2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Steve Villa-Massone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ZuxtigE0M&feature=c4-overview&list=UUzHOfVPDDZj1tnN_HlaGWPw

I have to say, It's nice to hear someone composing in the old style and displaying their work publicly. This man rolls his own piano around Paris and performs for the crowds. It's interesting to hear something resembling a cross between Chopin and Liszt. He's also quite the showman which for non-piano folk seems to spark curiosity and interest.

Here's another video of him playing 3 other compositions, he has a bunch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CFFooKjQII

I would encourage everyone to listen to the entire thing, he has some good stuff.

Last edited by ChopinLives81; 12/14/13 02:07 AM.

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
All I can say is, if this impresses you, you're pretty easy to impress.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
YAY... Some more negativity on board!

Come on guys... This is one more composer/pianist that is not Chopin, or Rachmaninov, or Hamelin, or Horowitz... Ok...

But what does it matter? Does the community need our negative opinion on anything? Especially if there's nothing to lose, but a couple of minutes of youtube watching? Even more so, if someone is impressed by someone then so be it! Very well and very fine and dandy!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas

Come on guys... This is one more composer/pianist that is not Chopin, or Rachmaninov, or Hamelin, or Horowitz... Ok...

Hamelin is not a great composer. Horowitz would have been.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

OK, let's hear your compositions.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
A
A
I feel his movements are over-exaggerated and just for the sake of showing off, but I like some of the music he played

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzyprof

1) How does that even follow?

2) Polyphonist is a competent composer.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I learned about Villa-Massone about a year ago I think.It's pretty amazing what he's been able to do. I'd like to see some of his works in print, but as far as I can tell, he writes exclusively for his own (interesting!) performances.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW
Originally Posted by jazzyprof

1) How does that even follow?

1) He's judging another composer.

2) He's judging the OP's taste.

3) I'd like to hear his own compositions.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You don't have to be chef to say a meal sucked.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Joel: Hamelin has composed a set of etudes, if I'm not mistaken which are commercially available (unlike Villa-Massone, if not mistaken, or if so not from Schott (which I think is the publisher of Hamelin).

More over, yes, you don't have to be a chef to say that a meal sucked, but I think the Internet and the, what I personally call, myspace democracy, has given value to every opinion in the world, like it means something. No you don't have to be a chef to say that a meal sucked, but in order to critic publicly you should, perhaps be a critic, especially if you're all too strong about your opinions! wink

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You don't have to be chef to say a meal sucked.

You said

So, he's a chef dissing another chef and that chef's fans. He'd better be ready for a cook-off.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I liked it. Some of it sounded stylistically familiar, ideas borrowed from other composers, but they all do that. I think he's got promise. (He rocks around too much.)

Best regards,

Deborah
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Something that most people don't get is that the "let's see you do better" fallacy goes both ways. This fallacy is based on the notion that one must possess equal credentials or skill in order to judge something. Well guess what -- judgements aren't just negative. You can judge something negatively or positively. By that fallacy's logic you would need to be a chef to even claim that a meal is good. Of course, nobody ever says "let's see how well you cook" with regards to a positive judgement. No, only defensive people whip this fallacy out when they feel threatened.

/rant smile

Originally Posted by Nikolas

And here comes a little more. grin

Sure, I applaud the idea of stuff like this, and I applaud him (although I have no idea what K finds "interesting" about his playing) [Linked Image] ....but I have a hard time getting very far with him because of how awful the playing is on the fast/loud stuff. To me it's basically unlistenable (although I did listen, to give him a chance). It's brusque, bangy, without any significant dynamic variation or any rhythmic flair or interest, no phrasing to speak of -- he plays basically like some people who get into the amateur competitions, get big applause from some of the audience, and don't advance past the 1st round -- and really compositionally I don't find it much at all either. Although maybe if he played it more listenably I'd hear more in it. And maybe he can play better than that but is just doing a caricatured thing because of the setting where he's playing.

But sure, I applaud the idea of stuff like this. Beyond that, I don't know. smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Something that most people don't get is that the "let's see you do better" fallacy goes both ways. This fallacy is based on the notion that one must possess equal credentials or skill in order to judge something. Well guess what -- judgements aren't just negative. You can judge something negatively or positively. By that fallacy's logic you would need to be a chef to even claim that a meal is good. Of course, nobody ever says "let's see how well you cook" with regards to a positive judgement. No, only defensive people whip this fallacy out when they feel threatened.

/rant smile
I don't feel threatened AT ALL, let me assure you!

If you think about it, isn't there enough bad in the world, to keep pointing out the wrongs about anything, especially something that's not proclaimed "the GOD OF THE UNIVERSE OF MUSIC" or something?

BTW, I know that I fell into my own trap, by judging a members' post (if you think about it... ;)), but am I a chef? If so can I post what I think is wrong with all the music in the world and your taste in music? Quite not I think! wink

More over polyphonist's post was about the taste of someone else. Not just negative to a random youtube guy and his music, but about the taste of another member.

Mark: Yes his playing is exactly that: Bangy, loud, almost too careless and fast to impress. Exactly that! He's on the street, he's not on Carnegie Hall. And your post isn't exactly on the too negative side... just slightly...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
But Nikolas, you DO have the right judge whatever you want. It's a wonderful thing. grin

I know it seems like Polyphonist's remark was rude but I don't think it's a big deal. His opinion of OP's taste is simply the expression of his own taste.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I only listened at first, but this time I went back and watched the video. I wonder how that guy doesn't get wrist/hand pain. His octave technique is so horribly tense, and he's using excessive amounts of vertical movement. eek

....I wonder how that guy doesn't get wrist/hand pain....

He's pretty young. Give him time. grin

Prediction: Someone like that either arrives at a better way of playing within some years (not that many), or he quits. I'd guess the first.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
....I wonder how that guy doesn't get wrist/hand pain....

He's pretty young. Give him time. grin

Prediction: Someone like that either arrives at a better way of playing within some years (not that many), or he quits. I'd guess the first.

I'm only 18 and let me tell you, if I played that way for 5 minutes my hand would hurt like heck. cry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission