Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2192392 - 12/04/13 12:17 PM Teaching a child piano
Steve Peterson Offline

Bronze Level Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Texas
Hello,

My godson is now one year old. Clearly he's not ready to begin learning piano yet. However, he's around a lot of musical people, has shown an early love of music, and clearly can differentiate between music and musical noise. He's developing a good sense of rhythm also.

A bit about myself. I'm a reasonably good pianist, my repertoire includes some Bach, Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, and Chopin. I'm very strong on music theory from my cello performance major coursework in college way way back when. I only took formal piano lessons from 5 to 12, then switched to cello. I also worked for several as a successful school teacher, so I have developed skills for teaching.

I'm would like to teach Harper piano when he gets old enough. Even before he is old enough to go with formal lessons, I want to start him out learning informally when he's over and playing on my piano. Here are a few questions:

1. Based on what little you know of me, would you think it's reasonable that I could teach a beginning player? I'm only going to consider teaching for a few years. Then I would make sure he gets a more experienced teacher.

2. In general, what is the earlier age one could consider trying to teach a child? What special changes would you make for young children? I'm assuming short lessons at first.

3. What piano method book sets would work well for a younger child, as well as guide me through a good teaching progression? Are there books you can recommend for adults who want to teach children piano lessons?

Thanks for your input!

Steve

1967 Baldwin SD-10 - My Baby!

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2192435 - 12/04/13 01:42 PM Re: Teaching a child piano [Re: Steve Peterson]
piano2 Offline

Here are some thoughts I have on the subject:
1. When he's a toddler, don't teach him anything. Just play with him - he already enjoys music, so play musical games, sing songs, play piano songs that you think he will enjoy, use children's percussion instruments, listen to lots of types of music in the home, take him to age-appropriate concerts etc etc etc.
2. Little kids have varying levels of finger dexterity and some won't be ready to start playing the piano at 3 because their little fingers are too weak. Perhaps children who are encouraged to play with toys and games that strengthen their fingers and fine motor skills will be ready sooner. That is debatable and depends on lots of other factors, like hand size, focus etc,
3. If you plan to start him at age 3, Suzuki lessons would be beneficial. Then you aren't asking a 3 year old to make sense of printed notation, and the child can develop their ear.
4. Little kids usually aren't that's comfortable sitting on a regular piano bench with their legs hanging down. You would need an adjustable bench and footstool for the child.
5. What if the child doesn't actually want to play the piano? Why not wait until he is 4 or 5 and ask him what instrument he'd like to play? There are small cellos, violins, guitars, flutes etc etc etc.
6. Do you have a lot of patience? Teaching small children requires more than a lot of patience - for both their behaviours as well as their speed in learning.
7. There are so many things to say, for now I'd like to close with the question - have you thought that there might be challenges with teaching a child you know so well? A lot of teachers on this forum have had challenges with teaching children of their friends or relatives. It's not easy - there are lots of issues that come up, and it's not always worth jeopardizing your relationship with the friend, relative or godson.

#2192537 - 12/04/13 05:22 PM Re: Teaching a child piano [Re: Steve Peterson]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I notice you live in Texas. There are several programs you should check out that will be a wonderful introduction to music. Lots of singing, playing with bells, rhythm sticks, egg shakers, etc... movement, finger games..... Some of these include keyboard activities that will lead nicely to piano lessons later.

www.harmonyroadmusic.com

www.yamaha.com/ymes/musicschools/home.asp

www.musikgarten.org

www.myc.com

www.musictogether.com

www.kindermusik.com

#2192598 - 12/04/13 06:56 PM Re: Teaching a child piano [Re: piano2]
Steve Peterson Offline

Bronze Level Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: piano2
1. When he's a toddler, don't teach him anything. Just play with him - he already enjoys music, so play musical games, sing songs, play piano songs that you think he will enjoy, use children's percussion instruments, listen to lots of types of music in the home, take him to age-appropriate concerts etc etc etc.
2. Little kids have varying levels of finger dexterity and some won't be ready to start playing the piano at 3 because their little fingers are too weak. Perhaps children who are encouraged to play with toys and games that strengthen their fingers and fine motor skills will be ready sooner. That is debatable and depends on lots of other factors, like hand size, focus etc,
3. If you plan to start him at age 3, Suzuki lessons would be beneficial. Then you aren't asking a 3 year old to make sense of printed notation, and the child can develop their ear.
4. Little kids usually aren't that's comfortable sitting on a regular piano bench with their legs hanging down. You would need an adjustable bench and footstool for the child.
5. What if the child doesn't actually want to play the piano? Why not wait until he is 4 or 5 and ask him what instrument he'd like to play? There are small cellos, violins, guitars, flutes etc etc etc.
6. Do you have a lot of patience? Teaching small children requires more than a lot of patience - for both their behaviours as well as their speed in learning.
7. There are so many things to say, for now I'd like to close with the question - have you thought that there might be challenges with teaching a child you know so well? A lot of teachers on this forum have had challenges with teaching children of their friends or relatives. It's not easy - there are lots of issues that come up, and it's not always worth jeopardizing your relationship with the friend, relative or godson.

Let me respond by point, and look for additional thoughts...

1. I agree, right now he likes to play on the piano, and I just let him hit notes. I am trying to do subtle things like mirror notes he plays an octave higher or lower, with the idea that he may hear that octaves "sound the same", or playing rhythm games with him. I agree that starting him with lessons before he's ready is a bad idea, hence my question. Is 3 a good age? 5?

2. As before, I don't know when he's ready to start. I started at 5, and that seems like a decent age. I certainly don't want to push him if he's not ready.

3. Personally, I've not been a big fan of the suzuki method. I saw a lot of suzuki students from my time as a cellist and found many of them lacking in some serious skill. If I *did* start earlier than he could read music, it would probably be something less formal, with just learning to make simple melodies.

4. I do have an adjustable bench. Thanks for the advise on the footstool. I wouldn't have considered that.

5. Totally agree there. If he's not interested, I'm not going to try to force him. I spend a lot of time with him, and my biggest goal now is to expose him to as much music as possible, to give him a love of music. He really seems to be interested at this point, and I hope that he wants to play some instrument. But if he doesn't, that's fine too. I'll still love him to death!

I'm also thrilled if he wants to learn different instruments. I could teach him cello or bass if interested, I have friends who could teach him guitar or drums. Or he may take another path. Mostly I want to instill a love of music in all its varieties, and the opportunity to learn when learning is the easiest.

6. I used to teach middle school math. I have lots of patience. I also did some time teaching cello to kids (mostly from ages of 7 - 13).

7. I have thought of this, and from my time coaching tennis, I've seen the perils of coaching your own kids, particularly as they get better. My thinking was that even if I start teaching him I wouldn't consider doing it for more than a few years. I feel I can give him solid beginning fundamentals, including proper hand position, fingering, reading music and simple theory. If he's really interested and starts progressing, I would recommend (and pay for it if necessary) that he gets a more experienced teacher.

Anyway, thanks for your response. I agree there are many pitfalls, and I think (hope) I can keep my own ego out of it!

I realize I'm asking this question very early, but I am still interested in suggests for piano courses for beginning children, or resources to help prepare me to teach piano.

1967 Baldwin SD-10 - My Baby!

#2192640 - 12/04/13 08:43 PM Re: Teaching a child piano [Re: piano2]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: piano2
1. When he's a toddler, don't teach him anything. Just play with him...

This--And TALK to him! Talk about what he is looking at and what he is doing. Give him opportunities to talk, and listen to him.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
98 registered (36251, Allard, Abby Pianoman, aesop, Alux, 18 invisible), 1228 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156858 Topics
2304801 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do you use a method series to teach jazz? What series?
by Maechre
3 minutes 58 seconds ago
Tuning my piano with an app
by johan d
Today at 03:14 AM
Tuning a piano
by johan d
Today at 02:14 AM
Yamaha CLP-430 or Roland RP-401?
by masterboy
Today at 01:22 AM
NY Steinway in Russia
by victor kam
Today at 12:38 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission