2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
zack! Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Hi all,

Sorry I copy here a post from DP forum :
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1797789/Re:%20choosing%20the%20first%20DP%20for%20.html#Post1797789

Basically, I am hesitating between an olf Kawai accoutic (ce7), and a new Kawai digital (cn33).

[
I can get back the study upright Kawai CE7 of 1982 (K 1303703) from my parent house (I thought it was a K15, but the named changed), like this one :
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/msg/2717472704.html

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This piano is first hand, never moved. Has been tuned by professional, has been used moderatly 8 years, and know is confortably resting in place, waiting something happens (like little children having fun or my sister doing a recital during christmas holliday).

I have a serious piano mover and tuner that make me an offer for a grouped transportation around 700€ (750 km) + tuning 80€ for mid december.

Do you think this acoustic piano is worth the move ?

If I move the Kawai CE7, I will probably consider later a second buy, a stage piano with aranger function, but probably a value/used one like the casio PX-330... My wife is not so happy with this option (noise, cumbersome, tuning, etc). My children seem to prefer the CN33 (but they can't compare head to head, so difficult). I am more hesitating, mainly I suppose due to the affective aspect (but not decisive neither), and because this option cover a wider uses cases. ...

Do you think CN-33 + computer is better option than Kawai CE7 + cheap stage piano ? Any thoughts ?

Nerver ending story crazy
]

I find this link :
http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=9224.0
[
Your piano is probably about 15 to 20 years old and was made in Japan. The model CE7, also a 43 inch console, which may be essentially the same, has a continental-style case (no legs) and was considered by many techs to be Kawai's best console. Larry Fine gave the CE7 a 4.0+ rating in his first edition of The Piano Book, which means a good piano for home use. New price then was about $4K; possibly worth that much used today.
]

But also this :
http://www.kawaius-tsd.com/pages/used_pnos.html
[
Our research indicates that the typical used Kawai from Japan is about 20-30 years old. This period in a piano's life represents a transitional time for the instrument. Piano technicians know that a piano may require a major reconditioning during these later years. The stresses caused by over twenty tons of string tension and decades of playing eventually take a serious toll on any instrument, no matter how well it is built. During such an overhaul, hammers and strings are frequently replaced, tuning pins are reset, and regulation and voicing are necessary. This process can often be quite costly. When considering an older used piano, a retail customer should "factor in" the cost of reconditioning that may be required to ensure proper piano performance.
]

Any opinion ?

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Go with the one that makes you "feel" good while playing it. For most people here, it'd be the acoustic. Digitals are flashy and cool but, for me, aren't appealing in the long term.

If Kawai says their 30-year-old pianos need new strings, pins, and hammers, then I'd say they build some pretty poor pianos. Which isn't true; they just want you to buy new Kawais. Yes you probably want regulation and maybe some smoothing work done on the hammers; but since this was a home piano I would expect it to be in fine shape. It won't be like a new piano, but neither is the price.

Z
zack! Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I can't compare, because of distance, and I was a beginner (30 years ago) when i used to play. In my memory I enjoyed really the action (heavy, but not too much and very responsive), with balanced to bright sound.

Then my sister took the relay (she played at grade conservatory). She also liked the piano, lately she says that it was not so good, but didn't know if this just because it is a bit untuned, or something else.

How it worth ? 1000€(1400$), 2000€(2800$), more ?

CN33 is a really good DP for my ears and my fingers. I enjoy to play with it, of course sound is less lively and physically present, but DP have also other advantages.

Last edited by zack!; 11/29/11 07:54 PM.
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
I would say closer to $1400 than $2800 if sold here in the USA.

E
E
I'm curious to know what you decided on. They would have all been great choices.

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Since you say you want an arranger, why not consider the Kawai CP119 instead of the CN-33?

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission