Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2197312 - 12/14/13 01:06 AM A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed!
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Steve Villa-Massone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ZuxtigE0M&feature=c4-overview&list=UUzHOfVPDDZj1tnN_HlaGWPw

I have to say, It's nice to hear someone composing in the old style and displaying their work publicly. This man rolls his own piano around Paris and performs for the crowds. It's interesting to hear something resembling a cross between Chopin and Liszt. He's also quite the showman which for non-piano folk seems to spark curiosity and interest.

Here's another video of him playing 3 other compositions, he has a bunch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CFFooKjQII

I would encourage everyone to listen to the entire thing, he has some good stuff.

Edited by ChopinLives81 (12/14/13 01:07 AM)

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2197467 - 12/14/13 12:04 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: ChopinLives81]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

All I can say is, if this impresses you, you're pretty easy to impress.

Polyphonist

#2197472 - 12/14/13 12:12 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: ChopinLives81]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
YAY... Some more negativity on board!

Come on guys... This is one more composer/pianist that is not Chopin, or Rachmaninov, or Hamelin, or Horowitz... Ok...

But what does it matter? Does the community need our negative opinion on anything? Especially if there's nothing to lose, but a couple of minutes of youtube watching? Even more so, if someone is impressed by someone then so be it! Very well and very fine and dandy!

#2197476 - 12/14/13 12:17 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: Nikolas]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Nikolas

Come on guys... This is one more composer/pianist that is not Chopin, or Rachmaninov, or Hamelin, or Horowitz... Ok...

Hamelin is not a great composer. Horowitz would have been.

#2197478 - 12/14/13 12:20 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: Polyphonist]
jazzyprof Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

OK, let's hear your compositions.

#2197481 - 12/14/13 12:24 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: ChopinLives81]
A Guy Offline

Loc: St Louis
I feel his movements are over-exaggerated and just for the sake of showing off, but I like some of the music he played
Haydn Hob XVI 50 movement 1
Chopin Ballade 3
Liszt Hungarian rhapsody 8
York Bowen toccata

www.youtube.com/channel/UCKqmkVdn_41vKvDG-ELy0bg

#2197482 - 12/14/13 12:27 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: jazzyprof]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jazzyprof

1) How does that even follow?

2) Polyphonist is a competent composer.

#2197484 - 12/14/13 12:27 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: ChopinLives81]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I learned about Villa-Massone about a year ago I think.It's pretty amazing what he's been able to do. I'd like to see some of his works in print, but as far as I can tell, he writes exclusively for his own (interesting!) performances.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2197494 - 12/14/13 12:39 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: JoelW]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JoelW

1) How does that even follow?

1) He's judging another composer.

2) He's judging the OP's taste.

3) I'd like to hear his own compositions.

#2197495 - 12/14/13 12:41 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: jazzyprof]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

You don't have to be chef to say a meal sucked.

#2197503 - 12/14/13 12:58 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: ChopinLives81]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Joel: Hamelin has composed a set of etudes, if I'm not mistaken which are commercially available (unlike Villa-Massone, if not mistaken, or if so not from Schott (which I think is the publisher of Hamelin).

More over, yes, you don't have to be a chef to say that a meal sucked, but I think the Internet and the, what I personally call, myspace democracy, has given value to every opinion in the world, like it means something. No you don't have to be a chef to say that a meal sucked, but in order to critic publicly you should, perhaps be a critic, especially if you're all too strong about your opinions! wink

#2197506 - 12/14/13 01:00 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: JoelW]
2000 Post Club Member

You don't have to be chef to say a meal sucked.

You said

So, he's a chef dissing another chef and that chef's fans. He'd better be ready for a cook-off.

#2197507 - 12/14/13 01:04 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: ChopinLives81]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I liked it. Some of it sounded stylistically familiar, ideas borrowed from other composers, but they all do that. I think he's got promise. (He rocks around too much.)

Deborah

#2197516 - 12/14/13 01:20 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: ChopinLives81]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Something that most people don't get is that the "let's see you do better" fallacy goes both ways. This fallacy is based on the notion that one must possess equal credentials or skill in order to judge something. Well guess what -- judgements aren't just negative. You can judge something negatively or positively. By that fallacy's logic you would need to be a chef to even claim that a meal is good. Of course, nobody ever says "let's see how well you cook" with regards to a positive judgement. No, only defensive people whip this fallacy out when they feel threatened.

/rant smile

#2197518 - 12/14/13 01:21 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: Nikolas]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York

And here comes a little more. grin

Sure, I applaud the idea of stuff like this, and I applaud him (although I have no idea what K finds "interesting" about his playing) ....but I have a hard time getting very far with him because of how awful the playing is on the fast/loud stuff. To me it's basically unlistenable (although I did listen, to give him a chance). It's brusque, bangy, without any significant dynamic variation or any rhythmic flair or interest, no phrasing to speak of -- he plays basically like some people who get into the amateur competitions, get big applause from some of the audience, and don't advance past the 1st round -- and really compositionally I don't find it much at all either. Although maybe if he played it more listenably I'd hear more in it. And maybe he can play better than that but is just doing a caricatured thing because of the setting where he's playing.

But sure, I applaud the idea of stuff like this. Beyond that, I don't know. smile

#2197523 - 12/14/13 01:33 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: JoelW]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Something that most people don't get is that the "let's see you do better" fallacy goes both ways. This fallacy is based on the notion that one must possess equal credentials or skill in order to judge something. Well guess what -- judgements aren't just negative. You can judge something negatively or positively. By that fallacy's logic you would need to be a chef to even claim that a meal is good. Of course, nobody ever says "let's see how well you cook" with regards to a positive judgement. No, only defensive people whip this fallacy out when they feel threatened.

/rant smile
I don't feel threatened AT ALL, let me assure you!

If you think about it, isn't there enough bad in the world, to keep pointing out the wrongs about anything, especially something that's not proclaimed "the GOD OF THE UNIVERSE OF MUSIC" or something?

BTW, I know that I fell into my own trap, by judging a members' post (if you think about it... ;)), but am I a chef? If so can I post what I think is wrong with all the music in the world and your taste in music? Quite not I think! wink

More over polyphonist's post was about the taste of someone else. Not just negative to a random youtube guy and his music, but about the taste of another member.

Mark: Yes his playing is exactly that: Bangy, loud, almost too careless and fast to impress. Exactly that! He's on the street, he's not on Carnegie Hall. And your post isn't exactly on the too negative side... just slightly...

#2197530 - 12/14/13 01:54 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: ChopinLives81]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

But Nikolas, you DO have the right judge whatever you want. It's a wonderful thing. grin

I know it seems like Polyphonist's remark was rude but I don't think it's a big deal. His opinion of OP's taste is simply the expression of his own taste.

#2197531 - 12/14/13 01:58 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: ChopinLives81]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I only listened at first, but this time I went back and watched the video. I wonder how that guy doesn't get wrist/hand pain. His octave technique is so horribly tense, and he's using excessive amounts of vertical movement. eek

#2197536 - 12/14/13 02:11 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Online   content

....I wonder how that guy doesn't get wrist/hand pain....

He's pretty young. Give him time. grin

Prediction: Someone like that either arrives at a better way of playing within some years (not that many), or he quits. I'd guess the first.

#2197539 - 12/14/13 02:16 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
....I wonder how that guy doesn't get wrist/hand pain....

He's pretty young. Give him time. grin

Prediction: Someone like that either arrives at a better way of playing within some years (not that many), or he quits. I'd guess the first.

I'm only 18 and let me tell you, if I played that way for 5 minutes my hand would hurt like heck. cry

#2197541 - 12/14/13 02:21 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: ChopinLives81]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
*I'm* impressed...

One thing to keep in mind about "bangy" is the limitations of this particular piano, featured in the OP's link. Something that I learned over in the Tuner/Tech forum is that it is very easy to "overdrive" a small piano (which this Rameau is--small, and out of tune, exposed to the elements as it is.)

*IF* you come at it from a more imaginative perspective, in a way that is ready to appreciate rather than denigrate, and picture it with your mind's eyes and ears played on a well-tuned concert or conservatory grand, you might get a different picture. Play "what if" for a minute.

Even without using my imagination, though, I like what this man is doing. He's playing! I hear a lot of things in and through his music that, imho, are quite wonderful!

Edited by Cinnamonbear (12/14/13 02:23 PM)

#2197543 - 12/14/13 02:24 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
....*IF* you come at it from a more imaginative perspective, in a way that is ready to appreciate rather than denigrate, and picture it with your mind's eyes and ears played on a well-tuned concert or conservatory grand, you might get a different picture....

What makes you think I didn't try to do that? grin
(I did. Pretty hard too. I tried to give him every benefit of the doubt.)

Quote:
Even without using my imagination, though, I like what this man is doing.

As I said, I do too.
In a generic sense. ha

#2197546 - 12/14/13 02:31 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: JoelW]
7000 Post Club Member

If you're actually interested, which I doubt, they can be found on this site. And...

Well said.

If I had a dollar for every time someone has tried to use this fallacy on me, I would not be a musician. grin

Polyphonist

#2197556 - 12/14/13 02:42 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: Mark_C]
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C

And here comes a little more. grin

Sure, I applaud the idea of stuff like this, and I applaud him (although I have no idea what K finds "interesting" about his playing) ....but I have a hard time getting very far with him because of how awful the playing is on the fast/loud stuff. To me it's basically unlistenable (although I did listen, to give him a chance). It's brusque, bangy, without any significant dynamic variation or any rhythmic flair or interest, no phrasing to speak of -- he plays basically like some people who get into the amateur competitions, get big applause from some of the audience, and don't advance past the 1st round -- and really compositionally I don't find it much at all either. Although maybe if he played it more listenably I'd hear more in it. And maybe he can play better than that but is just doing a caricatured thing because of the setting where he's playing.

But sure, I applaud the idea of stuff like this. Beyond that, I don't know. smile

I think everyone seems to be confusing compositional skill and performance skill. Yes he does have an exaggerated bangy way of playing, but that doesn't reduce the melody, structure and overall idea of the piece in any way. I can sit down and bang out Chopin's op.9 no.2 Nocturne, that doesn't mean it's a crappy composition.

I'm looking beyond his performance. To hear music that doesn't sound like a movie soundtrack is refreshing. Lets take his compositions for what they are and imagine them playing in a more controlled and subtle way.

Check my videos @:

#2197557 - 12/14/13 02:43 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: ChopinLives81]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: ChopinLives81
I think everyone seems to be confusing compositional skill and performance skill....
I'm looking beyond his performance....Lets take his compositions for what they are and imagine them playing in a more controlled and subtle way.

You missed where I talked about that too. (It's in what you quoted.)

#2197562 - 12/14/13 02:52 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: Mark_C]
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No I saw it, that's why I started with "Everyone seems" It was more to emphasize my thoughts and yours.

Check my videos @:

#2197565 - 12/14/13 02:53 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: ChopinLives81]
Mark_C Online   content

Oh OK -- I thought I was part of "everyone." grin

But besides, most people are being very POSITIVE about both his playing and his composition! (So, it looked like you were talking to those few of us who aren't.)

#2197567 - 12/14/13 02:55 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: JoelW]
pianoloverus Online   content

Of course, nobody ever says "let's see how well you cook" with regards to a positive judgement. No, only defensive people whip this fallacy out when they feel threatened.
Because being nice to someone(saying something positive) vs. being nasty(many of the criticisms are in this category) are very different kinds of critiques. It's not only about whether the comment is positive or negative but about how it's phrased. When a negative comment is not phrased in a mean or arrogant tone, it rarely gets a comments about "let's see you do better than the person you're criticizing".

It's the same idea that some master class givers can give a lot of criticism but not be perceived as being mean or pedagogically inappropriate.

#2197581 - 12/14/13 03:17 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: pianoloverus]
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Of course, nobody ever says "let's see how well you cook" with regards to a positive judgement. No, only defensive people whip this fallacy out when they feel threatened.
Because being nice to someone(saying something positive) vs. being nasty(many of the criticisms are in this category) are very different kinds of critiques. It's not only about whether the comment is positive or negative but about how it's phrased. When a negative comment is not phrased in a mean or arrogant tone, it rarely gets a comments about "let's see you do better than the person you're criticizing".

Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement

Polyphonist

#2197620 - 12/14/13 04:55 PM Re: A modern day romantic composer? Color me impressed! [Re: Polyphonist]
pianoloverus Online   content

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement
Has nothing to do with my post. One can refute the central point(highest on the hierarchy) and still do it in an arrogant or mean way.

Edited by pianoloverus (12/14/13 04:56 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
123 registered (36251, accordeur, Abby Pianoman, Alex1, 38 invisible), 1522 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75566 Members
42 Forums
156235 Topics
2294545 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
teaching in a studio vs independently from home
by JRoberts
Today at 07:40 PM
First time piano buyer - please help!
by Ksi
Today at 07:29 PM
Verituner Data Download?
by A443
Today at 07:27 PM
Meaning of Perfect Fith in music theory
by Weiyan
Today at 07:14 PM
Practicing slow is only part of it
by Sweet06
Today at 06:50 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission