2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
sorry for the lame thread….LOL

Items in my studio lost and found:
1 blue plastic squirt gun
1 yellow plastic horse
1 Lego flag
1 "V" Go Fish playing card

I took these items to my students' recent recital in a basket and had no takers, so they ended up in my studio again…
Anything interesting in your lost and founds?

Piano Teacher
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Barb,
I have been able to return items to kids the following week.

Regarding little items that you mentioned, I would not allow them to junk up my studio. If the squirt gun still works, I'd put it in the bag to go to Good Will.

J
J
I have a beautiful navy blue glass plate from the last recital. I've sent out emails and notes, but no takers. It seems way too nice for someone to view as a throw away. I feel quilty with it being in my china cabinet. Perhaps at this years recital someone will notice it and claim it.

Other than that, I only get tiny little things - pins, beads. Anything else gets returned the following week.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Joyce_dup1
I have a beautiful navy blue glass plate from the last recital. I've sent out emails and notes, but no takers. It seems way too nice for someone to view as a throw away. I feel quilty with it being in my china cabinet.

Hi Joyce,
That plate sounds like the one I lost. Not sure how it got to your recital. Would you mind mailing it back to me?

smile

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Wait. As I think of it, I don't want to put you to the trouble and expense of mailing it. So, Joyce, you may keep the glass plate (guilt free). If anyone asks where you got it, you can let them know your friend, Ann, gave it to you.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
LOL! I have a couple of nice umbrellas, nothing cool like a blue squirt gun, though.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
How about what's in your student's lost and founds?

For instance, how much sheet music have you lent your students that they never gave back? I passed the $500 mark a while back.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
That's absolutely not acceptable. Why do you let your students get away with that?

Regards,

Polyphonist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You tell that to my students. And your own.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
What do you mean?

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
M
I usually don't lend books out. If I do, I generally mention it every time until I get it back, but it's usually not a problem for me. When I loan a book I usually place an order for them for that book and so I swap them when the new one comes in.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I do have a "lending library" of duplicate books, old books, and junk music books that they give out as freebie gifts at the MTAC Convention. I also had a few students who quit lessons, and then as a parting gift they gave me their entire library of used method books. I also inherited shelves of old books from retired and/or deceased MTAC members. I can't seem to find people who want these books.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Actually, the worst offenders are my chamber music and vocal partners. I always buy my own parts because I hate playing with copies. One cellist, with whom I've worked my whole life, has an entire collection of cello parts that go with my piano parts, little pieces and sonatas. I got wise about 8 years ago and started giving HIM the copies. He didn't like that, but I told him he could always get his own originals; he wasn't getting mine until he gave me back all the ones he'd kept over the years. Since then, I only give out copies of parts if people don't bring their own. And I learned early on never to give parts to singers because they just won't give them back.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
AZN, I've inherited 3 "libraries" of reference books and music scores. Those are wonderful! I keep the scores I don't have and give the rest to my students. The reference books are invaluable. If you have any of those, please let me know and I'll take them off your hands if I can use them.

Last edited by laguna_greg; 12/05/13 03:38 PM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Actually, the worst offenders are my chamber music and vocal partners. I always buy my own parts because I hate playing with copies. One cellist, with whom I've worked my whole life, has an entire collection of cello parts that go with my piano parts, little pieces and sonatas. I got wise about 8 years ago and started giving HIM the copies. He didn't like that, but I told him he could always get his own originals; he wasn't getting mine until he gave me back all the ones he'd kept over the years. Since then, I only give out copies of parts if people don't bring their own. And I learned early on never to give parts to singers because they just won't give them back.

There is NO EXCUSE for professional chamber musicians not to bring their own parts and own the score. For me, anyone that shows up for a rehearsal and asks "Do you have my part" will be out the door immediately.

Regards,

Polyphonist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Tell that to them. I've been saying it for years.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Why don't you try showing up without your part and see what they think. laugh They can't complain, if they do the same thing.

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
M
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Why don't you try showing up without your part and see what they think. laugh They can't complain, if they do the same thing.
Exactly. Some people learn after only having that done to them once smile .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene

That's all very well and good, except that these are the people who hired me. And who got the gig in the first place. I've not even been the featured artist here, contractually.

Do you two actually do this for a living? Ever? I mean really, it doesn't do to bite the hand that feeds you. Show them up, of course, but don't bite them back.

They can get somebody else to play, and sometimes do...

M
M
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Originally Posted by Morodiene

That's all very well and good, except that these are the people who hired me. And who got the gig in the first place. I've not even been the featured artist here, contractually.

Do you two actually do this for a living? Ever? I mean really, it doesn't do to bite the hand that feeds you. Show them up, of course, but don't bite them back.

They can get somebody else to play, and sometimes do...
I don't see it as biting the hand that feeds at all. I'm only responsible for my music when I show up at a rehearsals - not really sure why it would be any other way.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission