Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2195134 - 12/09/13 04:36 PM Most spectacular concert venues in the world
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
What would be on your list? I'm talking mostly about the architectural qualities/beauty/significance of the space and not the acoustic qualities and hoping you'll add a YouTube video or picture showing the hall.

I've been to Carnegie Hall countless times including for a performance of the Mahler Symphony of a Thousand, but that hall seems far less spectacular then the Royal Albert Hall in London. Some would say that Carnegie makes up for its relative lack of size by its immense historical significance.

From the Royal Albert Hall:

Jerusalem at the Proms 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ0oCmDXrVk

Bemjamin Grosvenor at the opening night Proms concert
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvc8W_c7DbM

Lang Lang solo concert at the Proms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uAtPdfEAKg

Edited by pianoloverus (12/10/13 05:04 PM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2195186 - 12/09/13 05:48 PM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: pianoloverus]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

The Royal Albert Hall is definitely the most impressive concert venue I've ever been in (with a cavernous acoustic to boot), but I haven't been in some other impressive European venues like the Großer Musikvereinssaal, Vienna, or the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, or the Großer Saal, Berliner Philharmonie - though none of them can compare in size to the RAH.

http://youtu.be/StWyYa8PQSk
www.youtube.com/user/BerlinPhil
http://youtu.be/psyAnLWLXe4

#2195215 - 12/09/13 06:25 PM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: pianoloverus]
Mark_C Online   content

Loc: New York
I'd always say "Carnegie" for #1 because I find it impossible to separate out its history from other details. BTW I'm surprised you'd characterize it as having a "relative lack of size." I guess that's a huger criterion (no pun intended) for you than for me, and our standards are very different. I think Carnegie is plenty big, and moreover, I hardly consider size a criterion at all for what you asked about.

In fact, as my runner-up to Carnegie, I'd give a nod to the Monte-Carlo Opera House, which is pretty small. I don't know if they have piano recitals, but why not.... smile

#2195276 - 12/09/13 08:04 PM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: pianoloverus]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I've been to quite a few in the States, but for me, the "spectacular" ones were the outdoor venues like Tanglewood, the Sheep Meadow in New York City and Millenium Park in Chicago. The combined ambiance of city lights, good food and wine, sparkling stars and snuggling next to someone special tops all the indoor venues. (Hearing the 1812 Overture with the sound and smell of real cannons at Tanglewood was memorable to say the least!)

Deborah

#2195334 - 12/09/13 10:22 PM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: gooddog]
Mark_C Online   content

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: gooddog
....for me, the "spectacular" ones were the outdoor venues like Tanglewood, the Sheep Meadow in New York City and Millenium Park in Chicago. The combined ambiance of city lights, good food and wine, sparkling stars and snuggling next to someone special tops all the indoor venues....

There's much to be said for that. I've been to a couple of the ones you mentioned and I didn't experience them quite that way, but at a similar thing in Milwaukee (of all places!), in their annual "Summerfest," hearing Van Cliburn play the Grieg Concerto amidst the open country space, with country lights and with city lights in the background, and the rest of what you said, I'd have to say it beat Carnegie Hall and the Monte Carlo Opera House.

#2195347 - 12/09/13 11:09 PM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: Mark_C]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
[...]In fact, as my runner-up to Carnegie, I'd give a nod to the Monte-Carlo Opera House, which is pretty small. I don't know if they have piano recitals, but why not.... smile

Torna a Surriento, a Neapolitan song by Ernesto de Curtis, written in 1902, sung in this video by Luciano Pavarotti

Vide'o mare quant’è bello,
spira tantu sentimento,
Comme tu a chi tiene a' mente,
Ca scetato 'o faie sunnà.
Guarda gua' chistu ciardino;
Siente, siente sciure arance:
Nu profumo accussi fino
Dinto 'o core se ne va…
E tu dice: "I’ parto, addio!"
T’alluntane da stu core…
Da sta terra de l’ammore…
Tiene 'o core 'e nun turnà?
Ma nun me lassà,
Nun darme stu turmiento!
Torna a Surriento,
famme campà!

Vide'o mare de Surriento,
che tesoro tene nfunno:
chi ha girato tutto 'o munno
nun l'ha visto comm'a ccà.
Guarda attuorno sti Serene,
ca te guardano 'ncantate,
e te vonno tantu bene...
Te vulessero vasà.
E tu dice: "I' parto, addio!"
T'alluntane da stu core
Da la terra de l'ammore
Tiene 'o core 'e nun turnà?
Ma nun me lassà,
Nun darme stu turmiento!
Torna a Surriento,
Famme campà!

#2195378 - 12/10/13 12:46 AM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: pianoloverus]
Opus_Maximus Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'd throw in the Teatro Colon in Buenos Aires:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music...-your-eyes.html

#2195381 - 12/10/13 01:05 AM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: pianoloverus]
pianorigami Offline

Loc: United States
Though I can't say I've been to many, Royal Albert is the very definition of astonishing. It was so amazingly magical inside; I didn't want to leave.
3) Prokofiev Sonata Op. 83
4) Bach Prelude and Fugue in f# minor, WTC II
5) Grieg Concerto Op. 16, 1st Movement

#2195422 - 12/10/13 05:01 AM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: pianoloverus]
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Nice thread! Opéra Garnier in Paris is breathtakingly beautiful, by far my favorite among the places I have been so far:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palais_Garnier

#2195501 - 12/10/13 10:54 AM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: pianoloverus]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
The Palau de Musica Catalana in Barcelona is a spectacular venue in the art deco style.

#2195503 - 12/10/13 11:00 AM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: pianoloverus]
Plowboy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
You people need to get out more. Those old relics are history.

#2195543 - 12/10/13 12:41 PM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: pianoloverus]
terrell Offline

Loc: Georgia,USA
The theatre at the Usupov palace is my pick. It is small enough for a piano recital . It has a C. Bechstein concert grand in white that goes vwry well with all the gold leaf. If you would like to see it , go to . youtube .Rene Fleming and Demitri Hvorostovsky at the Usupov Palace. They are not bad singers.

#2195559 - 12/10/13 01:16 PM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: Plowboy]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Plowboy
[...]

You're saying that modern glitz and bling supplant historical gilt and opulence? smile

Cheers!

#2195571 - 12/10/13 01:45 PM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: BruceD]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: BruceD
Originally Posted By: Plowboy
[...]

You're saying that modern glitz and bling supplant historical gilt and opulence? smile

"Modern glitz and bling" is putting it kindly. Plain 'ol "ugly" works for me.

#2195592 - 12/10/13 03:08 PM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: pianoloverus]
wouter79 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

I prefer smaller halls with smaller settings.

Generally I don't like the big-loud stuff so much. It very quickly get muddy, only the very best orchestras with extremely good timing and relatively dry hall can make it work for me. And without trumpets please, once they set in I need my ear plugs and that really does not help what I hear.

#2195653 - 12/10/13 04:52 PM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: BruceD]
Plowboy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD

That hall has wonderful sound.

#2195743 - 12/10/13 07:24 PM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: pianoloverus]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Every time I'm in the Disney I get very, very hungry. For some unknown reason I can only think of McDonald's super sized fries.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2195750 - 12/10/13 07:37 PM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: pianoloverus]
Minnesota Marty Offline

All in all, my favorite is the Golden Hall in the Musikverein in Vienna, both visually and aurally. The acoustics are superb! It's tasteful in a restrained, but glorious, way.

#2195817 - 12/10/13 10:31 PM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: pianoloverus]
Plowboy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Segerstrom Hall in Costa Mesa is a very nice venue. Excellent acoustics.

#2195980 - 12/11/13 09:50 AM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: Minnesota Marty]

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
All in all, my favorite is the Golden Hall in the Musikverein in Vienna, both visually and aurally. The acoustics are superb! It's tasteful in a restrained, but glorious, way.
I had seen this venue before and thought it was quite incredible. I wonder why the have such a wide aisle going down the center. Perhaps to help the audience get a better view of the stage?

#2195987 - 12/11/13 10:09 AM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: pianoloverus]
Minnesota Marty Offline

PLU - That isn't a wide aisle, but rather, the backs of the center section seats. You can see the two side isles to the left and right of the center section. It's just an oddity of the photograph.

#2196288 - 12/11/13 08:58 PM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: pianoloverus]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I am not sure it is really one of the best venues in terms of acoustics (well, definitely not), but it certainly is beautiful...
When I lived in Sydney sometimes they organized night concerts with the stage on water (Sydney Harbour), and it looked magnificent with the reflections of the light on the water around the stage etc.

Music is my best friend.

#2196305 - 12/11/13 09:30 PM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: pianoloverus]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=041nXAAn714

Including this additional video from the Royal Albert Hall mostly for the thrilling musical sequence. After a rousing rendition of Jerusalem similar to the one in the first post, the conductor quiets the enthusiastic audience(at 3:00) to utter silence and begins a pp a capella rendition(reminds me of the Mahler 8th)of God Save the Queen which then crescendos to ff on the second verse.

Edited by pianoloverus (12/12/13 04:53 PM)

#2196624 - 12/12/13 04:38 PM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: pianoloverus]
Rick Stockton Offline

I will make an unexpected nomination, for acoustical quality, AND historical significance, AND beauty:

Chicago's "Auditorium Theater". Chicago's Auditorium Theater "Landmark Stage" website

It was sometimes called the "eighth wonder of the world". The very large building, located at Wabash and East Congress Parkway, is now then home of Roosevelt University (which also owns the building). Design and Construction supervision was done by Denkmar Alder and Louis Sullivan. It is about to celebrate its 125th anniversary. (Frank Llyod Wright was also working as a draftsman in their office at this time, and he may have made some contributions to the design and/or decorations.)

It is not Sullivan's most influential work, (just look at any "Skyscraper"; Sullivan invented them). The building's exterior is fairly dull, not as memorable as the partners' greatest large-scale builidngs. But the auditorium itself is an incredible, outstanding realization of early "Prairie School" architectury, using stone arches and traditional decoration (ears of corn, waves of grain, and etc.) in ways which soon became nearly definitive of "early Prairie School" buildings.

It is restored to it's original splendor (mostly, restoration still proceeds.) This incudes old-style incandescent lighting, using carbon filaments. (I understand it to have been the first large building to be lit using ONLY electrical-incandescent technology, without any gas or oil fixtures.)

It was also the World's first large building with central Air Conditioning, which seems to have been nothing more than a temporary fad ha ) Air conditioning was done using electrical blowers over huge blocks of ice.

It's still in use, but not for it's original intended tenants: The Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Lyric Opera abandoned the building, because the amount of seating was just too large for their potential audience. (Chicago's Auditorium Theater can seat an audience of well over 4000 people, while Chicago's Orchestra Hall seats barely 2500. Royal Albert Hall is about 1200 seats larger than the Auditorium Theater, but has vast areas of poor sound and sight among those seats.)

Unfortunately (for the finances of the artistic organizations), attendees quickly figured out that the sound quality is nearly identical, nearly perfect, from almost any seat in the hall (and so are the sight lines). It became nearly impossible to charge a great deal more money for the "good" seats, because all the seats were (and are) VERY good. The public didn't buy the "premium seats" at premium prices. And there was nearly always A LOT of empty space available for concert goers who watched their wallets carefully, and waited for last minute "public rush" seating at deep discount prices.

In a rather extreme turn-around from the usual situation, "box seats" were added to the Auditorium as an afterthought, and (IMO) constitute the WORST seats in the Hall.

So, the CSO moved to a much smaller hall a few blocks away (Orchestra Hall on Michigan Avenue). It has only about 2500 seats, and IMO, concerts in Orchestra Hall sound much worse, from many of the "cheap" seats, than they would sound for an audience seated in the Auditorium. But sellouts in Orchestra Hall are quite frequent, suporting higher ticket prices in general; and centered main floor seats do sound a lot better than the cheap seats in the upper side balconies, supporting a big "premium" in pricing according to the specific seating area.

The Auditorium has no permanent resident Orchestra, and hosts a variety of performances - most of them by artists using big, nasty PA systems with "studio" microphones. They aren't necessary, except when Rock Bands (and similar) want to play in competition with a lot of simultaneous audience screaming. A Steinway Model D, alone or with Orchestra, would sound fantastic - even if the hall were completely filled with patrons who chose to drag along their winter clothing.

The hall is absolutely beautiful, both in large scale design and in tiny details. If you are ever in Chicago and have a couple of hours available, you should take one of the public tours. I'm serious, this is one of the World's most amazing (and pretty much neglected) venues.

Edited by Rick Stockton (12/12/13 05:18 PM)

#2196661 - 12/12/13 06:24 PM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: pianoloverus]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
I'm just glad we have the Royal Concertgebouw, but we're spoiled.

Couperin pièces, Ravel tombeau de C

#2196695 - 12/12/13 07:38 PM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: dolce sfogato]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Originally Posted By: dolce sfogato
I'm just glad we have the Royal Concertgebouw, but we're spoiled.

Don't forget the finest orchestra in the world which comes with the package!

#2197146 - 12/13/13 04:34 PM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: pianoloverus]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
So they say, well, I equally prefer the Wiener in the Musikverein, or the Berliner in their "Circus Karanjani", or the KCG in the MV or the B.Ph. in the C.K. or the W.PH. in the C.G, they all are fantastic, orchestras and venues.

Couperin pièces, Ravel tombeau de C

#2197305 - 12/14/13 12:27 AM Re: Most spectacular concert venues in the world [Re: Rick Stockton]
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Rick Stockton

It's still in use, but not for it's original intended tenants: The Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Lyric Opera abandoned the building, because the amount of seating was just too large for their potential audience. (Chicago's Auditorium Theater can seat an audience of well over 4000 people, while Chicago's Orchestra Hall seats barely 2500. Royal Albert Hall is about 1200 seats larger than the Auditorium Theater, but has vast areas of poor sound and sight among those seats.)

Now we know how many souls it takes to fill the Albert Hall.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
161 registered (AndrewJCW, anamnesis, accordeur, ando, ajames, 42 invisible), 1877 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156287 Topics
2295294 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
You & Your Piano
by DancerJ
22 minutes 27 seconds ago
Fun etudes?
by chasingrainbows
53 minutes 38 seconds ago
Music competitions are rife with corruption says JLWebbr
by pianoloverus
Today at 02:51 PM
Midi support removed from OS X?
by fizikisto
Today at 02:41 PM
Some interesting finds in a museum visit today!
by LarryShone
Today at 01:06 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission