2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
Hi,
I am in trouble here. I teach on a Yamaha Digital Piano , Arius YDP 240
and on a Yamaha baby Grand.

I have a new student next week and have only just learned that he will be
using a Yamaha MOX 8 synth.

what is the difference between these workstations and regular digital pianos ?

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Welsh Dragon - Welcome to Piano World.

You question would most likely receive the best responses in the Digital/Keyboard forum. This particular thread is about acoustic pianos.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Workstations have a greater variety of sounds and include sequencers and sometimes even digital recording. They may or may not have unweighted actions. if it makes you feel any better about it,. Elton John uses Yamaha Motif racks for his stage piano sound. The mox 8 will be just a useable as any other decent digital as it has 88 key graded hammer action.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Also, keep in mind your student will need to connect a keyboard amplifier or monitor speakers to a MOX

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Jasper82

Also, keep in mind your student will need to connect a keyboard amplifier or monitor speakers to a MOX

... and that a Yamaha MOX would not ordinarily come with a stand or a music desk, so you'll want to see how your student has it set up. Also, there's a pretty good chance that the student will have only a single pedal (sustain) that probably wanders all over the place on the floor.

Larry.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A synthesizer is basically any electronic device used to create or recreate sounds electronically. Nowadays any digital piano or organ is technically a synth, but in the old days they were keyboard devices, usually 3 octaves, with numerous switches and sliders, and could create virtually any sound from musical instruments to wind sounds. (in old synths the piano sound was notoriously diffucult to create, and modern synths tend to use sampling to create the sounds directly from recordings from the real sound)

A workstation as I remember them is basically a keyboard with no sounds on board, or just a handful, but its keyboard usually has full post-sound controls such as touch sensitivity like a digital piano as well as aftertouch and maybe breath control. It is designed to be connected to various sound banks and devices. A good example is the Korg M1.

Last edited by LarryShone; 11/26/13 02:38 PM.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by LarryShone

... A workstation as I remember them is basically a keyboard with no sounds on board, or just a handful, but its keyboard usually has full post-sound controls such as touch sensitivity like a digital piano as well as aftertouch and maybe breath control. It is designed to be connected to various sound banks and devices...

I think you're thinking of a "controller." A workstation has on-board sounds (the Korg M1 workstation had thousands), plus an on-board sequencer used to record MIDI performance data, enabling the user to create reproducable performances within the workstation.

I know, this may seem like more information than any acoustic piano enthusiast wants, but the pianos with player modules frequently discussed around here are actually close first-cousins.

Larry.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by iLaw
Originally Posted by LarryShone

... A workstation as I remember them is basically a keyboard with no sounds on board, or just a handful, but its keyboard usually has full post-sound controls such as touch sensitivity like a digital piano as well as aftertouch and maybe breath control. It is designed to be connected to various sound banks and devices...

I think you're thinking of a "controller." A workstation has on-board sounds (the Korg M1 workstation had thousands), plus an on-board sequencer used to record MIDI performance data, enabling the user to create reproducable performances within the workstation.

I know, this may seem like more information than any acoustic piano enthusiast wants, but the pianos with player modules frequently discussed around here are actually close first-cousins.

Larry.

No, I did say that they do have some sounds on board. And I know what a controller is; I bought one once that turned out to be faulty and outdated.
I was brought up surrounded by synths and keyboards-my brother was an electronic whizz kid, always building stuff and dreaming of owning a Polymoog. And the korg m1 is a workstation AND a controller.

Last edited by LarryShone; 11/26/13 04:11 PM.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Most keyboards with MIDI can function as controllers. What is called a controller in the market place connotes something like the Yamaha KX-88 and so many of the Fatars that had no sounds and the controller functions brought out to the front panel instead of buried in a "MIDI" menu.

Another small terminology nitpick. Most workstations and dedicated digital pianos are not synthesizers per se. They are sample players. A synthesizer builds sounds out of component parts: oscillator, modulation, filters, envelope generators etc. It may do this in the analog realm, the digital realm or a combination of the two. A sample player always starts with a digitally encoded waveform of a real sound making device. It takes a snapshot recording of the instrument and uses that digital recording as the starting point of the patch. Of course there are a hundred variations on these themes. Many sample players have filters and envelope controls. Many synths can sample etc

Kurt.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission