Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2192876 - 12/05/13 10:15 AM Carpet ( pedal) problem...please help!
Infinity Offline

Loc: West Orange, NJ
Hello, I moved from a hardwood floor house to a w2w carpeting house. I have a George Steck studio. The pedals just don't work the same. The piano and pedals are fine; it's the carpet that is the problem. The wheels sink in so low there's no where for the pedal to go down to. I was able to put caster cups on the front 2 legs and that helped a tiny bit , but not much. I can't get them on the back legs because the piano is at the dead end of a small room between a wall and huge wall unit.
All my songs sound awful and my students are whining. I need to do something asap!
www.pianolessonsnj.com

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#2192883 - 12/05/13 10:25 AM Re: Carpet ( pedal) problem...please help! [Re: Infinity]
Olek Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Do not leave the piano in an inclined position.

It may be difficult to incline the piano on the front casters with some help, while someone push the cups (one by one) under the back caster.

Imagination helps there, as using double faced tape plus a stick, to position the cup without hands.

Pushing the cup in place with a large carboard, then strip the cardboard or lighten the weigh and pull it.
A frontal light, a mirror, may help as well.

Also, try to regulate your pedal(s so they are more early, and need less motion to be active.

(those are bolts inside the piano behind the bottom panel, it is usually not difficult to find out how to regulate that)

Hope that helps

PS if it does not work with the cups at the front it will not be any better when 4 caups will be installed.

Edited by Olek (12/05/13 10:28 AM)

#2192920 - 12/05/13 12:18 PM Re: Carpet ( pedal) problem...please help! [Re: Infinity]
SMHaley Offline

Loc: Seattle
Plush shag carpet can be a real pain. I have seen some instances where heavy duty office grade plastic carpet guards were used with some success.
Church Music Professional
Curator of instruments - Chancel Arts
Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single

#2192931 - 12/05/13 12:33 PM Re: Carpet ( pedal) problem...please help! [Re: Infinity]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
I agree with Isaac, but you could also put the piano on a sheet of wood or laminate. With luck, if rigid enough, the front edge would sink into the carpet.

#2192933 - 12/05/13 12:39 PM Re: Carpet ( pedal) problem...please help! [Re: Infinity]
Olek Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

#2192985 - 12/05/13 02:44 PM Re: Carpet ( pedal) problem...please help! [Re: Infinity]
Phil D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Amazing! :-)

#2193033 - 12/05/13 04:12 PM Re: Carpet ( pedal) problem...please help! [Re: Infinity]
accordeur Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Québec, Canada
Put a thinner felt on top of the pedal, the one where it rests when not played, the reregulate like Isaac said.

Musician, Tuner and Technician

#2193074 - 12/05/13 05:19 PM Re: Carpet ( pedal) problem...please help! [Re: Infinity]
Craig Hair Offline

Loc: Holyoke, MA
Here is my old moving trick for getting caster cup under uprights that can't be moved

1) Take a plank of wood, as thick as your caster cup is tall, push the piano back toward the wall till the board can be inserted under one of the front casters.

2) When the plank is inserted have someone put their weight on the arm of the other end. The piano will tilt forward til the front caster touches. There will now be room enough under the back to place a cup. Gently let the piano go back toward the wall. Push the piano back again and remove plank.

3)repeat the process from other end. except this time, when you remove the plank put both cups under the front.

hampshirepiano.co
soundboardrecrown.com

Either do something worth the writing,
or write something worth the reading.
S. Clemens

#2193719 - 12/06/13 11:43 PM Re: Carpet ( pedal) problem...please help! [Re: Infinity]
Infinity Offline

Wow, thank for all those great suggestions. I like the lawn mowing idea ( if that was a suggestion to mow the carpet down, lol!) . The situation here is so bad I want to remove the carpet but refinishing the floor will cost a small fortune. I want to try the plank idea. Can I get more info on what to buy as a "plank"? Will a shelf do?
www.pianolessonsnj.com

#2193778 - 12/07/13 03:15 AM Re: Carpet ( pedal) problem...please help! [Re: Infinity]
Olek Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Hello, a shelf style (thickness) may do it.

Not very discrete looking but a plank installed on each side of the piano, would give a good level (not easy to install in your case).

What is possible is that due to the thickness of the carpet, those planks will possibly move a little , hence the piano will not be veyr firmly settled in the floor. That can be a little disturbing. should settle in time probably.

If your caster cups are not thick enough, have them glued on a wooden plank with double sided tape or whatever works to gain some rising. You may need to ask a carpenter to cut the planks to size, if you cannot do it yourself.

The idea to change the upper felt for a smaller one in the pedal aperture possibly would help to raise the pedal enough (but in a less usual angle, and the pedal can be noisier on return - the lever inside the piano may also knock, sometime, but gluing back a felt t that location is not difficult so it can be temped)

Did you try to have the pedal acting sooner (do you know how to tighten the pedal regulating screw - after opening the bottom panel ?)

Lawn mowing I only do with scissors, then comb, spray a little gel and you are done wink

That carpet must be really thick to create such problems.

good luck !

Edited by Olek (12/07/13 03:22 AM)

#2195656 - 12/10/13 04:58 PM Re: Carpet ( pedal) problem...please help! [Re: Infinity]
Infinity Offline

Hello all, OP here.
Thank you for all your help. I just ordered cups from pianocastercups.com. I await their arrival and I will try the insertion trick.
I agree the cups may not be high enough. If I still had my table saw, or even a jigsaw I would add more wood to the bottom.( power tools went with the ex!).
I will write back after I try this.
Thank you!
Dina
www.pianolessonsnj.com

#2200106 - 12/19/13 10:47 AM Re: Carpet ( pedal) problem...please help! [Re: Infinity]
Infinity Offline

I inserted the cups! It definitely elevated the piano. Albeit the piano now sits about 8" away from the wall. However, the pedal is still not functioning properly. I am writing another post to ask what to do about lost motion in pedals. Thanks to all.
www.pianolessonsnj.com

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (Al LaPorte, accordeur, AmateurBob, Almaviva, 44 invisible), 1624 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74258 Members
42 Forums
153605 Topics
2251278 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I just can't get my head around temperament!
by LarryShone
43 minutes 1 second ago
clavinova clp 115
by rochoula
47 minutes 44 seconds ago
DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11
by prox
Today at 10:59 AM
Action regulating
by pater57
Today at 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
Today at 08:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission