Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2192601 - 12/04/13 06:59 PM Anyone here worked on Morning Passages?
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Just wondering if anyone here has worked on Philip Glass's "Morning Passages"? I'm looking at it's nine pages and I'm wondering (assuming I learn it) how I would ever play it in recital and manage to turn all those pages?

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2192769 - 12/05/13 02:35 AM Re: Anyone here worked on Morning Passages? [Re: Peyton]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Have you considered memorizing it (in pieces)? From one listen, it sounds as though it could be compartmentalized rather neatly.

#2192820 - 12/05/13 07:49 AM Re: Anyone here worked on Morning Passages? [Re: Bobpickle]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Bobpickle
Have you considered memorizing it (in pieces)? From one listen, it sounds as though it could be compartmentalized rather neatly.

Yea, that's generally how I learn a piece but... man, this one is really long.

#2192823 - 12/05/13 07:54 AM Re: Anyone here worked on Morning Passages? [Re: Peyton]
Polyphonist Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Five minutes is not long. And this piece is extremely repetitive - it's not like you're memorizing Boulez sonatas. smile

Polyphonist

#2192853 - 12/05/13 09:17 AM Re: Anyone here worked on Morning Passages? [Re: Polyphonist]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
Five minutes is not long. And this piece is extremely repetitive - it's not like you're memorizing Boulez sonatas. smile

Good point.

#2193215 - 12/05/13 10:57 PM Re: Anyone here worked on Morning Passages? [Re: Peyton]
PianoStudent88 Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Have a page turner?

Sometimes I see pianists copy the music down very small and post it four to a sheet. I don't know how they manage to read it, but it seems to work for them.

#2193307 - 12/06/13 03:17 AM Re: Anyone here worked on Morning Passages? [Re: Peyton]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: Peyton

Yea, that's generally how I learn a piece but... man, this one is really long.

You're unnecessarily erecting a psychological barrier on yourself when you think like this. Overcoming this will likely be the hardest part of learning the music for you - especially with your experience and musicianship. See the forest for the trees, but recognize that even loggers must work to harvest forests one tree at a time.

Just imagine what it would be like to learn and memorize a piano transcription of a Beethoven symphony or Frederic Rzewski's The People United Will Never Be Defeated!. When faced with the task, though, concert pianists don't fret (at least not for long) - they get organized. Take the latter, for example.

You're not learning and memorizing an hour of music, but a theme and 36 variations on it. This results in an organized 36 bars followed by 6 groups of 6 variations, an optional improvised cadenza, and a direct restatement of the theme. What was once a huge mass of pages is now a very approachable project (well, for some). It's not so much the actual task that you're faced with that's hard, but how you choose to approach and overcome it should you decide to try in earnest.

#2193359 - 12/06/13 07:36 AM Re: Anyone here worked on Morning Passages? [Re: Bobpickle]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

You're unnecessarily erecting a psychological barrier on yourself when you think like this. Overcoming this will likely be the hardest part of learning the music for you - especially with your experience and musicianship. See the forest for the trees, but recognize that even loggers must work to harvest forests one tree at a time.

Just imagine what it would be like to learn and memorize a piano transcription of a Beethoven symphony or Frederic Rzewski's The People United Will Never Be Defeated!. When faced with the task, though, concert pianists don't fret (at least not for long) - they get organized. Take the latter, for example.

You're not learning and memorizing an hour of music, but a theme and 36 variations on it. This results in an organized 36 bars followed by 6 groups of 6 variations, an optional improvised cadenza, and a direct restatement of the theme. What was once a huge mass of pages is now a very approachable project (well, for some). It's not so much the actual task that you're faced with that's hard, but how you choose to approach and overcome it should you decide to try in earnest.

Which explains why understanding music theory can be so important. When I studied I was constantly chastized for not "understanding the construction" of the music. It really does hold me back.

#2193443 - 12/06/13 10:41 AM Re: Anyone here worked on Morning Passages? [Re: Peyton]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

If you feel it's holding you back, why don't you take some classes? It's not rocket science

I'm currently working on a 6-page piece and my teacher recommended copying it on a smaller format so that it fits. Even if you can't read all the details then, it might still be enough assuming you're not sightreading so you already know what it says anyway.

#2193545 - 12/06/13 03:11 PM Re: Anyone here worked on Morning Passages? [Re: Peyton]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Peyton, look very closely at the sheet music here in this picture. It is what I used to play the 9-page long 'Christofori's Dream' (David Lanz).

Using scissors, I trimmed every possible square inch of non-printed paper off each individual sheet of music. Then I taped the now much slimmed down version of 9 pages of music onto a piece of cardboard (home depot moving box @ .99 cents).

Here's the thing, if you look at my cardboard moving box support system closely, I actually have room for 4 more pages! With this ultra low teck method, you can comfortably and easily play a piece that is 12-13 pages long.

BUT, there is a catch. The catch is that you no longer have any excuses to play this piece so I expect to hear your beautiful rendition of this in our next recital.

Looking forward to it actually.

URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Mrsuperhunky/media/6ea3c163-f890-4878-aec1-72b80ee5777e.jpg.html][/URL]

#2193567 - 12/06/13 03:49 PM Re: Anyone here worked on Morning Passages? [Re: wouter79]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

SH, that's a very cool way to do it! I may try that.

Edited by Peyton (12/06/13 03:51 PM)

#2195015 - 12/09/13 01:21 PM Re: Anyone here worked on Morning Passages? [Re: Peyton]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I just tried just minifying 2 pages into 1. That gives about 70% of original size. Good enough for reading still, and comfortably fits 6 of these pages on my desk without any stacking at all. I taped together the 3 minified pages. Need to test if it also works on smaller desks, mine is quite wide

#2195053 - 12/09/13 02:22 PM Re: Anyone here worked on Morning Passages? [Re: wouter79]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wouter79
I just tried just minifying 2 pages into 1. That gives about 70% of original size. Good enough for reading still, and comfortably fits 6 of these pages on my desk without any stacking at all. I taped together the 3 minified pages. Need to test if it also works on smaller desks, mine is quite wide

I'll take a look at that idea too. Thanks.

#2197036 - 12/13/13 01:02 PM Re: Anyone here worked on Morning Passages? [Re: Peyton]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Just to report back that the 6 minified pages kept standing also on narrow desks. A good part sticks out but the paper is stiff enough to keep it upright

#2197077 - 12/13/13 02:14 PM Re: Anyone here worked on Morning Passages? [Re: Peyton]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
C'mon wouter, spend the buck on the cardboard. Consider it 'performance insurance'. What if you are performing your 'minified' [love that term btw!] 6 page, one level spread and then for no reason the flimsy ends fall off?

I do like one story better than two but Peyton is talking about a 9 page piece and that could get pretty long.

Still, you could tie a piece of fishing line to the bottom of the left side of the long cardboard support and then tie the other end of the string around your left toe. Then, after a bit of practice, you will be able to have a one story, continuous scrolling sheet music feed undetectably powered by the string tied around your left toe. Just slowly move your left leg out in a continuous motion as you are playing to keep the music perfectly centered.

You may even get extra claps from your audience as a result of their disbelief in you doing this to begin with! Ha ha.

p.s. I love 'junk yard wa' and the 'macgyver' tv shows.

#2197625 - 12/14/13 05:20 PM Re: Anyone here worked on Morning Passages? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky

Still, you could tie a piece of fishing line to the bottom of the left side of the long cardboard support and then tie the other end of the string around your left toe. Then, after a bit of practice, you will be able to have a one story, continuous scrolling sheet music feed undetectably powered by the string tied around your left toe. Just slowly move your left leg out in a continuous motion as you are playing to keep the music perfectly centered.

If nothing else it could be a really funny youtube video.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (accordeur, Alux, AndreiN, AmateurBob, ABC Vermonter, 39 invisible), 1573 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153689 Topics
2252921 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
04/23/14 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
04/23/14 10:00 PM
Canadian pricing for Kawai MP11?
by GWILLY
04/23/14 09:52 PM
RH Fast Alberti notes
by Ogden
04/23/14 09:28 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission