Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2193315 - 12/06/13 03:39 AM henri herz 1855 restoration and tuning
ado Offline

Loc: france
Hello there ,my first post in tech forum.

So I got this old upright piano in what I reckon good condition (from what I can tell seeing other old pianos)
The ivories no chips or breaks, just a litlle yellowish in the center octave ,the hammer mechanism in preserved and clean condition ,just the balance cashmir and bridle straps all need to replace.Some pins have just a litlle rust film and there is some here and there on strings,nothing like the usually old rusty pianos.

All wood frame and soundboard is covered in some heavy yellow varnish and I hope this preserved it in good condition through the centuries ,anyway the wood underneath looks like new.I believe it wasn't played much and stayed inside in the house untill it got to this salvation army store.

The questions I have and be very thankfull for any help are.

What are the chances of getting it reasonably in tune.
I don't pretend play on it serious classical pieces but some ragtime,honky tonk and boogie stuff which I thought this piano would be great for.

Should I treat strings whith some chemical ?

Some tips on all wood frame tuning(direction and rest periods for wood reaction between tunings etc.)I feel it was tuned for the last time a looong time ago.

New bridle straps with clip or glued?

I noticed some wormwood holes at the back side on the bottom and if the worm is still active what extermination procedure would be recomended.

There are some black tiny dots on some ivories ,they come off with the nail but I would reather use some liquid and rag to take them off ,what would be the safe option (alcohol,soap wather etc.)
Also is there a way to get out or clean a litlle the yelloving.

Thank you very much for any ideas.

Edited by ado (12/06/13 03:54 AM)

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2193318 - 12/06/13 03:51 AM Re: henri herz 1855 restoration and tuning [Re: ado]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Hello, put something to kill moths inside, then dismounted keys and clean all what ou can see, then tell what you wrote here to different piano tuners, you possibly will find one that likes boogie enough to help you out have it tuned.

But old actions can stand a little jazz not much boogie, that sort of very old piano is not suited for the use intended. You will probably make it impossible to repair later.

Not that it would interest many but Henry Hertz was a respected man in the history of piano making. Even if the instruments he build where mot as good as some others st the era.

Edited by Olek (12/06/13 03:54 AM)

#2193322 - 12/06/13 04:08 AM Re: henri herz 1855 restoration and tuning [Re: ado]
ado Offline

Hi thanks ,it is all out ,I have it in pieces keys and all vacumed.
I pretend to tune it myself (I used to tune my other old upright to satisfying level although it was a steel frame)
By the Way Olek if you're in france(I'm also,Biaritz region ,just need to update my profile)
whould you know to tell my what is called bridlle strap with clip in french?

Also what online piano supply store in france I can use(I just can't get to it googling in french)

Merci

#2193328 - 12/06/13 04:23 AM Re: henri herz 1855 restoration and tuning [Re: ado]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Hello, clipped straps are not used in France, but may be Guillemenot Marc Monceau check Google. have some.

If the action is modern type you are lucky, but springs are breaking on the old style with leather straps.

For the wood insects you need siringues to put the product, treat the frame bottom at last, if the worms are in you will have dust of wood put some paper under the piano to see if it is the case (I was told you can listen with a screwdriver used as a stethoscope, and hear some of the wood pests)

Not really competent on those matters.

Best regards.

PS I wonder if your name mean
Ado lescent
Ado nym
Ado nis

Not funny!

#2193337 - 12/06/13 05:08 AM Re: henri herz 1855 restoration and tuning [Re: Olek]
ado Offline

Thank you

The springs are in excellent condition to my amateur view, not even touch of rust there and the hammers are made of some exotic wood and look like new ,only the leather straps are all broken.

Ado is my childhood nickname for Andrej(born in former Czechoslovakia)

#2193404 - 12/06/13 09:23 AM Re: henri herz 1855 restoration and tuning [Re: ado]
Lluís Offline

Loc: Barcelona,Spain, European Unio...
Hi Andrej, I'm restoring a 1860's upright too (A pleyel) and I'm from spain too, if you wish to share some akwnowledgements send me your mail via pm! I know more or less how to threat ivories etc.

You can take a look at my blog: www.pleyelrestoration.blogspot.com

1855 Pleyel Pianino (Restoring -> www.pleyelrestoration.blogspot.com )

#2193782 - 12/07/13 03:26 AM Re: henri herz 1855 restoration and tuning [Re: Lluís]
ado Offline

I have played a few restored pleyels ,nice sound and touch.Good luck with yours,looks neat already.
I will send you pm ,thanks

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
128 registered (anotherscott, aesop, Augustina, Abby Pianoman, 43 invisible), 1487 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76039 Members
42 Forums
157220 Topics
2309179 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question about 1975 Steinway L
by mahlers2nd
09/01/14 09:02 PM
Kawai ES7 v1.15 software update - now available
by Kawai James
09/01/14 08:43 PM
Mason & Hamlin's action vs. Kawai's Millennium III action
by ColinDS
09/01/14 08:32 PM
Recognising Slash chords by ear
by Visalia
09/01/14 06:07 PM
Hammer blow distance, dynamic range, controllability
by prout
09/01/14 05:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission