Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2193676 - 12/06/13 09:24 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: jazzwee]
Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
Jazz Wee I loved you solo rendition of Christmas song. I was sitting by the fire just clicking on recordings and it was so perfect. I heard someone setting table in the background and that just added to the moment! Thanks.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2193680 - 12/06/13 09:34 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: dannac]
Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
Dannac,That was such a lovely surprise. Neat arrangement! Great recording too. Thanks

#2194521 - 12/08/13 02:17 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
I may be submitting a piece here to this fine, annual thread founded and revived by Hunky, but in the meantime here's a wonderful video perfectly in tune with the theme of the thread guaranteed to set the proper mood and get everyone in the Christmas Spirit:

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2194573 - 12/08/13 03:47 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
This is busy! For those who haven`t been down to the Piano Bar lately, a couple o` seasonal offerings. Sorry about the similar vid. Something to do wi the weather . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEWPwCyq-r4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ9Ug-n3e84

""

#2194625 - 12/08/13 05:28 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: peterws]
candlelightpiano Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
TrapperJohn: I enjoyed the video very much. Really puts you in the spirit of Christmas.

Peterws: I love the two pieces, especially ON CHRISTMAS DAY. I felt like I was up on the Scottish Highlands watching dancers pirouette and have a wonderful time. You have a delicate, beautiful touch.

#2194690 - 12/08/13 07:13 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Can't help but have the gigs we're playing Christmas so enjoy this one...

Actually from last year.

Christmas Song (Vocals) - Live Combo
https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_5050937058

Dec 19, I actually have a Christmas Jazz gig where we're going to play Holiday tunes only...Hopefully there will be some fun recordings.

#2194769 - 12/08/13 10:39 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
This is partly just to participate.
Partly to work through the process of making a file on Garageband. Then getting it here.
Let me criticise, first. It (any vulgar expletive). smile
Am playing on a CDP-100. Don't have my M8000 working anymore. Sad...I really connected with that keyboard. Loved it. Now taking a step back and relearning. I'm just far enough along to really connect with the feeling in the keys.
Maybe Santa will bring me a VPC? smile
BTW: This is my first upload after EccoFatto.
Alfred's Greensleeves

#2194775 - 12/08/13 11:02 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Ron, you did a great job with that beautiful melody. I liked the emphasis on the second half start - such command and proclamation. Very well played.

Cathy

#2194827 - 12/09/13 02:10 AM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: peterws]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Enjoying all the lovely and lively holiday songs here! thumb

Waltz of the Flowers (Nutcracker Suite - Tchaikovsky)

#2195158 - 12/09/13 05:06 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Doug McKenzie Offline

Loc: Australia
I just uploaded to youtube this tutorial video of 'White Christmas'. It is a tutorial that might give intermediate piano students some ideas.

Link removed: Advertising your business in posts is against the forum rules.

Edited by casinitaly (12/09/13 05:22 PM)
Edit Reason: unpaid advertsing

#2195165 - 12/09/13 05:15 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Hm. I haven't posted anything here, but I really thought this thread was for ABFers to post their own recordings of themselves playing holiday tunes.

I for sure didn't think it was about youtube tutorials and flogging your teaching.

Bah, humbug?

Cathy

#2195196 - 12/09/13 06:05 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: jotur]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Originally Posted By: jotur
Hm. I haven't posted anything here, but I really thought this thread was for ABFers to post their own recordings of themselves playing holiday tunes.

Yep, that certainly is my understanding (and why I'm trying to work up one of my holiday pieces so that it's worth recording!) So, let's hope this thread can continue in that vein.

#2195647 - 12/10/13 04:44 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Roger Ransom Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
This is actually my favorite Holiday Song. I'm not a huge fan of Christmas but I love this melody and play it every December until my wife is probably quite tired of it. I play it all different ways but this is typical.

O Holy Night

#2195655 - 12/10/13 04:57 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Roger, that was beautiful and luscious - perfect!

Cathy

#2195667 - 12/10/13 05:18 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Roger, that was great! Thanks for sharing it with us! Do you use a lead sheet (or fake sheet) with the melody and chords written in, or is it all just improvised?

There's something about O Holy Night that seems to lend itself to runs up the keyboard. A few years back I played a Christmas medley that had O Holy Night in it, with a few runs that I just loved. Maybe I should see if I can get that back into my fingers this year. (If I am, I'm gonna have to hurry though!)

#2195694 - 12/10/13 06:07 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
1000 Post Club Member

jotur, ShiroKuro - Thanks a lot, I appreciate the comments.

I used a lead sheet, I do for most things except classics of course. I don't know how to start from scratch with no guide at all.

#2195983 - 12/11/13 09:54 AM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Roger Ransom]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Oh, to have notes fall under fingers so beautifully. Well done, Roger!

#2196114 - 12/11/13 02:15 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Strings & Wood]
1000 Post Club Member

S&W - Thanks a lot.

#2196194 - 12/11/13 05:16 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Roger Ransom]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Roger Ransom
I used a lead sheet, I do for most things except classics of course. I don't know how to start from scratch with no guide at all.

If I was just working from a lead sheet, I'd be lucky if I could get block chords on 1 and 3! smile

But your recording inspired me to find the medley I have with O Holy Night in it, and while looking around, I found a bunch of old Christmas scores that I haven't played for a few years, so that was fun. I'm going to try to get the medley playable because it has O Holy Night and also a few places where one song is in the right hand and another in the left hand, which I absolutely love. But gee this score is tough! I can't believe I played 6 years ago. laugh Actually, I think it took me several months to work up back then, and I never did get a few measures down, whereas now I think I can do the whole thing in a fews (knock on wood). I don't know about polishing it to recording-quality, but I'll try!

#2196235 - 12/11/13 06:45 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Wow, lots of incredible recordings already. Roger, that was ear-DE-lucsious. Incredibly rich and smooth and I can use some of that now because I've been having some serious recording issues lately due to the fact that my Zoom H2 partially died.

This recording is a bit different for a lot of reasons:

1.) I'm playing this slightly peeved because my Zoom H2 won't record on the built in digital recorder anymore. It crapped out. It will only record using the external speakers. That's still perfectly fine if you are playing on an acoustic piano but right now I am on the digital and the line input is reading ...Pooh!

2.) What you are hearing (I am semi-proud to say) is a first ever recorded performance via my headphones. That's right, I have the headphones clamped over the zoom recorders microphones just like a knit hat so the Zoom recorder is actually recording this acoustically via the speakers in my headphones. Haha, how cheap is that?? But like I said, recording from an acoustic will still work fine but in the meantime I'm just too cheap to buy a new unit.

3.) About half way through the overhead jets from Luke air force base start to kick in but it's not too bad so I left it.

So that's where I'm at right now and here's what I got.

We Three Kings (Hunky style)

https://app.box.com/s/6jclnnynl6uabnnxzbgo

#2196236 - 12/11/13 06:48 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Roger Ransom]
candlelightpiano Offline

Wow!! What an absolutely brilliant rendition of O HOLY NIGHT, Roger! I was blown away! I'd never get tired of hearing you perform it.

#2196242 - 12/11/13 06:53 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
candlelightpiano Offline

Mr Super Hunky: Your WE THREE KINGS was totally celestial!! I've never heard a rendition like it. Love the rocky beat.

Ellsa: Your WALTZ OF THE FLOWERS was lovely and I could envision ballerinas flitting across the stage.

#2196244 - 12/11/13 06:55 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Mr S-H, I really liked that! I even got some ideas from it smile And I love your creative way of recording. Definitely gives me some ideas laugh

Cathy

#2196246 - 12/11/13 06:59 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: candlelightpiano]
candlelightpiano Offline

Now for my much humbler contributions:

I used to listen to this song growing up in Malaysia so it brings back lots of fond memories:

THE CHIPMUNK SONG

I recorded this piece two weeks ago:

GOUNOD/ BACH: Ave Maria

http://www.youtube.com/user/candlelightpiano/videos

#2196257 - 12/11/13 07:31 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Strings & Wood Offline

Very creative MSH... more ways than one. I never would have thought to use the headphones to record from!

#2196258 - 12/11/13 07:32 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: candlelightpiano]
Strings & Wood Offline

Nice Candlelight! Had me smiling all the through.

Setting for "Ave Maria" is gorgeous!

#2196264 - 12/11/13 07:55 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Elssa... Nice one...I like it...
Roger... I likes it...thankyou
MrSH..... I like that.... creative....musical...
Oh candlelight.... Like the Ave Maria.... Chipmunks... Aren't you required to sing along while breathing helium? smile

#2196303 - 12/11/13 09:26 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
1000 Post Club Member

Mr. SH - That was remarkable, I remember when you were early in your playing days in - what - 2005? Pretty impressive.

Your makeshift recording technique is surprising too. I don't know if I'd have thought of doing it that way. Pretty creative.

#2197260 - 12/13/13 09:47 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
Here's my own arrangement of I'll be home for Christmas. Enjoy smile

https://app.box.com/s/ky7kczdatseqfrcq5d9q

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528

#2197474 - 12/14/13 12:15 PM Re: 2013 ABF Holiday Performances.... Let's hear 'em! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
kenjazz Offline

Loc: Massachussetts, USA
Just catching up with the tremendous postings now. Wow!

Ladypayne - I can sense you coming over to the dark side of jazz smile Your version of I'll be home for Christmas had that feel all the way.

Mr. Super Hunky - We Three Kings was on my list for this year too. There is so much that you can do with it. But the power that you put behind the arrangement and performance was special. I was looking for the right word, but I think "power" is it.

Roger Ransom - your incredible runs on O Holy Night created a richness to he overall sound that you would normally need a vocalist to achieve. Well done!

Elssa - Sheer elegance on Waltz of the Flowers. This song fits your flowing style perfectly. I doubt that anyone could pull this off better than you

rnaple - Geensleeves is an excellent Christmas song, because you can grow with it as you go. It sounds great just as you played it, and then you can play it in different styles and with embellishments as you go. Nice job.

Candelight piano - The Chipmunk Song was so much fun! Where did you ever find that? That brings me waaaay back. The sound and visual were just right.

Dannac - Haunting and subtle version of What Child Is This. I had to listen twice to see if I could gather what chord voicings you were using. The sound quality, especially on the bass notes, was also super.

Strings and Wood - Little Drummer Boy was very clean and enjoyable. Just the right feel for this tune. You got the percussive comp part to work. Nice.

Peterws - Really remarkable performances on both numbers. You've got this knack for giving the listener a sense of motion and excitement without seeming rushed. All while playing really hard stuff. It is a very unique style. Love it!

And thanks to all of you who commented on my number. It is greatly appreciated.

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question on Dampp Chaser installation
by electone2007
Today at 02:56 AM
Help to choose between upright Yamaha JU109 & Ritmuller110r2
by yurana
Today at 02:01 AM
I've got it! Who remembers that Steinway O project?
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 01:29 AM
A study of the practice behaviors of effective pianists
by lyricmudra
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Ease of play - Yamaha p35 or p105
by DeadPoets
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Who's Online
63 registered (AZNpiano, barbaram, beet31425, Anja, beeboss, 15 invisible), 1099 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76399 Members
42 Forums
157943 Topics
2319516 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission