Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
74 registered (ando, Anita Potter, AndyJoe, 36251, anamnesis, 17 invisible), 1199 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 190 of 246 < 1 2 ... 188 189 190 191 192 ... 245 246 >
Topic Options
#2186819 - 11/22/13 10:41 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted By: casinitaly

Tonight we have an "Adventure" of the week! - We're going into Milan for a concert.
Argerich and Kremer. The program is Mieczysław Weinberg Sonata 3 op. 126 violin solo, Sonata n. 5 op. 53 for violin and piano, plus Beethoven : Sonata in G major op. 30 and Sonata in G major op. 96.
AND....we'll meet Sinophillia smile

That's great Cas. Nice to know you'll meet Sinophillia! thumb

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2186826 - 11/22/13 10:57 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Finally called the piano tech after not having my brand new piano tuned since I got it 6 months ago. So apparently it's wayyyyy flat. He did send me a reminder card to get it tuned sooner "because brand new pianos should be at least tuned 4x in its first year" I obviously didn't quite get that into my head. Oops! Now I know why. This is my AOTW because after he's done tuning my piano I'm planning to practice for hours laugh Oh and also, I managed to practice everyday this week after getting home from work even when it's 11pm. I'd neglected my digital piano for a while there....I bet it was so sad collecting dust in the corner. Now it's happy again wink

#2186831 - 11/22/13 11:12 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: ElleC]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
This is my AOTW because after he's done tuning my piano I'm planning to practice for hours

I predict this would have happened even if you hadn't "planned" it. grin Gotta love a newly tuned piano.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2187056 - 11/22/13 07:54 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Six months is a long time!
Brewer is so completely picky about tuning that we had the tuner over 3-4 times/year for the Vogel. The tuning on the new piano gets worse by the hour. I'm not sure how long we'll be able to stand it!

#2187213 - 11/23/13 08:37 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Tonight we have an "Adventure" of the week! - We're going into Milan for a concert.
Argerich and Kremer. The program is Mieczysław Weinberg Sonata 3 op. 126 violin solo, Sonata n. 5 op. 53 for violin and piano, plus Beethoven : Sonata in G major op. 30 and Sonata in G major op. 96.

And how cool was that? grin

My beloved Martha, the wonderful Gidon Kremer, Cheryl & Mr. casinitaly all in one night! What a treat!

#2187634 - 11/24/13 08:25 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
wimpiano Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
My first AOTW post: Learned to play "The Sick Doll" (Tchaikovsky Op 39 No 7).

Started playing two months ago and enjoy every minute of it.

I played organ for a couple of years when I was a kid (three years or so, stopped when I was 10) but was a bad student (Not really practicing, no focus, probably started to early) so I never got anywhere.

Edited by wimpiano (11/24/13 08:26 AM)

#2187889 - 11/25/13 03:19 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Happy to have access to the forum. I was not able to access for a while today. Happy practice and happy thanksgiving! I have guests this week and will be super busy for non-piano activities.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

#2187946 - 11/25/13 08:17 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
Happy to have access to the forum. I was not able to access for a while today. Happy practice and happy thanksgiving! I have guests this week and will be super busy for non-piano activities.

Why don't you play for your... guests? thumb

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2187950 - 11/25/13 08:34 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: wimpiano]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wimpiano

Started playing two months ago and enjoy every minute of it.

I played organ for a couple of years when I was a kid (three years or so, stopped when I was 10) but was a bad student (Not really practicing, no focus, probably started to early) so I never got anywhere.

Congrats wimpiano! Getting that 1st song/piece under your belt is always so satisfying.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2187957 - 11/25/13 08:56 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: wimpiano]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida

Congratulations and welcome to the AOTW thread. Sick Doll is an interesting piece, one that you can really bring out the musicality. What are you working on next?

Estonia L190 #7284

#2187997 - 11/25/13 10:35 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
FarmGirl Offline

Sure I will do. I won't miss the chance to play it for my Thanksgiving guests smile. Who cares if they got indigestion. Anyway I'm planning to play the Mazurka I'm working on. It will be a good practice for my local piano club performance opportunity on 12/14. I will play some Christmas music and Japanese Country music called Enka since its a gathering of Expats. Like its American counterparts, they are all sad songs describing love lost and men & women at the end of luck. I have my niece from Japan until 12/8. So she has to endure an hour and 15 min each day having to listen to my practice for piano and violin respectively. My violin is quite bad. I saw my friends trying to conceal a laughter!
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

#2188063 - 11/25/13 12:29 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
ElleC Offline

It's amazing what 1 full week of daily practicing could do!

Lots of progress with my Waltz in A minor this week.I've gotten the fingering down, working on improving the dynamics and adding trills now. So excited to be learning my 2nd Chopin =)

Burgmuller Op 100 No 9 is going quite smoothly. It was easy enough to learn in 5 days time on my own, I presented it to my teacher yesterday and got some good feedback. Minor improvement needed on dynamics but otherwise, I'm glad with what I've been able to accomplish with this piece by myself.

I also started learning Cristofori's dream this week and it's kind of cool how several months ago, I found this piece hard to learn cause I was terrible at reading notes. I decided to try again this time around. Reading notes seem to come a little easier now so it's not as frustrating trying to learn a new piece.

And thanks earlofmar for inspiring me to relearn Clementi's Sonatina in C major Op 36. No 1. I learned the first movement several months ago and totally enjoyed playing it. My goal now is to learn the 2nd and 3rd movements to complete the sonatina.

#2188190 - 11/25/13 05:09 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

@wimpiano - Congratulations and welcome to AOTW!

@ElleC - I try to play everyday. Even if it is for 15 minutes only. thumb

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2188527 - 11/26/13 09:09 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

I realized that I responded to my own post when wanted to respond to Carlos. I'm not myself this week. Too busy.

#2188601 - 11/26/13 11:25 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
Originally Posted By: sinophilia

And how cool was that? grin
My beloved Martha, the wonderful Gidon Kremer, Cheryl & Mr. casinitaly all in one night! What a treat!

What a fun evening! I think it's marvellous that some of us from PW are getting to meet in real life.

Sure I will do. I won't miss the chance to play it for my Thanksgiving guests smile. Who cares if they got indigestion. Anyway I'm planning to play the Mazurka I'm working on. It will be a good practice for my local piano club performance opportunity on 12/14. I will play some Christmas music and Japanese Country music called Enka since its a gathering of Expats. Like its American counterparts, they are all sad songs describing love lost and men & women at the end of luck. I have my niece from Japan until 12/8. So she has to endure an hour and 15 min each day having to listen to my practice for piano and violin respectively. My violin is quite bad. I saw my friends trying to conceal a laughter!

Its sounds like you have a very musical Thanksgiving planned, indeed, FarmGirl! You could always turn the tables and request that some of your guests play If they know enough to laugh at your violin playing, perhaps they should be performing themselves. smile

Id love to hear some of the Enka music, if you can share a recording.

Originally Posted By: ElleC
It's amazing what 1 full week of daily practicing could do!

Lots of progress with my Waltz in A minor this week.I've gotten the fingering down, working on improving the dynamics and adding trills now. So excited to be learning my 2nd Chopin =)

Oh, Elle, I wish I could say the same! Ive been very bad about practicing this week. And I have so much to do yet to get that same waltz in hand. *sigh* Well. Enough of that. I will take your comments as inspiration and encouragement to put in the necessary bench time. I should know by now that the rewards are great!

So glad to hear about your progress. smile

#2188628 - 11/26/13 12:21 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
wimpiano Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
@aTallGuyNH, @JimF and @CarlosCC Thanks!
I'll try to post regularly though I'm a bit busy (My daugther was born yesterday wink )

#2188638 - 11/26/13 12:33 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: wimpiano]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
That's awesome news, wimpiano! Congrats to you and your (expanding) family! Hope all is well with daughter and mom. smile

#2188647 - 11/26/13 12:51 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: wimpiano]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'll try to post regularly though I'm a bit busy (My daugther was born yesterday wink )

Wow, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
I wish all the best for you, and special for your baby thumb

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2188696 - 11/26/13 02:13 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
ElleC Offline

Aww congrats on your new bundle Wimpiano! Exciting times for you and your family indeed.

piano_deb don't get discouraged. It's really hard to put the time in especially with a busy schedule and lord knows we all have "adult" stuff we have to deal with. But what Carlos_CC mentioned before, even 15 minutes can make a big difference. And actually most the times when I practice at night, I usually try to practice only for that long but end up practicing for an hour without even realizing it's already midnight and past my bedtime!

#2188702 - 11/26/13 02:29 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Jasper82 Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor MI
Well here's my achievement:

I went on two trips to the hospital because I knew they had a grand piano in the lobby for anyone to play. The first day I was really nervous about practicing in such a large open space in front of strangers such that I played really softly, almost too timid. But never-the-less a woman stopped and watched me when I was actually playing a piece all the way through. She was smiling and approached me and we talked for a moment and she complimented me.

The next day I did the same thing and a woman pushing her elderly relative in a wheel chair also stopped and told me "Keep Playing" it's kind of hard because I was just practicing and reading new stuff, but I guess I could like, keep some songs on loop and play them over and over until they are more natural. Create better endurance.
http://jdsy.bandcamp.com/album/solo-piano-improv

#2188705 - 11/26/13 02:38 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: wimpiano]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

wooohooo, congrats to you and your family!!!

Estonia L190 #7284

#2188723 - 11/26/13 03:10 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
shaolin95 Offline

My achievement...a few more bars of the so called "Moonlight" Sonata 3rd movement! laugh
Turtle speed but it is just so rewarding and can wait to get to my dream of playing it correctly.

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

#2188724 - 11/26/13 03:12 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: shaolin95]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Originally Posted By: shaolin95
My achievement...a few more bars of the so called "Moonlight" Sonata 3rd movement! laugh
Turtle speed but it is just so rewarding and can wait to get to my dream of playing it correctly.

That is a beautiful achievement indeed shaolin! I wish you well with it- far beyond me even at snail's speed though...

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2188729 - 11/26/13 03:22 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: EdwardianPiano]
shaolin95 Offline

Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano
Originally Posted By: shaolin95

That is a beautiful achievement indeed shaolin! I wish you well with it- far beyond me even at snail's speed though...

Thank you although I wouldnt bet I am that far! smile

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

#2188764 - 11/26/13 04:24 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

@Jasper82 - That's wonderful. Playing for strangers is a great step in your confidence. You'll see what I mean.

@shaolin95 - LOL, "Turtle speed" is funny; Don't forget that playing slowly is sooooo important... Keep working, and you will see your dream realized.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2188769 - 11/26/13 04:30 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: wimpiano]
torquenale Offline

Congratulations!! All the best to your family! smile

#2188778 - 11/26/13 04:41 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My AOTW - Today I received a phone call from the TV producer: Next Thursday I'll meet him, the writer and their TV crew, to talk about the episode they want to do with me.
This is the first step of this new adventure. Wish me luck!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2188800 - 11/26/13 05:11 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
torquenale Offline

I had lesson today. I was complaining because I feel I am sooo slow in learning my pieces (ok, maybe I'm trying to work on too many things at the same time), and my teacher asked why I did not consider how much I'm improving. She made my day!

#2188803 - 11/26/13 05:14 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
My achievement of the week....I woke up with new fingers!

Perhaps it's just turning one year on piano I was given a present, or perhaps its a fantastically difficult Tausig exercise I have been learning but they are not the same fingers I had last week that's for sure.

#2188820 - 11/26/13 05:54 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

CarlosCC - Good Luck! Do you kow what you want to play on the show?

Torquenale - I feel the same way all the time, and sometimes I whine to my teacher about it too. Then, wham, a few weeks go by and it all seems to fall into place. One of the things she has taught me is that if what you are doing in practice doesn't seem to be working....do something different. Well, duh, you'd think I could have figured that out on my own, but that's what we pay teachers for.

Earlofmar - Wow, new fingers? I could use a few. What was the exercise you worked on?

My AOTW: Had a pretty good lesson today. Played the Puccini aria through twice for her, much better the second time, and got a "that was beautiful and the best I've ever heard you play." Then I played a lead sheet tune with a improvised left hand in a jazz waltz pattern. A few weeks ago getting hold of that pattern was completely eluding me, so quite an improvement. I also played my weekly "throw away," which was an arrangement of Bach out of the Faber Christmastime for All book others have talked about. I surprised her (and myself) by being able to pretty much sight read this at a slow but steady tempo. And I have finally got the G minor section of the Mozart in my fingers and can work on the one final remaining section. It is sounding quite musical, and a big improvement on just a few weeks back, so I'm pleased with the progress. Last, I have a new assignment...Fountain in the Rain by William Gillock, which she assures me looks harder than it is...we shall see about that.

Estonia L190 #7284

Page 190 of 246 < 1 2 ... 188 189 190 191 192 ... 245 246 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just to say "Hello"
by JennyS
Today at 05:33 AM
Dyslexia and reading the rhythm
by Nahum
Today at 04:18 AM
Wanted to give jazz a chance, reverting back to classical
by Artur Gajewski
Today at 03:31 AM
anyone... listening to Greek Radio?
by Nikolas
Today at 12:38 AM
Weber piano sonatas: a "hidden" treasure
by jeffreyjones
Today at 12:32 AM
Forum Stats
77065 Members
42 Forums
159390 Topics
2341391 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission