Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
110 registered (anotherscott, Anita Potter, ando, 38 invisible), 1352 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2192285 - 12/04/13 06:43 AM Comment on my score?
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
I believe this to be the best score I've made yet. Any feedback would be great.

http://pdfuploader.com/uppdfs/1019/Prelude_G_major.pdf

(for better quality, download the score and open it in your own PDF reader)

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2192326 - 12/04/13 08:35 AM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Overall it looks nice. The 16th note stems in the left hand are generally a bit short and that causes a collision with the natural in bar 4. You could raise the stem enough without colliding with your crescendo marking. Other than that it looks fine.

#2192372 - 12/04/13 11:28 AM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Accidentals:

Bar 4
Bar 5, melody, 2nd note
Bar 6, melody, 2nd note
Bar 9, melody, 2nd note
Bar 10, melody, 2nd note
Bar 13, RH, 1st note
Bar 17, melody, 2nd note
Bar 19, melody, 2nd note
Bar 21

Polyphonist

#2192414 - 12/04/13 12:50 PM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
IstvánE Offline

Could we get a midi?

lol

#2192419 - 12/04/13 01:05 PM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
stalefleas Offline

I don't think those dotted lines after cresc and dim are necessary. It's pretty obvious in the first two measures that you're crescendoing into the mezzo forte, at least, to me. Also they look quite strange extending across the whole line. Not sure what composer policy is on those.

Also for you accidentals, I'll just address the first discrepancy and that might serve as an example for others that are strange. I don't understand why Polyphonist mentions bar 4, I'm not saying he's incorrect but I don't understand why that would be notated e# instead of f natural.

Anyways, in m5 you notate Ab, but your chord in that measure is a D7 chord. Ab implies a change in the harmony, but actually you're playing a non chord tone, you're not changing the harmony but adding color to the underlying harmony. Therefore g# is going to be more accurate (what would be called the #4 in jazz and contemporary theory). Ab would be appropriate if you were modulating to a key with Ab in it... but you ain't! Also of you spell this with g# instead you won't have to write a natural at the end of the measure, so you'll have one less piece of information to process and it will be somewhat easier on the eyes (not that what you wrote is hard to understand).

Does that make any sense? In sum your "A" is already called for, there is an A natural in the chord of D7--g, however is not called for, there is not any kind of g in your chord at all so using g# does not imply any change to the underlying harmony.

#2192424 - 12/04/13 01:10 PM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: IstvánE]
stalefleas Offline

Originally Posted By: gizzards
Could we get a midi?

lol

Seconded.

#2192441 - 12/04/13 01:58 PM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

#2192451 - 12/04/13 02:22 PM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
stalefleas Offline

One more comment, what are you crescendoing to from m6 to m8 before the subsequent diminuendo? While the dynamics might be implied by the music, if you want a specific dynamic by m8 you may want to write it in. I would assume, just at a glance, probably mp, though perhaps mf. I would certainly judge by playing through. If mp is your intention, leaving it blank there may be adequate, but otherwise you might want to specify.

#2192462 - 12/04/13 02:41 PM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: stalefleas]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stalefleas
One more comment, what are you crescendoing to from m6 to m8 before the subsequent diminuendo? While the dynamics might be implied by the music, if you want a specific dynamic by m8 you may want to write it in. I would assume, just at a glance, probably mp, though perhaps mf. I would certainly judge by playing through. If mp is your intention, leaving it blank there may be adequate, but otherwise you might want to specify.

I thought about that. Thanks for your feedback -- I changed it.

#2192489 - 12/04/13 04:14 PM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: stalefleas]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Could we get a midi?

lol

Seconded.

Okay, but you've heard this before. This isn't new.

http://picosong.com/kqFZ/

If you can, go and actually play it yourself. whome

#2192529 - 12/04/13 05:07 PM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JoelW
Could we get a midi?

lol

Seconded.

What a hypocrite. grin

Polyphonist

#2192531 - 12/04/13 05:14 PM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
hey Joel,

I've had this on my mind today and I keep wondering about something, though I could be dead wrong with this.

Your time signature is 6/8, so 3+3/8... HOWEVER in your score you keep dividing your 16ths, in 3+3+3+3/16ths, which is not right according to your time signature.

As far as I'm concerned, I think you should either go for 3/8 or 6/16 in your time signature, in which case you wouldn't have this clash of elements. The idea of 3/8 is reinforced in bar 15 and 16 (where effectively you have a hemiola).

Also, dolce goes in the middle to be meant for both staves...

some things to think about I guess, but I'm not entirely sure myself!

#2192532 - 12/04/13 05:16 PM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
Could we get a midi?

lol

Seconded.

What a hypocrite. grin

I know. grin

#2192536 - 12/04/13 05:20 PM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: Nikolas]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
hey Joel,

I've had this on my mind today and I keep wondering about something, though I could be dead wrong with this.

Your time signature is 6/8, so 3+3/8... HOWEVER in your score you keep dividing your 16ths, in 3+3+3+3/16ths, which is not right according to your time signature.

I don't understand why this doesn't work. Are you saying the feel of the pulse doesn't match the time signature?

#2192549 - 12/04/13 05:35 PM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

hey Joel,

I don't understand why this doesn't work.

It does.

Polyphonist

#2192593 - 12/04/13 06:41 PM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
stalefleas Offline

Oh yes I thought this looked very familiar, but for some strange reason, I thought your previous prelude was in e minor, and that you decided for some reason to use the same sort of "idea" but now in the relative major, for whatever reason. So yes this makes much more sense now, this is the same piece--and my personal favorite of the ones I've heard from you so far.

#2192595 - 12/04/13 06:43 PM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
stalefleas Offline

And actually I did start on this piece when you originally posted it in another thread. Now that my printer is working maybe I'll give it another go, it is aggravating to read off a computer screen.

#2192596 - 12/04/13 06:54 PM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: stalefleas]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Great. Glad you like it. The score is a bit updated now so you might encounter a couple new notes.

#2193288 - 12/06/13 02:00 AM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
hey Joel,

I don't understand why this doesn't work. Are you saying the feel of the pulse doesn't match the time signature?

This was my feeling -- mathematically, the score works as-is, but to me, the pulse immediately felt like 3/8. The dotted-quarter measures could be 6/8, but the first two bars of the main theme really feels like it wants to be played in 3/8, not 6/8.

The pulse is DAH-da | DAH-da | DAH-da | DAH-da

But in 6/8, I would read it DAH-da dah-da | DAH-da dah-da

If you're okay with a softer attack on beat 4, 6/8 is fine. You'll have a longer line. But if you want that attack, 3/8 is probably the better choice.

While the midi is definitely interpreting it as 3/8 (based on how it's attacking the notes), I did run through it on my own with the longer 6/8 line, and it sounds nice, too. So really, it's completely up to you. smile

#2193304 - 12/06/13 03:10 AM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I see. Yeah, it definitely needs to be in 3/8.

By the way -- sort of off topic, but is there anyway I can make this a one-page piece? I tried everything I know how do on Muse Score, but the smallest I could get it was BARELY two pages. So close. I tried making the accolade distance smaller and I made the spacing as small as I could get it.

Edited by JoelW (12/06/13 03:25 AM)

#2193308 - 12/06/13 03:17 AM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I mean, if you don't want to rescore it, you could always just use accents. It wouldn't be quite as "clean", but anyone worth their salt would be able to figure it out.

But you'd have to add accents on both beats, otherwise people might interpret that you want the 2nd beat accented more than the first, which would lead to a dah-da DAH-da approach, and I definitely don't think that's what you want! grin

#2193314 - 12/06/13 03:24 AM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Haha, definitely won't be doing that! laugh I will just re-score.

#2193319 - 12/06/13 04:00 AM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: Derulux]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Derulux
hey Joel,

This was my feeling -- mathematically, the score works as-is, but to me, the pulse immediately felt like 3/8. The dotted-quarter measures could be 6/8, but the first two bars of the main theme really feels like it wants to be played in 3/8, not 6/8.

The pulse is DAH-da | DAH-da | DAH-da | DAH-da

But in 6/8, I would read it DAH-da dah-da | DAH-da dah-da

If you're okay with a softer attack on beat 4, 6/8 is fine. You'll have a longer line. But if you want that attack, 3/8 is probably the better choice.

While the midi is definitely interpreting it as 3/8 (based on how it's attacking the notes), I did run through it on my own with the longer 6/8 line, and it sounds nice, too. So really, it's completely up to you. smile
Thanks. This is what I meant... smile

#2193324 - 12/06/13 04:11 AM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Do markings ('rit.' for example) go under or over slurs? Specifically bar 4.

#2193338 - 12/06/13 05:09 AM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

above

#2193449 - 12/06/13 10:51 AM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA

By the way -- sort of off topic, but is there anyway I can make this a one-page piece? I tried everything I know how do on Muse Score, but the smallest I could get it was BARELY two pages. So close. I tried making the accolade distance smaller and I made the spacing as small as I could get it.

Layout - Page Settings - Scaling
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2193549 - 12/06/13 03:17 PM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Don't know about MuseScore, but in Sibelius you can adjust the staff size in a dropdown on a tab called "Layout." Perhaps MuseScore has a similar feature.

Polyphonist

#2193553 - 12/06/13 03:27 PM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: Polyphonist]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA

Don't know about MuseScore, but in Sibelius you can adjust the staff size in a dropdown on a tab called "Layout." Perhaps MuseScore has a similar feature.

It does, but they call it scaling. (It's what I posted about earlier...)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2193555 - 12/06/13 03:31 PM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: Kreisler]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kreisler

It does, but they call it scaling. (It's what I posted about earlier...)

Yes, scaling. Thanks, Kreisler. One page is a bit too cramped however. I'll keep it at two.

#2195538 - 12/10/13 12:28 PM Re: Comment on my score? [Re: JoelW]
stalefleas Offline

Joel I started this yesterday. I am wondering, how do you play this? I have alternated playing the middle line with both the left and right hand. While it seems intended for the right hand using the left works for the majority of the piece as well.

Anyways this is not an issue I am just curious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Odd sound effect on old upright
by 661-Pete
12/20/14 06:38 AM
Define "atmospheric" in piano music
by Pianolism
12/20/14 06:18 AM
1 Hour 2-5-1 Jazz Workout Backing Track - Slow to Fast Swing
by Nahum
12/20/14 05:36 AM
Jools Holland wow
by Shey
12/20/14 05:23 AM
How to determine felt thickness without specifications?
by JoeThePro
12/20/14 01:09 AM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160009 Topics
2349761 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission