Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2193948 - 12/07/13 12:57 PM Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade?
Eric NYC Offline

I'm considering getting the Yamaha Avantgrand, probably the N2.

However, the Avantgrand line has been out for four years now (released 2009), and is probably due for an upgrade. Presumably the newer model will be better and less expensive.

If I get the N2 and Yamaha releases a new model, presumably I'll be stuck with an older version and will have missed the opportunity to get the newer, cheaper model. Also, the resale value of my N2 will immediately drop because the value in the second-had market (though small) is strongly dependent on the value of the new models.

So I have the usual choice: buy now, or wait and hope that something better comes along in the short term.

Is there any reason to think that Yamaha will release a newer model any time soon? Is there any information or informed speculation on how much better the new models might be, and how they will compare in price with the new models?

Thanks for any information or suggestions.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2193952 - 12/07/13 01:01 PM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: Eric NYC]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Given that these high-end pianos sell in extremely small numbers, I wouldn't expect a new model any time soon. Many years passed between the Gran Touch and the first N, and I'd expect many more before a successor comes along.

#2193956 - 12/07/13 01:11 PM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: Eric NYC]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

My local Yamaha retailer dropped the price of its AvantGrands by nearly 20% last summer, and I thought an upgrade was in the offing which includes CFX samples, as on the NU1.

Then the price went back up again........ grin

#2193998 - 12/07/13 02:12 PM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: Eric NYC]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Yeah, first of all 2009 isn't that old for a digital piano model, especially from Yamaha. Secondly, the high end stuff like AvantGrands get updates particularly infrequently. If they did update it they would just change the sounds and keep the mechanisms pretty much the same, I would think. But the sounds are still among the best Yamaha has ever put out. Until that changes, I don't see any replacements coming. I would expect it to be many years. I would be very surprised if it was fewer than 5. I could be wrong, of course.

#2193999 - 12/07/13 02:16 PM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: Eric NYC]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Out of curiosity, what features that the N2 doesn't have are you looking for in an upgraded version?

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2194089 - 12/07/13 04:32 PM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: Eric NYC]
Pete14 Offline

It's been closer to 5 years since the Avant Grand. I'd wait till NAMM (about a month away); just in case.

#2194104 - 12/07/13 04:53 PM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: Dave Horne]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Dave Horne
Out of curiosity, what features that the N2 doesn't have are you looking for in an upgraded version?

Dave, that is a good question. May I ask you what you would like to see in terms of improvements, if anything, in the next version of the N3?

Edited by Amaruk (12/07/13 04:53 PM)

#2194130 - 12/07/13 06:00 PM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: Amaruk]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

The only improvement for me would be having the action of a nine footer instead of a six or slightly less than six footer.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2194158 - 12/07/13 07:24 PM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: Pete14]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: Pete14
It's been closer to 5 years since the Avant Grand. I'd wait till NAMM (about a month away); just in case.

I'd wait until NAMM 2020 or thereabouts. By then the DP industry will have either come up to speed with circa 2000 samplers or completely folded (or continue to just make toys, same thing) due to overwhelming apathy.

If you need something now: buy low-end, used, SN (maybe), or roll your own with a PC/MAC. It's all pretty sad but I don't make the rules.

#2194159 - 12/07/13 07:27 PM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: Eric NYC]
Bartek Offline

Improvements/Needs:
1. Damper action
2. Real Yamaha piano action with real hammers (avantgrands as grantouches have specially for them designed actions with the wippen/jack from plastic)
3. Different sample set for headphones

Without the damper action the feeling is different to that what is felt on real grand piano and it cannot me mimicked with heavier counterweitght.

In other words just that what is already since many years in Silent Grand Pianos, and what is not in avantgrands for cost saving (for Yamaha, not for a customer).

Today if you want to have really REAL feeling of real grand piano action the only way is to buy Silent series grandpiano.

I think the next hybrid line will be in 2015:
1997: Grantouch GT1 GT2 GT7 (Revolutionary Hybrid pianos at that time)
2003: Grantouch DGP5 DGP7 (Japan only) - revised action (the same later in avantgrand), newer sample pool, improved speaker system
2009: Avantgrands (actually nothing new, the new sample set, still based on loops is actually poor for that price comparing to many pc based vst's)
2015: *** Something with binaural samples same as in current silent CX series.

#2194163 - 12/07/13 07:32 PM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: Eric NYC]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
They make just what you want! It's called a baby grand piano.
Honestly ... if you want it all, buy it all. Get an acoustic.

#2194310 - 12/08/13 12:14 AM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: Eric NYC]
kippesc Offline

Loc: United States
@Bartek. Good list. I'd also want the best CFX sample set (at least what's in the Yamaha silent pianos), better implementation of the sustain pedal (presently, depressing sustain increases volume of already sustaining notes slightly -- wholly unrealistic), hi-def MIDI (like um that found in $500 Casios), no noise gate (so that I could pipe software pianos into the DP), the ability to use TRS when piping software pianos into the DP, digital audio recording on board (not just MIDI recording).

Wait for winter NAMM for new product and winter sales.

#2194381 - 12/08/13 05:10 AM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: MacMacMac]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac

smile

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2194424 - 12/08/13 09:18 AM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: Eric NYC]
Bartek Offline

I know that, so that's why I'm going to buy an acoustic.
But Id like to have an opportunity to have an additional real hybrid piano in an apartment for practice. So smaller, without the metal frame, strings etc. Without "sound" parts, only action parts.
A real hybrid grand piano for me would just have the same action as pulled out from lets say yamaha C1 silent (key action + damper action + pedal action) and thats all.
The trs system, and all other gadgets are really far behind these priorities.

I think that yamaha in fact is not currently interested in real development of their products, some time ago they slow down it. Look that the avantgrands are in fact the grantouches with just some revisions (in 17 years ?). Clavinovas too. The CLP 990 dating 2001 had better quality "action" (long wooden keys, sophisticated counterweighting hammers imitation) than the top models clavinovas have today (plactic, empty inside keys, with just a metal stick under it - something for cost saving, simplified production, space and weight saving - for easy implementation in clavinovas, stage pianos and everything - but not exactly for you to have a better, more realistic feeling).
Kawai makes wooden keys in their digitals and far better imitation of the hammers (where they are not under the keys but really on the end on the lever on the other side). But sadly they dont make a competitor for the avantgrands ( they stopped with the EGP 1 as a competitor to grantouch, and I dont know exactly, as far as I know it had a real action, but the sensing system was inferior to that in grantouches).

#2194429 - 12/08/13 09:31 AM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: Bartek]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I think that yamaha in fact is not currently interested in real development of their products, some time ago they slow down it.

If you look at acoustic pianos there have been changes but a piano that's 100 years old will look pretty much like a piano made today. It's a rather mature technology, right?

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2194463 - 12/08/13 11:21 AM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: Eric NYC]
kippesc Offline

Loc: United States
I am able weekly to play a Grandtouch and I own an AG N2. The AG isn't perfect, but it's better than its predecessor the Grandtouch -- more color, more responsiveness, better action (though, that may largely be due to its newness), better sound system.

#2194485 - 12/08/13 12:03 PM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: MacMacMac]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
My house is too small for a grand. I almost bought a grandtouch years ago but in the end I decided on an upright. The AG was a huge step up sound-wise and was less money (N2.) It took me 20 minutes on AG to know it was time to go hybrid. You have to think that Yamaha will only update current models when they can take it to another level and just updating to a CFX sample won't be enough unless they use full unadulterated four channel samples.

My only complaint is the Rhodes sample could of been a lot better.

#2194564 - 12/08/13 03:36 PM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: Eric NYC]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
More desirable incremental improvements, based on the NU1 hybrid, which has the CFX samples. More options to customise the tone: EQ, hammer, lid, attack/sustain, or similar. Improve the ability to save custom settings. The non-piano sounds are c**p, so lots of room for improvement there, a decent harp, clav, EP or two and maybe organ or two; but these are probably not where they are aiming in the market.

#2196341 - 12/11/13 10:54 PM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: Bartek]
Eric NYC Offline

Improvements/Needs:
1. Damper action

What are you referring to?

#2196342 - 12/11/13 10:55 PM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: Eric NYC]
Eric NYC Offline

Thanks to you all for your comments.

#2196362 - 12/12/13 12:32 AM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: Eric NYC]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Eric NYC
Improvements/Needs:
1. Damper action

I assume it was that the AG doesn't have any dampers. This means that pressing the pedal does not change the weight of the keys. In an acoustic, a key press must also lift the damper for that key. If the pedal is pressed there is no need, so the key weight is lighter.

#2196409 - 12/12/13 04:19 AM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: gvfarns]
Hookxs Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Originally Posted By: gvfarns
Originally Posted By: Eric NYC
Improvements/Needs:
1. Damper action

I assume it was that the AG doesn't have any dampers. This means that pressing the pedal does not change the weight of the keys. In an acoustic, a key press must also lift the damper for that key. If the pedal is pressed there is no need, so the key weight is lighter.

+ possibly sensors for damper velocity (or better yet, position). If we are talking about real action...

#2201581 - 12/22/13 07:59 PM Re: Avantgrand - when is Yamaha expected to release an upgrade? [Re: Eric NYC]
OldFingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, MA
A nice improvement would be the removal of the "noise-gating" problem. Then with Ivory German D, I might finally be satisfied.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
71 registered (ando, aesop, Al LaPorte, barmassimo, beeboss, 21 invisible), 1216 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295914 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano technician cost list
by ascc
08/01/14 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
08/01/14 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
08/01/14 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
08/01/14 12:17 AM
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
07/31/14 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission