2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

Just a suggestion for you - I think a lot more people would read your posts if you left out some of the biographical information and cut to the chase sooner. smile

Michael is never aggressive, mean or condescending. That makes his posts something one does not avoid. Different people have different ways of expressing themselves.

I didn't say anything about him being aggressive, mean or condescending...I was making a suggestion because, in all honesty, I do find his posts a bit lengthy sometimes, and somewhat lose interest midway through. smile

Regards,

Polyphonist
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I was listing those things which are actual turn-offs. When posts are lengthy, we can always skim and try to get at the essence. Not everyone has the ability to get at the meat of the matter when they write. smile

T
T
Most people tell me they think it is great and they wish they could learn, but don't feel think they could do it.

I also love to golf, have figured out the golf swing better than the piano. But that took years of practice too, just like the piano is taking.

I enjoy both, and life is short.

I have a few too many hobbies. Being spread so thin, not a darn thing gets done with any of them. It kinda makes me not so good, or, not as could as I could be by having inconsistent focus on the different subjects. If you enjoy one thing or ten, then so be it. The desire to put forth effort into things just because you want to is intrinsic motivation. For me, the gratification that comes from doing a good job complete and all on my own is a big motivator. Things like chores and going to a job to make money would be extrinsic motivation. It really isn't a hobby if it doesn't come from within. So, if you take on a task because someone convinces you that you should, then it's extrinsic and wouldn't be your hobby.
It takes all kinds to make the world go around.

thanks,
Mark

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Troy 125

I also love to golf, have figured out the golf swing better than the piano. But that took years of practice too, just like the piano is taking.

I enjoy both, and life is short.

It's nice to see that there are a few other highly intelligent individuals out there with exceptionally discriminating tastes.. laugh .

Golf doesn't have to be "a good walk spoiled" as some have claimed it to be (especially if you ride a cart around the course smile ) but it can be extremely frustrating and aggravating - I seem to demand much more perfection there and am far less tolerant of mistakes playing this sadistic game than I am when sitting at the keyboard in the throes of my pianistic studies...I wonder why...

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
It is not so much a matter of how they view us.
More accurately...

People do not view the world as it exists.
They view the world as they exist.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The only "non musician's" opinion that matters, for me, is that of my husband. As long as there is balance in our lives, and my piano hobby isn't negatively impacting our relationship, we are both happy. He has his computer programming hobbies (also time-consuming) and I play piano. We share other activities such as hiking or going to the fitness center.

I don't think most non musicians have any idea of the amount of time or commitment playing piano takes, or the powerful draw that it has for people who are musically inclined. I don't try to explain to them why I spend three hours a day practicing a "hobby", other than to say that I enjoy learning a new skill. My spouse lives with that commitment everyday, so I try very hard to have an acceptable balance with him.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn
Golf doesn't have to be "a good walk spoiled" as some have claimed it to be (especially if you ride a cart around the course smile ) but it can be extremely frustrating and aggravating - I seem to demand much more perfection there and am far less tolerant of mistakes playing this sadistic game than I am when sitting at the keyboard in the throes of my pianistic studies...I wonder why...

Even the world-class professionals have fallen victim to extensive cursing, club-throwing, and caddie-berating. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

Even the world-class professionals have fallen victim to extensive cursing, club-throwing, and caddie-berating. grin

... and that includes shanking 'em during the warm-up.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS
The only "non musician's" opinion that matters, for me, is that of my husband. As long as there is balance in our lives, and my piano hobby isn't negatively impacting our relationship, we are both happy. He has his computer programming hobbies (also time-consuming) and I play piano. We share other activities such as hiking or going to the fitness center.

I don't think most non musicians have any idea of the amount of time or commitment playing piano takes, or the powerful draw that it has for people who are musically inclined. I don't try to explain to them why I spend three hours a day practicing a "hobby", other than to say that I enjoy learning a new skill. My spouse lives with that commitment everyday, so I try very hard to have an acceptable balance with him.

thumb ditto!

Carl

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Another vote for "I don't care what they think."
Why is it anyone else's business how many hobbies we do or don't have?

Learner
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
...I seem to demand much more perfection there [on the golf course] and am far less tolerant of mistakes playing this sadistic game [golf] than I am when sitting at the keyboard in the throes of my pianistic studies...I wonder why...

I can answer that (since you asked) - it's because piano music, unlike golf, and in spite of a bunch of flubs and fumbles in execution, "hath charms that soothe that savage breast (or is that beast?)"...to quote my man "Shakes"...

[Don't you just love it when people quote their own posts and then respond to it? laugh ]

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I seem to demand much more perfection there and am far less tolerant of mistakes playing this sadistic game than I am when sitting at the keyboard in the throes of my pianistic studies...I wonder why...

Probably because an errant drive, or 3-foot putt that goes only 2.5 feet, has no inherent pleasure to it. On the other hand, I can play at a pretty low level of competence (and I do), and it is quite enjoyable nevertheless!

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I can answer that (since you asked) - it's because piano music, unlike golf, and in spite of a bunch of flubs and fumbles in execution, "hath charms that soothe that savage breast (or is that beast?)"...to quote my man "Shakes"...

[Don't you just love it when people quote their own posts and then respond to it? laugh ]

Ha! You beat me to the answer by a couple hours... I hadn't seen this before posting my (very similar) reply.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
It's like anything in life.. those who love and those who don't..

You just have to know how to appreciate something.. [taking another sip of an excellent wine of which I'm sure it will not be appreciated by many people]

However, too much of a good thing wink

Last edited by wimpiano; 12/07/13 04:35 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS
I don't try to explain to them why I spend three hours a day practicing a "hobby", other than to say that I enjoy learning a new skill. My spouse lives with that commitment everyday, so I try very hard to have an acceptable balance with him.

Thanks so much for this post... I don't have that balance (and it's not because of too much time on the piano), and the only way I'm going to get a decent amount of piano time is going to be some serious work in other areas of my life. There's no way I could say "I try very hard" (as you have here) with a straight face re: keeping my wife satisfied with how I'm spending my time.

Hearing about the effort that you are making gives me a sorely needed kick in the pants.

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
I've never had anyone say anything negative about the time and energy I put into playing (well, except the neighbour downstairs....but that's another story).

I've never thought to ask before... what % of your time is spent in silent mode in order to appease your neighbor?

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
I've never had anyone say anything negative about the time and energy I put into playing (well, except the neighbour downstairs....but that's another story).

I've never thought to ask before... what % of your time is spent in silent mode in order to appease your neighbor?

easily 80%.

It stinks.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by rnaple
It is not so much a matter of how they view us.
More accurately...

People do not view the world as it exists.
They view the world as they exist.

The ones who need to understand this, never do. I also used to ride bicycles in a sporty manner and one of my club's ride leaders put it well, "If he's faster than you, he should have more patience and wait. If he's slower than you he should realize it and not expect you to ruin your ride waiting for him."

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
easily 80%.

It stinks.

Ugh. That does stink.

More evidence that you are a ridiculously nice person. smile

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission