Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 191 of 227 < 1 2 ... 189 190 191 192 193 ... 226 227 >
Topic Options
#2188920 - 11/26/13 08:34 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate this feast of a holiday. For the rest of you...feel free to join us on Thursday for a day to eat, drink and give thanks.

My achievement is learning two pages of "I'll be home for Christmas" in two days. I'm going to accompany my husband for the piano party here at my place on Dec 8. I've been at an academic conference in Washington DC for a few days and really missed my piano but I'm sluggish at getting back up to practice mode. My brain feels scattered...ever have that feeling??

Love to learn

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2188938 - 11/26/13 09:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: WiseBuff]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: WiseBuff
Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate this feast of a holiday. For the rest of you...feel free to join us on Thursday for a day to eat, drink and give thanks.

My achievement is learning two pages of "I'll be home for Christmas" in two days. I'm going to accompany my husband for the piano party here at my place on Dec 8. I've been at an academic conference in Washington DC for a few days and really missed my piano but I'm sluggish at getting back up to practice mode. My brain feels scattered...ever have that feeling??

E
v
e
r
y

s
i
n
g
l
e

d
a
y

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2189046 - 11/27/13 04:42 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
@torquenale: Having too many things to think about at the same time, it's not good... At least your teacher don't think as you smile If she told you're improving, why not to believe? I'm sure she's right!
One of the reasons that led me to play the piano was just the fact that I have many things to work at the same time. It seems a contradiction, but it is not. My goal was to have a liberating moment of all the daily stress ... And it worked.

@earlofmar - What is the "Tausig exercise" you're learning?

@JimF - I have no idea... Tomorrow we'll discuss the alignment of the episode.
And congratulations for your achievements! That is an huge collection of pieces to work and play.

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2189101 - 11/27/13 08:36 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: wimpiano]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
I'll try to post regularly though I'm a bit busy (My daugther was born yesterday

Well that's quite an AOTW wimpiano. You won't sleep through the night for months grin Just kidding, congratulations, what's her name?

Welcome to PW smile

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2189239 - 11/27/13 01:52 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: CarlosCC

I can't play it through yet but working on it. Each each day I do a few minutes of it to see if I can get the stretches and gradually what was impossible a few months ago is beginning to be possible. You can see a demonstration here

#2189243 - 11/27/13 02:03 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ragdoll]
wimpiano Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Ragdoll
Quote:
I'll try to post regularly though I'm a bit busy (My daugther was born yesterday

Well that's quite an AOTW wimpiano. You won't sleep through the night for months grin Just kidding, congratulations, what's her name?

Welcome to PW smile

Although you're kidding it's very likely to be true frown wink

Her name is Naomi and she and her mother are doing well.

Thanks all for your congratulations!

In the few minutes I've got left these busy days I'm starting to practice the Old French Song from the same Tchaikovsky album.

#2189277 - 11/27/13 03:30 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: earlofmar]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: earlofmar

I can't play it through yet but working on it. Each each day I do a few minutes of it to see if I can get the stretches and gradually what was impossible a few months ago is beginning to be possible. You can see a demonstration here

Oh awesome! Thanks for sharing...I'm gonna try this!

#2189290 - 11/27/13 04:27 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: earlofmar]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: earlofmar

That's interesting. I'll give it a try thumb

CarlosCC records

#2189329 - 11/27/13 05:51 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: WiseBuff]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2189379 - 11/27/13 07:59 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: wimpiano]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:

In the few minutes I've got left these busy days I'm starting to practice the Old French Song from the same Tchaikovsky album.

A lovely name.

Have you looked at the Tchaikovsky recital thread? Old French Song is already taken but there are many still open if you want to join in. smile

#2189384 - 11/27/13 08:07 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: WiseBuff]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
My achievement is learning two pages of "I'll be home for Christmas" in two days.

I'm messing around with that one too Wisebuff. It will take me more than two days though. ha That one and Let it Snow are the two new Christmas songs I'm working on. Brushing up some older ones as well.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

#2189390 - 11/27/13 08:42 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm looking at The Christmas Song right now in my fake book. So pretty... 20 different chords... yikes.

XXIX-XXXII

#2189527 - 11/28/13 07:22 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ragdoll]
wimpiano Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:

A lovely name.

Have you looked at the Tchaikovsky recital thread? Old French Song is already taken but there are many still open if you want to join in. smile

All the easy songs are taken frown Instead of posting the recordings in the recital thread I'll post them in the Ecco Fatto Café by April. Leaves me (I hope) enough time to practice.

#2189823 - 11/28/13 08:45 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: wimpiano]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I'll post them in the Ecco Fatto Café by April. Leaves me (I hope) enough time to practice.

Looking forward to it! YAY, I love the ECCO FATTO Café, I just enjoy hearing people new to piano play for us. A great place to get one's feet wet too. Very supportive and helps you conquer your fears about putting yourself "out there". smile

#2190097 - 11/29/13 01:07 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have finally figured out and notated a good fingering for my enhanced score of Someone to Watch over Me. I had a simplified version that I learned quickly, but found it rather plain vanilla and so got into fleshing it out by adding fifths and different inversions to it. The bass line was single notes! This seems to be never ending as it led me into studying same tone and close tone chord voicing. I'm still not sure if I'm done with it but it sure sounds better/fuller than the original score. I find this a great AOTW (actually the month+ grin) I like to figure out for myself things that aren't in my music books, it's rewarding but it does stifle my practice playing a bit.

Now I'm back to practicing my Christmas pieces. Made fresh copies from my book as I tend to mark them up a lot while learning them and they soon begin to resemble Jackson Pollack paintings. That's about it for this past 6 days. yippie

#2190113 - 11/29/13 01:38 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ragdoll]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I have finally figured out and notated a good fingering for my enhanced score of Someone to Watch over Me. I had a simplified version that I learned quickly, but found it rather plain vanilla and so got into fleshing it out by adding fifths and different inversions to it. The bass line was single notes! This seems to be never ending as it led me into studying same tone and close tone chord voicing. I'm still not sure if I'm done with it but it sure sounds better/fuller than the original score. I find this a great AOTW (actually the month+ grin) I like to figure out for myself things that aren't in my music books, it's rewarding but it does stifle my practice playing a bit.

This is cool. I've been doing that with a couple of simpler arrangements of songs, too - I'd love to be able to do it on the fly, instead of having to memorize my arrangements, but I'm not there yet. But it's really fun. Sort of Mr S-H's F.O.A.M. method in miniature, for me smile

Cathy

#2190122 - 11/29/13 02:34 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

@Ragdoll - That's great Ragdoll. If it sounds better now, then it's OK, for sure. Congrats!

CarlosCC records

#2190213 - 11/29/13 06:25 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Wow, everyone is so busy! Love reading the news!

Special congrats to Wimpiano on the arrival of Miss Naomi ! May she live a long, happy and healthy life, surrounded by those who love her.

Ragdoll - that's very cool!
JimF -you're really playing some great music!
Wisebuff: safe travels and try to just relax!

Earlofmar - interesting stuff you're doing there!

My AOTW is that I've made a breakthrough on my Clementi - several stumbling blocks have been moved out of the way. I am not finished by any means, but I'm over some major challenges.

#2190254 - 11/29/13 08:15 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: jotur]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I've been doing that with a couple of simpler arrangements of songs, too - I'd love to be able to do it on the fly

@jotur
heh, me too. I have to think about it first, then try it, then write it into the score. I also sometimes fail to recognize a triad in 2nd or 3rd inversions and have to look at each note to see it's an inversion that I could identify in root position easily. It's all pretty new to me still but fun anyway.

#2190256 - 11/29/13 08:18 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
That's great Ragdoll. If it sounds better now, then it's OK, for sure. Congrats!

Thanks CarlosCC, it's slow going right now. I hope it becomes easier as I do it more. smile

#2190450 - 11/30/13 08:28 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Finding time to play over Thanksgiving break may not be a BIG accomplishment but it feels like one. I'm enjoying playing again and working each piece in blocks/chunks and BELIEVING (I mean REALLY) believing I can get them up to speed. Let's do Christmas music now. :-)

Love to learn

#2190778 - 11/30/13 11:30 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: WiseBuff]
Sand Tiger Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Week 89 & 90: I took a week off from piano to attend my father's funeral. The trip and the service went about as well as can be expected. I perform Up to the Mountain on my Clarke brand tin whistle. It is a performance of a lifetime. All my musical training, friendships, mentors, audiences are rolled into the energy for that one performance. I give the eulogy then play the short tune on the whistle.

I got to practice Up to the Mountain, at my church coffee house the night before I got on the airplane for the funeral. I told the audience that I was going to perform that same tune at the funeral and there was an audible gasp. The love and support from my church friends there, and then friends and family at the wake and funeral are of great comfort to me. I also do two piano pieces prior to the wind instruments at the coffee house. I stumble through my last two recital pieces, my original, Avenue D, and a cover of A Thousand Years, on a Baldwin grand piano.

The crowd is supportive and gives nice applause, despite my stumbles. I think I hear whispering while I am playing and find it distracting. I am tempted to say something, but that would only break my concentration even more. So even with two recitals and seven months on the first piece, I am still not quite ready for prime time. Despite having performed dozens if not a hundred times live.

I have been reading the thread and am always impressed, and interested in each person's progress, or perhaps lack of progress. Funerals have a way of creating perspective. Enjoy the journey.

#2190784 - 11/30/13 11:58 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm sorry to hear about your loss SandTiger. Yours is a very poignant post. Keep plugging way.

XXIX-XXXII

#2190791 - 12/01/13 12:30 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Condolences on your loss Sand Tiger, I lost my mother two years ago in Dec and I miss her greatly. "Funerals have a way of creating perspective" is so very true.

#2190792 - 12/01/13 12:41 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Condolences, SandTiger...
One year ago. I had just gotten back from So. Cal. for my father's funeral.

#2190831 - 12/01/13 05:50 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Sand Tiger, my sympathies on your loss. I am glad you had the comfort and support of so many good souls.

#2190844 - 12/01/13 07:29 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sand Tiger, I'm sorry to hear of your loss and send you loving thoughts and prayers for healing. The love and emotion your music conveyed was a gift for all those you shared it with and I'm glad they gave you support and comfort.

Love to learn

#2190854 - 12/01/13 08:33 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Sand Tiger]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I took a week off from piano to attend my father's funeral.

Sand Tiger,
I am so sorry to hear of your grief. If we believe God's promise of eternal life with Him through Christ; we haven't really lost them but are only separated until we join them again. Our God is faithful to perform what He has promised.
3hearts

#2190860 - 12/01/13 08:45 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: WiseBuff]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Sand Tiger, I am very sorry to hear of your loss. It is wonderful that you were able to give the gift of music for the service. I am glad that you had the comfort of so many friends.

I am in Missouri from Thanksgiving through Christmas visiting with my Mother and brother. I am fortunate in that I am playing a really nice digital piano here, a Kawai CA65. I really like it! So, I am able to keep up my practice during my visit. I get up very early (I am on Swiss time anyway) and practice with headphones for a couple of hours before my Mom wakes up. That way my practicing does not interfere with my visit. So, I have continued to play every single day, and with any luck will have a perfect MOYD this year. I play Christmas carols for the family in the evening as well. So, it is a win-win!

#2190917 - 12/01/13 11:07 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

So sorry to hear your news, Sand Tiger.
Our thoughts are with you.

Page 191 of 227 < 1 2 ... 189 190 191 192 193 ... 226 227 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (ajames, Art_Vandelay, AndresD, Almaviva, anotherscott, 37 invisible), 1825 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75479 Members
42 Forums
156060 Topics
2291602 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Remembering what to play
by kipale
20 minutes 29 seconds ago
Time to change teacher?
by AndresD
Today at 09:34 AM
Adjusting Sound During Restringing
by BillJZ
Today at 09:05 AM
My fingers know what my brain has forgotten
by PatrickBl
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Fully-Rebuilt Pianos Versus New Pianos
by Paul678
Yesterday at 08:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission