Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2190170 - 11/29/13 05:20 PM The way I see it!
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Forgive the misleading title but I could not resist the pun. Also am I a bit unsure about posting on the teachers’ forum, surely you guys come here to escape the questions of students. However, if you do I am sure you will ignore this.

So as I understand it, unlike the good old days, it is ok to look at your fingers while playing. My own teacher has said she doesn't mind but obviously was not taught that way. Now that I have been playing for a year I now understand the method I use to practice and learn new pieces better and I am wondering if I can improve on it. I always look at my hands and memorize everything. This seems to work fine until both hands are doing something that normally I would be looking at. So I decide which hand really needs to be looked at and try hard to ignore the other. On other occasions I find those nasty little hesitations in a piece that come from the brain, eyes and fingers not being in sync. I feel my looking at my fingers has become a control mechanism, if I am not looking at the exact right place at the exact right time mistakes happens.

My question is should I try to ween myself off this habit of watching my fingers altogether and will there be benefits in doing so? While I understand there are some great pianists who look at their hands I can’t help think it may be holding me back and that eventually when I play faster and more technically challenges pieces my looking it just going to be a needless step at best and a hindrance at worst.

If you want to waste six minutes of you life and watch me play then here is my latest work. The third movement actually shows me watching my hands while the others have all those nasty hesitations. here

Thanks for taking the time and any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by earlofmar (11/29/13 05:22 PM)

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2190184 - 11/29/13 05:44 PM Re: The way I see it! [Re: earlofmar]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: earlofmar
I always look at my hands and memorize everything.
What will fail to develop with this method is your reading ability. (I'm guessing that what you do is slowly and laboriously decode the notation, learn where to put your hands and rarely look at the music again.) I'm a bit surprised your teacher hasn't alerted you to this. Being a good reader helps you learn new pieces more quickly, and gives you a lifetime of satisfaction in being able to pick up some unknown, unheard music and give it a go. It's worth it.

#2190194 - 11/29/13 05:57 PM Re: The way I see it! [Re: earlofmar]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Yes, aim to look mostly ahead (or at the music) and glance down occasionally at your hands. That way you will be able to (1) read music and (2) direct your hands without looking at them all the time. You will have less trouble when the hands move far apart and need to jump.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2190277 - 11/29/13 09:18 PM Re: The way I see it! [Re: earlofmar]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I had the habit of hand-watching, partly because I write, and partly because I was not ardent enough at acquiring the skill of fluent reading when my mind was young and plastic.

In the end, I had to break the habit, since I greatly desired to read better. It is not easy! But, the effort is greatly worthwhile. Having the hands know, of themselves, where they are on the keyboard, and having the fingers guided by eye to the key patterns, are two completely separate skills. Either way has its hazards and its benefits. It is true, that performers in concert often do look at the hands (unless they're performing as a mime at the same time).

Facility at reading will take you much further, and a lack of facility will greatly hold you back as a musician. But there is nothing wrong with memorizing the score, and then enjoying the pleasure of watching the hands at their work--- or as they create new music, for which a score may not even exist. Both skills is a good thing if you have it; some people can only read.

One thing I found of great help, is to follow in the score while I listen to recordings. It helps the mind to make sense of the ink spots on the page, seeing the way chords and rhythms are notated on-the-fly--- for that is just how fast it will have to be taken in by the eye when you play. This is how we learn our native language, and this makes it easier for the mind to connect page/eyes/fingers/keys/sound-and-feeling. And if the performer and score are reliable, it helps save us from unseemly solecisms (the same as if we had mispronounced some word through only having read it on the page, rather than having heard it spoken by someone who knows how).

Edited by Jeff Clef (11/29/13 10:32 PM)

#2190280 - 11/29/13 09:30 PM Re: The way I see it! [Re: earlofmar]
stalefleas Offline

Excellent post Jeff Clef. You mentioned what I was wanting to contribute and more.

#2190297 - 11/29/13 10:06 PM Re: The way I see it! [Re: earlofmar]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
There is nothing wrong with looking at our hands. Every professional soloist memorizes their pieces and looks at their hands. I dare anybody to play a Liszt or Chopin étude at concert tempo and NOT look at their hands.

And you also have to be able to look at the book, too. It's a mistake to say that you'll never look at your hands, because everybody has to occasionally when they sight-read. I worked as a staff accompanist at my old university for a while and, believe me, you have to look at your hands sometimes when sight-reading!

The skill is to be able to read from the book, look down when you need to, and then find your place again in the score without interrupting the music, and freaking out at the same time. This is among the most complex neuro-physical actions the human body can perform, and it requires an amazing amount of training to accomplish it even at a rudimentary level. So if it takes a while, it's worth investing.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2190341 - 11/30/13 12:50 AM Re: The way I see it! [Re: laguna_greg]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: laguna_greg
There is nothing wrong with looking at our hands. Every professional soloist memorizes their pieces and looks at their hands. I dare anybody to play a Liszt or Chopin étude at concert tempo and NOT look at their hands.

And you also have to be able to look at the book, too. It's a mistake to say that you'll never look at your hands, because everybody has to occasionally when they sight-read. I worked as a staff accompanist at my old university for a while and, believe me, you have to look at your hands sometimes when sight-reading!

The skill is to be able to read from the book, look down when you need to, and then find your place again in the score without interrupting the music, and freaking out at the same time. This is among the most complex neuro-physical actions the human body can perform, and it requires an amazing amount of training to accomplish it even at a rudimentary level. So if it takes a while, it's worth investing.

Another way to put it: develop fast eyes. That's what all good sight-readers have, the ability to take quick looks, and a lot of those looks are more peripheral than we realize.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Wow, check out this baby!
by Paul678
09/15/14 09:31 PM
Baby Grand new Hammer Knuckles.
by OscarL
09/15/14 08:30 PM
WEIRDEST passage in Chopin?
by Mark_C
09/15/14 08:16 PM
Cleaning my piano.
by pianosNpreschooler
09/15/14 07:24 PM
1981 SCHIMMEL GRAND
by mellie62
09/15/14 07:14 PM
Who's Online
134 registered (AmateurBob, ajames, ando, 41 invisible), 1343 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76209 Members
42 Forums
157551 Topics
2314140 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission