2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 278 of 540 1 2 276 277 278 279 280 539 540
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
We had another of our informal "adult" practice recitals last night. It was the first time I played a piece that I was still reading (e.g. not memorized) and that actually went well! It was the first movement of Beethoven's Sonata in G, Opus 49 no 2. It's close to memorized so relatively fluid and I got great comments. I thought the performance was OK given I have been working on it four weeks, which for me is just starting.

We were supposed to dress in Halloween costumes but I don't have one and didn't fancy making one for the occasion so I brought a surprise musical offering: I played (and sang) a little of Michael Jackson's Thriller smile

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
We had another of our informal "adult" practice recitals last night. It was the first time I played a piece that I was still reading (e.g. not memorized) and that actually went well! It was the first movement of Beethoven's Sonata in G, Opus 49 no 2. It's close to memorized so relatively fluid and I got great comments. I thought the performance was OK given I have been working on it four weeks, which for me is just starting.

We were supposed to dress in Halloween costumes but I don't have one and didn't fancy making one for the occasion so I brought a surprise musical offering: I played (and sang) a little of Michael Jackson's Thriller smile

Good for you. I remember your post of your first recital. Great achievement. Love the MJ thriller thing too.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I will be teacher less for a while. Her mom just passed away. She is going to play in the funeral (of course). That must be one heck of a concert. I really hope her mom's spirit. can hear that.

Not too much achievement. I was able to practice a little during the weekend. I can play through the mazurka and schubert piece with my interpretation. Did my best to bring out the voice and emphasize the rhythms (dotted eighth notes for Mazurka) and communicate subtlety in Schubert's modulation. I will see what she says when she get back. Resumed Elergie. This piece is not easy. Will take at least a couple of months or more if I don't practice regularly for a chunk of time. Talk to you soon. Happy practicing.

Last edited by FarmGirl; 10/28/13 10:07 AM.
N
N
Originally Posted by Ataru074

I'm practicing currently that section, (still far away to have it all in the fingers) and IMHO the best way that I visualize is like a sort of waves of sound, each one being louder ( starting and ending ) than the preceding one and pay SOME ( not too much ) attention to the accents.

( like pp < mf, p < f, mp < ff, ff > p, p <<<<< ff )

Thanks, I'll give that a try. The other difficulty I have is that I own a (gasp) Digital Piano, which is not super ideal for working out dynamics. But, I live in an apartment with paper thin walls so getting a real piano is out of the questions right now. frown But, on the up side, it makes recording and playing back super easy. I found that hearing me play (even on a digital recording) is an invaluable feedback loop.

My goal was to memorize the entire piece this past weekend. And I have all but one last section to go (the last variation of the 2nd theme: http://www.notablescores.com/clips/73). Then I think I'll post a recording in the Member Recording section and get some feedback.

Working on Beethoven's Appassionata Sonata, Mvt 3.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wisebuff - I am glad to hear that you received an "all clear" report on your mammogram. cancer is scary business! And congratulations to Mystique!

CasinItaly - I love Clementi 36-2. It is so cheerful and uplifting. It sounds like you are making great progress with it.

FarmGirl - Your comments on your Mazurka rhythms sounds like what I am going through with mine. The accents and slur marks are not what I expect, and it has taken a long time to ingrain them.

Neuralfirings and Ataru074- I can't wait to hear your completed Ballade. That is quite an accomplishment.

AndyPlatt - Congrats on playing the Beethoven Sonata in a piano party after only four weeks of study. Very impressive. I would have loved to hear your "Thriller".

My achievement this week is having consistently good practice performances of my Villa-lobos piece. My recital is two weeks away, so, several times a day I do "pretend performances" and sit down at the piano and play the piece cold. I am sure my neighbors think I am crazy. I am gaining more confidence for the day, though. My teacher told me I will play last, which means I will have a long time to sit there and worry about it. So I've decided to just live the piece for the next two weeks.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by SwissMS
My achievement this week is having consistently good practice performances of my Villa-lobos piece. My recital is two weeks away, so, several times a day I do "pretend performances" and sit down at the piano and play the piece cold. I am sure my neighbors think I am crazy. I am gaining more confidence for the day, though. My teacher told me I will play last, which means I will have a long time to sit there and worry about it. So I've decided to just live the piece for the next two weeks.

My teacher is consistently making me go last (well, except for her), specifically to try and get me more nervous. But I'm not sure the practice recitals we have will translate when it's time for a real recital in terms of nerves. We'll have to see. Anyway, I was pretty calm yesterday.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
I have O Sole Mio as this weeks song for my lesson. I know the song. When I first looked at it. Made no sense whatsoever. Even after my teacher went over it literally with me. Still didn't click. Been working on it. I can't believe it. I'm actually getting it now!
This is great. Making sense out of something that made no sense whatsoever.
This song, my grandfather thought was the funniest thing on earth. Whenever music was mentioned. He would laugh out loud singing this. This seemed to be his definition of 'music'. He came to the US from Sicily when he was 14. I hope to make his memory happy in playing a glorious O Sole Mio for him. smile

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
A
A
Just wanted to check in and say that I'm always amazed reading about everyone's achievements! I've been incredibly busy with work this month, but being able to periodically check in and see all of you making progress while living busy lives really motivates me to find time to keep going.

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:
Rachmaninoff: Prelude Op 23 No 4

N
N
Re: zrtf90 -- Thanks for the advice! I listened to a few recordings online and I think I figured out a way to make these passages coherent. It's in the left hand, as you pointed out. In each of the section I can find a way to play the left hand notes so it has that heartbeat "bebung" or "bebungbung." I think that beat ties each section together, as well as the transition to the other parts of the music. I'll show you what I mean using my handy sheet music clip embedder. laugh

In the waltz there's the heart beat from C to Bb, then from A to Bb, etc.
[Linked Image]

Then here, there's the heart beat in the eightnote/quarternote pairing:
[Linked Image]

This one was tricky to find, but Zimmermann's recording called it out. There's the beat from Ab to G, Bb to A, etc.
[Linked Image]

Then the last section there's the heart beat again in the eighth note to quarter note pairing:
[Linked Image]

Working on Beethoven's Appassionata Sonata, Mvt 3.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
Originally Posted by CarlosCC

Ok, guys, I'm in the finals. smile

For passing to finals, I earned a voucher to spend in travel agencies and, most important, the opportunity to do a professional video with my participation. So far so good!

Here is the video.

I want to share with you the results of this contest:
The winners are a group of guys playing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME6TcsCxQHk

I wasn't the winner but I received tons of compliments and congratulations from everywhere. The organizers were amazed with the number of votes I collect and I was almost winning the contest, they said. "Your music is different, hard to perform, but beautiful and peaceful. It's an "unknown" music, so we didn't expect that your video could collect such number of votes... Comparing with the other performers, you are in another level. In amateur world, anyone can sing, but few can play as you did."

To get the idea, the other finalists were:
Ana Azevedo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeW-cutV4V0
Luis Ribeiro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpqfln7lRSA
Sérgio Pericão: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA1ubx5tRR0
Tony Alves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtMzr6ulW_0

For me, it was a great experience.
Thank you guys for your support.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
J
J
Carlos what an amazing achievement!!! I just watched your video and am blown away. Truly awesome.

Inspired by Einaudi and Tiersen.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations Carlos! Well the winners' song is certainly "easy-listening", although I don't like it very much. There is a totally different level of musicianship and refinement in your performance.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Wow, what a quality set of performances! It's incredible what level each of them brought their performances to. Most of us here have participated in recitals/gigs of some sort and know what kind of work goes in to them for those of us who aren't full-time musicians. BES certainly does have talent!

I, too, liked your performance best, and thought it was the most musically satisfying, altho I know how hard it is to make vocals sound good, and the soloists were great. As for the winners - I'll admit to being partial to bands laugh They were just having so much fun! They made me laugh smile And they had fun with their video, too.

What a bunch of winners smile You were in great company. And so were they - yours was beautiful.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Ron, I totally remember having that same experience with O Sole Mio - having the pieces finally fall into place & make sense. My achievement this week is similar - I was able to figure out the answer to one of my own dumb questions. I’ve just started working on the duet from Bizet’s The Pearlfishers, & working on the RH, at the end of the first “sentence” there was a G where I thought there should be an A. Eventually, when I was working on the LH, I realized the chord at the end of the LH in the sentence held the A. Actually, getting the timing right helped too - the G was actually in the next measure. But I recognized the A because I heard it - while I was playing the LH, I must’ve been hearing the RH in my head. I was so relieved to find the missing A!

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yesterday I had a good lesson. I got a pass on two pieces, the Bach Polonaise I started al least 6 months ago (I should check), and Schumann's Little Romance that I started studying in August.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Good going Carlos. I think you were number one. I would have voted for you.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by rnaple

Me too! Carlos, you are my inspiration.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl

Indeed!

I did like the fellow playing the guitar and singing - and the woman had a lovely voice too....The band was fun, but ...:)

It has been so much fun following this adventure with you Carlos!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl

I agree! Carlos, your performance had so much heart. You did a beautiful job.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks!
Believe it or not, I thought of you guys in some moments of my playing. thumb

As I told, my goal was to be one of the finalist to do the video. As an amateur pianist, the chances of making a professional video are very few, or close to zero. That was an achievement for me. Also, all the experience was unforgettable and rich.

But, there are some fresh news:
I received a phone call from a company's board member asking if I want to be part of a show that my company wants to produce with the finalists in 2014. Usually the shows are in Lisbon an Porto, here:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I accepted the invitation.
... but this is another level of compromise... eek

Also, some of the singers are going to participate in the annual Christmas party of my company with three Christmas songs. Due the budget limits we can't do any rehearsal to work with (live) instruments. That to say, we are happy but we never imagined the implications of our participation in the contest...

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
Page 278 of 540 1 2 276 277 278 279 280 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission