Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2188965 - 11/26/13 10:57 PM Debussy - I'lse Joyeuse
Rob00996 Offline

Here is some Debussy. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

https://app.box.com/s/z3ezef3qrzvt67n9yeam

#2189816 - 11/28/13 08:35 PM Re: Debussy - I'lse Joyeuse [Re: Rob00996]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Sounded good to me. smile

#2189853 - 11/28/13 10:08 PM Re: Debussy - I'lse Joyeuse [Re: Rob00996]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Bravo. Very impressive !!!!! thumb

#2190003 - 11/29/13 09:38 AM Re: Debussy - I'lse Joyeuse [Re: Rob00996]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi, Rob! I especially liked several items in this presentation -- a strong rhythmic statement in the first section, which for me is very Spanish-sounding; the very clear articulation in the subsequent material, retaining the dancelike character; the meticulous attention to directives in the score, IMO very important for Debussy. My only criticism is that the presentation feels a little TOO literal, somewhat over-controlled -- particularly in the "warm" melodic section and the subsequent amplified restatement leading into the climax, I think it needs, well, more unbridled joy in the mix. But -- a very solid performance, and thanks for sharing it!

#2190042 - 11/29/13 11:17 AM Re: Debussy - I'lse Joyeuse [Re: Rob00996]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Okay, for starters, for all of you Urtext freaks, there is no rest at the end of measure #1 or measure #4. If anything, Debussy was known for playing through rests, but I never heard of him inserting one where it did not previously exist.

The fermata means that you can stretch out the trill per "Quasi una candenza," like it says at the top. It don't mean stop.

Secondly, this piece, which was written for his lover, is for all practical purposes a tone poem which is rich in visual imagery. The autograph of this work actually has little love notes in the margins that he wrote to Ms. Bardac, while he was still married to the first Mrs. Debussy.

The piece supposedly sold 10,000 copies in six months when word of all this got out. That, and Mrs. Debussy shot herself in the chest, and lived, when she found out about the affair.

However, this particular performance is very one dimensional. As the saying goes in music school: everyone plays this piece, but very few people play it well.

So, as an example, I once again list a link to what is often considered one of the best performances of this work, which shows the storytelling nature of this piece. Each section has its own individual character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeBZT5_iEeA

#2190044 - 11/29/13 11:23 AM Re: Debussy - I'lse Joyeuse [Re: Louis Podesta]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Louis Podesta

However, this particular performance is very one dimensional. As the saying goes in music school: everyone plays this piece, but very few people play it well.

So, as an example, I once again list a link to what is often considered one of the best performances of this work.

You disapprove? I'm shocked! Shocked I say!

#2190117 - 11/29/13 02:11 PM Re: Debussy - I'lse Joyeuse [Re: Louis Podesta]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

So, as an example, I once again list a link to what is often considered one of the best performances of this work, which shows the storytelling nature of this piece. Each section has its own individual character.

Of course the Horowitz rendition is going to have more brilliance, depth and variety. He was arguably the greatest pianist of the 20th century. The OP is most likely a student. His playing is solid. Certainly there are some things he's overlooked in the score - and most likely, the longer he lives with this work (he only started learning it last June) the more he will discover and be able to convey.

You've mentioned that you're currently working on this piece. Hopefully you'll be able to share your own recording with us in the future. smile

Edited by carey (11/29/13 02:11 PM)

#2190126 - 11/29/13 02:47 PM Re: Debussy - I'lse Joyeuse [Re: Rob00996]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

As a matter of fact, I have always felt a special kinship with this composer starting back in 1971 when I man by the name of Jack Roberts taught me "La fille aux cheveux de lin." It usually takes me very little time to learn one of Debussy's works, however "L'isle joyeue" has turned out to be the exception.

The reason is that every section paints a different picture in the listener's mind. Starting in the left hand in measure #7, and continuing throughout, he uses a figure in the left hand that most people play wrong. Even Dorothy Taubman in one of her master classes taught a student to play it with a Spanish rhythm.

In that this man ran off to the Isle of Jersey with his girlfriend, this figure mimics the soft crashing of the waves against the shoreline. He has a rolled 16th note figure leading into two consecutive staccato eighth notes the first time, and then he has them tied the second time. Anyone who has watched ocean waves sees an initial strong wave immediately following by a softer one. That is why I half pedal the first one with a slightly louder sound, and then fully pedal the second one with a softer dynamic.

Mini-dissertation being over, this type of imagery throughout, coupled with the overwhelming sexual nature of this piece makes it horrifically difficult. That is if you want to get it right and achieve what the composer was trying to get across, in my opinion.

Everyone uses the word climax in conjunction with music, but as far I know Claude Debussy is the first composer for the piano to actually pull it off in the last four measures of this piece, literally!

#2190149 - 11/29/13 04:05 PM Re: Debussy - I'lse Joyeuse [Re: Louis Podesta]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

As a matter of fact, I have always felt a special kinship with this composer starting back in 1971 when I man by the name of Jack Roberts taught me "La fille aux cheveux de lin."

That same year, Roberts had me working on Bach, Mozart, Brahms, Beethoven and Chopin. Sometimes I wish we'd been able to tackle a little Debussy or Ravel. smile

Quote:
Mini-dissertation being over, this type of imagery throughout, coupled with the overwhelming sexual nature of this piece makes it horrifically difficult. That is if you want to get it right and achieve what the composer was trying to get across, in my opinion.

I doubt anyone here is going to argue with you about the "horrifically difficult" part !! grin

Edited by carey (11/29/13 04:05 PM)

#2192235 - 12/04/13 01:22 AM Re: Debussy - I'lse Joyeuse [Re: Rob00996]
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
A very good performance.
I suggest you correct the spelling in the thread title and the audio file name.

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mason & Hamlin- The Skinny?
by Miguel Rey
09/23/14 09:55 PM
crazy fingers, or mind of their own
by Barry1963
09/23/14 09:52 PM
Request opinion YC G-175
by ivoryguy36
09/23/14 08:31 PM
"Break Free" by Ariana Grande on Piano
by Zach Evans
09/23/14 06:37 PM
V-Grand delivery on Friday!
by TonyB
09/23/14 06:36 PM
Who's Online
126 registered (Barry1963, accordeur, ando, AEMontoya, 36 invisible), 1390 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76297 Members
42 Forums
157717 Topics
2316684 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission