Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2189323 - 11/27/13 05:37 PM Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand)
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand)

As promised, an unboxing of our P105. Got the white one from Kraft Music with bag, free shipping, no tax, ~$530 USD. Got the KS7150 stand from B&H Photo Video, free shipping, no tax, ~$50 USD.

Figure 01. Here is the box on our den floor. Don't put your foot on it! I think that's on there as a warning to UPS, as the box our NX arrived in a couple of years ago looked like someone had kicked it in (perhaps in a jealous rage?).

Figure 02. Box opened. Very nicely packed, I can't really complain (about the packing anyway). Wall wart and pedal are there off to the right.

Figure 03. DP removed, the flat box in the bottom holds the manual and music rest.

Figure 04. Stuff in the box: pedal, wall wart, music rest. Not shown is the manual. Pedal is cheap 100% plastic, but at least it is hinged and has a rubber bottom (I've seen worse).

Figure 05. An underside view with the bag behind. This is a very interesting view IMO because you get to see the speakers, and you also see the quite deep ruts in the plastic that make the bottom rigid in order to support the key mechanism. This unfortunately also raises the key height (more on that later) and prevents you somewhat from using a stand that might obscure the speakers. On the plus side, the ruts are natural hand-holds that make it easy to pick up.

Figure 06. The "bundle" bag. It's really not bad. I haven't stuck the P105 in there yet but it looks like it will easily fit without swimming around too much. The outer pockets have two compartments, too bad they aren't a little wider as the music rest doesn't quite fit in there.

Figure 07. Here they are, together at last. The width of the stand is adjustable, and this is as wide as I can make it without obscuring the speakers underneath. Seems pretty stable, though a bit too high (see below).

Figure 08. The KS7150 feet can extend quite far out, and if you undo the thumbscrews most of the way they can go quite far in. Unfortunately the legs themselves will only shorten things so far - I think they are a bit too long as the stand is at 25" with the legs all the way in (upper left).

Since I didn't think we would ever need the stand any higher than the lowest it could go, I went out to the local hardware store and bought 4 1" rubber feet, along with some 1" fender washers (middle). Placing a fender washer in the bottom of the foot before installing it (right) should keep the leg tube from eventually piercing through.

Figure 09. The leg inserts and thumbscrews. 2+ lbs of stuff I won't need to schlepp anywhere. Stuck them back in the cardboard stand box for safekeeping in the attic.

Figure 10. Relative key heights for our RD-700NX on the Quick-Lok W550 stand (left), our Young Chang grand piano (middle), and P105 on the KS7150 stand (right). The P105 keys are really high due to the plastic rut stiffeners on the bottom. Too bad the KS7150 doesn't go lower.

Epilog
Speakers really don't sound too bad, especially for the price. A subwoofer would help fill out the low end.

Has anyone experienced the damper pedal suddenly reversing sense while playing? I think this happened today. Uh oh.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2189338 - 11/27/13 06:27 PM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: dewster]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Thanks for the write-up and pics dewster!

What are your/your wife's plans for this new board, may I ask?

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2189351 - 11/27/13 06:56 PM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: dewster]
StarvingLion Offline

This is the piano studio of the 21st century. I am commencing Project 'Gyro', a mission to see how well Beethoven's most difficult piano sonatas can be played on the glorious P-105. I am starting with Sonata No. 13 and will post a video.

Note the ultra modern stand which is much too short in length and the piano hangs about 13 inches off each end.

Unfortunately, the Williams Overture was a tragic failure and is residing in a landfill as we speak. Gyro's vision could not be realized but I think the P-105 will succeed. In fact, I am predicting that Roland will be in such a panic over the spectacular capabilities of the P-105 that they will ship me a V-Grand free of charge to stop the embarrassment.

#2189362 - 11/27/13 07:13 PM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: dewster]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
I look forward to it. cool To dewster, congrats on your wife´s piano. I've read the P105 is a step up from P95, which was in turn a step up from the P85, which was my former piano.

Edited by TheodorN (11/27/13 07:14 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2189371 - 11/27/13 07:29 PM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: Kawai James]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
What are your/your wife's plans for this new board, may I ask?

Knock around board, vacations and such, and I suppose to show her students who don't have a DP something on the low end.

Hopefully she'll be able to talk the tiny church she plays keyboard at on Sundays into buying one, then she'll be able to practice at home on the same thing she plays out.

I believe a larger sample set and better sympathetic resonance would have made this a must-have board for a lot of people. As it is it is simply a bit better than other offerings at this price, which isn't saying a whole lot. And it's pretty light, which IS saying a whole lot. smile

#2189388 - 11/27/13 08:38 PM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: dewster]
Daniel Richter Offline

Loc: Venezuela
Very good post. Very complete in details. Typical from you, dewster wink

I only hear about changing polarity on pedals while turning on the DP. But never while playing.

I am sure there is something you can do to reduce the height of the stand. Nothing that a chainsaw can't fix laugh

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100

#2189415 - 11/27/13 09:49 PM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: dewster]
Edtek Offline

Loc: El Paso
Dewster,
I've never had a pedal polarity reversal during play. As Daniel mentions, you do have to be careful not to press the pedal at turn on.

I have 3 stands (2 "X", and an Onstage table stand similiar to the one that you received with your kb) and gave up on trying to get them low enough and purchased the L85 stand. It's just right for the P105, but it's not very good looking and probably won't be handy for gigs (the stand attaches to the kb with 4 screws).

BTW, I didn't realize the 105 had speakers on the bottom and marveled at the nice sound it produced from what I thought were only the 2 small speakers on top. Didn't notice the bottom speakers until I got underneath the kb to attach the stand screws.

I'm ok with my 105, the action could be better and the tone could be brighter but for the weight and the price I'm well satified.

Edited by Edtek (11/27/13 09:50 PM)

#2189451 - 11/27/13 11:33 PM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: Edtek]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Daniel Richter
I only hear about changing polarity on pedals while turning on the DP. But never while playing.

Originally Posted By: Edtek
I've never had a pedal polarity reversal during play. As Daniel mentions, you do have to be careful not to press the pedal at turn on.

I understand the polarity recognition at power-up (to be able to use any pedal regardless of polarity). We turned it on and my wife was playing for a few minutes, then the polarity suddenly reversed. This has happened in the past with the (pretty much a toy, though it wasn't marketed as such) Yamaha my wife plays at church, and requires a power cycle to clear. The P105 takes longer to power up before it makes sounds, so it is potentially more problematic. I'll certainly post again if it happens again.

#2189475 - 11/28/13 01:32 AM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: StarvingLion]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: StarvingLion
I am predicting that Roland will be in such a panic over the spectacular capabilities of the P-105 that they will ship me a V-Grand free of charge to stop the embarrassment.

Best of luck with your prediction!

#2189515 - 11/28/13 06:17 AM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: dewster]
foster12 Offline

Loc: Italy
Hi Dewster!

White is expetacular!

....At least I've understood what mean the letter b after P105 ^^

good playing dewster!

#2189545 - 11/28/13 08:48 AM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: StarvingLion]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
This is the piano studio of the 21st century. I am commencing Project 'Gyro', a mission to see how well Beethoven's most difficult piano sonatas can be played on the glorious P-105. I am starting with Sonata No. 13 and will post a video.

Note the ultra modern stand which is much too short in length and the piano hangs about 13 inches off each end.

Unfortunately, the Williams Overture was a tragic failure and is residing in a landfill as we speak. Gyro's vision could not be realized but I think the P-105 will succeed. In fact, I am predicting that Roland will be in such a panic over the spectacular capabilities of the P-105 that they will ship me a V-Grand free of charge to stop the embarrassment.

Waldsein and Pathetique. wanna hear them . . . .I attempted both on my ole CLP820. The difficulty was unfortunately, not with the piano. But I wouldn`t admit to it then . . .

""

#2189611 - 11/28/13 11:42 AM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: foster12]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: foster12
White is expetacular!

I think the white look is pretty nice too, probably better than the black, though it's harder to keep clean. For -$70 USD white looks great!

#2189619 - 11/28/13 11:49 AM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: StarvingLion]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

StarvingLion, could you please start your own thread for your Project 'Gyro'?

I know I'm as guilty as anyone for semi-OT posting but, other than employing a P105, your project has nothing to do with this unboxing thread.

Gyro had his own unique opinions, but I don't recall him/her ever making another poster the butt of a joke.

#2189702 - 11/28/13 03:36 PM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: dewster]
o0Ampy0o Offline

I think the white is elegant. If you do not plan on using a dust cover when this sits, just keep some moist wipes around and stay on top of the dust. A combination of moisture and dust, (and oil if the kitchen is close by), can create a layer of grime that is almost ink-like once you try to wipe it off if left to accumulate too long. It will still come off but it may need a stronger chemical and over time this could wear off lettering or accents.

It is unfortunate that Yamaha doesn't include the FC5 pedal with the P-105. They have a relatively decent build quality and weight. If I am not mistaken there seems to be a metal housing in its construction. You might as well buy the FC4 ($19 @ Amazon) or something comparable and skip the FC5 ($13 @ Amazon) if replacing this stock pedal, IMO.

Originally Posted By: dewster
Figure 04. Stuff in the box: pedal, wall wart, music rest. Not shown is the manual. Pedal is cheap 100% plastic, but at least it is hinged and has a rubber bottom (I've seen worse).

#2189793 - 11/28/13 08:03 PM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: dewster]
Daniel Richter Offline

Yeah, you should consider getting a better pedal. I bet your wife will appreciate a more realistic pedal. Unless she really is happy with that pedal?

Owner of Kawai ES100

#2189839 - 11/28/13 09:29 PM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: dewster]
Ashley2013 Offline

Hi Dewster, I dont want to rain on your parade but I hope you have a chance to play the ES100 before your return period is up on the P105. I recently bought a P105 and now regret after a month with it. I had a chance to play ES100 it it is such a cut above for short money for a portable, action and sound. [Action is soooo much better that alone is worth it.] I can't wait to purchase one soon. Im only telling you this because you seem to be a very advanced player. Hope Im helping and Im not jerking you around. Im almost embarrassed to say it but seriously, return it while you can.

We just got a P105 and - while the horrific looping, and to a lesser extent the extreme stretching, grate my auditory nerves into cole slaw - at 27 lbs it's very portable and the speakers aren't bad. Sympathetic resonance is almost non-existent / inaudible, so your pedaling technique will likely suffer

....and that too!

Edited by Ashley2013 (11/28/13 09:48 PM)

#2189861 - 11/28/13 10:16 PM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: Ashley2013]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ashley2013
Im only telling you this because you seem to be a very advanced player. Hope Im helping and Im not jerking you around. Im almost embarrassed to say it but seriously, return it while you can.

My wife is the real piano player in the house (I made it through an adult method book years back, acoustic guitar is what I do best musically). The ES100 is 33 lbs, a bit more than I'd like to carry around. But I'll keep an eye out for one locally to try out if I can. Thanks!

#2189862 - 11/28/13 10:17 PM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: Daniel Richter]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: o0Ampy0o
It is unfortunate that Yamaha doesn't include the FC5 pedal with the P-105. They have a relatively decent build quality and weight. If I am not mistaken there seems to be a metal housing in its construction. You might as well buy the FC4 ($19 @ Amazon) or something comparable and skip the FC5 ($13 @ Amazon) if replacing this stock pedal, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Daniel Richter
Yeah, you should consider getting a better pedal. I bet your wife will appreciate a more realistic pedal. Unless she really is happy with that pedal?

We do have a better pedal, and intend to use that instead. Bought an FC5 a long time ago and never really used it. Bought a switchable polarity higher quality generic (M-Audio?) pedal that has gotten tons of use (and some repair). Thanks!

#2189871 - 11/28/13 10:29 PM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: dewster]
Ashley2013 Offline

Im only telling you this because you seem to be a very advanced player. Hope Im helping and Im not jerking you around. Im almost embarrassed to say it but seriously, return it while you can.

My wife is the real piano player in the house (I made it through an adult method book years back, acoustic guitar is what I do best musically). The ES100 is 33 lbs, a bit more than I'd like to carry around. But I'll keep an eye out for one locally to try out if I can. Thanks!

You got what Im saying... just try it out if you can. I wish I had the chance to try the ES100 before I messed around with the P105 and PX350. Thats all. Now I see what I was missing

Edited by Ashley2013 (11/28/13 10:31 PM)

#2190021 - 11/29/13 10:33 AM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: Ashley2013]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

You got what Im saying... just try it out if you can. I wish I had the chance to try the ES100 before I messed around with the P105 and PX350. Thats all. Now I see what I was missing

We have an RD-700NX in our studio, so I'm acutely aware of what is missing in the P105! wink

Looking at the manual, the voices are too fiddly to pick on the ES100 (it needs more dedicated voice buttons and/or some kind of display). I'm holding off on Kawai until (if/when) they offer something unlooped. HI just doesn't cut it for me.

The P105 is on knock-around duty, nothing too serious or demanding. For a primary DP I'd look elsewhere (and in the current market hold off for as long as I possibly could). The price and the weight are the primary selling features of the P105, though if the pedal polarity bug hits too often we'll dump it.

#2190024 - 11/29/13 10:46 AM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: dewster]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
for $600, don't you find the P105's acoustic piano sample/sound and connectivity to its action really compelling? ( i guess so, you bought it!!)...it definitely is a low end board, but if you just wanted a really light weight option for basic piano, its incredible value and is fun to play. i find it more rewarding than the Casio 150, but that is obviously personal taste.

congrats for the purchase! you are right about the GYRO post- i actually thought that was you adding on new pix until i read further down.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#2190027 - 11/29/13 10:50 AM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: dewster]
reinesos Offline

Loc: Banned
Thanks for the write-up and pics dewster!

#2190714 - 11/30/13 08:11 PM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: dewster]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
I'm holding off on Kawai until (if/when) they offer something unlooped. HI just doesn't cut it for me.

Are the P105's sounds unlooped?

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2190737 - 11/30/13 09:46 PM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: Kawai James]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
I'm holding off on Kawai until (if/when) they offer something unlooped. HI just doesn't cut it for me.

Are the P105's sounds unlooped?

Touche! I suppose I hold Kawai to a somewhat higher standard than Yamaha at this point. Take that as a compliment. smile

[EDIT]I guess my point is that, if it's looped, I don't want to pay very much for it. If Kawai had a similar offering at a similar price point I might easily have bought that instead.

#2190742 - 11/30/13 09:55 PM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: dewster]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania

There's no looping in the VPC1. smile

#2190754 - 11/30/13 10:36 PM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: dewster]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Dewster,

Congratulations to your (and your wife's) new DP! It looks great and seems like a bargain at that price. Are you planning on opening it up for some nekid pics any time soon... smile

#2190755 - 11/30/13 10:37 PM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: gvfarns]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: gvfarns

There's no looping in the VPC1. smile

I was thinking that too for a split second. But it is not really competing in the same price bracket as the P105...

#2190862 - 12/01/13 08:50 AM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: Amaruk]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Amaruk
Are you planning on opening it up for some nekid pics any time soon... smile

I'm looking at the 3 year US warranty:

http://usa.yamaha.com/support/warranty/keyboards/images/KEYBOARD_digital_pianos_2010.pdf

I don't see any verbiage to the effect that the warranty will be voided by opening it up. Hmm...

But it hasn't been taken out on a gig yet - it's still a virgin!

#2191658 - 12/02/13 11:42 PM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: dewster]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

FYI, the KS7150 stand is currently $36.99 USD at Amazon (free shipping but probably sales tax):

www.amazon.com/Stage-KS7150-Table-Keyboard-Stand/dp/B000EXIMFI

Totally worth that IMO.

#2191669 - 12/03/13 12:13 AM Re: Yamaha P105 Unboxing (& On-Stage KS7150 Stand) [Re: dewster]
Daniel Richter Offline

FYI, the KS7150 stand is currently $36.99 USD at Amazon (free shipping but probably sales tax):

www.amazon.com/Stage-KS7150-Table-Keyboard-Stand/dp/B000EXIMFI

Totally worth that IMO.

Wow. Very good price. I would love to have that stand available on my country. Definitely I need one like that. I hate X stands. But in my country I can only find X stands.

I will keep searching on my country...or maybe wait to another trip to USA to buy one there and bring it here.

Z stands are good too, but don't look very portable.

Owner of Kawai ES100

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
64 registered (Abby Pianoman, AndrewJCW, Allard, beeboss, barbaram, 18 invisible), 1175 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156278 Topics
2295078 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
Today at 03:53 AM
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
Today at 02:35 AM
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
Today at 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
Today at 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
Today at 12:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission