Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
130 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, 40 invisible), 1659 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2192633 - 12/04/13 08:29 PM New Recording - Please Listen
ryand90 Offline

Hello,

I'm a new beginner, playing for about five months now. I would like you to please visit https://soundcloud.com/rjd1234 and listen to my "Its a Small World" variation.

I would like some comments as to your opinions. Does it sound ok?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2192639 - 12/04/13 08:43 PM Re: New Recording - Please Listen [Re: ryand90]
Psychonaut Offline

I enjoyed listening to it. Nice touch and feel where you slow it down at the end. Keep working!

#2192641 - 12/04/13 08:49 PM Re: New Recording - Please Listen [Re: ryand90]
ryand90 Offline

Thanks psychonaut! I appreciate you taking the time to listen.

#2192647 - 12/04/13 09:00 PM Re: New Recording - Please Listen [Re: ryand90]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
It sounds very good.

You can play vey well after such a short time. You, obviously, have some talent.

What I would suggest you do next is to put a metronome on and find a speed at which you can play it right on time in a very relaxed (as in not nervous) state. Then, when you have found that speed ... begin moving that speed up, a notch at a time ... all the while keeping the music right on time ... until (after a week or two) you will have it right up to the speed you want and it will be right on time.

I could have used that tip a few years ago ... probably still can ... lol

Nice playing. Keep it up.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2192650 - 12/04/13 09:13 PM Re: New Recording - Please Listen [Re: ryand90]
ryand90 Offline

Dmd,

Thanks for your nice compliment. I also appreciate the suggestion. It's so weird because I had been thinking about rhythm and trying to play in time better. I have a metronome on my computer program GarageBand. I don't know alot about using one though. What speed would you recommend? I think the default is 120 bpm.

#2192666 - 12/04/13 09:57 PM Re: New Recording - Please Listen [Re: ryand90]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: ryand90
Dmd,

Thanks for your nice compliment. I also appreciate the suggestion. It's so weird because I had been thinking about rhythm and trying to play in time better. I have a metronome on my computer program GarageBand. I don't know alot about using one though. What speed would you recommend? I think the default is 120 bpm.

Put it on 80 bpm and give it a try. If you make mistakes or get off the beat, set it to 70 bpm and try again, etc ...

You must find a speed (and it could be very slow) where you can play it without mistakes and on time.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2192690 - 12/04/13 10:52 PM Re: New Recording - Please Listen [Re: ryand90]
AZ_Astro Online   content

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
I agree with the others about the rhythm but I thought you did a great job with the piece, especially after only 5 months.

Keep up the good work!

#2192739 - 12/05/13 01:22 AM Re: New Recording - Please Listen [Re: ryand90]
piano_primo_1 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA
The playing sounds good, and not out of tempo at all to me; was it a” lesson”?
I don‘t prefer “lesson songs” to play , although they are good for learning ,( like for example “ I’m a little buttercup’ or something like that) .
I think the “dmd’s” advice is good , for me too.
I do use a metronome to slow it down to a good playable beat then increase the tempo.
( when I have a challenging song that I can’t lick the notes ) .
Pick a song you like and learn it for motivation when you get boggled with lesson songs.
Really good for a beginner .

Edited by pianonewbie1 (12/05/13 01:25 AM)

#2192804 - 12/05/13 06:25 AM Re: New Recording - Please Listen [Re: ryand90]
ryand90 Offline

Hi pianonewbie1, I'm not sure what you mean by a "lesson" song? This was included in my supplemental Alfred's Greatest Hits Level 1. It's not a full piece if that's what you mean. I'am going to try and use the metronome however I'm a little nervous as I haven't used one yet. I nervous about syncing my playing of each note to the clicks. I will be trying this however.

Also, do you (or anyone else reading this post) have any inspirational words you can give me about getting better at sight reading/keyboard geography? I practice sight reading everyday reading at least two or three new pieces each day and also complete two lines a day from "A Line A Day Series". It has taken a while, but i've seen some improvement in the five months time. It seems to be a slow process. However, again it's not just the reading but it's syncing what I read to finding the right notes. I rarely look down at the keyboard so it's sometimes hard to still find my place in my head. Does knowing where you are on the keyboard eventually become instinct? I feel as though this has gotten somewhat easier, but I know there are still sometimes when I look at a piece of sheet music, play, and then realize ok what keys am I on at the moment and how do I go from here?

In other words, I'm hoping it will become like typing on the computer where I instinctively know where all the keys are without having to look down. For instance, typing this reply.

Thanks again too for all of your comments and suggestions, they are much appreciated!

#2192809 - 12/05/13 06:52 AM Re: New Recording - Please Listen [Re: ryand90]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Welcome Ryan! I understand that the metronome can be a little intimidating, but I find it absolutely necessary, otherwise we would all slow down in the tricky parts and speed up when the song gets easier, it's perfectly normal. Just set it at a very comfortable pace, even half your usual speed if you need to, and try not to listen to it too much, just use it to feel the beat. It is particularly important in rhythmic songs like this one.

As for sight-reading, I'm afraid there is no other way but practice, practice, practice. There are a few threads about it on the forum.

#2193232 - 12/05/13 11:41 PM Re: New Recording - Please Listen [Re: ryand90]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
Very good, ryand90.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Compare Steinway, Estonia & Shigeru Kawai
by Nxwang
Today at 07:20 PM
Do you ask Santa for piano music?
by Stubbie
Today at 07:16 PM
Brahms Sonatas, Op 120 (clarinet/viola & piano): Editions?
by DaveInJapan
Today at 07:03 PM
Friction in actions
by Withindale
Today at 06:55 PM
Nord Electro 2
by Auver
Today at 06:23 PM
Forum Stats
77023 Members
42 Forums
159302 Topics
2340078 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission