2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Hi,

I am looking for a digital piano for my son who just turned to seven. He will start learning piano soon. We live in an apartment, so I plan to buy a digital piano. I tried Yamaha CLP and CVP, Kawai CN34 and CA95, CA65. Sales representative highly recommended Roland HP503 since he thinks Roland Piano’s key action is better than Yamaha. But I like HP505; it has better key action than HP503. I like beautiful sounds in Kawai pianos. So many choices, I could not make decision. Could anyone please give me some advice?

Thanks,

Spring13

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
The HP505 is indeed worth the extra price over the 503. But if you like the (bright, crisp) Kawai sound, then you will probably not be happy with the (warm, mellow) Roland sound, and as the Kawai keys of the similar to the HP 503/505 priced CA65 are very good ones as well, I would recommend you to lean to the CA65 then. You might want to compare the CLP470 with the CA65 before doing a final decision.

I have a general concern: if your son is total beginner, 7 years old, nobody else playing piano at advanced level on that instrument, do you really want to spend so much money right now? Wouldn´t it be the economic more careful investment to first go for a less expensive instrument and pay the saved money for a better teacher?
If your son shows talent and real interest, you can still change the cheaper beginner instrument in 2 or 3 years for a future top of the line DP, then. You then actually should do so, if you could afford so. But right away, not knowing how things are going to develope?
Maybe ask also on the Teachers Forum, how the teachers think about it!

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Marco M
I have a general concern: if your son is total beginner, 7 years old, nobody else playing piano at advanced level on that instrument, do you really want to spend so much money right now? Wouldn´t it be the economic more careful investment to first go for a less expensive instrument and pay the saved money for a better teacher?

Totally Agree with this thought.

I would suggest the Yamaha P105, Yamaha P155, or Casio PX-150.

Your son will be very happy with any one of those and you can save a little money.

Then get him a good teacher. Don't forget that. Without that, it will just be a toy he bangs around on.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Would like to add the Casio PX-350 to what has already been mentioned, if you're ready to stretch the budget a little. It has some cool features that might interest a seven-year-old, but then again distract him from serious piano studies. eek

Kawai ES100 has gotten some praise here, think it's at least under $1000, but not available everywhere.

Last edited by TheodorN; 12/05/13 03:53 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A couple of thoughts come to mind. The problem, if I was in your shoes, would be this.

There`s not a great deal to choose between digitals, imo. The issue is, how serious would your son (and your powers of "persuasion") be if you bought him a piano which looked nothing like a piano? And a stage piano looks nothing like . . .Having said that, many have taken to it like a duck to water using the most basic of pianos. Others need more persuasion!

I needed persuasion. The piano I had wasn`t cheap for my parents to buy. I`m glad they persisted; I wouldn`t have. Good luck in your search!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Peter's thoughts are good thoughts.
Moreover, talk to your son's prospective teacher. She or he will have a view as well you shouldn't ignore. Talk to other friends of yours who do play the piano. Sales representatives to whom I do not already have an existing relation of trust are the last ones whose advice I'd take without double-checking, as they might have other interests than your son's progress.
Don't invest too little.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

As I've indicated in two other threads - you should consider either a Kawai CN34 (or CE220 if you live in the USA). These have all the bells and whistles a beginner might need while costing almost half as much as the Kawai CA95, or Roland HP505.

Another option is the buy a new or used REAL acoustic upright with a "practice rail" (that allows you to play softly)- or even a "Silent" upright piano (Yamaha makes these) which can be played either as a digital with headphones, or as a real acoustic.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Since your son is seven, I would have his teacher involved in the process and would also consider renting a piano instead of buying. He's too young to know what's best and you don't play, right?

If you want the best action for your son the only real choices apart from an acoustic piano would be the Yamaha AvantGrand N1, a real grand piano action in an upright foot print or the NU1, a real upright piano action also in an upright piano foot print.

Unless you think your son is going to stay with this for years, renting might be the best option.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
M
M
Renting is a good option, but if you buy, get the most piano you can afford. Generally the more you spend the better the instrument. If you don't know how to play, you may want to ask the teacher to come with you to test out the different models. The most important thing is the touch. Sound I think is secondary. The flip-side to not spending a lot because you don't know if he'll stick with it, is that he may not stick with it or progress as quickly if he's frustrated by the instrument he has to play on.

The instruments you mention are all good, so it comes down to personal preference. Unfortunately, you can't know at this point what your son would prefer since he doesn't play, which is why it's good to bring in someone whose opinion you can trust. Offer to pay your teacher for her time, too. wink

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree that a digital is not the same as an acoustic. But the first thing he said is that they live in an apartment. I applause his consideration towards their neighbours. If an acoustic, I think that the neighbours can put up with an hour a day tops, and that thinking in a concert, not a practice and certainly not at a beginner level. But still sufferable for one hour.

Also you would need a decent acoustic, not a cheap one that has been untouched for years in a corner and is so old that won't even hold a tuning. Those you can find on eBay UK for 5 quid plus transport, and they even give them for free. There is a reason for that, unfortunately.

So in your case I would definitely settle for a digital piano.

I also agree that you need a good digital piano for your kid to enjoy playing it, not a toy one.

But as per my response to your first post, I also think that there is no point in going to the most expensive dp for a 7 years old who is just beginning. Go for a good quality dp, either a console that looks like a piano or a stage piano of good quality for a more modern look.

As you said you like Kawai, CL36, KDP90, CN24, CN34, CE200, CA15. Any of these will give your kid 2 and some quite more good years continuous learning and I'm sure that by then we'll be talking of even better pianos at Kawai's top of the line.

He will have access to an acoustic with his teacher, and at a later time you might even realise that you have a little piano genius and go for a silent.

I really don't think that many people who are not professional own both an acoustic and a digital.... especially when they still don't know if they are going to stick to it.

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by evamar
As you said you like Kawai, CL36, KDP90, CN24, CN34, CE200, CA15. Any of these will give your kid 2 and some quite more good years continuous learning and I'm sure that by then we'll be talking of even better pianos at Kawai's top of the line.

Just want to clarify that the OP lives in the USA - thus the CA15 isn't available here. Also, the CE200 has been replaced (I believe) by the CE220, which is available in the US as an alternative to the CA15.

I think many here agree that the child should ideally start on an acoustic - but since they live an apartment, they are considering the digital. Finally, I get the impression (and the OP can correct me if I'm wrong) that a teacher hasn't been selected yet.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sorry, you are right, CE200 was a typo. It certainly is CE220.

I haven't tried that one as I live in the UK, but I did try the CA15 and it was very good. Not a lot of bells and whistles, it really is for piano playing. 3 sensors.

The CE220 has a different action but still wooden keys, offers some more sounds and USB to device, which is quite a plus. Looks very good in paper and I was quite upset it wasn't available in the UK. Maybe somebody here has tried it?

I agree a teacher can put some direct input... and he/she should also have the acoustic to give the kid access to the real thing.

[Linked Image]
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
. . .

But as per my response to your first post, I also think that there is no point in going to the most expensive dp for a 7 years old who is just beginning. Go for a good quality dp, either a console that looks like a piano or a stage piano of good quality for a more modern look.

. . .

+1.

. Charles

PS - warning of bias -- I own a Casio PX-350.

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 12/06/13 10:26 AM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq

Sorry, you are right, CE200 was a typo. It certainly is CE220.

I haven't tried that one as I live in the UK, but I did try the CA15 and it was very good. Not a lot of bells and whistles, it really is for piano playing. 3 sensors.

The CE220 has a different action but still wooden keys, offers some more sounds and USB to device, which is quite a plus. Looks very good in paper and I was quite upset it wasn't available in the UK. Maybe somebody here has tried it?

I was more than a little bummed out when I learned the CA15 wasn't available in the US. Quite frankly, I probably would have purchased it over the CA65 - not that I'm not happy with my CA65 - and granted, the GF action of the CA65 is a step up - but the CA15 would probably have met my basic needs.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by carey

I was more than a little bummed out when I learned the CA15 wasn't available in the US. Quite frankly, I probably would have purchased it over the CA65 - not that I'm not happy with my CA65 - and granted, the GF action of the CA65 is a step up - but the CA15 would probably have met my basic needs.

I know how you feel, had it come with USB to device connection I wouldn't have looked anything else and would have saved some money too!

But well, we cannot really complain about our CA65! wink

[Linked Image]
D
D
First post, and I'll add my experience since I've just gone through the process of buying a DP for my 7 year old who's been taking lessons for just a few months.

If our son keeps with this and reaches the point where it makes sense, our goal is to get an acoustic piano. But for now we don't want to make that financial outlay (or commit 1/3 of our living room). So I've been researching DPs, with this forum being an invaluable resource (thank you from this lurker).

We ultimately settled on a stage-type piano, figuring it is adequate for his current level and beyond. We figure if he doesn't keep with it we have a portable piano that would probably be pretty easy to sell. If he does keep with it and we buy an acoustic piano eventually, we have more "piano-funds" to allocate to that purchase and he has a nice portable keyboard too.

We had narrowed the choices down to the Kawai ES100 and the Yamaha P155. We ended up choosing the P155 (at 15% off, just $50 more than the ES100). We didn't have a chance to try an ES100 locally but did try the P155 and really liked it, especially the key action. We didn't want to commit to an unknown (ES100) when there was something we tried and liked (the P155).

Anyway, that was our experience and decision, in case it helps. Although the apartment/consideration of neighbors factor is N/A in our case (OP has lucky neighbors). Thanks again to the folks here for all the good info.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission