Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2189208 - 11/27/13 01:09 PM Sticking dampers, what to do???
TwoSnowflakes Offline
500 Post Club Member

I am quite certain I will not be able to get a piano tech out here before the end of the Thanksgiving weekend. But with the change in the weather, my recent tuning appears to have gone south, and what's more, several of the dampers now stick so that I can hear several notes half ringing long past releasing them, or as overtones to other notes when I play loudly because they never fully came down after I last played them.

I tried manipulating the particular dampers in question up and down to get them to move more freely, and it appears to have helped, but I'm guessing this isn't the end of it.

Is there something I can do or put in that little hole under the damper through which that little metal rod passes?

The piano is a 5'10" grand piano, it's new from April meaning this is its first winter so I'm sure there's lots of things it's going to work out for itself this year. I've never owned a new piano, so I'm taking this as it comes and being patient. I just can't quite ignore notes that are sustaining themselves too much.

I'm really kind of sad about the tuning. It sounded so great so such a short amount of time! However, I'm not getting near self-tuning my own piano with a ten foot pole.

I hope this isn't a harbinger of things to come. But my living room, while insulated nicely and generally not a bad room for my piano, certainly does experience temperature changes during the winter here in the Northeast US. Can't do anything about that.

What should I reasonably expect?
Grieg, Four Norwegian Dances, Op. 35

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2189220 - 11/27/13 01:21 PM Re: Sticking dampers, what to do??? [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Often, if you tap the damper or sostenuto pedals with your foot, the sticking damper will return. I would strongly advise against touching or manipulating the dampers manually for any reason, as they can be fussy, fragile, and you can make things worse.

I'll have the occasional damper on my Steinway become sticky in extremely humid weather in my less-than-optimally controlled office, and I know how frustrating it can be!
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2189225 - 11/27/13 01:27 PM Re: Sticking dampers, what to do??? [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
It depends on where it is sticking. There is not much you can do yourself, although I can suggest one thing. Try pumping the sostenuto pedal, in case that is the problem. The dampers should not move even slightly if the pedal is pumped while you are not playing any keys. If they do, pumping it should release them, and it should be inexpensive to fix.

If the problems are weather-related, and this is the first winter the piano has been through, this could be a warranty issue.

#2189230 - 11/27/13 01:34 PM Re: Sticking dampers, what to do??? [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
For the tuning, you've answered your own question: the change in the environment/weather is what affects your tuning. In part, being a new piano, it will benefit from extra tunings in the first few years. While twice per year is an average industry standard, manufacturers all recommend 3-4 per year.

That the dampers are sticking is also weather related. It's certainly evidence that the indoor environment changed enough to affect the felt and wood.

You may not be able to do anything about the outdoor weather, but you can moderate the indoor climate. Pay special attention to humidity levels. Temperature and humidity are closely related, but seasonal temperature swings cause fewer issues than humidity swings. Are there any point sources like a vent or fireplace in proximity to your instrument? You may want to investigate a Dampp-chaser system for your piano as an additional layer of protection.

Until you've made the environment stable, you should expect nuisance issues and tuning issues. There are also some services that can be more for preventative maintenance once the swings are minor.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2189286 - 11/27/13 04:11 PM Re: Sticking dampers, what to do??? [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
The tuning is probably unstable because the piano is still new. (I am assuming this given your purchase date). BDB's advice is good.

Some pianos suffer what I call "mystery sluggishness" where the notes work fine until after they have been played for an hour or two. The action centers tighten up from use. The only permanent repair I have found is to re-pin the flanges with new center pins.

#2189295 - 11/27/13 04:33 PM Re: Sticking dampers, what to do??? [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
SMHaley Offline

Loc: Seattle
I'll go a little further than Mr. Bennett. You may wish to get yourself one of these digital thermometer/humidity combination units (should you not have one already). While they may not be perfectly accurate it can give a good sense of the fluctuations and a rough idea of how far any swings are going. Having a stable humidity level is probably most critical. It is most likely that the situation is just fine and the break in is still taking place. But just to assure that is the case, keeping an eye on the indoor environment would be an excellent idea. Its one less thing for a technician to worry about and a Damp Chaser system may not be completely necessary.

As Mr. McMorrow pointed out this is a new piano (from this April). While we haven't been told what make of piano it is there is a reason most manufacturers say 4 tunings in the first year. Following that schedule it is coming due for its next tuning. Probably not a bad idea to brush up any regulation needs to allow for the winter shift as well as any further prep work (minor voicing, and certainly damper regulation).
Church Music Professional
Curator of instruments - Chancel Arts
Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single

#2189334 - 11/27/13 06:03 PM Re: Sticking dampers, what to do??? [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, guys, for the hints. The pedal pumping didn't really work. Pushing the damper on the main culprit verrrry gently to the side seems to have centered it adequately, but it and other notes are still a little wonky.

It's pretty humid here right now. Northeast is getting a LOT of rain, unusually so.

There is a fireplace in the room, and I did light it for a short spell on Monday. On the other hand, we have a pretty sophisticated climate control system for the whole house that manages humidity as well.

I have an old broken metronome that has a temperature/humidity function. I think the temp/humidity sensor part still works. I'll check it out and see what the current level is, and also if there are any particularly huge swings. Both in temperature and humidity.

It's a low midrange, non-mass-produced piano that is sufficiently well regarded on this board and elsewhere that I am not at great risk for having bought a lemon, so I am not upset or panicked or anything. I presume that whatever is going on is either a) normal, or b) capable of being corrected if there's something wrong.
Grieg, Four Norwegian Dances, Op. 35

#2189422 - 11/27/13 10:12 PM Re: Sticking dampers, what to do??? [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
S. Phillips Offline

Loc: Forte Farm, Lexington, KY
If pushing the damper to the side corrects the issue, the problem on a new piano is that frequently the damper guide rail screws loosen in the dry weather. This can cause all the dampers in a section to move ever so slightly to one side. The fix is easy but since it is new, just call the dealer and have them send someone who services their pianos regularly come take a look. This is not a big problem. Dampers are touchy though and even a slight push in the wrong direction can bend the wire and make it much worse.
2 Steinway Os, Steinway B & C, C. Bechstein A
Phillips Piano Tech

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
104 registered (angga888, antony, Ashish, Anne'sson, accordeur, 29 invisible), 1261 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251505 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission