Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2189341 - 11/27/13 06:37 PM ASIO vs. ASIO4ALL
Peter Sivak Offline

Loc: Slovakia
Hello,
I have "Realtek high definition audio" soundcard and I use ASIO4ALL driver.

I googled, that if my soundcard supported ASIO driver natively, I could get lower latencies when playing on my stage piano through computer (VST program).

So if I want lower latencies during playing, should I buy external sound card (which I connect through the USB port to my computer) which supports ASIO driver? Do I understand it well (sorry, I am novice in this area)?

If so, which external soundcards do you recommend me to buy?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2189405 - 11/27/13 09:26 PM Re: ASIO vs. ASIO4ALL [Re: Peter Sivak]
Psychonaut Offline

Depends on your needs and your budget. RME makes a superb USB audio interface called the Babyface, but it's expensive. You might want to look at M-Audio, and check out their audio cards. I have read that USB interfaces on the low end can have latency issues, and you might not end up with much better than you have now. There are also PCI, PCIe and firewire options, if your rig supports this.

What is your latency now?

#2189485 - 11/28/13 02:14 AM Re: ASIO vs. ASIO4ALL [Re: Peter Sivak]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
I found ASIO4all gave me better latency with Realtek than both an M-audio and an Alesis card that I tried. In fact, ASIO4all gets me down to 64 samples latency on Galaxy D piano - that's the lowest setting for the driver and it's perfectly clean. I was getting unreliable popping (usually ok but touch and go) at around 128-192 using the interfaces. YMMV.

#2189564 - 11/28/13 09:38 AM Re: ASIO vs. ASIO4ALL [Re: dire tonic]
Peter Sivak Offline

Originally Posted By: dire tonic
I found ASIO4all gave me better latency with Realtek than both an M-audio and an Alesis card that I tried. In fact, ASIO4all gets me down to 64 samples latency on Galaxy D piano - that's the lowest setting for the driver and it's perfectly clean. I was getting unreliable popping (usually ok but touch and go) at around 128-192 using the interfaces. YMMV.

Hmm, interesting, I thought that whatever external sound card will have lower latency.

#2189565 - 11/28/13 09:47 AM Re: ASIO vs. ASIO4ALL [Re: Psychonaut]
Peter Sivak Offline

Originally Posted By: Psychonaut

Now I have latency of 14.7 ms (Processing: 2.7 ms, Output: 12.0 ms), but its so small because I increased sample rate from 44100 to 192000 Hz (in ASIO settings I set 512 samples). I tried to play superfast with this settings, as many notes simultaneously as I can (max 256), and I was watching processor usage, it went maximally to 40%. So sample rate of 192000 Hz decreased latency drastically and it helped me to put latency to "real-time" level.

So maybe I should stay at this level with my integrated sound card.

P.S.: Lets say I am now satisfied with the latency, but can external sound card improve sound quality?

#2189570 - 11/28/13 09:59 AM Re: ASIO vs. ASIO4ALL [Re: Peter Sivak]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peter Sivak

Hmm, interesting, I thought that whatever external sound card will have lower latency.

how many samples is your ASIO4all buffer size set to?

edit; sorry, I've just noticed above you've set it to 512 samples. Have you tried reducing this, in stages, all the way down to 64?

Edited by dire tonic (11/28/13 10:12 AM)

#2189578 - 11/28/13 10:28 AM Re: ASIO vs. ASIO4ALL [Re: Peter Sivak]
Psychonaut Offline

Originally Posted By: Psychonaut

Now I have latency of 14.7 ms (Processing: 2.7 ms, Output: 12.0 ms), but its so small because I increased sample rate from 44100 to 192000 Hz (in ASIO settings I set 512 samples). I tried to play superfast with this settings, as many notes simultaneously as I can (max 256), and I was watching processor usage, it went maximally to 40%. So sample rate of 192000 Hz decreased latency drastically and it helped me to put latency to "real-time" level.

So maybe I should stay at this level with my integrated sound card.

P.S.: Lets say I am now satisfied with the latency, but can external sound card improve sound quality?

You might get a better signal-to-noise ratio with an external card. For playing a DP, I have no way of knowing whether you would notice this or not in your computer environment. Integrated sound chips generally sound good enough, IMO, if you have decent speakers, are not worried about latency (as when listening to a CD), and have no background processes running that interfere with the audio output.

Choosing an audio interface is always a hot topic in digital audio workstation (DAW) forums, and finding the best one for maximizing the efficiency of your other hardware can be challenging. I had great luck with an M-Audio Delta 66 a few years ago, but this is the older PCI standard, and it may or may not work on newer computers with PCIe and "bridged" PCI slots that are not native. Me, I'm biased against USB interfaces (there are a few high-end ones that have excellent drivers and spec out well in terms of latency, such as the RME one mentioned above), because USB data is transferred in packets, rather than as an uninterrupted stream, which is why I went to FW on my last DAW build, and got the Steinberg MR816. I also made sure I got a motherboard that did NOT have native firewire support, and purchased a dedicated PCIe Texas Instruments FW card to run it.

If I were in your position, I would want to get the round-trip latency to at or below 10ms, around which point the response time sounds instantaneous to the human ear.

But so much has to do with your computer's CPU and memory, how well the drivers of your interface behave, etc. On many business class laptops, for instance, you can't render glitch free audio without disabling the onboard wifi while you play...

... Here's a link to a music store's buying guide, which, while commercial, gives a basic rundown of the kinds of factors to consider:

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/audio-interface-buying-guide/

#2189610 - 11/28/13 11:39 AM Re: ASIO vs. ASIO4ALL [Re: dire tonic]
Peter Sivak Offline

how many samples is your ASIO4all buffer size set to?

edit; sorry, I've just noticed above you've set it to 512 samples. Have you tried reducing this, in stages, all the way down to 64?

Yes I tried reduced it to 64 which decrease latency from 14.7 to 11.7 ms, so not too much. But the problem was when I played many notes, sometimes I heard crackles and pops, so I put it back to 512 samples (256 was also ok). But I said later, that with latency of 14.7 ms, which I have now, I am very satisfied, I feel the piano like in realtime.

#2189935 - 11/29/13 02:54 AM Re: ASIO vs. ASIO4ALL [Re: Peter Sivak]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Whether or not an unaided PC (using ASIO4all) can equal an external soundcard on latency comes down to PC/laptop performance and workload. Up until a few years ago it was in the balance and a soundcard was usually the better option. I suspect most of the modern multicore processors are good enough so any PC with an uncluttered system drive and an i5 or better should be able to run a sampled piano close to the minimum 64 samples latency that ASIO4all allows.

#2190055 - 11/29/13 11:39 AM Re: ASIO vs. ASIO4ALL [Re: dire tonic]
NormB Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
I have Realtek built into my motherboard, and use Ivory II and sometimes Truepianos to play for myself. I spent my whole adult life with acoustic grands and wanted something that would compensate a little for their loss. What I developed through trial and error to get reliability and low latency was to use an industrial strength desktop with the samples on a dedicated ssd, ASIO4all, an optical out to an external DSP and then to an audiophile integrated amp and large DYI three way speakers. Initially I used an E-MU 4040 usb, solely as a DSP. Using an optical out through trial and error this proved to be reliable with acceptable latency. You probably could pick one up for $100 or so used. I would however not try to use one of these using USB digital input and Windows 7 or 8. I don't think you ever will get it to work reliably. Optical input works without a hitch.

While the above setup worked just fine there are some profound limitations in using the 0404 with Windows 7. Accordingly, I recently abandoned the E-MU 4040 in favor of an audiophile DSP, a Yulong DA8. Sonically better for sure. As for latency, I usually run 256 samples and 5.3 ms latency. The E-Mu 0404 also handled this without a hitch. The Yulong DAC can happily run at 120 samples and 2.5 ms latency using an optical input, but is not happy at 64 samples; these are when running at 96kHz. I have not yet tried it with a sampled piano using USB input. The Yulong is pretty pricey, and it probably is overkill. There are a host of good USB DSPs in the $300-500 range now that should work well for your needs.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anything better than the Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
10/24/14 04:49 AM
Is A443 banned definitively?
by Olek
10/24/14 04:01 AM
Ritmuller Grand Pianos - Help!
by Mike RSA
10/24/14 03:56 AM
J.D.Grandt Bass Strings Opinions Please
by chernobieff
10/23/14 11:48 PM
Which Electronic Sounds & Feels Most Like Real?
by MinstrelandMuse
10/23/14 11:47 PM
Who's Online
61 registered (barbaram, beeboss, AZNpiano, angga888, Anne H, 14 invisible), 1071 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76633 Members
42 Forums
158463 Topics
2327031 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission