2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Music teachers, beware. The feds are onto you. Better not try to raise the price of your lessons.

SEE URL:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303562904579224251626379422

D
D
Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. Wake up, people!!! And to those who are currently too afraid to speak out I can only say what I've been saying for the last few years "You think you're afraid now -- wait -- you have not seen anything yet!!!"

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Ugh! Thanks, Obama!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
That's not an article, it's from the opinion page. It is biased political commentary and frankly has no place in this forum. I request the topic be locked.

gotta go practice
M
M
So did it or did it not happen?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Read the last paragraph and see if you would trust anything in that op-ed opinion piece without verifying. Your BS detector should have pegged.

gotta go practice
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Michael, thanks for bringing this to our attention. While the paper is editorially conservative, it has proven, over the years, to be highly accurate in rooting out government power abuses, which this is obviously one. Members of Guild and MTAC, you should probably be up-channeling this to your organization's leadership.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA

John, wouldn't it be better for people to up-channel the info via MTNA rather than such an editorial? I found this, for example:
http://spamta.webs.com/Minutes/SPAMTA%20Business%20Meeting%20September%2011%202013.pdf

It seemed much more factual.

A
A
This issue has also been reported in "The Music Trades". It has occurred and is similar to actions taken many years ago against the Piano Technicians Guild. So like it or not, this is really happening and calling it a "biased opinion" won't make it go away.

M
M
Originally Posted by anrpiano
This issue has also been reported in "The Music Trades". It has occurred and is similar to actions taken many years ago against the Piano Technicians Guild. So like it or not, this is really happening and calling it a "biased opinion" won't make it go away.
Exactly. I had looked at other sources and it verified this, including MTNA's own meeting minutes:

http://www.mtna.org/media/61062/0713_MTNAMinutes.pdf

Whether or not you like the source, this article is accurate.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring

John, wouldn't it be better for people to up-channel the info via MTNA rather than such an editorial?

If MTNA informs other music organizations, they might be accused of restraint of trade, so better the members do the informing.

In re the Wisconsin Music Teacher's Association, it seems to me that Strassel's article puts flesh on the WMTA minutes.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

John, wouldn't it be better for people to up-channel the info via MTNA rather than such an editorial?

If MTNA informs other music organizations, they might be accused of restraint of trade, so better the members do the informing.

Ok, then MTNA members. That is a good idea. But using credible information rather than sensationalist journalism. The articles starts with the implication that there is a rule against raising fees. Can you imagine somebody believing this, and then complaining about the wrong thing? They would look foolish.

In re the Wisconsin Music Teacher's Association, it seems to me that Strassel's article puts flesh on the WMTA minutes.

It twists and confuses - it's more like adding a Hallowe'en costume. It begins with the sentence about rate raising and informs the reader that music teachers charge between $5.00 and $30.00/hour. It stresses that most MTNA members are women making a modest income at home. Why stress women, and what is being implied by that? The wife making a bit of extra money or woman with no marketable skills? Men and women, trained professionals, have studios in their homes, like many skilled entrepreneurs. It's insulting, but meant to garner sympathy.

There is something that happened. But it does not involved restrictions to raising fees. I am suggesting that people get informed at the source, and not base themselves on a meandering journalistic piece. You want to be properly informed when addressing something like this. smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The articles starts with the implication that there is a rule against raising fees.

Headlines are written by headline writers, not the article writer. Your inference was different than mine. I felt it was nothing more than an eye-catcher and took it as tongue in cheek.

BTW, the Wall Street Journal has been doing an occasional series of articles on government using massive power against individuals and small businesses.

It begins with the sentence about rate raising and informs the reader that music teachers charge between $5.00 and $30.00/hour. It stresses that most MTNA members are women making a modest income at home. What is being implied by that?

What is meant by that is that most music teachers charge between $5 and $30/hr, and that most MTNA members are women making a modest income at home. Both are factual statements; perhaps we shouldn't read more into the statement than what is said.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Glad to see that there is at least one "red line" Washington WILL bravely enforce: the predatory and rapacious behavior of robber baron piano teachers.

We can all sleep more soundly now. And we do.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by anrpiano

Tying it in the last paragraph to other unrelated "offenses" that are associated fairly or not with the current administration was dishonest and biased.

The first paragraph says "making the world safe from rapacious piano teachers." And if true, that would indeed seem a liberal action. But in fact it's not only untrue, it's exactly the opposite. The FTC action is intended to free piano teachers from association regulation that prevents them from charging anything they want, and poaching any student they want - in other words to encourage any free market rapaciousness they desire.

Now, take a moment for critical thinking - is that a liberal position, or a conservative one?

The piano tech guild case, if it's the one I'm thinking of, was under the Reagan administration, not exactly known for a liberal agenda.

The IRS targeting conservatives? Is that related in some way? Is it even true? The IRS is tasked with enforcing 501.c3 regulations. These regulations say organizations can operate tax free in secret, as long as they are social and not political. The IRS did target a number of organizations whose name indicated they were political in nature, some conservative and some liberal. Was that a bad thing? Is that a liberal or conservative approach?

I don't know the story behind Gibson Guitar or the EPA mine investigation. I do know if somebody were interested in exposing an injustice, they would work on the facts of one case. If their only interest is a political smear campaign, they throw in as much garbage as they can and hope some sticks.

gotta go practice
The articles starts with the implication that there is a rule against raising fees.

Headlines are written by headline writers, not the article writer. Your inference was different than mine. I felt it was nothing more than an eye-catcher and took it as tongue in cheek.

But there are people who would not take it tongue in cheek, and it is also common for people to not read carefully. A quick scan of the article will leave negative impressions and emotion. That is how this type of journalism (including televised news) is done. It does not stay with the headline - it continues into the article.

What I am saying is that the best resource for information on serious things in your own profession is not journalism.

- The issue is not that of raising fees
- afaik, music lesson rates do not fall between $5.00 to $30.00 an hour in the United States

These are two things presented in that journalistic article, and if someone were to base himself on them, he would look a fool. It is always best to inform yourself with reliable resources, and preferably more than one, before launching into anything. You might start with the article, but then find out more. I'm sure you don't disagree with that. smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Well, I'm still waiting for the NYTimes, USAToday, Washington Post, and some of our other bastions of the free press, to report on the issue. In the mean time, I'll try to focus on the crux of what's reported, and try not to shoot the messenger who may or may not meet my journalistic standards.

John, the messenger doesn't interest me - only the message. If anyone wants to act on issues affecting their profession, then they have to have correct information, or they will lose credence. So I am only suggesting to get at reliable information, which is usually done by getting as close to the source as possible.

The press has to sell and remain popular.

Are you against finding things out from MTNA members and similar? Or just want to read newspapers additionally? I really couldn't see the former as being true.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Are you against finding things out from MTNA members and similar? Or just want to read newspapers additionally? I really couldn't see the former as being true.

What?????? I suspect that once again, we've been talking two separate issues here. Further, I'm not understanding what you're saying here. Unfortunately, we're off to the airport, so won't be able to check back until this evening. Have a great Friday, everyone.

What?????? I suspect that once again, we've been talking two separate issues here.

I think we, are, John. I have been stressing that people who want to get involved go as close to the source for information. You seemed to be arguing against that, and I think that was a misunderstanding. I think we're actually on the same page.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission