy and passionate. Loved the vid of the metal guitar version of M/S 3rd mvt!

#2180450 - 11/11/13 12:50 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: Jessiebear]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jessiebear
Just popping in to give Mr B. a bit of love! I enjoyed playing Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata 1st mvt as a teen, plus a couple of others. His music is so stormy and passionate. Loved the vid of the metal guitar version of M/S 3rd mvt!

That's nice Jessie- Mr B deserves it. smile Yes stormy and passionate is right- must be what makes his music so alive and engaging- the 3rd movement of the C sharp minor ( don't like the term Moonlight it doesn't fit it and Mr B didn't give it that name- it was quasi una fantasia...) certainly is stormy and passionate isn't it!
The metal version is interesting.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2180452 - 11/11/13 12:58 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: Polyphonist]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

I like to rewatch the scenes in the Paul Rhys docu drama- my favourites are when he beats Daniel Stiebert in the piano contest...

Is it this scene? I love it. grin

(By the way, it's Steibelt, not Steibert.)

Yeah that's it- well poor Daniel is so memorable I got his name wrong. laugh
They greatly simplified his playing for this scene as he was said to be a virtuoso pianist but Beethoven was better again! After he beat Steibelt, Beethoven was declared the champion and no more piano improvisation contests were held- it was then agreed he was the best in Vienna and unbeatable.
Imagine his improvisations- they must have been out of this world! The descriptions by people who saw them indicate that.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/11/13 12:59 AM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2180469 - 11/11/13 03:08 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
During my student days ... riding over Europe on my
BSA Bantam motorbike, and travelling up the Rhine ...

was lucky enough to visit Beethoven’s birthplace at Bonn ...
will never forget walking up those narrow stairs to the first floor,
of the double-storey house ... and being dazzled by a museum room fitted with all Beethoven’s mementoes including his Broadwood piano ... specially designed at the time by the English firm,
in the hope of easing his advancing deafness.

PS I was eventually glad to get out of the German bit of the tour
with the heavy influence of the Deutsch staple-diet of “swartbrod”
and at Strassbourg ... to pop over the Rhine bridge and enjoy the
lightness of those traditional long tasty French loaves .

Remember sitting on the kerb-side and devouring two loaves ...
each costing 6 Franks ... but then we were hungry!

regards, btb

Edited by btb (11/11/13 03:09 AM)

#2180472 - 11/11/13 03:29 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: btb]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

How I'd love to visit his old house in Bonn! Some people say his attic room has an atmosphere to it- did you notice that? I have been on the Beethovenhaus website a few times- it looks an amazing place. Also there is the house in Heiligenstadt in Vienna. That looks so picturesque. I can understand why he liked the area. In the video I posted a link to earlier one of the presenters walks along a brook that B loved.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2187883 - 11/25/13 02:59 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I have probably mentioned that I'm planning to start working on a Beethoven sonata. Having spent quite a lot of time on several of them some years ago, my problem is to choose which one to brush up. One option could have been to pick one I never worked on before. But brushing up one I already have been studying is probably a better idea. Initially I thought about Op.22 in B-major. Playing through the different movements, however, I found that it will take a lot of time for me to be able to play it reasonably well. The reason for this is probably that last time I worked on it was about 20 years ago.

Therefore I decided to look at Op.10/3 in D-major which I have been working on more recently. I put it aside about 8 years ago and since then I haven't played any Beethoven except the easy movements of the Moonlight and Pathetique sonata. I was not too optimistic when I started playing through Op.10/3, but was surprised that I remembered quite a lot of it, and could even play several pages from memory. Therefore this sonata will be my 2014 Beethoven project. I'll need to spend a lot of time on some difficult parts, and the goal is to memorise the whole sonata. I should probably also aim for a recording or a YouTube-video, otherwise there's a risk that I never finish the project.

Does anyone else play this sonata or parts of it?

#2187917 - 11/25/13 06:01 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Opus 10/3 is on my long term list, Ganddalf. I'm currently starting the Largo e mesto for the May '14 ABF recital but I'll be alternating study with Clementi's Op. 25/5.

I'm starting the Rachmaninoff Prelude Op. 3/2 with Griffin as a joint venture in February and if you're going slow enough I could work up the whole sonata with you in like manner but just not take it to recital tempo.

As you'll be doing much of it from memory, and twenty years is not long once a piece is in permanent/long term memory, let alone just eight, you'll be going much faster than I will. I tackled the first few measures years ago and decided I didn't have the necessaries back then.

If you think it might help you to share the learning process, methods and ideas I'll be happy to join in. If you'll be spending time on the difficult parts they'll be the same parts for me, by and large, so it would profit me to learn with you and share tips and tricks. I can always put the Clementi on hold.

On the other hand, I may slow you down if you already have most of it done.

#2187938 - 11/25/13 07:51 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: zrtf90]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
Opus 10/3 is on my long term list, Ganddalf. I'm currently starting the Largo e mesto for the May '14 ABF recital but I'll be alternating study with Clementi's Op. 25/5.

I'm starting the Rachmaninoff Prelude Op. 3/2 with Griffin as a joint venture in February and if you're going slow enough I could work up the whole sonata with you in like manner but just not take it to recital tempo.

As you'll be doing much of it from memory, and twenty years is not long once a piece is in permanent/long term memory, let alone just eight, you'll be going much faster than I will. I tackled the first few measures years ago and decided I didn't have the necessaries back then.

If you think it might help you to share the learning process, methods and ideas I'll be happy to join in. If you'll be spending time on the difficult parts they'll be the same parts for me, by and large, so it would profit me to learn with you and share tips and tricks. I can always put the Clementi on hold.

On the other hand, I may slow you down if you already have most of it done.

I'm absolutely interested in discussing the learning process with you. Great that you already are planning the slow movement for the ABF recital.

What seems to be the greatest problem at my present stage is to handle the transitions. The reason may be that I have split the movements into "logical" segments and practiced these individually, but not focused much on the transitions between the segments.

I can very well start with the Largo movement. With my small hands some of the large chords are challenging. Before Christmas, however, I'm tied up with the Chopin Mazurka recital, and I'm also involved in the Tchaikovsky project. But the Beethoven sonata will be my long-term project next year.

#2187969 - 11/25/13 09:12 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well I wish you both well learning the sonata! Keep us posted on how you are both doing on this thread!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2188022 - 11/25/13 11:20 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

That sounds great, Ganddalf. I'm busy enough, too, up to Christmas with both piano and non-piano related activities so I'll put what I've done on hold and wait for you in January. In the meantime I'll have a gentle perusal of the Presto so that I won't drag you back too much when we start that.

After a cursory glance at the score on IMSLP (I'm in the office now) I think the development looks easy enough for someone who plays the Pathtique Allegro so I'll look at the recap first from M183 and the coda from M298. As you already have knowledge of this movement does that look resonable to you?

First subject difficulties would be the double thirds in LH and broken 6ths in RH.

M23 is B minor not A major so a transition theme? Doesn't look too difficult.

2nd subject starts in M53 and looks easy enough. LH in M93-97 and RH in M97-105 appear to be the hardest of that lot and then in the coda M333 to the finish.

Would that be about right? Any surprises for me that I've missed?

#2188023 - 11/25/13 11:22 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Well I wish you both well learning the sonata! Keep us posted on how you are both doing on this thread!
Thank you for the good wishes.

We will probably start another thread specially for the piece. It might be easier for anyone interested to keep up with progress there.

#2188033 - 11/25/13 11:38 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
shaolin95 Offline

Gosh talk about motivation..someone on youtube that posted a video about 3rd movement said that in her option it takes 10 years of at least 1hr practice a day to learn it! smirk
I sure will beat that laugh
Maybe she meant Master it.

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

#2188046 - 11/25/13 11:48 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: zrtf90]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Thank you for the good wishes.

We will probably start another thread specially for the piece. It might be easier for anyone interested to keep up with progress there.

Let's do it! I will help you guys analyze it, and why not, I'll learn it also. smile

Polyphonist

#2188050 - 11/25/13 11:56 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: shaolin95]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: shaolin95
Gosh talk about motivation..someone on youtube that posted a video about 3rd movement said that in her option it takes 10 years of at least 1hr practice a day to learn it! smirk
Maybe she was on YouTube! laugh

The third movement is the Menuetto. It's not much above Clementi sonatina level. An hour a day would be overkill and ten days might be achievable for a younger player.

#2188052 - 11/25/13 12:02 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The voicing and counterpoint of the Menuet are deceptively difficult. Far, far above what Clementi writes in sonatinas.

Polyphonist

#2188055 - 11/25/13 12:13 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: Polyphonist]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The voicing and counterpoint of the Menuet are deceptively difficult. Far, far above what Clementi writes in sonatinas.
The trio reminds me of Clementi Op. 36/5 and Scarlatti Kp. 95. Much of the Menuetto itself isn't even hands together. I don't think it'll take me ten years. And that's not braggadoccio.

Let's do it! I will help you guys analyze it, and why not, I'll learn it also. smile
Yikes! I missed that!!

I intend learning this over the year with Ganddalf not by playing it through a few times over the next fortnight!! smile

#2188056 - 11/25/13 12:16 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: zrtf90]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The trio reminds me of Clementi Op. 36/5 and Scarlatti Kp. 95. Much of the Menuetto itself isn't even hands together. I don't think it'll take me ten years.

I didn't say it would take you ten years. I said it was harder than it first appears.

Yikes! I missed that!!

I intend learning this over the year with Ganddalf not by playing it through a few times over the next fortnight!! smile

What's your point? That was my understanding.

Polyphonist

#2188058 - 11/25/13 12:19 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I understood from another thread that you learn difficult pieces by playing them through a few times.

#2188059 - 11/25/13 12:20 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I don't remember saying that. If I did, I was probably joking.

Anyway, what does the pace of learning have to do with it?

Polyphonist

#2188062 - 11/25/13 12:29 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Never mind. smile

It looks like we'll be starting in the new year so we'll start a thread around then and see what happens.

It also looks like we'll begin with the Largo but as Ganddalf has already become familiar with the Presto I might sneak a peek beforehand to better keep up when we get there. Until then, you might cast your more experienced eye on my earlier findings and suggest a better order or tackling the Presto.

ETA: I'm about to leave for home so I might not respond readily.

Edited by zrtf90 (11/25/13 12:29 PM)

#2188069 - 11/25/13 12:47 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: zrtf90]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The Presto is fascinating to analyze. Possibly the most fascinating of the four movements. Whenever anyone would like to start, I'm ready. smile Ganddalf?

Polyphonist

#2188077 - 11/25/13 01:07 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: zrtf90]
shaolin95 Offline

Originally Posted By: shaolin95
Maybe she was on YouTube! laugh

The third movement is the Menuetto. It's not much above Clementi sonatina level. An hour a day would be overkill and ten days might be achievable for a younger player.

Sorry my bad..I was referring to the so called Moonlight Sonata Presto agitato laugh

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

#2188163 - 11/25/13 04:22 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

A special thread about this sonata is a good idea. I think that analysis and any other issues related to the study of it should be made there, and maybe it should be started right away.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (Arizona Sage, ajames, aesop, accordeur, 38 invisible), 1728 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75883 Members
42 Forums
156800 Topics
2304016 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Looking for an Android App....
by Ohio_Mark
Today at 09:17 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
Today at 02:00 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
Today at 01:33 AM
My Steinway M birth information.
by ciftwood
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Breathy tone
by JoelW
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission