2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 10 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand)

As promised, an unboxing of our P105. Got the white one from Kraft Music with bag, free shipping, no tax, ~$530 USD. Got the KS7150 stand from B&H Photo Video, free shipping, no tax, ~$50 USD.

[Linked Image]
Figure 01. Here is the box on our den floor. Don't put your foot on it! I think that's on there as a warning to UPS, as the box our NX arrived in a couple of years ago looked like someone had kicked it in (perhaps in a jealous rage?).

[Linked Image]
Figure 02. Box opened. Very nicely packed, I can't really complain (about the packing anyway). Wall wart and pedal are there off to the right.

[Linked Image]
Figure 03. DP removed, the flat box in the bottom holds the manual and music rest.

[Linked Image]
Figure 04. Stuff in the box: pedal, wall wart, music rest. Not shown is the manual. Pedal is cheap 100% plastic, but at least it is hinged and has a rubber bottom (I've seen worse).

[Linked Image]
Figure 05. An underside view with the bag behind. This is a very interesting view IMO because you get to see the speakers, and you also see the quite deep ruts in the plastic that make the bottom rigid in order to support the key mechanism. This unfortunately also raises the key height (more on that later) and prevents you somewhat from using a stand that might obscure the speakers. On the plus side, the ruts are natural hand-holds that make it easy to pick up.

[Linked Image]
Figure 06. The "bundle" bag. It's really not bad. I haven't stuck the P105 in there yet but it looks like it will easily fit without swimming around too much. The outer pockets have two compartments, too bad they aren't a little wider as the music rest doesn't quite fit in there.

[Linked Image]
Figure 07. Here they are, together at last. The width of the stand is adjustable, and this is as wide as I can make it without obscuring the speakers underneath. Seems pretty stable, though a bit too high (see below).

[Linked Image]
Figure 08. The KS7150 feet can extend quite far out, and if you undo the thumbscrews most of the way they can go quite far in. Unfortunately the legs themselves will only shorten things so far - I think they are a bit too long as the stand is at 25" with the legs all the way in (upper left).

Since I didn't think we would ever need the stand any higher than the lowest it could go, I went out to the local hardware store and bought 4 1" rubber feet, along with some 1" fender washers (middle). Placing a fender washer in the bottom of the foot before installing it (right) should keep the leg tube from eventually piercing through.

[Linked Image]
Figure 09. The leg inserts and thumbscrews. 2+ lbs of stuff I won't need to schlepp anywhere. Stuck them back in the cardboard stand box for safekeeping in the attic.

[Linked Image]
Figure 10. Relative key heights for our RD-700NX on the Quick-Lok W550 stand (left), our Young Chang grand piano (middle), and P105 on the KS7150 stand (right). The P105 keys are really high due to the plastic rut stiffeners on the bottom. Too bad the KS7150 doesn't go lower.

Epilog
Speakers really don't sound too bad, especially for the price. A subwoofer would help fill out the low end.

Has anyone experienced the damper pedal suddenly reversing sense while playing? I think this happened today. Uh oh.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the write-up and pics dewster!

What are your/your wife's plans for this new board, may I ask?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
S
This is the piano studio of the 21st century. I am commencing Project 'Gyro', a mission to see how well Beethoven's most difficult piano sonatas can be played on the glorious P-105. I am starting with Sonata No. 13 and will post a video.

[Linked Image]

Note the ultra modern stand which is much too short in length and the piano hangs about 13 inches off each end.

[Linked Image]

Unfortunately, the Williams Overture was a tragic failure and is residing in a landfill as we speak. Gyro's vision could not be realized but I think the P-105 will succeed. In fact, I am predicting that Roland will be in such a panic over the spectacular capabilities of the P-105 that they will ship me a V-Grand free of charge to stop the embarrassment.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I look forward to it. cool To dewster, congrats on your wife´s piano. I've read the P105 is a step up from P95, which was in turn a step up from the P85, which was my former piano.

Last edited by TheodorN; 11/27/13 08:14 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
What are your/your wife's plans for this new board, may I ask?

Knock around board, vacations and such, and I suppose to show her students who don't have a DP something on the low end.

Hopefully she'll be able to talk the tiny church she plays keyboard at on Sundays into buying one, then she'll be able to practice at home on the same thing she plays out.

I believe a larger sample set and better sympathetic resonance would have made this a must-have board for a lot of people. As it is it is simply a bit better than other offerings at this price, which isn't saying a whole lot. And it's pretty light, which IS saying a whole lot. smile

Very good post. Very complete in details. Typical from you, dewster wink

I only hear about changing polarity on pedals while turning on the DP. But never while playing.

I am sure there is something you can do to reduce the height of the stand. Nothing that a chainsaw can't fix laugh

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100
E
E
Dewster,
I've never had a pedal polarity reversal during play. As Daniel mentions, you do have to be careful not to press the pedal at turn on.

I have 3 stands (2 "X", and an Onstage table stand similiar to the one that you received with your kb) and gave up on trying to get them low enough and purchased the L85 stand. It's just right for the P105, but it's not very good looking and probably won't be handy for gigs (the stand attaches to the kb with 4 screws).

BTW, I didn't realize the 105 had speakers on the bottom and marveled at the nice sound it produced from what I thought were only the 2 small speakers on top. Didn't notice the bottom speakers until I got underneath the kb to attach the stand screws.

I'm ok with my 105, the action could be better and the tone could be brighter but for the weight and the price I'm well satified.

Last edited by Edtek; 11/27/13 10:50 PM.

Ed (Out in the West Texas town of El Paso)
Yamaha P255
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Daniel Richter
I only hear about changing polarity on pedals while turning on the DP. But never while playing.

Originally Posted by Edtek
I've never had a pedal polarity reversal during play. As Daniel mentions, you do have to be careful not to press the pedal at turn on.

I understand the polarity recognition at power-up (to be able to use any pedal regardless of polarity). We turned it on and my wife was playing for a few minutes, then the polarity suddenly reversed. This has happened in the past with the (pretty much a toy, though it wasn't marketed as such) Yamaha my wife plays at church, and requires a power cycle to clear. The P105 takes longer to power up before it makes sounds, so it is potentially more problematic. I'll certainly post again if it happens again.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by StarvingLion
I am predicting that Roland will be in such a panic over the spectacular capabilities of the P-105 that they will ship me a V-Grand free of charge to stop the embarrassment.

Best of luck with your prediction!

Hi Dewster!

White is expetacular!

....At least I've understood what mean the letter b after P105 ^^

good playing dewster!

-------------------------------------------------
www.youtube.com/enricopunzo
-------------------------------------------------
This is the piano studio of the 21st century. I am commencing Project 'Gyro', a mission to see how well Beethoven's most difficult piano sonatas can be played on the glorious P-105. I am starting with Sonata No. 13 and will post a video.

[Linked Image]

Note the ultra modern stand which is much too short in length and the piano hangs about 13 inches off each end.

[Linked Image]

Unfortunately, the Williams Overture was a tragic failure and is residing in a landfill as we speak. Gyro's vision could not be realized but I think the P-105 will succeed. In fact, I am predicting that Roland will be in such a panic over the spectacular capabilities of the P-105 that they will ship me a V-Grand free of charge to stop the embarrassment.

Waldsein and Pathetique. wanna hear them . . . .I attempted both on my ole CLP820. The difficulty was unfortunately, not with the piano. But I wouldn`t admit to it then . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by foster12
White is expetacular!

I think the white look is pretty nice too, probably better than the black, though it's harder to keep clean. For -$70 USD white looks great!

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member

StarvingLion, could you please start your own thread for your Project 'Gyro'?

I know I'm as guilty as anyone for semi-OT posting but, other than employing a P105, your project has nothing to do with this unboxing thread.

Gyro had his own unique opinions, but I don't recall him/her ever making another poster the butt of a joke.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
I think the white is elegant. If you do not plan on using a dust cover when this sits, just keep some moist wipes around and stay on top of the dust. A combination of moisture and dust, (and oil if the kitchen is close by), can create a layer of grime that is almost ink-like once you try to wipe it off if left to accumulate too long. It will still come off but it may need a stronger chemical and over time this could wear off lettering or accents.

It is unfortunate that Yamaha doesn't include the FC5 pedal with the P-105. They have a relatively decent build quality and weight. If I am not mistaken there seems to be a metal housing in its construction. You might as well buy the FC4 ($19 @ Amazon) or something comparable and skip the FC5 ($13 @ Amazon) if replacing this stock pedal, IMO.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by dewster
Figure 04. Stuff in the box: pedal, wall wart, music rest. Not shown is the manual. Pedal is cheap 100% plastic, but at least it is hinged and has a rubber bottom (I've seen worse).

Yeah, you should consider getting a better pedal. I bet your wife will appreciate a more realistic pedal. Unless she really is happy with that pedal?

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100
A
A
Hi Dewster, I dont want to rain on your parade but I hope you have a chance to play the ES100 before your return period is up on the P105. I recently bought a P105 and now regret after a month with it. I had a chance to play ES100 it it is such a cut above for short money for a portable, action and sound. [Action is soooo much better that alone is worth it.] I can't wait to purchase one soon. Im only telling you this because you seem to be a very advanced player. Hope Im helping and Im not jerking you around. Im almost embarrassed to say it but seriously, return it while you can.

We just got a P105 and - while the horrific looping, and to a lesser extent the extreme stretching, grate my auditory nerves into cole slaw - at 27 lbs it's very portable and the speakers aren't bad. Sympathetic resonance is almost non-existent / inaudible, so your pedaling technique will likely suffer

....and that too!

Last edited by Ashley2013; 11/28/13 10:48 PM.
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ashley2013
Im only telling you this because you seem to be a very advanced player. Hope Im helping and Im not jerking you around. Im almost embarrassed to say it but seriously, return it while you can.

My wife is the real piano player in the house (I made it through an adult method book years back, acoustic guitar is what I do best musically). The ES100 is 33 lbs, a bit more than I'd like to carry around. But I'll keep an eye out for one locally to try out if I can. Thanks!

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by o0Ampy0o
It is unfortunate that Yamaha doesn't include the FC5 pedal with the P-105. They have a relatively decent build quality and weight. If I am not mistaken there seems to be a metal housing in its construction. You might as well buy the FC4 ($19 @ Amazon) or something comparable and skip the FC5 ($13 @ Amazon) if replacing this stock pedal, IMO.

Originally Posted by Daniel Richter
Yeah, you should consider getting a better pedal. I bet your wife will appreciate a more realistic pedal. Unless she really is happy with that pedal?

We do have a better pedal, and intend to use that instead. Bought an FC5 a long time ago and never really used it. Bought a switchable polarity higher quality generic (M-Audio?) pedal that has gotten tons of use (and some repair). Thanks!

A
A
Im only telling you this because you seem to be a very advanced player. Hope Im helping and Im not jerking you around. Im almost embarrassed to say it but seriously, return it while you can.

My wife is the real piano player in the house (I made it through an adult method book years back, acoustic guitar is what I do best musically). The ES100 is 33 lbs, a bit more than I'd like to carry around. But I'll keep an eye out for one locally to try out if I can. Thanks!

You got what Im saying... just try it out if you can. I wish I had the chance to try the ES100 before I messed around with the P105 and PX350. Thats all. Now I see what I was missing

Last edited by Ashley2013; 11/28/13 11:31 PM.
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
You got what Im saying... just try it out if you can. I wish I had the chance to try the ES100 before I messed around with the P105 and PX350. Thats all. Now I see what I was missing

We have an RD-700NX in our studio, so I'm acutely aware of what is missing in the P105! wink

Looking at the manual, the voices are too fiddly to pick on the ES100 (it needs more dedicated voice buttons and/or some kind of display). I'm holding off on Kawai until (if/when) they offer something unlooped. HI just doesn't cut it for me.

The P105 is on knock-around duty, nothing too serious or demanding. For a primary DP I'd look elsewhere (and in the current market hold off for as long as I possibly could). The price and the weight are the primary selling features of the P105, though if the pedal polarity bug hits too often we'll dump it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission