Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 213 of 225 < 1 2 ... 211 212 213 214 215 ... 224 225 >
Topic Options
#2181178 - 11/12/13 04:38 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi, glad to see that this thread is alive an well. It's been a very long time since I posted. I recently had some time to actually practice straight ahead jazz... but lately when I play is I get this "been there, done that" feel. I guess It's hard to get inspired about playing.

Edited by etcetra (11/13/13 01:29 AM)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2181316 - 11/12/13 10:35 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
etc. I can't get to it. its telling me to log in.

#2181321 - 11/12/13 10:52 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Etcetera, you've got to put the share link instead...

Random thoughts ---

I haven't been getting much practice lately. At least not like before. And I miss many days of practice. But strangely enough, I get back on the instrument and I can see regular improvement still.

About the only thing different is that in my minds eye, I'm thinking of things I'd like to change and for whatever reason, it's happening without needing to practice it extensively. Of course, I'm still always gigging but that's not really practice.

Anyway, it's really interesting what's occurring. I'd rather get the practice of course but time isn't on my side right now.

#2181340 - 11/12/13 11:39 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Edited by etcetra (11/13/13 01:26 AM)

#2181344 - 11/12/13 11:58 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: etcetra]
The Wind Offline

Originally Posted By: etcetra
sorry about that, here's the link

Autumn Leaves
https://app.box.com/s/mxwitop1rp4ushy55wue

Blues Block Chords
https://app.box.com/s/qcjk8xuxkvym1bekzinm

Had a listen. Is it me or is the keyboard player playing a hair fast on Autumn leaves and then a second slow on the Blues block. He is rushing and not playing in the pocket. It doesn't sound in sync, like the rhythm section is trying to catch up. If you guys are just an amateur band playing for fun then it's understandable. Keep at it.

#2181346 - 11/13/13 12:08 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: The Wind]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think part of the delay you are talking about may be coming from the program i am using (Ableton Live). I am putting abersold track on one track and playing keyboard(midi controller) on another track it on my computer, and I am noticing slowdowns/speedup as I play. sometimes it's very noticeable, other times it's hard to tell if it's me or if the tracks are really out of sync.

This one I did on the keyboard with the backing track from another audio source.
https://app.box.com/shared/n1l1scrx6n

and solo kb
https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_390194336

Just to be clear, these are not live recordings with actual bands, they are just stuff I did while practicing at home with abersolds or backing tracks I've made.

Edited by etcetra (11/13/13 01:11 AM)

#2181352 - 11/13/13 12:38 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
The Wind Offline

yah that could be it. didn't realize it was backing tracks. that's probably the "rushing" that I hear. it's not perfectly in sync. If I just listen to your playing and tap the beat then it's in time, but the bass does sound off.

#2181358 - 11/13/13 01:03 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: The Wind]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: The Wind
yah that could be it. didn't realize it was backing tracks. that's probably the "rushing" that I hear. it's not perfectly in sync. If I just listen to your playing and tap the beat then it's in time, but the bass does sound off.

Hmm I've had this suspicion about tracks being out of sync.. I guess I'll have to use ditch the midi controller and go back to using keyboard from different audio source. I am glad I've put it to the test here. I also did sped up the backing tracks like 20 clicks too.

I guess I've gotten used to it, and told myself to just keep my own time playing(after all, it's the sort of stuff you've gotta do on gigs somtimes). Don't get me wrong, I do have problem with rhythm tendency to rush and I am doing a lot of rhythmic stuff during the "autmn leaves" solo, but at least while I was soloing, I was pretty sure of where I was rhythmically most of the time

anyways thanks for the feedback.

Edited by etcetra (11/13/13 01:08 AM)

#2181360 - 11/13/13 01:13 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
The Wind Offline

are you playing with the backing track at the same time or just adding the audio in afterwards?

Cause if it's recorded together you'd be able to hear that something is off. I mean honestly I can barely listen to it. the backing track is not that good, I can't hear the drummer on the 2 and 4 and the bass notes aren't precisely on the beat. add in the delay of your playing and it's just grating.

the last track sunflower sounds much better rhythmically. you are playing with the drumbeat and it's clear where the accents are.

#2181364 - 11/13/13 01:22 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: The Wind]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

are you playing with the backing track at the same time or just adding the audio in afterwards?

Cause if it's recorded together you'd be able to hear that something is off. I mean honestly I can barely listen to it. the backing track is not that good, I can't hear the drummer on the 2 and 4 and the bass notes aren't precisely on the beat. add in the delay of your playing and it's just grating.

the last track sunflower sounds much better rhythmically. you are playing with the drumbeat and it's clear where the accents are.

I used different methods for the two recording. Sunflower, I had the backing tracks on my computer and I recorded live with an actual keyboard, so there shouldn't be any problem there.

The out-of-sync-ness on other tracks seem to happen in different places. Sometimes I hear it while I am playing, sometimes it doesn't sound like a problem until I recorded the whole thing and play it back(so post-processing issue). I am not well-versed in these programs so chances are I am probably not doing it right.

anyways I am going to take down the recording. No point posting something when there is noticeable technical issues with it.

Edited by etcetra (11/13/13 01:27 AM)

#2182160 - 11/14/13 08:12 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted By: jazzwee
I haven't been getting much practice lately. At least not like before.

Between sitting at the computer scoring for bigband as well as symphonic wind orchestra and cooking dinner for my kids it's been not a gig or jam in sight. But I must that thanks to the Aebersold backing tracks I've managed to get some playing done. There's some excellent playing in the drums and bass!

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#2182322 - 11/14/13 01:42 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: chrisbell]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: chrisbell
I haven't been getting much practice lately. At least not like before.

Between sitting at the computer scoring for bigband as well as symphonic wind orchestra and cooking dinner for my kids it's been not a gig or jam in sight. But I must that thanks to the Aebersold backing tracks I've managed to get some playing done. There's some excellent playing in the drums and bass!

That's too bad. No regular Jam around you? I happen to run the jam so I'm guaranteed playtime at least twice a month smile Maybe you need to start the jam yourself.

My minimum live playing is at least 4x per month.

Well at least your brain is occupied with music so it's probably still good.

Now one unique thing is that I got a call for a solo piano gig. I haven't done those in awhile. However, informally, I always play solo piano as a warmup before the band starts so I suppose it's not much of a concern.

Even though I don't sit on a piano as long, I still do those 5 finger down exercises on a flat surface while I work. I do it constantly so it must help.

#2182649 - 11/15/13 05:04 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
The Wind Offline

hey wee, the solo gig sounds fun. I'm trying to get some lined up for the holiday season. Record the gig if you can and post some up.

#2182651 - 11/15/13 05:09 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
The Wind Offline

For those of you with some time here's a cool Herbie Hancock interview I found. It is on Dutch TV.

He plays a a medley of Cantaloupe Island and Maiden V, and also Sonrisa at the end which I quite liked.

http://www.npo.nl/kunststof-tv/04-11-2012/NPS_1207712

#2182652 - 11/15/13 05:10 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
The Wind Offline

Also, it's quite funny when the other guest, a Brazilian singer asks Herbie to do a duo record! He says no jokingly then yes of course. I"ll try to find the exact time when it happens.

#2182653 - 11/15/13 05:12 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
The Wind Offline

Go to 19:00 for the funny exchange.

#2183186 - 11/16/13 01:49 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: The Wind]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

hey wee, the solo gig sounds fun. I'm trying to get some lined up for the holiday season. Record the gig if you can and post some up.

LOL - probably not. The piano isn't likely to be tuned.

I'll do it on my own piano though. Actually I've been practicing solo piano the last few days just to see if I can do it. But I'm comfortable.

I haven't done a solo piano gig in 2 years I think. So I had to retrain my left hand to do those bass notes. LOL.

#2184500 - 11/18/13 12:37 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
The Wind Offline

New topic: Secondary Dominants and Left hand chords.

For some songs there's lots of 2-5-1 key changes. If you are playing solo piano what would your approach be for left hand chords?

Say the ballad "I Fall in Love too Easily". Key is C major. there are 2-5-1 in A-, E+, D-. I have just been using the standard chord playing the bass note. My brain can't think that fast of weird voicings that mesh well.

#2184705 - 11/18/13 05:27 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
If want to add chords between those that are written, I like the system one pianist taught me: to get to a target chord, you can add the big three before most chords:
1. The dominant of the target chord.
2. The tritone sub of the dominant, which is the dominant a half step up from the target chord.
3. A fully diminished chord a half step below the target chord. This is really a rootless dominant with a flat 9.

This system has worked well for me. I use 2 and 3 mostly.

#2185194 - 11/19/13 03:10 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: The Wind]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

New topic: Secondary Dominants and Left hand chords.

For some songs there's lots of 2-5-1 key changes. If you are playing solo piano what would your approach be for left hand chords?

Say the ballad "I Fall in Love too Easily". Key is C major. there are 2-5-1 in A-, E+, D-. I have just been using the standard chord playing the bass note. My brain can't think that fast of weird voicings that mesh well.

Are you talking here of voicings? Subs? Or what to do with the LH?

Which I should ask anyway... What are you doing with the LH? Are you playing a stride style? Two-handed voicings? Occasional bass note + rootless? Walking bass?

#2185524 - 11/20/13 07:14 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
The Wind Offline

Are you talking here of voicings? Subs? Or what to do with the LH?

Which I should ask anyway... What are you doing with the LH? Are you playing a stride style? Two-handed voicings? Occasional bass note + rootless? Walking bass?

hey wee, I am talking specifically about chord voicings. Like say a 2-5-1 in C major. The chord progression is 2-5-1 in A-, then E-, then back to C major.

Take the A-, I would play the bass root of each chord, and some type of shell voicing. so, B, E, A . F#,B E.... What I'm getting at is a smooth transition so my left hand isn't jumping everywhere.

I would need to work out the actual fingering and practice the movement first.

Talking in general, I find there's basic voicings I tend to use for the left hand, nothing too fancy.

#2186491 - 11/21/13 05:57 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I thought I'd share a little what I've been up to lately; arranging and orchestrating some tunes, etc for symphonic wind orchestra and piano trio (alas, not me on the piano) It's a professional orchestra, so I'm very lucky in getting some really heavy players.

Here's two excerpts from a Legrand medley (love his tunes, chords):
Excerpt one: https://app.box.com/s/b4of1t3j9t1e77rirrjd
Excerpt two: https://app.box.com/s/5czxts5rg487vs47lcuu

Another example. It's from a middle section of an original tune (its for the same concert as above; tomorrow evening actually . . . ).
The wood-winds play softly and the piano trio blows over these changes. C#m9 | DMaj7 | G#m11

https://app.box.com/s/qnru73oz35t19390f0a8

I can't describe what a blast it is to hear ones work performed live by some really bad players!

#2186978 - 11/22/13 05:04 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

No recordings Chris? Awesome work my friend.

#2186999 - 11/22/13 05:50 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Some music from last night. Unfortunately the keyboard is really bad in the mix. Pointed completely away from the recorder and the volume is too low as well.

Recordame
https://app.box.com/s/t17dgvd1ovnr2yrquzya

Just the Two of Us
https://app.box.com/s/ooutt54mtmtddq35nidu

#2187022 - 11/22/13 06:41 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks. Yeah, here's from tonights concert:

#2187024 - 11/22/13 06:43 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: chrisbell]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: chrisbell
Thanks. Yeah, here's from tonights concert:

Wow - BIG TIME STUFF! Impressive.

#2189031 - 11/27/13 02:45 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Just thinking that as I prepare for Christmas gigs that I don't do justice to tunes like Christmas Song. So hard to remember the changes (and different keys) just so you play it 3 times a year....

In any case, anyone have good Jazzy (good for soloing) Christmas tunes?

Christmas Time is Here is of course a given. Easy enough to play and great to blow over.

Gotta woodshed everything now. Never enough time for this since I always start too late.

#2189731 - 11/28/13 04:33 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Happy Thanksgiving to my internet jazz piano clan. Today I'm chef, although I might get to play some tunes tonight.

#2189899 - 11/28/13 11:50 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Happy Thanksgiving to you too jjo.
Turkey + jazz is a good combo.

#2189939 - 11/29/13 03:24 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Yep I was the chef and then the entertainment. Double duty!

I was surprisingly able to turn a lot of Christmas Carols into some jazz numbers on solo piano so I got some woodshedding done too!

Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving!

Page 213 of 225 < 1 2 ... 211 212 213 214 215 ... 224 225 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
74 registered (AndrewJCW, BarryDMD, Al LaPorte, ando, Allard, 22 invisible), 1294 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156117 Topics
2292573 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How To Improve?
by Xagan
07/24/14 05:59 AM
Franz Liszt - Un Sospiro
by sislermi
07/24/14 02:42 AM
Need advice on buying a Yamaha Disklavier
by Lady
07/24/14 01:17 AM
Surge protection?
by TX-Bluebonnet
07/24/14 12:01 AM
Opening up an old Piano
by musicNow
07/23/14 11:11 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission